Chapter 13 – An Hour of Normalcy. No More, No Less
77 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Back in Chicago, back home. Dawn moved into the water crib with Tess and I. She said it was short term. Until she could sun proof a room in her apartment. Understandable, really. A two mile hike through an underground tunnel to get home was rather tedious. Though given how miserable the crib turned out to be in the winter, I suspected her delay was less the challenge of sealing off an area of an open concept apartment, and more avoiding having to explain to her dad why part of her home was set up to house the enemy. I didn't mind. Really. I hadn't met Tess’ parents until over a year into our relationship for similar reasons. With no pressing leads to follow at the moment we used the time to find a routine for our newfound relationship dynamic. I took to repeating everything Tess said out loud so Dawn could hear. Dawn put herself on a roughly midnight to noon sleep schedule. Split the difference between daylight responsibilities, and spending time with Tess and I while I was awake to speak for her. 

Once we were settled I gave Jules a call, “how's the Renfrue case?”

“Well hello to you, too, Jane. Why yes it is nice to talk to you again. I am doing well, thanks for asking!”

“Sorry,” I said, sheepishly, “haven't been out in a while. Lost my manners. How's things, Jules?”

“Great! Hey, since you're not going out anywhere, do you and Tess want to come over for dinner? Rachel is moving in, so it'll be kind of a housewarming.”

I paused for a moment, unsure of how to answer, “Uh, Jules— you do remember that Tess is a ghost, and I'm a vampire, right? I don't think downing a blood bag in front of your girlfriend is conducive to a long friendship.”

“Shit. I actually did forget that. Sorry. No pressure, but she did bend the rules to get you your new home. Maybe we could tell her?”

“If you think that won't be a deal breaker for her. She might think you've lost it, though. And she's dispatch, but she's a cop, too. I'm still wanted.”

“Well, if you're going to be my Best Maid at the wedding, she'll have to know eventually. Can't think of any other way to explain why the ceremony would have to be after dusk. And I feel her out about your case. Might not have heard about it? Jane is a pretty common name.”

“Fair point. But on that note, the Renfrue case?”

“Has anyone ever told you that you have a frustratingly singular focus?”

“Constantly. But it's related. Timothy Collier.”

“The murderer.”

“The vampire. He’s the one who killed Tess, too. Cases are related.” I knew now that I was the one who had actually killed Tess, but I figured Tim was still to blame for it. Hadn't turned me, Tess wouldn't have died. 

“Why didn't you mention that before? When you called in with the tip?”

“Slipped my mind. I had nearly been axed in half right before the call.”

“That explains all the blood on the scene.”

“Don't worry. Only most of it was mine.”

I could practically hear Jules’ eye roll over the phone, “State cops are involved now, by the way. They're supporting both us and the St. Louis PD.”

“Anything from the house tie him to Tess’ murder? None of the evidence I grabbed from the apartment would be enough. Blurry CCTV won't cut it.”

“Not yet, but I'll put the bug in their ear. Mention off hand the similarities between the scenes.” Jules was silent. The gears turning in her head, “ what about witness testimony.”

“What witness? There were no witnesses there.”

“You, Jane.”

“Jules, I'm wanted. I'm the primary suspect. What if I try to testify, and they arrest me instead?”

“Everyone working the case knows we've been friends forever. I'll say you reached out, and want to give a statement. With conditions. Safe guards for you.”

“Maybe. Could work.”

“It'll definitely work! But that's a problem for later. You're coming over for dinner this weekend.”

I glanced over my shoulder at my partners, “all right. Tess and I won't be eating, obviously, but you'll have to make a place setting for Dawn.”

“For who?”

“I— that is to say, we started dating someone new.”

—*—

I rang the bell to Juliet's house. 

“She lives in a house?” Dawn asked, “by herself? In this economy?”

I shoved my hands into my jacket pockets, “Yeah. Inherited it from her grandparents. She was the favourite in a small family.”

Juliet opened the door, and let us in. “You must be Dawn! Jane's told me nothing about you.”

Dawn shook Juliet's extended hand, “checks out. She's pretty awful at communicating. Can't shake that stoic facade of hers.”

“Hey!” I protested.

Juliet led us into the living room. She whispered, “abort mission. Trying to tell Rach about you went South.”

I nodded. Dawn, Tess, and I took the couch. Jules took the easy chair. Rachel joined us, and Jules started introductions.

“When Juliet said you were a vampire, I thought she meant you were, like, a goth LARPer or something. You look like a 1940's detective.”

“Uh, thanks?”

“Tess not coming with you?”

“Afraid not,” I lied, “next time.”

Well! We have an hour or so until the roast is done, anyone for Pictionary?”

We split into two teams, myself, Dawn, and Tess against Jules and Rachel. An even split, from Rachel's perspective. I let Tess move my hand to draw, so she wouldn't be excluded from the game. It was fun. Laughter was had by all. It felt good to pretend everything was normal. For an hour it was like the old days with Jules. Before vampires existed for me. When I lived in blissful ignorance. 

A buzzer rang from the kitchen, “oh! Food's ready!” Rachel said. 

We all moved into the dining room, Jules declining my offers to help.

Rachel and Jules returned from the kitchen carrying platters of food. Juliet expertly wielded the carving knife, and filled Dawn's, Rachel's, and her own plate. 

“None for Jane?” Rachel asked. 

“I'm, uh, feeling a little under the weather. I'll take a to-go container, and eat later.”

While everyone else ate, I regaled the table with the story of how Tess and I had met, with Tess making sure I included all the details. Nearing the end of the story, and as everyone came close to clearing their plates, Dawn her second, Jules’ phone rang. She excused herself from the table, and answered in the other room. From where we sat, we only got her half the conversation. 

“Yeah…what about him?... he's doing what?... you're taking him where?... fucking shit. I'm on the way.”

Jules sat back at the table. I raised an eyebrow at her. “What's happening?” I asked. 

“Henry Smith.”

“What about him?”

“We had him in cells. Trying to get information about Timothy from him. Watch said he started freaking out. Full on psychotic break.”

“Blood magic?” Dawn suggested, “could be Tim is tying up loose ends.”

Jules glanced between Dawn and I, “it definitely sounds like it's in your wheelhouse. I need to go check it out. Jane, you should come too.”

“To the police station?” I asked, leaving the ‘I'm still wanted’ unsaid, but implied. 

“No. Hospital. Henry's being moved. Admitted to psych.”

“What do you mean by blood magic?” Rachel asked Dawn. 

We all froze, having just realized we were talking supernatural implications in front of someone who had laughed off the suggestion before. 

“Rachel,” Jules said, “remember when I told you Jane was a vampire?”

“Yeah. What was that about, anyway?”

“I meant that literally. She’s literally a vampire. Like a real actual vampire.”

Rachel looked at me. I used a thumb to lift my lip, revealing a fang. “Took me a while to come to grips with that myself.”

“That’s— prosthetic teeth?”

“Oh, no.” Dawn said, “first hand experience those fangs are the real deal.”

“She can turn invisible, too,” Juliet provided.

“Not at the moment,” I said, “too well lit here. No shadows to work with.”

“Are you having me on?” Rachel asked. 

“Believe me, would’ve much rather had your roast, but I’ve been on an all blood diet for months.”

“You’re joking.”

“Jane?” Dawn asked, tapping her belt buckle where I knew she kept a small blade hidden.

I winced. “Fine.” I placed my hand flat on the table. I could heal up after what she was planning, but it didn’t stop that kind of shit from hurting. 

Dawn pulled her blade, and drove it through my hand. Fucking. Ow. Rachel screamed, and stepped back into Jules. 

“It’s all right!” I pulled the knife free, and held my bloodied palm facing Rachel, “see?” The flesh of the wound knit itself together. Dawn retrieved some wet paper towel for me to wash the excess blood off. I let Rachel inspect my hand.

“Trick knife?” She asked.

Dawn showed the knife to Rachel.

“If it’s any consolation,” I said, “Jules shot me before she believed me.”

“Sorry.” Jules muttered.

“SHE WHAT!?”

“Healed up as good as the stab,” I told her. “But we should get moving. In case Dawn is right about what’s happening to Henry.”

“I—” was all Rachel could manage.

“Sorry,” Jules said, “I’ll handle dishes when I get back. And, uh, answer any questions I can.”

Rachel nodded, her arms folded. Jules kissed her cheek, then turned to follow Tess, Dawn, and I out the door. 

In the driveway, Dawn grabbed Juliet's elbow, “Hey,” she said, “sorry. Spoke without thinking. Shouldn't have mentioned blood magic in front of your girlfriend. Just—used to being around people in the know.”

Juliet sighed heavily, “it's fine. Telling Rachel about Jane was my idea. I'll deal with the fallout later.”

—*—

At the hospital we were met by a beat cop. I kept my hat pulled low.

Juliet flashed her badge, “we're here for Henry.”

The cop nodded, “and them?” They gestured at Dawn and I.

“Consultants.” Juliet said, with no further clarification for the officer. 

They nodded and walked us through the halls, “he's fucked up,” the officer told us. “Damnedest thing.” He glanced over his shoulder at Dawn, and the brim of my hat, “what kind of consultants are you, anyway?”

“The specialized kind,” Dawn told him. 

With no further answers apparent, the cop shrugged, and continued walking. A security guard buzzed us into the nursing station. “That's Dr. Hammond. She's handling the patient for now.”

Jules shook her hand, “Detective Sharpe, Chicago PD. Any idea what's happening with my suspect?”

The Dr. shook her head, “first time seeing symptoms like this. Honestly, it's kind of spooky. I've worked with three Jesus Christs on the same ward. That I can understand. But Mr. Smith. Showing all the signs of withdrawal, but blood screen came back clean. He's not on anything, and by all appearances hasn't been on anything. Guy is totally clean.

Dawn glanced at me, then spoke to the Dr. “Can we see them?”

The Dr. shot a quizzical look at Jules, “it's fine,” she said, “they're with me.”

We were escorted out of the nursing station, and towards the locked door of the patient's room. Not a padded room, but nothing in it but a sink, a toilet, a mattress, and a thickly quilted blanket. Henry Smith was laying on the floor, drenched in sweat. He was screaming for blood. Dawn glanced in my direction with an unspoken question. 

“Not a chance,” I answered, “saw him out in the sun.”

“Why would that matter?” the Dr. asked. 

Shit. Seems both Dawn and I had trouble keeping our mouths shut in front of those not in the know. At least the journal I had read gave me an idea for the basis of a lie. “We've seen something similar,” I said, “this,” I paused to gesture towards the window, “is usually accompanied by an allergy to sunlight.”

“This could be an allergic reaction?” the Dr. asked. 

I shrugged, “it's possible. Can we open the door? Detective Sharpe here has some questions we'd like answered if we can calm him down.”

Henry changed the second the door opened. He sat bolt upright and sniffed the air. He rolled to his feet and charged in a smooth motion. One of the hospital guards grabbed the collar of my jacket and yanked me back so the door could be shut. Henry slammed into it full force. It rattled in the frame. He pressed his face to the glass and yelled, “Sire! Mistress! Please! Your blood—”

“You know them?” The Dr. asked me. 

“Must've mistaken me for someone else,” I told her. I looked to Dawn, “Any ideas?”

“A few. We should talk privately, though.”

The Dr. pursed her lips. Didn't like being excluded I guessed. Nonetheless, she showed Jules, Dawn, and I to a side room. 

Dawn wasted no time, “you said he was the help, yeah?”

I nodded. 

Dawn continued, “did Timothy call him anything other than the help?”

“Yeah,” I said, “called him a thrall, or something? You know what that is?”

Dawn grimaced, “unfortunately. A thrall is a vampire's servant. Compelled to serve. Addicted to blood.”

“But not a Vampire themselves?”

“No. Half vamp is the closest description. They've been fed a vampire's blood for a while. While they've got the vamp's blood in them, the vampire can control them from, well, we don't know for sure. A ways off, though. And they always want, need, more. Like Renfield in Stoker's. Someone turned fully, like you, gets to keep their free will.”

“Shit.” I said, glad that I hadn't been turned into a thrall. 

Dawn continued, “when we're hunting a vamp, thralls are usually the first line of defence. We try to save them when we can, but—” she paused to let the word hang in the air, “they're compelled to fight to the death.”

Tess had a few words, I gestured so Dawn would know I was listening to Tess. I relayed her question, “is that why you didn't stake me right away when you broke in? Trying to find my thrall?”

“Partly,” Dawn answered, “I really did want to hear it from you, but yeah. I was looking for the thrall when you woke up.”

“Sorry to disappoint?”

“Glad you didn't. Thralls are nasty business, and if you were wrapped up in that, I'd have had a few extra rounds for you in St. Louis.” She paused to shake her head, clearing herself of the visions of what might have been. “Point is, we've tried rehabbing a thrall before. They didn't make it. Can't cold turkey from vamp blood. We think it's possible to get them off it, but they have to be weaned off. Slowly. In here, Henry is going to deteriorate. He'll die. Sooner or later.”

“So what do you suggest?” Asked Jules.

“Up to Jane,” Dawn said, "it's her blood.”

“What about my blood?” 

“Not here, too many eyes. If we get Henry out, Jane, Tess, and I can try to rehab him.”

“He's still in police custody.” Jules said. 

Dawn shrugged, “never said it would be easy. But once he's off the sauce, if he survives, he might be more willing to talk.”

“Might?” Jules asked. 

“It's not a pleasant process. Might resent us for it.”

Jules leaned forward in her chair, “so we get him transferred. Somewhere. Somehow. We break him out on the way, and stash him where?”

“The crib,” I suggested, “we'll need time to set up a room like they've got here, I think. Get him out, get him clean, get him back in custody.”

“If he survives,” Dawn added. 

“If he survives.” I agreed. Vampirism aside, I felt awful for Henry. I knew addiction. But my alcoholism, even at its worst, never looked like that while I was climbing back on the wagon. The man was suffering with a capital S. 

We returned to the nursing station, and told the Dr. we had some ideas, but needed more research to be sure. Jules left her card, and we were escorted from the building. Jules told us she'd start working on a transfer while we prepared a holding cell in my home. Dawn, Tess, and I got into her jeep, and she started driving us towards the coast. Towards home. 

Dawn broke the silence, “Jane, if you don't want to do this, you don't have to. Until he's clean, he'll functionally be your thrall. Doing that to someone, even to help them. Hits close to home for you, I know.”

I didn't answer right away. My mind was occupied filling away everything I had learned. “It's for the greater good, I suppose. If you won't think less of me for—”

My sentence was cut off by a black van pulling out of a side street cutting us off. Dawn slammed on the brakes, but even so the front of her jeep dented the side panel of the van. Engines roared, and two more identical vans pulled up alongside. Brakes screeching as they came to a halt. Both our windows shattered. There was a sound of compressed air being released, and something pinched my neck. The vertigo was instant and debilitating. I was pulled from the jeep into the van. Tess screamed. My vision faded to black, but not before I saw Dawn get pulled into the other van. Darkness took me as I reached for her.

6