Chapter 18: Pear-fect Chapter
239 6 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 18: Pear-fect Chapter

(A/N: I’m changing the time period to be after 2300. It makes no difference other than the fact that the scientists other than geneticists are stupid.)

 

The electronic bell above the entrance chimed as I stepped into the biggest Pear-fectWorld, fifteen minutes from the library. A white, sleek and cold vibe envelops me like a hug. Screens everywhere, each displaying Pear’s latest and greatest.

 

Trying to banish the lingering embarrassment, I focus on the clerk who is approaching me. To say I was surprised would be an understatement.

 

All I can see is the guy from ‘Life of a Discord Moderator’ by Zero Budget Stories rolling towards me…… with a creepy smile on his face and rubbing his palms like a greedy merchant ready to moles- *cough cough* scam innocent minors.

 

“Welcome to the Pear-fectWorld, where every visit is a tech-tastic adventure! How may I brighten your day with the latest and greatest of electronics?”

 

“Uh, hey. I need a laptop and a phone. Nothing too fancy.” I say as I picture him in a Santa costume.

 

“Absolutely! Simple is the way to go. You've come to the right place. Follow me!” He drags me over to the platforms with the latest Pear has to offer. I hesitated, wondering if I should have gone to an android store.

 

I quickly dismiss the thought. It was widely known that even if android users had more versatility with their phones and always ganged up on iPhone users, it was indirectly stating that they were poor.

 

The iPhone users on the other hand would argue that the tech was state-of-the-art and shit, but everyone knew that all those fully Apple families just had more money than they knew what to do with. I mean, Apple TV? Bruh they just had to challenge the androids where they're the strongest?

 

 “This, my friend, is the PacBook Air. Lightweight, powerful, and just an absolute beauty. Perfect for your everyday needs.” Said the jolly clerk, interrupting me from reminiscing about my past life.

 

I take a breather and look over the laptop in front of me. “Everyday needs? Yeah, that's me.” I murmur as I continue to observe it.

 

It has a sleek and minimalist design. It's incredibly thin and looks lightweight, making it easy to carry around. The aluminium-like construction gives it a premium look and feel. The keyboard is flat and low-profile giving the impression that it’ll take time to get used to. Overall, it's a stylish and modern laptop that's much more of a fashion statement than it is as a functional device.

 

As if feeling my disapproval, the clerk hurriedly says, “But wait, there's more! Over here, we have the PacBook Pro. It's like the Air but on steroids. More power, better display, and, trust me, you'll look super cool carrying this around.”

 

He winked, and I couldn't decide if I was more disgusted by his action or by the fact that he admitted that this brand of electronics is more for fashion than practicality.

 

“Cool, cool. But I'm not really into steroids.” I say with a disgruntled expression and without paying the device a second glance.

 

“Ya, I totally get it! Ah, here! Feast your eyes upon the PacBook Pro Max. The Max is like having a Lamborghini when everyone else is driving golf carts. Top of the line, cutting-edge, and, frankly, it's a head-turner.”

 

He swiped his hands dramatically, as if revealing a magic trick. He’s really sweating now. Does he get a commission if he makes a sale? Probably, given how much effort he’s putting into this.

 

“Does it make coffee too?” I ask sarcastically, half expecting him to actually drag me towards a Pear Coffee Machine called – iCoMaker.

 

“If it could, I'd buy two!” Sensing my mood, he wisely switches targets. “Now, let's talk phones. Behold!! The iPhone Zv2! Folding display, futuristic design, and it practically knows what you want before you do.”

 

“It folds?” I inquire. More surprised by the fact that even after so long, the screens are still hung up on folding. What happened to the curved screen? Heck, why are the screens still made out of physical matter and not holograms?

 

Ignorant of the internal conflict I just found myself in, the clerk continued, “It folds like a love letter! And speaking of love letters, the iPhone X9 Pro. Triple-camera system, ProMotion XDR display—your photos will look like they're from a movie!”

 

He was on a roll, and I was being swept along. Still hazy from my realization that civilization had not made realistic progress for centuries, if the memories are to be believed.

 

“I just want to make calls, man.” I say, nose deep in the pool of thoughts.

 

“I hear you; simplicity is key.” Agreeing with me, as if he were just a lowly acolyte and I was a Sage who was bestowing the key to enlightenment onto him.

 

“But imagine making those calls with the PearPods Max! Absolute. Auditory. Bliss! And don't even get me started on the Pear Watch. It practically makes you a superhero.” Aaand the greedy-for-commission sales clerk is back.

 

At this point, I wasn't sure what to focus on. The amount of conspiracy theories I cooked up in such a short amount of time that Xenophilius would be proud. Or the sweaty tech store employee in front of me.

 

“I just need a laptop and a phone, dude.” I say, resigned and tired. My brain has been running on fumes. The embarrassment of less than half an hour ago and the recent attack of existential dread due to the future fate of humanity have taken their toll.  

 

“Of course, of course. Let's circle back to the PacBook Air. Simple, elegant and gets the job done.” He guides me with puppy dog eyes, begging me to buy it.

 

“Ugh. Alright, this one seems fine.” I pick it since I just want to get this shit show over with. Especially after seeing an obese, middle-aged man who had three chins, looking up at me with sparkly eyes. I’m pretty sure that he would call me onii-chan if I promise to spend money here. Blech.

 

Leaping in joy, he says, “Excellent choice! And for the phone, let's keep it classic. The iPhone S. Affordable, no frills, just a solid device all-round.”

 

“Okay, sold.” Rubbing my head, I agree to buy it without a glance. I just want to get this chapter of my day over with.

 

The clerk, positively exuberant and practically bursting with triumphacious excitement, rang up my purchases. After paying with hard cash, I gave a (former) villain’s number when he asked it for their regular system updates.

 

He was hella sus when I said that I didn’t have a phone but was convinced after I showed him one of the broken ones. He even offered to set up the purchased iPhone with a new number.

 

I walked out of there with a PacBook Air, an iPhone S, and a taste of having a vomit flavoured candy bean in my mouth. The clerk calls out as I left the door.

 

“Enjoy your new tech, and welcome to the Pear family!! (Muahahaha!)” I ignore the creepy laugh that I thought I heard and look up only to realize that the sun was starting to set.

 

I walked into a nearby alley and stored the stuff in the inventory. I decide on going back to the McD I first had human food at. After all, they had free Wi-Fi which Sage can use and a worthy distraction to keep me occupied, so why not?

 

Sage had long since digested the information from an entire section of the library and all she needed was Wi-Fi to start setting up my life and all I needed was food. Partially to wash out my muddled thoughts and partially because I can. Hehe.

 

(A/N: Yay!! 250k+ views on WebNovel and 10K+ views on ScribbleHub 🥳
I just realized that I don't have a 'plus' symbol on my laptop...... lol. I had to pull out my BT keyboard just for two taps. 

Thank you all and I hope you stick around with me and see this to the end. Recommend it to your friends [if you have any] or even in any Discord recommendation channels.

See you all in 2 days! Peace!!)

Like it? Add to Reading list and don't forget to toggle on your notifications!
Have some thoughts about my story? Comment it and let me know.

11