Chapter 2: Bad Writers Have Feelings Too
41 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 2: Bad Writers Have Feelings Too!


Jangmi had barely eaten breakfast before it came. Neon’s text had reached her phone!

Full of excitement, he texted:

‘Did you read it yet? How was it? Even your first-hand impression is fine!’

Jangmi nearly choked on her cereal when she read those words. Truthfully speaking, Jangmi was very cowardly when it came to things like this. She almost wanted to cop out and tell him the novel was great, but...Neon was a thorough individual. He would want details...and how do you compliment a story that you have 100% no interest in?

 

No, it was so bad that had Jangmi bought a copy, she would immediately request for a refund.

 

Jangmi stroked her chin as she sighed. There was no way the story was as bad as she thought, right? Maybe it would get better after the 200th chapter mark.

The manuscript that Neon sent her might be his first draft.

 

There was also one more scenario - that Jangmi wasn’t the target audience. That was also plausible.

 

Jangmi felt that she might just be boring that way, but she really appreciated a story with a believable protagonist. She never quite understood the hype surrounding the ‘overpowered protagonist’ - a guy that can do anything easily.

 

Coincidentally, those stories usually had a weak supporting cast. If the protagonist needs no one, why are they there? They could, in theory, be swapped with any other supporting cast from other stories and there would be no difference.

 

No, it was important to have someone around that could challenge the protagonist. After all, no human is perfect - and even those that seem perfect have issues they deal with in everyday life.

 

It was around 4:30 when her strict tutor decided to let her go for today.

“I’ll be back next week. Exam season is almost upon us. Just because you're homeschooled doesn’t mean you can afford to slack, alright?”

 

“Yes, Ms. Baek.”

 

Ms. Baek was the tutor of Jangmi’s father. She was quite the old lady. After the incident, her father had contacted the woman and asked for a favor. He remembered how much he loved her lessons growing up, and asked that she tutor his only daughter.

 

Despite being so old, she accepted. It wasn’t brain surgery or rocket science to figure out the reason why. It was clear that tutoring Lee Jungseon was the highlight of her career - the tale she told to all her friends and family. Jangmi’s father was highly educated and successful. He was an chemical engineer on the board of directors of a massive food conglomerate. He had retired already, only showing his face to smooth out complex issues or teach the younger employees. He was passionate about his job and his former company's sucess.

 

Ms. Baek acted like Jangmi’s father was her own son. To be honest, it was oddly eerie. It wasn’t as if the woman didn’t have her own family. She might be a divorcee, but she did have two sons.

 

Her youngest son had left for university, and her oldest had started a family already. Thinking about it like that, it wasn’t strange to see her working again. Even if she didn’t need the money. Jangmi just wished she wasn’t as cruel with her words, though.

 

“I’ll study well.” she figured short sentences might not offend the old dragon, but she was wrong. “You’d better. Honestly, it’s a shame that a man like Lee Jeongseon would father a child like yourself. If you feel ashamed for your troublesome past, you’d better make up for it in the coming exam. You’re graduating soon! Universities will not settle for your usual lazy behavior.”

 

Jangmi always found it funny how Ms. Baek would act as if she had known Jangmi for decades, when in reality, it was closer to a 7 months. Still, she couldn’t offend that woman - she knew her father valued her work. If she asked for someone else, he might just believe whatever that woman tells him.

"I'll do my best."

"Hmpf."

Jangmi: 'I said I'll do my best. Why are you displeased?! What was I supposed to do, sprout wings?!'

Jangmi laid her head down onto her desk. She was deep in thought. Perhaps she was drowning herself in meaningless thought in order to escape answering Neon’s messages. Jangmi had to be honest - she was terrified of saying the wrong thing.

Wouldn't that mean she would lose her only friend? And be confined inside that lonely world of hers.

Again.

Gathering courage, she held up her phone and typed:

‘Yeah, I did read it.’

Then, she decided her course of action: ‘It was good.’

Yes. Jangmi decided to lie. Telling Neon the truth, when he had expressed how uneasy and vulnerable he was, was definitely the wrong move. What if he gave up on his dream because of her words?

She continued, ‘The protagonist’ journey was fun.’ In a manner of speaking. ‘He always goes above and beyond.’ The comprehension of a normal human being. ‘I admire his parents.’ and how they don’t care about their young child’s well-being. ‘The romance aspects were plentiful.’ meaning, the protagonist flirts with everything that moves.

Half-truths were still kind of truthful, weren’t they? Oh, how Jangmi hated lying to him. But she had to, for Neon’s sake.

 

The guy had quit his high-paying job! Was she supposed to be deliver the killing blow? The sales will do that anyway!

 

She read and reread her texts again. Oh, Neon’s story was so bad! Now that she thought about it again, it really was a dime-a-dozen story that anybody with basic literacy could write.

 

But maybe it was the kind of story that selled? For every ingenious series that launches, 999 average stories emerge. Yet, the fact that those 999 series still survive the book market has to be due to the fact that most readers aren’t that picky. Yes, thought Jangmi. Maybe Neon’s work would do alright...?

 

Neon’s reply was instantenous. Wow, she thought. He really was glued to his phone.

 

Really?! I thought so too! To be honest, I modelled the protagonist after a friend at work. He inspired me to write and follow my passion.’

 

Jangmi saw the new topic arise and acted quickly. ‘A friend? What kind of person was he?’ She didn’t particularly care, but the less she had to talk about that book, the better.

 

‘Ah, he is a great person. Once during a work meeting, I stepped out. I felt nauseous and pissed off. Without even asking, he went to the nearest store and bought me some medication. He even talked to my boss and alerted them of my migraines. He was different from me. Always bringing positivity, and I guess I wanted to thank him through this work.’

 

Neon’s thankfulness shone through the texts. Jangmi was slightly startled. For her, Neon was that person who saved her from the loneliness - but for him, his unnamed co-worker was such a precious person. It put things into perspective. For Neon, it wasn’t about marketability - it was just about writing a fun story that showed the best qualities of his friend.

 

Jangmi’s face flushed in embarrassment. Why was she so negative?

 

‘That’s kind of you’, she wrote finally. ‘I’m not like that at all. Writing a book solely to express your gratitude...you’re really different, Neon.’

 

Neon gushed, ‘I’m not! You’re the same, Jangmi. You just underestimate yourself too much. It’s really tough to see.’

 

Jangmi thought about his words, but then she scoffed. As always, the kindhearted Neon was showing his gullible side. She wasn’t even half as amazing as he thought.

 

She was Do Jangmi - average and unremarkable. ‘Forever and always’, she thought as she closed her eyes. It was early, but a small nap never hurt anyone.

 

Years later, Jangmi wished she could hit herself with a roadroller for thinking like this!

Her problems had only just begun.

0