Chapter 76 – Escape
31 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Adion!” Adion woke up to Benji’s loud yell and his door bursting open.

“What the-” Adion got out of bed quickly, prepared to get attacked. The look on Benji’s face gave him a bad feeling.

“The Tyllen family manor has been attacked,” Benji said in a serious voice, “It’s chaos out there. No one knows much about what’s going on, but we should leave before trouble comes knocking.”

“Alright,” Adion nodded, “I’ll be ready in a minute.”

“I’m going to get Rufus,” Benji said, “Lomin and Sahra should be waiting downstairs.”

“Mm,” Adion nodded and moved to quickly get dressed. He threw his backpack on and headed down to the lobby as fast as he could. 

The lobby was much livelier than the early hour would suggest. Adion saw loads of people in fancy clothing getting out under the protection of guards.

Adion spotted Sahra and Lomin standing off to the side and walked up to them.

“Do you know what exactly is going on?” Adion asked.

“Just that the Tyllen family seems to have been attacked,” Sahra said, “And from what I can tell, it’s not a small attack. We were lucky that Benji sleeps light and woke up to the noise.”

“Who would attack them? The Derolm family?” Adion asked in a low voice.

“That’s what people are saying,” Sahra nodded.

“If it’s them, the Tyllen family is probably done for,” Adion said.

“Why would you say that?” Sahra asked.

“The Derolm family has had a Soul mage in the family without revealing it for who knows how long,” Adion said, “I get the feeling that if they’ve decided to finally attack the Tyllen family, they will make sure they’ll finish them completely.”

“That makes sense,” Sahra nodded, “But can they do that? Won’t the Imperial family punish them?”

“That’s what doesn’t make sense,” Benji's voice sounded as he came up from behind them with Rufus.

“Benji!” Sahra went to her boyfriend and gave him a hug.

“It’s okay,” Benji smiled.

“What did you say about not making sense, Benji?” Lomin calmly asked.

“An attack like this,” Benji answered, his smile disappearing, “If it truly is the Derolm family, there can only be two possibilities as I see it. Either they are in cahoots with the Imperial family and have permission for this attack, or they don’t fear the consequences that angering the Imperial family can bring. I’m not too fond of either of those realities, considering what we know about the Derolm family.”

“Yeah,” Adion said, “The fact is that our enemy is comfortable making this move, and now they are the most powerful family in the Silver Wall. Who knows what their next move will be.”

“That’s why I think it would be best not to return to Lermen,” Benji said.

“What?” Sahra said, “Isn’t that exactly what we should do? You want to stay here?”

“Not that either,” Benji shook his head, “I think we should leave the Empire. We’re not strong enough to get involved with whatever is happening, and we don’t have any information.”

“I guess that makes sense,” Sahra said.

“I think so too,” Adion nodded, “We are supposed to leave in not too long anyway. Might as well leave early and stay away from this mess.”

“What about our stuff in Lermen?” Rufus asked.

“I brought most of my things with me,” Benji said, “How about you?”

“Well, I always tend to keep my money with me ever since the amount increased significantly,” Rufus said.

“Me too,” Lomin nodded.

“I have most of my stuff with me,” Adion said, “We can always buy new clothes or other necessities. We’re pretty rich, after all.”

“Good,” Benji nodded, “Then let’s head down to the harbor and throw some of that money around. It’s going to be quite a few people wanting to get on a boat, I’m afraid.”

“Then let’s hurry,” Rufus said. He then turned to look at Lomin with a questioning gaze.

“I’m not that stubborn,” Lomin said, “I’ll hurry.”

“Good,” Benji said, “ Let’s go!”

The group took off running. The streets were not as chaotic as Adion would have thought. Sure, the people he saw were all running and seemed to be in a state of panic, but there weren’t that many people about. Adion guessed that most people just locked themselves into their homes, waiting for the storm to settle.

The harbor was far from the city center, and it took the team over thirty minutes of running before they made it there. Adion spotted only three ships still docked, with one just taking sail. 

“It seems to be some kind of auction going on over there,” Benji said, pointing out a bearded middle-aged man atop a bundle of crates, “Probably for a place on his ship, we should try to get on.”

They made their way over as quickly as they could and soon overheard the man yelling.

“20 silvers!? Who said that? Get them out of here. We’re trying to do serious business,” The man holding the impromptu auction yelled out as Adion and his team approached.

“Two Vastro coins for five people!” Benji yelled out.

“That’s more like it!” The man looked up at Benji with a smile, “Let them through people! Now that you see how business is done, I hope I won’t hear any more shameful offers. We’re leaving in 10 minutes, last chance!”

Benji led the way through the crowd of people who were all desperately trying to get a place on the ship. Benji handed over two Vastro coins to the auctioneer once they made it to him. The man pocketed the coins with a grin.

“I’m Captain Gyll. Nice to have you. Brell! Let these people onboard!”

“Thank you, Captain Gyll,” Benji nodded. 

The group was led onboard the ship by the man named Brell. They all breathed out in relief. Adion knew they might be stuck in Dorbarta if they were any later. Perhaps they could take a carriage to get away. But sailing down the Trident would be a lot quicker and safer.

“I’ll take you to your cabins,” Brell said, gesturing for them to follow.

“Er, Brell, was it? Where exactly is the ship heading?” Benji asked.

“Ellia,” Brell answered, “We’re stopping at Coreff and Peld, nowhere else, so don’t bother asking.”

“That’s good,” Benji nodded.

“We’ll take another ship from Ellia then, I guess?” Rufus asked.

“That or buy a carriage to take us,” Benji said, “We can decide later.”

“We have a cabin with two spaces left. The rest will have to split up one by one,” Brell told the group.

“Oh…” Benji said, “I suppose that makes sense considering the circumstances.”

“You and Sahra take the spot for two people, Benji,” Adion said. Lomin and Rufus nodded in agreement. 

“Thank you,” Benji nodded.

“Then you go two will go in here,” Brell said as they arrived in front of a door on the first floor below deck.

“Why don’t you come knocking once you’ve settled things,” Benji said, “We’ll talk about our plans going forward.”

“Sure,” Rufus said, and Adion and Lomin nodded in agreement.

Benji and Sahra entered the cabin, and the rest of them were led along to their own cabins. Lomin took the first one offered, Rufus the second, and Adion chose to take the last one.

“You’re in luck,” Brell said, “This one is for two people.”“Right,” Adion nodded, “Thanks.”

He stepped into the small cabin and noticed a figure already lying on one of the beds. 

You’ve got to be kidding me. Him?

“You?” A voice somewhat weaker than Adion remembered sounded from Astor’s mouth.

“Astor…you managed to get away, I see,” Adion said, thinking about asking for a different cabin.

There don’t seem to be that many options left. And I guess this guy might hold some information.

“So what happened?” Adion asked as he sat down on the empty bed.

“You, what are you doing here?” Astor asked with a small scowl. He looked like he had just run for miles, his blonde hair sticking to his face with sweat.

“Same as everyone else,” Adion shrugged, “Getting out of the city now that there seems to be some kind of war going on.”

“War…” Astor said, “Maybe.”

“What do you mean? What happened exactly?” Adion asked.

“I don’t have to tell you anything,” Astor said.

“Whatever,” Adion said. He turned around and lay down on the bed, facing the ceiling.

I should really check if there is a different cabin. I can’t stand this guy.

“It was the damn Derolm family!” Astor suddenly yelled, banging his fist against the wall.

“I guessed as much,” Adion said.

“You don’t know anything,” Astor said, “It wasn’t only them.”

Adion chose to ignore him. He didn’t want to give Astor the satisfaction of seeing him curious.

After a few seconds of silence, Astor continued, “I could feel four Soul mages at the manor. Four! I have no idea what families they were from or why they chose to attack us. The Derolm family must have offered them something.”

That makes sense. Without that much strength, they wouldn’t have had the confidence to attack the Tyllen family like this. I wonder if this is connected to the Heavenly Light or if it was something the Derolm family orchestrated on their own.

“They’ll regret it,” Astor continued, “My parents are still in Ellia, and we are still a Noble family. The Imperial family will end them.”

Maybe. If it wasn’t done with the Imperial family’s blessing. You might be sailing to your death, Astor.

Adion couldn’t help but suddenly feel a little bad for Astor. Adion had experienced exactly what it was like to be powerless against a stronger enemy that shows up out of the blue to kill your family.

Well, worse has happened to better people, I guess. Astor tried to move against Sell. If he had actually succeeded, I would have killed him here and now.

“Only you managed to get away?” Adion asked.

“I don’t know. I doubt many made it out, though,” Astor said, “ I was out drinking. When I came back, our manor was already under attack. It was so weird. The closer I tried to get to the main mansion to see what was happening, the harder it was to move. It was almost as if I was walking through water, not air.”

What!? 

“I don’t know what in Ganta they did, but I don’t think many people managed to escape,” Astor continued, “Is that the power of a wind mage in the Soft Soul stage? Or were they even stronger…”

That sounds more like the effects of that artifact. Only a lot stronger than what I felt. It was with the Derolm family? Did they steal it? Or are they working together with the Ferrem family? 

Anyway, they seem to have managed to figure something out. I don’t like that. An artifact capable of doing something like Astor described is bad news. Even if it wasn’t in the hands of my enemies, I don’t want anyone working on runes of space, that could make my powers less useful in the future. 

Damn. I should have just stolen it during the auction. Now, it’s far too late to get to it. And they might even be able to recreate it. I don’t like this at all.

“Why aren’t you saying anything?” Astor finally said.

Adion felt how the ship started moving, so he got out of his bed, threw his backpack on, and headed for the door.

“Because I don’t like you,” Adion said before leaving to find Brell about changing cabins.

You’re lucky, Astor. Your enemies happen to mine, too. So they won’t be meeting a pleasant ending.

Adion made his way through the cramped corridor, hoping to spot Brell somewhere. Unfortunately, he was nowhere to be seen. Adion finally reached the cabin where Benji and Sahra were staying and remembered he was supposed to meet them for some planning. 

Adion knocked on the door and called out for Benji. A few seconds later, Benji opened the door.

“Adion,” Benji said, “You’re the first to get here. Come inside while we wait for the others.”

Adion went into their cabin and noticed there were only two beds in their cabin as well.

“You managed to get a cabin all for yourselves?” Adion asked.

“We were lucky,” Sahra said from her bed with a smile.

“Mm,” Adion nodded, “I have to share a cabin with that Astor.”

“Astor Tyllen?” Benji asked, surprised.

“Yeah,” Adion said, “He managed to get away and is hoping to reach Ellia where his parents are.”

Adion then went on to explain everything he had heard from Astor about the attack and his own theories about it.

“That could be bad indeed,” Benji nodded, “What if they are deeply connected to Heavenly Light and somehow manage to develop runes that can be used against you or counter your abilities? It would be a real challenge causing trouble for them in the future if that’s the case.”

“I know,” Adion sighed, “But it’s too late to do anything about it now. We’re already on our way out of here, and I don’t think I can steal anything with a bunch of Soul mages around.”

“Yeah,” Benji nodded, “We’ll just focus on getting away from here. I’m sure some news will reach us about what is going on eventually. You should just focus on getting to Cyalis and on getting stronger.”

“Mm,” Adion agreed.

Lomin and Rufus eventually joined them, and Adion filled them in on what he had learned. The team then planned on what to do going forward. Even as they had calmed down, it was evident that leaving the Delovan Empire and starting the journey north early was the best option.

After a while, Adion left the team and finally managed to find Brell. Unfortunately, there was no space available, and Adion would have to spend the journey in the cabin he had been assigned.

Should I ask if Lomin or Rufus are willing to switch? No. Who knows what that Astor might try. At least I have the senses to wake up before he can get a chance to harm me.

Adion slowly made his way back to his cabin, dreading the journey ahead.

This is going to be awful. 

 

1