Chapter 79 – Delhelm manor
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“When did you grow taller than me?” Prago asked Adion as they greeted each other. Termon had only been gone for 20 minutes before returning to the guest house together with Prago.

“I’ve always been taller than you,” Adion said. 

“You’re a year younger. Why is life so unfair?” Prago complained.

“Alright, let’s get comfortable,” Termon said and gestured for everyone to take a seat, “I want to hear about your journey.”

“Of course,” Benji nodded and began to explain, “After the auction, nothing much happened. We headed to an outpost called Lermen, where we have stayed all this time. Nothing much happened there, I suppose. Well…”

Benji hesitated. Adion also realized that much of what they had been through wasn’t strictly secret, but nothing that could be shared casually either.

“Adion got himself a girlfriend,” Sahra said with a smile, helping Benji out of the predicament.

“Oh?” Termon looked to Adion, “Who’s the lucky lady?”

How did it turn out like this?

“Well, her name is Sell,” Adion said, his voice a little hesitant, “She joined our team for a couple of months, and…yeah.”

“That’s it?” Prago questioned, “Come on, more. Is she pretty?”

“Mm,” Adion nodded, “She could definitely be a princess.”

“Haha!” Termon laughed, “See! That’s how you talk about your girl. You could learn something from Adion, Prago. I don’t want to see you returning from the Academy without some romance.”

“What, I…I’ll try,” Prago sighed.

“You’ll help him out, won’t you, Adion?” Termon asked.

“I’ll make sure to guide him properly,” Adion nodded with a serious expression.

“I don’t like this,” Prago said.

“Just make sure Prago brings the girl home,” Sahra said, “Or he’ll end up like Adion, moping around, acting all grumpy.”

“I’m not grumpy,” Adion said, “I’m just focused on my training.”

“Pretty sure you’re grumpy,” Sahra said.

“So what happened to this Sell then?” Termon asked, “Why is she not with you?” 

“She had to go back home. But we’ll meet at the Academy again,” Adion said.

“That’s nice,” Termon smiled, “So you have hunted beasts all these months? And then you said you got on a ship when the Tyllen family was attacked?”

“Yes,” Benji nodded. He then went on to explain how they had been in Dorbarta to celebrate Adion and were lucky to get a spot on one of the few remaining ships. Everyone in the team chipped in with a few stories of their own from their time together. Termon seemed to enjoy listening, so they all made an effort to narrate an interesting story. 

Adion chose to tell them the story of how they had met Mashi and what he had learned about the Kuwamin from him. Termon seemed to have heard something similar, but their unique way of naming their children was news to Prago. 

Eventually, Adion turned to Prago to ask about runes, as he remembered him having a great interest in them the last time they met.

“Do you remember that artifact that was up for auction in Dorbarta?” Adion asked.

“Of course,” Prago nodded.

“I was just thinking, what makes something an artifact? What separates them from the runic devices we make? Is there something about them that is impossible to recreate?” Adion asked.

“Well, usually, an artifact is simply a runic device that was made during the Age of Wonder. But I believe ‘artifact’ sometimes is used to mean an advanced runic device,” Prago began explaining, “As for what makes the artifacts from the Age of Wonder different from the ones we can make, it’s that the runes back then were much more advanced, able to perform feats we can’t begin to comprehend how to replicate. 

“We also don’t know how some artifacts that have been found could be made. It’s a complete mystery. Most believe it would take a mage stronger than Pure Soul in order to recreate the feat. 

“But it’s not all like that. We have cracked quite a few old runes during the millennia, and we now have runic devices that would seem indistinguishable from an artifact to people at the beginning of the Age of Discovery.”

“There is no stopping him now, I’m afraid,” Termon said with a chuckle, “I’ll leave this little discussion for you two. Why don’t the rest of you join me as I give a tour of the place?”

“We would love to,” Benji said and got to his feet. Lomin and Rufus got ready to leave as well.

“I think I’d like to learn a little more about runes, actually,” Sahra said.

“Really?” Benji asked, staring questioningly at his girlfriend.

“Well, you know…” Sahra said and let out a sigh, “I’ve been cold for two weeks now. I don’t want to go out there again.”

“Hahaha!” Termon laughed joyfully, “I’m sorry. I should’ve realized. Take care to warm yourself up properly, Sahra.”

“Thank you,” Sahra said, slightly embarrassed.

Termon led the others away for a tour while Adion turned his attention to Prago again. 

“So if someone found an artifact, how would they go about trying to replicate it?” Adion asked. Sahra leaned back on her couch, closing her eyes. Adion was unsure if she was listening or not.

Prago’s face lit up, “That would be my dream. I think the title of Sage wouldn’t be out of reach if the artifact were impressive enough. But it wouldn’t be easy. You would have to use it and carefully feel how the mana flows down the runic pathways, something close to impossible even with an incredible mana sense. It would take years to familiarize yourself with it enough to try to replicate it yourself. That’s if the artifact is made using a method we can replicate, of course.”

“These runic pathways, how do they work?” Adion asked, “Actually, what exactly are runes? Just symbols?”

“Haha,” Prago laughed, “Runes are just patterns, and if mana flows through these patterns, a certain magical effect occurs. It could be as simple as the runic device heats up, or as complex as long-distance communication.”

“Long-distance communication?” Adion asked.

“Yeah,” Prago nodded, “I’m not sure whether-”

“Young master!” The voice of a man suddenly resounded as a man dressed as a guard threw the doors to the guest house open.

“Huh? What’s going on?” Prago asked.

“Where is Gold Termon? There is a problem,” The guard said.

“He is not here right now. What's the problem?” Prago got from his seat and asked.

“There are multiple people from the Tyllen family at the gate. They are asking for someone named Adion,” The guard hurriedly explained, “Gerlem saw Gold Termon enter with a few new faces today, so I was sent to ask about it. What should we do? Do we let them in? They don’t seem to be very patient.”

“What? Adion? Why?” Prago asked.

“Prago,” Adion said as he put a hand on his shoulder, “Wait a moment, let me think.”

Sahra also got up from her and was looking at Adion with a worried expression.

I can’t believe it. Well, I thought about it, but to think he would actually convince his parents to send people after me as soon as he arrived. 

I swear I’ll kill that- Wait, not now. Think. What are the options? Can we really fight? Nobles? In the middle of Ellia? 

I could probably get away if I go now, but the others…There is a great risk they get implicated and perhaps captured in my stead. If that happens, I have no way to get them out.

“Prago,” Adion said in a serious voice, “Go with that guard and tell those people I am here, cooperate, and hand me over.”

“What? But-” Prago began.

“Just do it,” Adion said, “Make sure not to act like you know me well. Make up an excuse for why I’m here. And-”

“Adion, what are you talking about?” Sahra said nervously.

“Just do it, Prago. I’ll be fine,” Adion said.

Prago stared questioningly at Adion. Adion smiled reassuredly at him, “It’s nothing I can’t handle. Don’t worry. I just don’t want to create a mess for your grandfather. So go.”

“Alright,” Prago nodded and turned to leave with the guard.

“Adion, what are you doing?” Sahra asked as soon as they left, “You’re going to go with them?”

“It’s our only option,” Adion said, “And I don’t think they’ll kill me, at least not immediately. I’m pretty sure Astor wants to flaunt his power and humiliate me. So I’ll have time to escape. You know I can get out of anywhere with my teleportation. It won’t be a problem. The Tyllen family also doesn’t have a Soul mage anymore, so I can hide my aura and sneak out undetected. 

“I can’t do any of that with you guys, though, so you need to leave ahead of me. Try to get moving soon. I’ll catch up with you, say, a day's journey north. If I’m on my own, leaving Ellia is not a problem.”

“But can the Tyllen family really do anything?” Sahra asked, “Their family is basically eradicated. I don’t know how many people they had left here in Ellia, but surely not enough to want to make enemies with a 1st tier family?”

“I’m also a bit surprised that Astor’s parents agreed to this. But they are still Nobles. Perhaps they want to use this as an opportunity to show everyone that. If that’s the case, they won’t back away easily.” Adion said.

Sahra looked at Adion with a conflicted expression before finally relenting with a sigh, “Mellan is a small town about a day's journey from here. We’ll stay in the most expensive inn. We’ll be there for three days. If you haven’t shown up by then, we’ll come to cause some havoc. So make sure to get out of there immediately.”

“Mm,” Adion nodded. 

“Don’t kill anyone if you don’t have to,” Sahra said.

“Why?” Adion asked.

“You’re only goal is to get out of there and reach us. Nothing else matters right now. And the murder of a Noble could escalate the situation.” Sahra said.

“You’re right,” Adion nodded. He looked out the window and thought he could see some people in the distance, probably the Tyllen guards coming for him.

“Sahra. I need you to do something for me,” Adion said.

“What?” Sahra asked.

Adion went to pick up his backpack and handed it over to Sahra, “Take care of this for me. Don’t let it leave your sight. It’s the most precious thing I have. It’s more important than anything.”

Adion stopped to look Sahra deep in the eyes, “And also…please don’t look inside.”

Sahra looked back at Adion for a while before nodding, “You can count on me.”

Adion turned to look out the window, “Can’t just stand here waiting, I guess. Do I really have to act surprised like some idiot?”

Adion heard a small sniff and turned to see Sahra with tears in her eyes.

“Sahra,” Adion smiled, “It will be fine. Really.”

“I know,” Sahra said, wiping the tears from her eyes, “You’ll escape right away, so I don’t know why I’m so upset.”

“That’s right,” Adion nodded, “Go upstairs so no one spots you and thinks to bring you along.”

“Mm,” Sahra nodded and turned to leave.

Adion took a deep breath and opened the door to step outside. 

There is not a prison in this world that can hold me. You’re just wasting everyone’s time, Astor. I will make sure to make you pay for this in the future.

“You were going to turn yourself into the Tyllen family? Are you crazy?” Termon’s scolding voice was heard just as he got outside.

“What?” Adion saw that there were no Tyllen guards around, just Termon, Prago, Adion’s teammates, and a few guards from the Delhelm family. 

“You were acting crazy, so I went to find Grandpa and told him what was happening,” Prago explained.

Termon walked up to Adion and flicked him on the forehead, “How were you expecting to get out once the Tyllen family had you? You’re just a Bronze mage, Adion. And do you really think so little of the Delhelm family that we would let a few Silvers come here and act as they wish?”

“But they are a Noble family,” Adion said, “They can surely cause a lot of trouble for you.”

“They have, what? Two? Maybe three Diamond mages left as the powerhouses of their family? The Delhelm family has over 30. There is no chance that the Imperial family will let them cause trouble for our family, especially in times like these.” Termon said.

“I guess…that makes sense,” Adion said.

“I didn’t take you for someone so reckless,” Termon shook his head, “Get inside again. Even if the Tyllen family can’t do anything, there is no point in staying either. We’ll leave tomorrow morning.”

“Right,” Adion nodded.

“Then let’s get back to it,” Termon said, “Continue your little talk with Prago. The rest of you, let’s see the rest of the manor.”

Termon then turned around to leave, Rufus and Lomin following. Only Benji stayed behind, staring at Adion.

“Adion,” Benji said calmly, walking up to him, “I’m not happy that a teammate of mine has caused trouble for the Delhelm family.”

Benji is angry!? Adion felt shivers all over his body.

“You’ve made sure to antagonize Astor at every turn since you first saw him, despite the countless times I’ve warned you to be careful of Nobles. And now it’s Termon’s trouble to handle, even after everything he has already done for us.” Benji said. His calm voice and expressionless face made Adion feel much worse than if he had been yelling.

“I…I get it, Benji. I’m sorry. I’ll make sure to make it up to Termon. And to you guys, too,” Adion said.

Benji only nodded and turned to leave.

I didn’t know Benji could be so scary.

“I didn’t know Benji could be so scary,” Prago repeated Adion’s thoughts from beside him.

“Me neither,” Adion answered.

“Well, anyway. Do you want to take a look at some runes? I can go get my notebooks.” Prago asked.

“Sure,” Adion nodded, still somewhat in a daze.

Prago ran off, and Adion stepped inside the guesthouse again.

I guess it was obvious for Prago not to believe I could escape and went to get Termon. A normal Bronze wouldn’t stand a chance after all.

Why was I so quick to hand myself over? I probably could get out immediately, but there are always risks involved. 

As Adion got to the living room, he noticed Sahra standing there with an awkward smile.

“Well, we sure look silly now, don’t we?” Sahra said.

“Yeah,” Adion said, “I suppose things got a little overly dramatic.”

“It was because you were so quick to go with them,” Sahra muttered, “I can’t believe I actually agreed.”

“Well, I guess it turned out for the best,” Adion said, “You ever seen Benji angry?”

“Never at me,” Sahra smiled, “But yeah, it has happened. Do you think all I fell for was his clever mind?”

“Girls like that?” Adion asked, surprised.

“Haha,” Sahra laughed, “Oh, how I wish I could see you acting tough in front of Sell at the Academy.”

“Whatever,” Adion muttered.

“Here,” Sahra said, handing Adion’s backpack over again.

“Thanks,” Adion said, taking it.

Nothing more was said, and they both took their seats again, waiting for Prago to get back.

 

1