Chapter 83 – Goodbye
140 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, what’s up, Adion?” Rufus asked as he took a seat on Adion’s bed. 

Adion had invited his teammates to his room after breakfast. He had a lot to tell them. And he couldn’t say anything at the dinner the night before as Termon and Prago were there.

“Well, I had a very eventful day yesterday,” Adion said. He then began telling everything that had happened from the first time he met Quahim, to how he went to ask for information about him, and finally, how Quahim had revealed his aura to him, easing a lot of Adion’s worries.

“You did all that yesterday?” Rufus asked in shock. “Yeah,” Adion sighed, “It was a busy day.”

“So what will you do?” Benji asked, “Will you stay and learn shadow magic?”

“I think so,” Adion nodded, “I can learn things from him that I might not be able to learn even at the Academy. And I really want to find out how he knows about me, and why he is so curious about me. I’ll head to Cyalis in a couple of weeks instead.”

“Mm,” Benji nodded.“I think that’s a good decision,” Sahra said.

“I knew we were going to part ways soon,” Benji said, “But I guess it suddenly got a lot sooner.”

“I hope we won’t have any tearful goodbye,” Rufus muttered, ruffling Adion’s hair.

“Are you ruffling my hair?” Adion asked, a little surprised.

“Bah!” Rufus scoffed, pulling his hand away.

“Hahaha,” Sahra laughed, “Don’t worry, Rufus. I’m sure we’ll all see each other again.”

“Mm,” Adion nodded, “You know where to find me.”

“We’ll probably hear your name resounding across the continent soon enough,” Benji smiled, “I just hope we don’t hear anything about a space mage.”

“Yeah,” Adion awkwardly smiled, “Don’t worry, my ability to hide my element is incredibly high after eating the Merillian Soul Peaches.”

“Somehow, I’m still worried,” Benji sighed, “But with your advancement speed, I guess it won’t be too long before you can stop worrying about these things.”

“Mm,” Adion nodded, “It’s still far too slow, but I’m soon going to reach Silver.”

“Soon?” Sahra asked.

“A week or two,” Adion nodded.

“Monster,” Sahra hissed.

“Adion,” Benji said hesitantly, “You don’t have to tell us, but…how are you advancing so fast?”

“I honestly don’t know,” Adion said, “Besides me having a better mana control than others and space mana being available everywhere, I can’t think of another reason.”

“Well,” Benji said, “I guess. But are you sure you have the Will to advance? A Silver core is no joke. You might want to take some time to really make sure you are ready to advance.”

“Don’t worry, I’m ready,” Adion said resolutely. He could feel that his Will was itching to compress his core to advance to the next stage. 

“Alright,” Benji nodded.

“Well,” Lomin said, “Since we are leaving the day after tomorrow, how about we go out for drinks tonight, just the five of us.”

“I would like that,” Adion said.

“Well said, Lomin,” Rufus nodded, “Since it’s the last time having a drink with Adion for a while, we should start early, no? How about we head out right away?”

“We just had breakfast,” Benji said.

“Oh, come on,” Sahra said, “It’s a special occasion.”

“I guess you’re right,” Benji smiled.

“Well, I first have to go to Quahim and tell him my decision. How about I come to get you after I’m back?”

“Sounds good,” Rufus nodded.

Adion left his room with his teammates and headed to Hevima. Adion had the route memorized by now and found himself in front of the store in just half an hour.

Adion made his way straight to the counter as he entered the store, where he saw the middle-aged elf working as usual. 

“Is Quahim available?” Adion asked.

“Mm,” The man nodded, “You can head upstairs.”

“Thanks,” Adion said and started climbing the stairs.

He found Quahim in the same position he had seen him the day before, painting by the window.

“I accept your offer, teacher,” Adion said and bowed slightly with his fist palmed in greeting.

 Quahim turned around to look at Adion with a slight smile.

“Good,” Quahim nodded.

“Will you tell me why you are curious about me now?” Adion asked.

“No,” Quahim said.

“Mind if I ask when?” Adion asked.

“In due time,” Quahim shrugged.

“Fine,” Adion sighed, “My friends are leaving the day after tomorrow. Is it fine if we start the lessons after they have left?”

“Mm,” Quahim nodded, “Come see me when they have gone.”

“Thank you,” Adion said, “So…I seem to recall a promise of a painting?”

“Right,” Quahim nodded, “Do you want to take a look at the happy ones?”

“It’s fine,” Adion shook his head, “You should keep them. And I already have my eyes on a painting.”

“Hermillin’s last drink?” Quahim guessed.

“Yeah,” Adion nodded.

“I hope your friend will like it,” Quahim said.

“I’m sure he will,” Adion said.

“Let Ferrith know, and he will help you wrap the painting,” Quahim said, turning back to his painting.

“Thank you, teacher,” Adion slightly bowed and turned to leave.

Once downstairs, the clerk named Ferrith helped Adion to wrap the painting. Adion felt really good about being able to gift something to Termon for his help. He hadn’t told them that he wouldn’t keep them company for the rest of the journey. 

Adion left the painting in his room as soon as he got back to the hotel. He then went to knock on the doors of his teammates. They were all ready to leave immediately, and they headed out on the streets of Rethi together.

“So where should we go? Anyone know a place?” Sahra asked as they were walking.

“Anywhere is fine,” Adion said.

“Yeah,” Benji nodded, “Let’s just walk around and take the first best bar we can find.”

It didn’t take long before the group found a cozy bar at the side of the road. As they stepped inside, Adion noticed it was mostly empty, which wasn’t surprising considering it wasn’t even noon yet. 

“I’ll order some beers. You guys take a seat,” Rufus said as he headed for the bar. Adion and his teammates took their seats in a corner of the bar where they would remain undisturbed even as the bar filled up later.

“So,” Rufus said as he came back to the table and placed down five beers on the table, “You’ll be Silver at the admission to the Academy. I don’t think that has ever happened before. If you were to reveal it, I wonder what the reaction would be.”

“I don’t plan on finding out,” Adion said.

“Haaah,” Rufus sighed, “I suppose that’s wise. People might be afraid of what you could become.”

“That’s right,” Benji nodded, “I’m sure a lot of people would want you on their side, but if they can’t, they would perhaps take great risks in order to eliminate you before you are too strong.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Adion nodded, “And I’ll keep up my aura training.”

“Good,” Benji smiled, “Well then, next time we meet, I look forward to hearing some amazing stories, Adion.”

“So do I,” Adion said, “You better not disappoint.”

“Sure, sure,” Benji nodded

“By the way,” Adion said, putting down his beer after taking a few gulps, “I won’t get to hear about what you’re so embarrassed about with your family, Benji. Isn’t it only fair you tell me?”

“Well…” Benji hesitated, “They’re not exactly embarrassing. It’s hard to explain.”

“I’ve tried for years, Adion,” Sahra said, “It’s no point. I’ll be sure to tell you everything next time we meet.”

“I guess I’ll have to settle for that,” Adion said.

“Are you looking forward to seeing your family again?” Sahra asked.

“Of course,” Adion smiled, “A reason for me staying here for a few weeks was actually that I wanted to advance to Silver before meeting them. I want to give them a real shock.”

“I feel bad for them,” Sahra said with a laugh.

“Are you going to introduce Sell to them?” Benji asked with a teasing smile.

“I…I haven’t really thought about that,” Adion said, “But I suppose I will.”

“Hahaha,” Sahra laughed, “You’ll have to spread out the surprises, or I’m afraid they’ll not be able to handle it.”

“Is it so surprising that I would have a girlfriend?” Adion asked.

“It is if she is a princess,” Sahra said.

“Oh,” Adion said, “I didn’t think about that.”

I’m also planning on handing them some of my pills. Maybe I should take things slow. I don’t want Grandpa to have a heart attack.

“That reminds me,” Adion said, “So I was planning on…” Adion hesitated. Everyone had their eyes on him. Adion coughed a little and continued, “I was planning to buy something for Sell. Like a present. But I couldn’t think of anything she would need.”

“How sweet,” Sahra said. Adion spotted Rufus nodding in approval.

“Do you have any ideas, Sahra?” Adion asked.

“Just buy her whatever, and she’ll be happy,” Sahra said.

“She would?” Adion questioned.

“Yes. Just put some thought into it, and it won’t matter if she already has something similar or more expensive. Would you care about the price or how convenient something was if Sell bought you a gift?”

“I see, that makes sense,” Adion nodded.

“Now I’m getting depressed that I won’t be around to tease you two,” Sahra said with a sigh.

“I guess that’s a good thing with you leaving,” Adion said.

“How mean!” Sahra said in mock-anger.

“You are free to tease me, Sahra. I’ll be sure to find some lady with just as much tingling romance as Adion and Sell,” Rufus said.

“Right…” Sahra looked at Rufus without much enthusiasm.

“Isn’t that Quahim a painter?” Lomin said, “Maybe you could ask him to teach you how to paint, and you could paint something for Sell?”

Adion thought about it and felt absolute dread at the idea.

“I think I’ll stick to a necklace,” Adion said, prompting laughter from his teammates. 

The group continued to talk and drink as the bar got more and more crowded. Adion was still feeling alright, but Benji had gotten noticeably drunk as night arrived. Sahra and Benji had been giving advice on what classes to take in the Academy, as well as some heads up about how admissions usually go. At least, it had started out like that.

“Cause some havoc, Adion,” Benji said, “I want to hear about the Academy turned upside down.”

“Benji,” Sahra said with a smile, “I think it would be better for Adion to keep low-key, don’t you?”

“Adion doesn’t have it in him,” Benji said, “And his talent is too outstanding. I’m sure he’ll be a Gold, no, a Diamond by the time he graduates. The Headmaster will give him the Academy then and there.”

“I’m not sure I would want to become the Headmaster,” Adion said, smiling at the drunk Benji.

“You have to,” Benji said, “And then make me a scholar. I want my own building to do my research. And you better pay me well.”

“Okay, okay,” Adion said, “If I become Headmaster, I’ll be sure to do as you say.”

“Good,” Benji nodded.

“Maybe it’s time for us to call it a night?” Adion asked.

“Already? The night is still young,” Rufus said.

“Mm, far too young,” Lomin nodded.

“I’m sure Benji can handle a few more drinks after getting some water,” Sahra said, “And we haven’t gone through everything you need to know yet!”

“I’m going to be at Cyalis almost a year before the admission. I’m sure I’ll-” Adion began but was interrupted by Sahra.

“You never know!” She said, “It’s our responsibility to make sure you’re prepared.”

“That’s right,” Benji nodded.

“Alright, alright,” Adion smiled.

“Hearing all this talk about the Academy, I’m jealous,” Rufus said.

“Well, you’ll get to visit the Kuwa Mountains, adventuring deep into the continent,” Adion said, “Who knows what ancient secrets you’ll uncover?”

“Haha!” Rufus laughed happily, “I guess you’re right, Adion,” 

“And there are other academies,” Lomin said, “Where you don’t have to be 17 to enter. If you really want to, you could head there.”

“No,” Rufus shook his head, “Sounds bothersome.”

“Then why are you jealous of me?” Adion asked.

“Well, you’ll get to go there already strong enough to graduate, having a princess as a girlfriend, known as a genius with a Gift. How is that comparable?” Rufus asked.

“I guess that’s true. I’m pretty awesome,” Adion said with a grin.

“Oh,” Sahra pretended to sigh, “He’ll go crazy with bragging without us to keep him grounded.”

“I never brag,” Adion refuted.

“I have a list,” Sahra threatened.

“I sometimes brag,” Adion admitted to everyone’s laughter. 

The group continued their drinking into the morning hours. Talking more about the future than the past. Not focusing on the goodbye, but excited about what they would get up to when they meet again.

0