Chapter 69 – Mephina
35 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That’s Mephina? She’s a beast?

“Hey there, cutie,” Mephina said for them all to hear, not using her aura but actually talking this time, “Have you been a good girl?”

She can talk? I guess it makes some sense for a monkey-like beast in the Soul stages to be able to.

“How long have you been here?” Sell ignored the question and asked.

“How long has it been? I’ve lost count,” Mephina said and did something resembling a shrug, still lying down on the branch above them.

Did she hear anything? More importantly, a soul beast like her must have an incredible aura sense. Is it possible to hide my strength and space element from her?

Adion quickly made a decision to ease his grip on the part of his aura that revealed his strength. Hopefully, that would give a false impression of his aura control, and Mephina wouldn’t dig too deep. It was much more preferable to reveal his strength than his element.

Hopefully, she won’t suspect me of hiding my element either, as that’s not something people normally do. There is a chance she won’t find out if I don’t give her a reason to look. 

If she finds out my strength, she might be content with that, thinking she has figured out all my secrets. But it’s a risk, even the Merillian Soul Peach, and my practice hiding my element, I don’t think I’m a match for a Soul beast if she’s really looking.

Mephina gracefully jumped down from the branch and landed in front of Adion and Sell. Her monkey feet dug into the ground. She was about as tall as Sell standing up. Adion also noticed that she was wearing clothes.

“Clothes?” Adion couldn’t help but ask out loud. 

“Hm?” Mephina turned to look at Adion, “You’d prefer that I was naked?”

“What? Er, no,” Adion said awkwardly.

“Ha!” Mephina laughed, “I’m only joking. I usually don’t wear clothes, but being around so many sapi, it just feels right. Surround yourself with only naked people for long enough, and I bet you’d feel weird having clothes eventually.”

“Oh…yeah,” Adion nodded.

“What are you doing here, Mephina? And tell me how long you have been here,” Sell said stubbornly.

“Afraid I caught you in doing something inappropriate?” Mephina asked back with what Adion thought was a smirk.

“No,” Sell denied, “Why can’t you just answer?”

“So rebellious,” Mephina shook her head dramatically, “What happened to the sweet little girl I once knew.”

“Mephina,” Sell said, “Act serious.”

“And what happened to calling me auntie? You always used to call me auntie,” Mephina lamented, “Sell…Are you trying to act tough in front of your boyfriend?”

“Don’t be silly. I haven’t called you auntie in years,” Sell said with increasing irritation.

“Interesting,” Mephina murmered. She then turned to Adion and looked him up and down.

I don’t like this. What can she feel?

“I can see why you were hugging him so tightly,” Mephina mused, “Not just a pretty face. I was worried for you for a second.”

She saw that? I didn’t feel her through my space mana, but she might have been further away than I can reach. Or I might just have been distracted.

Adion tried to feel her now that he knew she was standing there. Like he thought, he could feel her just like any living being that occupied space he held no Authority over. But what surprised him was that she wasn’t a clear shape that he could usually make out. It was like she had a cloud of unbreachable space around her.

I can’t use my Authority anywhere near her? How? Is her Will so strong that it goes beyond her body? Does that mean I can’t freeze opponents in space when they reach the Soul stages?

“Since when have you been here?” Sell asked, ignoring Mephina's comment as best she could.

“Why are you so adamant about that?” Mephina asked with a grin, “Were you doing anything more than hugging, perhaps?”

“If you’re going to be like this, you can just leave,” Sell said, crossing her arms and turning away to hide a slight blush.

Cute. Adion thought as he saw a side of Sell that he hadn’t seen before.

“Now, now,” Mephina said in a calming voice, “I just got her a few minutes ago. And I would expect a thank you. I did arrive just in time to stop that Tyllen brat.”

“We had it under control,” Sell said.

“You might be strong, Sell. But not enough to take on two Golds,” Mephina said and then turned to Adion, “And not this boy either. Even if his strength is quite impressive.”

So she felt my strength. I expected that.

Sell just smiled in response.

“What’s that smirk for?” Mephina turned to Sell and asked.

“Nothing,” Sell shrugged, still smiling.

Did Sell feel me preparing my attack? Or did she also have a way to deal with them? Just how powerful are her Words of Truth?

“Rebellious indeed,” Mephina sighed. She then did something resembling a pout and yelled childishly, “I don’t like it. I don’t like it!”

A groan came from the three Tyllen family members as their bodies got squeezed from the earth surrounding their bodies.

How can she manipulate earth so well? I guess Fellion could control wind well, too. They are beasts, but they are Soul beasts. Mephina is probably better at manipulating mana than me.

“Why did you even come here, Mephina?” Sell asked.

“To bring you to Ellia, of course,” Mephina said.

“I’m not going,” Sell said.

“Haaah,” Mephina let out a long sigh, “I let you leave on this little adventure because I thought you might need a break.”

Mephina then grinned, “It was also nice to have a break from your snarky behavior all day. I don’t know how Savi puts up with it.”

“I’m not snarky,” Sell said.

“Well, either way, breaks over,” Mephina said, “You didn’t think you could actually skip the ceremony, did you? Ylitha and Herfal would be furious.”

“Let them be furious then,” Sell shrugged.

Mephina and Sell stood staring at each other for a moment. Adion almost felt like he was intruding on something personal.

“Do you really think it will be appropriate to go to the celebration of the family whose young master I almost killed?” Sell finally asked.

“Hmm,” Mephina turned to look at Astor, still with only his head visible above the ground, “I guess I also did bury them. It makes for an awkward trip, traveling with people you’ve buried.”

Adion thought Mephina was speaking from plenty of experience for some reason.

“That’s right,” Sell nodded, “So let’s just ignore it. You go back to Dorbarta and relax, and I’ll keep training here.”

“Training…” Mephina said slowly and looked at Adion accusatory.

Should I say something?

“I do dread heading to Ellia,” Mephina said, “Too many sapi. People look at me weirdly in Amyss, but here, it causes a panic. Too many fear-spreading lunatics on the streets. You’re not one of those beast haters, are you, boy?”

“I have found myself at odds with them myself, actually,” Adion said.

“Mm,” Mephina nodded, “Very well, let’s stay here then.”

“Really?” Sell asked, surprise evident in her voice.

“I don’t really care,” Mephina shrugged.

“Then why did you-” Sell began but was interrupted.

“I cared a little, but now I don’t anymore, okay?” Mephina said.

“Right…good,” Sell said.

Mephina waved her hand, and Astor and his two guards flew up from their earthly prison to land roughly on the ground.

“Get out of here,” Mephina said, not looking at them, “We’re not going to Ellia.”

“Er,” Astor hesitated, “Of course, Lady Mephina, I’ll let the family know.” 

They turned around and started walking away with hurried footsteps.

“Oh, and Astor,” Mephina said before they managed to get away, “Had I not stopped you, I would have killed you all for what you were about to do. I expect an appropriate compensation from your grandfather.”

“Of-of course,” Astor stammered out. He gave a deep bow before turning away again.

“Should have at least beaten him a little,” Sell said.

“I’ll leave that to you,” Mephina shrugged, “Now. Tell me what you’ve been up to, Sell. How did you manage to steal those Merillian Soul Peaches from the Derolm family?”

Adion and Sell exchanged a quick look.

“It’s a nice trick, boy, hiding their presence with your aura. But it doesn’t work on me. So tell me. How? The Derolms aren’t that incompetent to not guard something like this.” Mephina said.

“Well,” Adion hesitated.

“Secret,” Sell said, lifting her chin.

“Oh?” Mephina smiled, “Very well, I won’t pry.”

Somehow, I don’t believe that. Please tell me Sell didn’t learn her weird deduction skills from this beast.

“So, you like my little Sell, right?” Mephina asked Adion.

“When were you leaving again?” Adion asked and tried his best not to show embarrassment.

“Ha!” Mephina laughed, “Cocky, I like it.”

“He’s cocky, but I’m snarky?” Sell questioned.

“Yes,” Mephina waved her off, “So, Adion. Are you used to being around Soul beasts? A high Bronze core at your age is very impressive, but not enough to give you confidence against me, right? What family are you from?”

“I’m not from a Noble family, if that’s what you’re wondering,” Adion said.

“I’m wondering what family you’re from. That’s why I asked just that,” Mephina said.

“Well…Lady Mephina,” Adion tried to figure out how to escape the old monkey’s questioning.

“Enough, Mephina,” Sell came to the rescue, “Just go back already. I’ll see you when it’s time to head back.”

“Why are you treating me like some stranger,” Mephina asked in a fake sadness, “Is it because of this boy?”

“It’s not because of Adion. It’s because of you. Can you please leave?” Sell asked.

“You want to take my little Sell despite knowing she’s engaged?” Mephina turned to ask Adion, “Oh? You didn’t know? Ha!”

Adion felt his stomach sink. His whole body felt incredibly cold.

Well, I guess that makes sense. She’s a princess, after all.

“Mephina!” Sell yelled, “Adion, it’s just some old pervert my parents arranged for me to marry. I have no intention of marrying him.”

Suddenly, the coldness was replaced with an incredible warmth—a large part due to Sell’s eagerness to clear it up with Adion before he misunderstood.

“Look at the boy, practically shining with glee. How very disturbing,” Mephina muttered.

“Bye!” Sell yelled at Mephina.

“And you,” Mephina said to Sell, “Don’t call Lord Hesfym that, even in private. You know better.”

“I’ll call him like I see him,” Sell said.

“What a mess,” Mephina sighed, “I remember you made a promise to your parents to marry him if they let you go to Cyalis. Did you forget that?”

“I made sure my words had a way out,” Sell muttered.

“Why would they do that?” Adion asked, “If Sell doesn’t want to marry him, then why would he even want to marry her?”

“You’re just a boy,” Mephina said and then turned to Sell, “And you’re just a girl. So you know nothing. Anyway, it’s not my mess. Or, well, I guess it is. But I can’t be bothered.”

Then explain it.

“How strong is he? This Hesfym guy?” Adion asked.

“Oh? Going to beat him up?” Mephina asked with a smirk, “He’s a Pure Soul mage, and many believe he will reach the stage above. Good luck. Ha!”

Above the Soul stages? How can they know he will do that? Well, doesn’t matter, really. I was already planning on becoming stronger than everyone else.

“It will take some time,” Adion shrugged, “But I’ll get there.”

“I called you cocky, but perhaps fool would have been more apt,” Mephina said.

“We’ll see,” Adion said.

“I’ll just beat him up myself when I get strong enough, pervy old man,” Sell said.

“Sell…I’m not joking. You shouldn’t call him that,” Mephina warned.

“Then don’t bring him up again,” Sell retorted, “Anyway, not nice meeting you. Let’s go, Adion,” Sell said and walked off.

Adion turned to walk with her. Mephina didn’t follow and simply watched them leave.

Weird day. Who is this Mephina? And that Hesfym? Why would a Royal family need to marry off their daughter against her will?

“I won’t marry him,” Sell said after a while.

“I know,” Adion said.

Sell turned to look at him, “You believe it?”

“What? You said you wouldn’t, didn’t you?” Adion asked, confused.

“Yeah, but…most people don’t really think I have a choice,” Sell said.

“Most people are stupid then,” Adion said, “I wouldn’t bet against you, at least.”

Sell looked away, but Adion spotted a nice smile on her face.

“That Mephina, who is she?” Adion asked.

“I guess she’s like a family friend,” Sell said.

“Do you think she…” Adion was about to continue asking if Sell thought Mephina had heard what they were talking about earlier. But he remembered how she had appeared without Adion noticing earlier, so he focused on his sphere of space mana and tried to feel for any areas out of his Authority’s grasp.

She’s following?

Adion felt that same cloud-like area of space he couldn’t control. It was following them at a distance. He turned to look back to see if he could see her.

“She’s following us,” He said to Sell.

“Impossible!” Came a loud shout from the distance.

Before Adion knew it, Mephina had appeared in front of them again.

“How did you know?” Mephina asked Adion, scrutinizing him with her red eyes.

Oh, I wasn’t thinking clearly, was I?

“You’re hopeless, Adion,” Sell shook her head but struggled to hold back her smile.

“I guessed?” Adion said, unsure.

“What a little brat,” Mephina said, “There’s no way you felt my aura. No way. And you weren’t even looking back. Did you hear me? No, no. Strange little guy.”

“Why were you following us?” Sell asked, crossing her arms.

“Well, you were hugging so tightly last time you were together. Who knows what you would get up to if left alone again? It is my responsibility as a guardian to make sure-” Mephina started talking but was interrupted as Sell conjured a ball of fire and threw it at her. It fizzled out before touching her, though.

“If you’re so embarrassed over it, you shouldn’t be hugging strange boys,” Mephina said.

“I’m not a strange boy,” Adion said. He was somewhat enjoying seeing Sell being embarrassed.

“I don’t like this,” Mephina said, shaking her head, “I don’t like it.”

“Then. Go. Away.” Sell said angrily.

“Haaah,” Adion sighed, “Why don’t you just come with us, Lady Mephina?” Adion asked. He would rather that this strange beast was around and he knew it than having to be on his guard all the time. It didn’t seem like she would go away anyway.

She might tell me more things about Sell, too.

“What!?” Sell yelled out.

“Oh? See, you can be polite if you try! Very well, I accept your offer. Let’s go!” Mephina said happily, taking a step forward.

“Adion?” Sell questioned.

Adion just shrugged. 

“So what are you? Some monkey beast? I don’t think I’ve heard about it before?” Adion asked Mephina, thinking he might as well get to know her better.

“Monkey!?” Mephina exclaimed, “So much for being polite! I’m an Aphelian Ape, brat!” 

“Aphelian Ape?” Adion asked.

“No education, just a brute,” Mephina muttered.

“They are a type of beast originally from Quemer; their tribe’s ancestors traveled to Shiora along with the ancestors of the Amyss family,” Sell said.

“Oh, I didn’t know beasts came to Shiora too,” Adion said.

“We had our reasons,” Mephina said.

Did they also want to look for the old headquarters of the Celestial Phoenix Sect? 

Adion turned to look at Sell questioningly and received a nod in response.

Can she read my thoughts or something?

“How long will you stay here, Mephina?” Sell asked.

“Oh, not for long,” Mephina said, “Even I have a limit on being around someone who doesn’t want me there.”

“Well,” Sell said, looking a little guilty, “If you weren’t so annoying…”

“Ha!” Mephina laughed, “I can’t believe that’s your attempt at comfort. I pity the hair on your head.”

Pity the hair on her head?

Adion looked at Sell’s hair but didn’t see anything weird. 

Sell brushed her hair a little and looked at Adion angrily, “It’s just a saying. Stop staring.”

“I’ve never heard a saying like that,” Adion said, still looking at her hair.

“She made it up just now,” Sell said, “She does that. Now stop looking.”

Sell grabbed Adion’s head and turned his face away from her.

“I’m going to puke,” Mephina said, looking back at them.

“See! That’s you being annoying,” Sell said

“I’m too old to be around you young people,” Mephina sighed, “I changed my mind! I’ll go back to Dorbarta.”

“What? You’re really leaving?” Sell asked.

“Yes, I’ll take a well-needed vacation, maybe scare some priests,” Mephina said, turning around to walk back, “Have your fun, little Sell!”

“Oh, yeah, bye,” Sell said.

“Nice to meet you, Lady Mephina,” Adion nodded.

“Whatever,” Mephina said, soon disappearing from view as she jumped up the trees.

“Is she…” Sell looked at Adion.

Adion focused on his sphere of space mana and could immediately make out that weird shape that he now recognized as Mephina. She seemed to have stopped in a tree a few hundred feet away.

Adion gave Sell an awkward look.

“Mephina! I know you’re still there!” Sell yelled.

“I’ll figure out your little trick, boy!” Mephina yelled from her hiding spot.

Adion and Sell looked at each other helplessly.

 

2