Chapter 71 – The day the world ends I
37 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I did it!” Adion yelled. He stood beside the scorched husk of a low Silver beast, head raised high, thinking about his accomplishment.

“We can see that,” Sahra said, “I still don’t get why you can’t use your space powers to do it, though. It would do the job better and faster.”

“I need to practice my fire,” Adion said, “Now that I can defeat Silver beasts solely using fire, I don’t need to fear being exposed much. At least not through people questioning my weak fire.”

“Congratulations, Adion,” Benji said with a smile, “You’ve worked hard.”

“I can’t believe you’ve improved this quickly,” Sell said, “It’s only been two months since you started studying my fire.”

It had now been a little over a month since he first showed Sell the concepts he was working on with his fire. He had spent a lot of time since then practicing together with Sell, as well as hunting beasts with all of his teammates. 

Even if his other abilities had to be put on hold for a while, Adion was fine with it. He wouldn’t have the opportunity to study Sell’s fire for much longer since she would be heading back to Iitha soon. Adion needed to make the most of this opportunity. He could always train his other abilities on his own later.

“It’s still not much compared to yours,” Adion said, “But who knows, by the time we meet at the Academy, I might have passed you.”

“No way,” Sell refuted, “You’re not the only one improving, Adion.”

“I guess,” Adion admitted. He had noticed that Sell’s fire was advancing in strength, which was incredible considering the power it already had. “I’m still the better space mage.”

“You are literally the only space mage,” Sell said, “Why do you keep bringing up that you’re better than me in it.”

“I don’t want you to forget and grow too cocky,” Adion smirked.

“How can I forget? Wasn’t it only yesterday that Karlan guy we met tripped so suspiciously?” Sell asked.

“He did?” Adion asked, “I didn’t notice. Don’t see what that has to do with me being a space mage either.”

“Right,” Sell smirked, “I am starting to feel it, you know. When you’re using your space powers. But it’s always been obvious, no one falls like that out of nowhere.”

“Sell,” Adion said with a straight face, “I really have no idea what you’re talking about. Aren’t you being a little paranoid? Some guys are just clumsy, nothing weird about that.”

“Tch! So stubborn,” Sell muttered.

“Alright, alright. You guys feeling ready to head back?” Benji asked.

The group agreed, and they picked up the beasts to carry back to Lermen. Adion walked next to Rufus on the way back, something he had arranged on purpose.

“So, Rufus,” Adion said in a low voice, looking ahead at the rest of his teammates to make sure no one got close enough to hear.

“Hm? What’s up?” Rufus asked.

“Well,” Adion hesitated, “You know.”

“I know what?” Rufus asked, confused.

Why am I so nervous? This is Rufus we’re talking about. Just ask.

“Er, so…how do I,” Adion hesitated for a while, trying to figure out how to formulate himself, “I like Sell, you know? A lot.”

Rufus got the widest grin Adion had ever seen on his face.

“Finally!” Rufus yelled out, causing the entire group to stop and stare at him.

“Oh, nothing, nothing. Just keep on walking,” Rufus told the others. 

“Actually, never mind,” Adion said, turning to walk away.

“Haha!” Rufus laughed, grabbing Adion’s arm “Sorry, sorry. I’ve just been waiting for you to come talk to me about this for so long. You’re really leaving it to the last second, aren’t you?”

“Well,” Adion scratched his neck awkwardly, “It’s been fine the way things are really. More than fine. But thinking about her leaving soon…I should tell her, right?”

“Hmm,” Rufus mused, “This is all a little more lovey-dovey than I’m used to. But I think I can give some advice on the matter. First of all, what’s your goal?” 

“Goal?” Adion asked.

“Yeah,” Rufus nodded, “What do you want out of it?”

“Well,” Adion hesitated, “It would be great if she felt the same. Do you think she does?”

“Well, you’ve been flirting like crazy for almost two months now. I would bet all my money on it,” Rufus said, “But what do you want out of it all? You want her to become your girlfriend?”

“Yeah,” Adion nodded immediately. 

“Hehe,” Rufus chuckled, “Good for you, Adion. I’m happy. But let’s make sure it’s a success then.”

“How do I do that?” Adion asked.

“Why don’t you ask her out on a date?” Rufus suggested.

“A date?” Adion asked.

“You know, just the two of you, spending the day together, doing things you enjoy,” Rufus said.

“Aren’t we already doing that basically every day?” Adion questioned.

“I guess you’re right,” Rufus scratched his beard in thought, “Since you’ve been so flirty for so long with nothing happening, things are a bit tricky.”

“How are they tricky?” Adion asked, confused.

“Well, if you suddenly lay this all on her now after doing nothing for so long. Won’t it come out of nowhere in a way? You want her to anticipate it, right? To hold her breath, wishing to hear the words of your mouth, not being able to think about anything else.”

“There is a way to do that?” Adion asked.

“There is,” Rufus nodded, “It’s called ‘amping up your game.’”

“What do you mean?” Adion questioned.

“You’ll have to go the extra mile from now on. From casual flirting to obviously making moves.” Rufus nodded along to his own advice.

“That…how would I do that?” Adion asked, nervous about Rufus’s plans.

“For you,” Rufus hesitated, “It might be difficult. I won’t say anything too concrete or what I would do. We’re guessing she likes you here, after all. So you shouldn’t change too much out of nowhere either.”

“Then, what do I do?” Adion asked.

“What do you do, huh?” Rufus mused for himself for a moment, “Well, from what I’ve observed so far, and from what I know about you two, this is my advice: make her blush.”

“Make her blush?” Adion asked.

“Don’t think I haven’t noticed you doing it already,” Rufus grinned.

I guess it feels nice to see blush. I do make the push occasionally when I think I can make it happen. Is it that obvious?

“Now all you have to do is increase it in intensity so that she notices you anew all over again. You want to be her boyfriend, right? Start acting like one little by little. I think this will get the best results while not changing your style too much.” Rufus said.

“I guess that makes sense,” Adion said, “Then what? When do I tell her? What do I say?”

“Well,” Rufus hesitated, “I can’t advise you there, Adion. Just make sure to be yourself and do it as you see fit.”

“Oh? I wasn’t expecting that from you,” Adion said.

“Well,” Rufus scratched his cheek awkwardly, “I may have been pulled to the side by the others and warned not to get involved with you and Sell and give you any ‘crazy advice.’ ‘Adion and Sell can make it on their own,’ they said. But now you come to me for advice, so what can I do? At least make sure to be yourself. Remember that. Lomin made it very clear to me that it was very important, and I don’t want him blaming me for anything.”

“You have been talking about us?” Adion asked.

“Obviously,” Rufus said, “And do you think I could stand to watch you drag this out for two months without some threats from the others?”

“I should thank them for that,” Adion nodded.

“What!” Rufus exclaimed,” With my help from the beginning, you would have been happily married by now. Ganta, are you taking it slow.”

“Right…Anyway, thanks for the advice, Rufus. It actually helped,” Adion said.

“Mm,” Rufus nodded, “Anytime, Adion.”

It didn’t take long before the team was back in Lermen again, leaving the beasts in the Outskirts Guild. Belra was at the reception like she was most days. She handed over the reward money with a smile.

“Some money for the celebration tonight,” Benji said with a smile.

“With those small coins?” Sahra questioned, “It’s Lomin’s birthday, we should splurge!”

“You always want to splurge, celebration or not,” Benji commented.

“Oh? It’s your birthday, Lomin?” Belra asked, “Congratulations!”

“Thank you, Belra,” Lomin nodded with a polite smile.

“Oh? Sell, is that you? How have you been?” Belra asked, trying to glimpse Sell, who was standing behind Sahra.

“Oh? Hello there, Belra, I’ve been good,” Sell said, trying to force a polite smile, a lot less successfully than Lomin. 

Belra was a kind person, but she often got a little too close and personal. She had taken a particular interest in Sell for some reason, and if she was unlucky, she could be stuck in conversations with her for hours.

“That’s good,” Belra nodded happily, “I remember when you first came here. You have really made a lot of good friends since then.”

“Yes,” Sell nodded, a more genuine smile on her face.

“Oh, right. You asked a lot of questions about Adion, didn’t you? You were so curious about him,” Belra said with a giggle.

“Oh really?” Adion asked, looking at Sell with a small grin.

“What are you smiling about? I could tell you were weird with a glance, that’s all.” Sell said.

“If you say so,” Adion shrugged.

“I thought you mentioned something about him being handsome?” Belra asked.

“That was you!” Sell yelled, “Don’t go around spewing lies. I would never say anything like that and, and…”

Sell couldn’t continue her berating as the group laughed at her. Especially Sahra was having a hard time keeping in her laughter.

“Hahaha! Belra, you really are precious,” Sahra said.

“I am?” Belra asked, smiling brightly.

“There is no point in denying it, Sell,” Adion shook his head, “Someone like Belra would never lie.”

Sell looked at him with a slight blush, making Adion almost drop the act at the sight.

“I really wouldn’t,” Belra nodded, “I’m sure someone said it.”

“Yes, you!” Sell exclaimed.

“That doesn’t sound like Belra,” Sahra said, “I guess it’s safe to assume you said it, Sell. Nothing else makes sense.”

“Mm,” The rest of the group nodded along, joining in on the joke.

“You guys…” Sell stared at them, “I’m going back first!” 

Adion watched Sell run away and couldn’t help but be a little excited. He had been a little more daring than he usually was. And if Rufus’s advice was correct, it was working.

“Well done, Adion,” Rufus said with a grin, slapping his hand on Adion’s shoulder, “Keep it up, and she will be yours in no time.”

“What?” Sahra asked. 

Rufus looked up to see Sahra, Benji, and Lomin all staring at him.

You can’t keep quiet for a day?

“Er, hehe,” Rufus chuckled nervously, “You see, I didn’t do anything. It was Adion who came to me. Tell them, Adion!”

What did they threaten him with to act like this?

“Yeah,” Adion nodded.

“Advice about what?” Sahra asked with a grin.

“Just you know,” Adion shrugged, “I thought I should tell Sell I like her before she leaves.”

“Finally!” Sahra yelled.

“Right!” Rufus agreed.

“Okay, calm down,” Adion said hurriedly, “People are looking.”

“You shouldn’t hide your love, Adion!” Sahra smiled.

“I’ll leave too,” Adion sighed and turned around.

“Now, now,” Sahra stopped him, “I’m just teasing a little. Anyway, good luck, Adion. If anyone can snag a princess, you can.”

I guess she is a princess, isn’t she? 

Adion started getting nervous at the thought. He didn’t think much about Sell’s background, but now he realized how impossible it was to be with her from a more realistic point of view.

“You…you hadn’t thought about her being the princess of Iitha?” Sahra asked awkwardly, “Well, I wouldn’t worry. If it’s you, there won’t be a problem.”

“Hmm,” Adion thought about it.

It really doesn’t change anything. I’m just letting irrelevant things make me nervous.

“Well,” Benji interjected after Adion didn’t say anything. “I’m happy for you, Adion. No matter what, I think being honest about how you feel before she leaves will be good. Now, let’s take a little rest before the celebration tonight, shall we? You figure out where you want to go, Lomin?”

“Mm,” Lomin nodded,  “A place called ‘Mergen’s.’ There will be a bard singing songs there tonight.”

“Oh, sounds fun!” Sahra said.

“Then let’s head back to the inn and recharge our batteries. We have a long night ahead of us,” Benji said.

The team headed back to the inn, and Adion went straight to his room, his mind lost in thought.

Should I tell her tonight? I’m kind of getting nervous thinking about it. Should I just let it be? I can wait until we get to the Academy…No. That sounds awful. I’ll just say it tonight. No need to postpone it. Straight to the point. Yeah.

Adion sat down on his bed and started meditating to clear his mind. It didn’t take long before his mind was lost in thought again, though.

Sell will be leaving any day now. It would be nice if she could just stay and travel to Cyalis together. But I guess this is fine, too. I’ll head to Cyalis early. Sell said she would try to head there early too, so it won’t be long until we meet again. 

I’m looking forward to it. Meeting my family, being with Sell, attending classes, and learning about the world and magic. I might be able to slip by the notice of the professors thanks to the Merillian Soul Peaches.

Adion had taken two more Merillian Soul Peaches together with his teammates a month ago. He had focused entirely on trying to get a feeling for his soul and hiding his aura, especially his element and strength. Unfortunately, it seemed that the peaches had a diminishing effect, but he still made pretty significant progress. Adion didn’t think even Diamond mages would have a chance at seeing his strength if he focused on hiding it, unless they were very well-trained in aura sense, that is.

He could slip by the notice of Diamond mages before, but that was when they didn’t try to feel his strength closely. Now, Adion didn’t think they would be able to tell no matter how hard they looked.

I’ll still need to be careful, but I have some more time to practice my aura control before going to the Academy.

Adion spent the next couple of hours between a state of focus and a state of having his mind wander. Eventually, Benji knocked on his door to tell him it was time to leave.

I guess this is it. Adion took a few deep breaths, trying to calm down his beating heart.

I’ll tell her at the end of the night. Whatever happens happens.

Adion got up from his bed and stepped out to see Benji waiting for him.

“Nervous?” Benji asked.

“No,” Adion denied.

“Hehe,” Benji chuckled, “Of course not. Well, let’s go then.”

 

1