Tea Time and Investigations
126 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Ross, I want an initial scene assessment report on my desk as soon as possible- make sure you communicate with forensics and send everything they need, especially regarding the note. Evans, I want you to get some statements from Samuel's classmates that either confirm or refute the note's allegations. I expect this all to get done as soon as possible, by the end of the week at the very most." Ethan barked at his poor, unsuspecting officers.

Ross and Evans flinched at the sudden tone, looked at each other worriedly, and nodded. "Yes, sir." Both patted Alasdair on the shoulder on their way out, offering a sympathetic look as they rushed to escape their captain's foul mood and judging gaze.

"Graham," Alasdair called, breaking Ethan out of his frustrated fuming.

'What."

"Don't you think it's strange that an 11-year-old supposedly knows what a suicide note even is? Especially considering how little we actually see suicide notes in our more typical cases." Alasdair pointed out, stopping Ethan dead in his trek down the stairs.

"What's your point?"

"I'm just saying, I get where you're coming from. I'm right behind you, so relax before you take my place as the office asshole."

"...Pfft." Ethan quietly allowed an amused laugh to escape. "If that's your idea of support, I'd rather have you get ready to meet this Evan character with me so we can move forward in this God-awful case. We have a long day ahead of us; don't expect me to slow down for you."

"I wouldn't dream of it. If anything, you're going to kick yourself for dragging around dead weight today. Are you sure you don't want Ross or Evans by your side? Especially since you're going to be talking to little kids." Alasdair jokes, making eye contact with Ethan, who turns in confusion at his response.

"What makes you think that?"

Alasdair laughs, " Oh come on Graham, like you don't know my track record with kids. They would probably agree with 99% of our department who call me an asshole if they were allowed to swear." While Alasdair's smile never betrays him, Ethan's demeanor immediately softens with endearment.

"You have three brothers who somehow survived your assholery their entire childhood. They grew up to be well-adjusted adults- well, Dylan did, I don't know about the other two. Last time I saw Patrick, he'd been bothering Avery's interns about hypothetically realistic dragon injuries. I never know what's going on with that boy." Ethan joked.

Making sure not to react to Ethan's casual mention of Patrick, Alasdair scoffed. "It's not like I was with them that long anyways, probably why they turned out to be semi-functioning dumbasses instead of mentally unstable psychopaths...Anyways, unless you want me to continue my winning streak and traumatize the kid further, you probably should take charge."

Without warning, Ethan jumped up to throw his arm around Alasdair's broad shoulders, despite Alasdair’s cries of protest, putting him in a headlock to drag him down to his own height. "Listen. Despite your depressing, self-deprecating comments, there's no one I trust more to watch my back. You don't have to do anything you're uncomfortable with. Just know I have full faith in your abilities, especially since I saw how you dealt with Arthur’s edgy Harry Potter phase: I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive my kids if they ever do that to me." Ethan shuddered, remembering Arthur's black, dyed hair and the pet snake he pretended to talk to.

Alasdair relaxed in Ethan's grip, allowing a smile to form on his face as he remembered his brother's dumb decisions, and shoved the detective sergeant away, "You're betting on the wrong horse, don't blame me when you lose all your money."

"I wouldn't dream of it." Ethan smiled, repeating back Alasdair's words.

The pacified atmosphere gets interrupted by Ethan's sigh. "This case is getting to me too much. I probably should clear my head before it affects my judgment- even more than it has, admittedly." Alasdair remained silent, not knowing what to say.

Finding his courage, he suggested, "You should go home for a bit. Daniel will probably be elated to see you since you're always busy at the precinct. Maybe you can ask him if he's heard anything about Samuel at school."

"Good idea! Let's go! Grace and the kids will be delighted." Alasdair, knowing better than to argue with an excited Ethan, allowed himself to be dragged towards the last terrace house across the street.


 "I'm Back!" Ethan announced as he and Alasdair entered the Graham residence. "And guess who I brought with me?"

"Daddy! Alasdair!" The next thing Alasdair saw was his captain being body-checked to the ground by two terrifying flashes of brown. Ethan, despite having the wind knocked out of his lungs and hearing his back crack from the impact, only laughed in delight as he brought his two little terrors closer to his chest.

Grace, who emerged from the kitchen, ignored her husband and children sprawled out on the ground and walked over to tightly hug Alasdair, who quickly reciprocated. "It's been too long since you came to visit, Alasdair. Coffee as always?"

"Yes, please."

"Tea for me, darling! And those fancy chocolates you only bring out for this wet blanket." Grace gave her husband a light kick as she helped her husband up. "Then you better work for it. Get the table set up for me, won't you?" Ethan simply responded by giving his wife a peck on the cheek and joined Grace in the kitchen to start setting up the coffee table as she asked.

Just as Alasdair was about to take off his coat, he was pulled further inside by Daniel and his pouting sister. "Alby, come play with us! We missed you!" 'Yeah, Allie, you promised to play with me and Ellie the last time you came; that was forever ago!" Sensing Alasdair's reluctance, Daniel and Elilicia started to pull more firmly, both now sporting the same pouting look Alasdair always saw on his siblings when they were little.

Not sure what to do, Alasdair sent Ethan a desperate plea for help, which was promptly ignored. Ethan, who was already at the table with Grace drinking tea and stuffing his face with chocolates, only smirked in amusement. "Kids, go easy on him. Alasdair and I have to head out again soon for work!"

Not sure what to do, Alasdair sent Ethan a desperate plea for help, which was promptly ignored. Ethan, who was already at the table with Grace drinking tea and stuffing his face with chocolates, only smirked in amusement. "Kids, go easy on him. Alasdair and I have to head out again soon for work!" 

That bastard. Alasdair cursed as he was dragged into the living room, listening to Daniel's new train facts and getting his short, unkept hair braided by Elicia's clumsy hands. 

Hello Everyone, thank you so much for reading! Your support means the world to me :)

0