What’s your relationship with the Emperor?
310 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

S.H.I.E.L.D.

Nick Fury stood at the podium with detailed profiles of the Mutant Brotherhood members before him, including their abilities and containment methods. At the top was intel on Magneto's crony Mystique.

"Director, we have people monitoring them. If the Brotherhood members change at all..."

"Our agents will act immediately," Hill affirmed.

"Didn't Mystique return to their base last night?"

Hill shook her head: "No Idea. After leaving Andrew's apartment last night, there's been no trace."

"Then where did she disappear to?"

Fury looked over the city's surveillance cameras, trying futilely to locate Mystique. He knew it was pointless though. If Magneto was the toughest mutant, Mystique was the slyest.

Her shapeshifting didn't just alter appearance, but all associated physiology like DNA too. Finding her in a crowd without 100% certainty was like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Fury descended the podium looking exhausted. In one night, the precarious balance he had worked hard to maintain between mutants and humans was destroyed. He didn't even know what would happen next.

Hill followed Fury into his private office. On the wall screen, satellite footage of last night's battle replayed endlessly. Fury had watched countless times already.

His instincts told him something was off in the video that he hadn't noticed yet. He just hadn't found it. Beside him, Hill also watched the footage curiously. No matter how often she saw it, it felt unreal.

Did those two even still belong to Earth's creatures? Seeing Magneto stabbed to death by the Emperor's wind thorns, Hill exclaimed: "I can't believe Magneto died just like that!"

"I thought the X-Men would kill him."

It was these words that jolted the silently observing Fury. "What did you just say, Hill?"

Hill was startled: "I said I thought Magneto would die by the X-Men's hands."

"Because..."

Fury cut her off mercilessly: "Repeat the first part!"

Looking back, Hill repeated: "I can't believe Magneto died just like that."

"Anything wrong with that, Director?"

Fury paused the video, looking between the pierced Magneto and the Emperor. "How did I only just realize the issue with Magneto's death?"

Hill asked, confused: "You mean Magneto isn't dead?"

Mutant suspended animation means were too common for them. But Fury had examined the body - it matched Magneto, and the last power unleashed fit him too. Each mutant's power was known to be unique so far.

So even if Magneto had faked it, why? Fury glanced at Hill, taking some documents from his cabinet as he spoke:

"Magneto's definitely dead, but the manner of his death is most bizarre about this fight."

Hill took the info Fury gave, listening as he explained: "From when the Emperor appeared, have you ever seen him take a ruthless attitude to enemies?"

"In the sewers, he helped the NYPD stop the Lizard mutant. Outside the station, he fought Green Goblin until critically wounding Goblin. When Goblin appeared after the spaceship landing, he only scared Goblin away."

Under Fury's control, the screen also showed the Emperor's leniency in each appearance - until freezing on Magneto's pierced body:

"So why did he kill Magneto this time?"

Hill looked between the info and screen: "Isn't it normal for someone to die with them fighting seriously? Plus Magneto was clearly trying to kill him."

"It stands to reason the Emperor had to kill Magneto."

"Yes, it seems normal, so I've overlooked this point until now. As I said, the Emperor doesn't seem a killer type."

"But why did he have to kill Magneto?"

After Fury's explanation, Hill also gradually sensed something amiss. She had witnessed it herself - the Emperor had been patient since entering the apartment.

"You mean...there's something else we're unaware of between the Emperor and Magneto?"

Fury nodded, adding: "Not Magneto, but the Emperor! Get someone investigating immediately who Magneto offended recently!"

"Even if he just bumped into someone on the street, I want to know!"

After this, glancing at the screen, Fury muttered: "We may soon know the Emperor's true face."

In Fury's mind, there was only one reason the Emperor would kill Magneto - Magneto had offended him first! It wasn't uncommon for mutant arrogance towards humans, especially a racial fanatic like Magneto.

Anyone provoking or discomforting him could be killed on the spot in Magneto's eyes. So Fury deduced it must be someone defying Magneto's attitude - possibly the Emperor himself!

The Emperor hadn't appeared in New York long, so Fury told Hill to check from the nearest timeframe. Hearing the order, Hill was stunned.

"Why search? I know who you're looking for." What Hill said next quickened Fury's breathing: "Based on the Emperor's appearances until now, the only one Magneto offended or was about to offend was..."

"Andrew Wilson!"

Hearing Andrew's name made Fury's pupils shake, recalling his humiliating visit to Andrew's home. He had used protecting Andrew as a bargaining chip for joining S.H.I.E.L.D. But under Mutant Brotherhood pressure, Andrew not only refused - he had looked down on them!

At the time Fury thought Andrew arrogant and conceited, soon to be taught a lesson by the Brotherhood that would have him pleading for protection and crying. But now...

If Andrew was the Emperor, his fearlessness towards the Brotherhood wasn't just reasonable - it was humble even! Then...

Fury's expression darkened further. Wasn't he the only real fool here?

"Hill, fully investigate Andrew's background and Magneto's whereabouts when killed. Cost is no object, I need to know!"

"Understood Director!" After Hill left, Fury donned his jacket, intending to find someone else who might provide clues about the Emperor. There were others also harboring doubts, not just him.

Andrew's House

Anna sat chatting on the sofa with Gwen, who happily introduced the new home's layout and Anna's prepared room. Seeing the hidden laboratories and precious equipment, Anna gained a rough estimate of the costs.

Not only was it all exorbitant, but some experimental setups were literally priceless. Yet here in Andrew's possession.

"Gwen, last time you said Andrew bought Stark Industries stock right? Do you know how much he got?"

Gwen thought then shook her head: "I don't. He didn't say, and I didn't ask further. I just know Stark stock is very profitable now."

Anna looked at her oblivious sister, not knowing what to say. Calling Stark stock 'profitable' was an understatement - it was a money-printing machine! Faster than actual money printers even.

Though ignorant, Anna realized Andrew's Stark holdings must be massive, his current wealth and assets surpassing most high society.

"Cousin Anna, let me introduce you to someone you met before."

"Hm?" Anna looked at Gwen quizzically. Letting go of Anna's hand, Gwen said aloud: "Red Queen, come meet cousin Anna."

The Red Queen's avatar projected before Anna: "Greetings Miss Anna. I'm the housekeeper AI here - the Red Queen! We've met previously."

"This is the AI from the computer back then?" Seeing the Red Queen manifest, Anna was shocked. Just this smart home AI of Andrew's?

Gwen nodded. "Yes, she's part of the family now. Ask her anything you're unclear about! Let's head back, Andrew's delicious food is waiting!"

Led by Gwen, they soon reached the living room for a sumptuous meal. "Andrew, I'll intrude a couple more days."

Andrew smiled amiably: "No problem at all, the room's empty anyway. It's fine if you like living here permanently."

"I'd love such a nice big house, but will fly to another country for a science conference in a few days."

Hearing this, Gwen said reluctantly: "Cousin Anna, you're leaving so soon after returning? We haven't gone out to play yet."

Anna replied helplessly: "Who knew a difficult case would come up right after I got back to New York? Now that it's close to solved, they want me there again."

"When will you be back then?"

Anna thought for a bit: "I'll return to you once done. The room's mine from now on right, Andrew?"

"Of course, that room will be yours anytime." Anna smiled, and then her eyes narrowed sharply.

Sensing the change, Gwen quickly asked: "What's wrong, cousin Anna?" But Anna ignored her, looking instead at Andrew:

"There's something I want to ask you, Andrew."

Facing Anna's shifted demeanor, Andrew just smiled lightly: "Go ahead and ask."

Gwen recognized this state of Anna's, only appearing when interrogating prisoners. But the object now was Andrew - had Pikachu been discovered? Or was her Spider identity realized from Anna's keen observations?

Flustered, Gwen leaned against Andrew: "Cousin Anna, what's wrong? Why so serious all of a sudden?"

Maintaining Andrew's front, Gwen's actions made Anna smile despite herself: "Don't worry Gwen. My next question will interest you too."

Gwen looked at Andrew curiously, cautiously venturing: "Andrew...are you seeing someone on the side?"

The words instantly dissipated Anna's aura, an awkward silence descending on them.

Anna: "..."

Andrew: "..."

Their eyes regarded Gwen strangely together... Is this the wrong you imagined?

Uncomfortable under their stares, Gwen realized she must have misspoken. "I mean...did you do anything bad to warrant cousin Anna's attitude..."

Head lowered unbelievingly, Gwen's fingers clicked together awkwardly. Holding her forehead, Anna directly asked Andrew:

"What's your relationship with the Emperor?"

To be continued...

***

Sorry For the Delay, Kinda Busy so have no time to update here~ You can Read this fic on WN also! Link in Patreon|About

10