Chapter 10 – Time and Timing
263 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vera

 

The ‘closed’ sign hung stationary against the window. The store was devoid of any presence and the only movement was the dust particles gracefully dancing in the golden light streaming through the glass. Bathed in daylight, the store exuded an unassuming and tranquil aura, a stark contrast to its usual nighttime atmosphere. It marked the first time she had visited during the day.

Approaching the window, flame-colored eyes beneath lightly creased eyebrows and tightly pursed lips emerged in the reflection. Each movement revealed a glimpse of a simple black forest-green dress peeking out from under a familiar black cloak.

In her right hand, she held something metallic that caught the light. It is an intricate piece consisting of numerous small parts. The cogs stacked on top of each other spun with purpose as the little hands moved to indicate the time. It was currently midafternoon.

Not knowing when the store would reopen, Vera debated whether to leave the gift or bring it next time. The clock was passed down from her mother’s side of the family. There had been a powerful craftsman somewhere in the line many generations ago. Despite persistent rumors about the clock holding mystical powers, she had found no evidence of such after years of experimentation.

Although he probably looked down on the gifts no matter how powerful they appeared to her, she still had to make the gestures. Even without any unique abilities, they added a pleasant touch to the surroundings. And who knew, perhaps she could bring something more enchanting the next time she visited. She would have progressed further in her new journey by then.

Magical. Power. The serene atmosphere, coupled with the warmth of the sun, relaxed her body. Her mind drifted into memories of her initial visit to the store.

She had failed an experiment for the 13th time, leaving her mind exhausted and plagued with self-doubt. Her body wandered the dark streets, lost in more ways than one. She was unaware of what drew her in, but eventually, she stumbled into the store. He was sitting behind the front desk with a book in hand, glancing up as the bell announced her presence.

She could picture how disheveled she must have appeared. Allen, perhaps mistaking her disorientation for intoxication, kindly offered her a cup of water. To her surprise, the ordinary water worked wonders, alleviating her symptoms and providing a momentary respite. It was a simple gesture, yet one that lingered in her mind. How long had it been since she'd experienced such a gesture, one that most people would take for granted, just as she once had?

"How are you, Vera?" he asked. The collision of memory and reality caused her brain to glitch as she stiffly turned around. A man approached the store with a bag of items in his arms, an unfamiliar black cat trailing behind him. Pushing against the door, it opened effortlessly. Vera was certain it had been locked. "Come on in since you're here."

"Thank you." Vera followed the bookstore owner into the store. The interior atmosphere differed from what she had imagined when peering in from the outside. Perhaps his presence was what bestowed the store with its otherworldly aura.

Vera browsed the shelves, her gaze frequently drifting towards the man who had settled into the chair behind the desk with a book in hand, much like in previous visits.

{“How are you, Vera?” The man asked her as she sipped on the water and her eyes trailed over the simple setup of the bookstore. Her gaze returned to the dark eyes that appeared under a bed of straight dark hair, uncommon features but not unseen.

It was nothing compared to the magical undercurrent that hummed against her skin, signaling that something was amiss. Her mind struggled to grasp the details of the warning.

“I’m feeling much better.” She offered her signature smile. “Thank you for asking.”

“No worries. Although I am unaware of what troubles you have experienced, I must remind you that indulgences will only soothe the mind for a limited amount of time, and the problem remains.”

He was right. She had been overly absorbed in her recent work. Was he warning her to refocus on her main goal? “I see, thank you for the reminder. I will take it to heart.”

He hummed approvingly before returning to his novel. Vera chose a book from the shelves that had caught her attention. It was only polite to patronize the store after being aided in a time of need.

“Mr. Allen, I was wondering if there is a borrowing policy for the store. I am afraid I left in such a hurry that I did not bring enough funds.” She had not a single coin on her person.

[Perhaps she would have been more cautious if she was in her best condition. Mental exhaustion gave her a fool’s courage, although for better or for worse only time would tell.]

“Yes, there is.” The man pointed to a contract that was already lying on the desk as if anticipating her arrival.

Glancing at the board, Vera's heart skipped a beat. Numerous faces appeared and disappeared, woven into the paper as if made of souls. Her eyes focused on the sparse words of the contract: 10 years. The paper didn't specify what the ten years entailed—was it ten years of her life, servitude, or something else?

Uncertain, she looked up at the seemingly innocent man, aware that external appearances could be deceiving. However, her hesitation did not last longer than a split second. Though the paper lacked clarity, her intuition warned her to sign it. She did.

“Perfect. Welcome back anytime.” The being smiled.}

In this world, there were many powerful beings. Encountering one wasn't surprising, but what shocked Vera was the interest such a being showed in someone of her stature. The realization of her status as a pawn made her stomach flip and her mind buzz as conflicting emotions seized her mind.

/Meow./

Vera shook her head as she returned to reality. A black cat was gazing at her with a look of…contempt.

/Meow/ 

Was it asking her for something? Despite not being particularly fond of felines, Vera exercised patience, considering the cat might belong to Him.

"Midnight, stop bothering the customer." The cat grumbled but complied with the command. 

“Apologies. Midnight is too playful sometimes.”

“It’s fine. It’s in their nature.” She walked towards the desk, remembering the gift. “I noticed there wasn’t a clock last time I visited and thought it would be handy. It’s nothing special, but I hope you won’t find it too distasteful.”

He gently picked up the gift and stared at it curiously for a little while before placing it back on the desk. “Thank you. It looks wonderful.”

Though she had anticipated the outcome, Vera couldn't help but feel a slight disappointment—it was just a decoration after all. She resolved to bring something better next time, perhaps a symbol of her progress.

“Did you not find a novel to your liking this time?”

Vera blinked, realizing she had not picked up a book this time. Before she could decide if she should pick a random book anyway, he spoke again.

“That’s fine. Sometimes the thing you seek is not apparent because it is not yet time. What is meant to be yours will arrive when the time is right.”

The time is not right. Vera’s eyes lit up as she received the enlightenment. Yes, that could be possible.

“Thank you.” He always knew what she needed. It reminded her that she need not guess His plans and should instead focus on putting all efforts into becoming more useful to the great being.

“Welcome back anytime.”

The door closed behind her as she departed, newfound purpose and confidence evident in her stride. Glancing at the sky, she noticed it darkening by the second. She had lingered in the store longer than she realized—time always seemed irrelevant within those walls.

Despite the hour being well past the scheduled time, she cared little. Her ability to show up whenever she pleased is a perfect example of power. She hoped they could deliver as promised. She was currently at a critical part of her research and needed to strike while the iron was hot.

She didn’t forget to cast a simple spell to prevent the smell from disturbing her as she stepped into the carriage waiting for her at the end of the street. Observing the growing number of law enforcement members patrolling the streets with confusion, she realized her news was outdated. Perhaps it was time to return once she reached a stopping point in her work.

Soon, the scenery outside the window changed from one of prosperity to impoverishment as the carriage continued unimpeded. The emblem on the carriage was not merely for show after all.

Curious eyes followed the carriage that was strikingly out of place in the slums before returning to their own business. Though tempting, anyone flaunting their wealth in these crime-filled streets possessed enough power to ensure they would not witness the light of tomorrow if provoked.

Nobody was that foolish—or so they believed. A destitute drunk staggered toward the carriage, fueled by either alcohol-induced courage or an absent desire for life, perhaps both. Tense silence settled over the street as everybody watched in morbid fascination, their tasks forgotten.

He ultimately failed their expectations, much like everything else in his life, crumbling to the ground before even coming close. In a sense, the drunk was luckier than anticipated. Everyone returned to their activities, disregarding the man now passed out on the streets.

Vera shifted her gaze away from the drunk man, who wasn't even worth her disgust, as the carriage continued its journey deeper into the nest of crime and desperation.

No matter the price, she will not fail again.

Started a Twitter for random thoughts while I procrastinate on my writing hehe. I hope something unexpected goes well for you today:)

18