Chapter 15 – Great Asset
136 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Should we really be doing this?”

“No, we shouldn’t.”

“Why are we back here again?”

The three boys gathered in a shadowy corner of the building, their hushed voices barely audible. They exchanged wary glances, keeping a watchful eye on the corridor nearby, where elusive shapes seemed to dance in the dim lighting.

"We should leave before it gets even later. I remember the way back." One of the figures in orange shuffled toward the open door across the room, then glanced back at his friends upon hearing a noise. "Umm, guys?"

No response. He clicked on the flashlight, revealing a trail of blood and a figure sprinting toward him. "Behind you!" the remaining friend shouted.

Before he could turn around, hands reached across his vision. The light went out.]

-

“F*ck this trash game! That has to be a bug.” Allen slammed his mouse against the desk. They had been so close to beating their high score. “Again.”

“Allen, you're obsessed with this game. I’ve never seen you rage in any other game.” Laughter echoed through his headset. “Timmy boi, are you still alive?”

Allen checked Discord, only to find that Tim had disconnected. "His power probably went out again."

Boom! Thunder rattled his bedroom window. It had been storming since the night before, and Allen was surprised their power hadn't gone out yet. The light flickered just as the thought crossed his mind. No way, could thoughts jinx things too?

"Well, I have an early class and a shift tomorrow, so I'm going to hit the sack soon."

“Since when did you care about school?” Despite his words, Allen still exited the lobby. It was getting into the degenerate hours. Mom and Dad should be coming back tomorrow.

"Of course, the rich brat won't understand the struggles of us normal people. I'm not even surprised." An obnoxious yawn came through the headset. "Happy birthday, but don't have too much fun. We still have games tomorrow night. Well, tonight now, I guess."

"Go sleep, idiot." Allen leaned back against his chair, stretching his stiff body. After the obligatory grunt of relief, he checked his phone to see if he had missed any messages.

“What the--where is my phone?!” Allen checked under the desk, under the covers, and snuck a peak in the bathroom. Nope. He frowned as he searched his memory. He hadn’t left the house in days and had just used the phone earlier. Maybe the kitchen?

The light flickered again before going out. Amazing. Good thing he had multiple power banks charged and ready. Now, he just needed to locate his only source of entertainment for the next couple of days.

“Where are you, little guy?” He absentmindedly hummed a small tune from the game as he strolled through the dark house.]

-

“What tune is that? It’s catchy.”

“Huh? What tune?” Allen glanced up at the mousy young lad who had returned with another slice of cake. Tiramisu this time, his favorite.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to interrupt, sir.” David scratched his head with a sheepish smile. “I thought I heard a familiar tune, but maybe I just haven’t been sleeping well recently.”

The young man was a lot less timid than before with Allen’s continuous efforts, but it seems old habits do die hard. Nevertheless, Allen felt proud of the progress.

“Something happened recently?”

David hesitated. “It’s nothing too serious; I’m just feeling a little anxious because I haven’t heard back from a…friend who ran into trouble recently.”

“Oh? That sounds serious. Have you already contacted the authorities?”

“The authorities?” The young man had a complicated look on his face. “That does make sense…?”

Allen nodded firmly. “Of course, that’s their job, so you don’t need to feel guilty about it. If your friend is in trouble, do you really believe you alone can solve the issue? What a waste not to use everything at your disposal.”

“Yes, you’re right! I can--my bad, I didn’t mean to be loud.”

“No trouble at all.” Allen waved away the apology. “I’m glad you’re able to see sense so easily in stressful situations. It’s a great asset.”

“Thank you so much for the compliment, sir.”

“Please, just call me Allen.”

“Thank you, Mr. Allen.”

Allen mentally sighed but didn’t push the issue. “Are you here for another purchase? How was the previous book you borrowed?”

“Oh, yes, I almost forgot. The book was exactly what I was looking for.” He brought out the book and handed it over: [A Dummy’s Guide to Myths and Legends]. “I was hoping to buy it, if that’s ok?”

“Of course! An excellent selection for a beginner.” Allen pocketed the money, instantly in a better mood. “I can recommend similar books for you once you understand the basics. Welcome back any time.”

-

James

 

James clenched his teeth at the sudden spike of pain.Those were the worst because he couldn’t anticipate them. “Are you almost done, old man?”

“Patience, Commander.” Issac switched to a different device. “Worry not, a full recovery to your previous state is entirely possible with plenty of rest.”

To the previous state, is it? He shouldn’t be surprised; there’s no method to return him to his full capacity. They had exhausted every avenue when hope still existed. Stop being a sentimental idiot, James. At least you still have all your limbs. Not everyone is that fortunate.

“That’s exactly what the other medical professionals said.”

“Well, they should be, at the very least, competent to this degree. You would do well to follow our advice if you aren’t a fool. But that’s a bit too much to hope for, I suppose.”

James ignored the snide comment as he shrugged on his shirt and jacket. “Contrary to popular opinion, I do rest.”

"Sure, as you say." Isaac shifted his focus to his notes. "Please do remember to assign me as your autopsy doctor before you attempt anything else, Commander. We can never be too safe."

“As if I would trust you with my body. The organization has officially-appointed doctors for that if the situation ever arises.”

“I’ll treat it a lot better than you ever will, that’s for certain,” Issac mumbled under his breath. “Do lock the door on your way out, Commander James. I’ve recently discovered a very promising direction for my research that I wish to test. You’re not the only one with prior commitments and obligations around here.”

He always needed to get the last word. It's been over a decade, and he hasn't changed in the least bit. James resisted the urge to roll his eyes as he exited the laboratory-turned-examination room. He wouldn't be surprised if Isaac doesn't leave his 'cave' for the next few days, at the very least. His dedication to his research cannot be denied.

The interrogation team was likely occupied with the mole at this moment. Sam was handling the deployment of recovery teams. The situation remained urgent, but currently, there was nothing James could contribute that would yield immediate results. Time for some shut-eye?

"Commander James, there's someone asking for you," Sam informed him as soon as he returned to his office.

“Who?”

“A young man who claims to be your nephew.”

David? James was curious about what could bring him to the office, as he had never shown interest in visiting before. Or perhaps he was in some sort of trouble. Hopefully not. What am I thinking? The kid is not the type to seek out trouble.

James rubbed his weary face with his hands. "Alright, thanks for letting me know. I'll go meet him. Front lobby, yes?"

James found his only nephew pacing in the front lobby, appearing anxious about something. His brows furrowed. "David, it's nice to see you again. Did something happen?"

The young man's eyes lit up at the sight of him, a cheeky smile lingering on his face. "Uncle James, must there be something wrong for me to visit?"

James smiled, realizing he had been overthinking. "I suppose not. So, what brings you here? Surely you're not visiting because you were bored? Or did you change your mind about joining the agency?"

"Yes, exactly. I had a breakthrough in my thinking after you left the other day. Even if I don't wish to pursue a career in the industry, having some experience doesn't seem like a bad idea?"

James stared at David in surprise. He had been mostly joking, but he was pleasantly surprised by the answer. It would be much easier to keep an eye on the kid if he kept him closer. "That's great news. Here, let's go back to my office, and you can tell me all about it as we look into possible internship positions."

As they walked back to the office, James listened to the kid speak excitedly about his recent revelation. Though he was slowly becoming a grown young man, he would always remain a kid in James's eyes. He felt relieved that David didn't seem to be affected by the untimely visit the other day.

"David, this is my assistant, Sam. Sam, this is my favorite nephew, David," James introduced as he sat behind his desk and pulled a couple of files from the drawer.

Sam shook David's hand before turning to leave. “Commander James, I will go check on the update from Team B.”

“Yes, go ahead. Let me know if anything changes.” James beckoned for David to take a look at the folder. “I have a few positions in mind…”

I've been recently obssessed with a game hehe. Happy Chapter day! 2024 is right around the corner, let's all have a great year!

Year 2024:
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
8