Chapter 17 – Not all Memories are Worth Remembering
111 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

David

 

[David.]

O7? Are you alright?

[My faculties are functioning as normal.…you are in good condition.]

Yes, but I do not remember what happened. Is there something I should be worried about?

[Some memories are dangerous. Fortunately, Master Ethrion has authority in the realm of memories.]

What about the advancement? Will that still be happening?

[Yes. Loading…]

“I’m assuming you’re David?”

Startled, David’s heart skipped a beat despite knowing it was impossible for someone to hear the conversation in his head. An older man in a lab coat scrutinized him curiously. The unprovoked attention made goosebumps rise along his arms and sent a chill down his back. Something about this person…

[25%...]

“Hello. You are…?”

The man smiled. "You may call me Dr. Issac, young man. Professor will do as well." He made himself comfortable on the recently installed sofa in the office. "You must be James’ nephew, the godson he often spoke of."

Does Uncle James speak of me often? David couldn’t help wondering what type of things he’d said. “That would be me, sir. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Dr. Issac.”

“Ha! A respectful young man. Rare nowadays. Have you ever studied at Wallen College? You look kind of familiar…” Dr. Issac leaned forward, placing his elbows on his legs. His gaze never wandered, and his smile was unnaturally wide for his face.

[73%...]

David’s hands were sweating from the persistent stare. The eyes were sharp as a blade, slicing through his act and into his soul. I’m being paranoid. Curiosity about someone you’ve heard a lot about but never met is normal, isn’t it? Still, David couldn’t shake the warning bells from his mind. Before he could reply, the door to the office reopened.

"I’d appreciate it if you would stop harassing my nephew, Dr. Issac." A voice said dryly from the open doorway.

“Uncle James.” A wave of relief washed over him as the eyes that seemed to be able to see right through him finally moved away. This person is not like his gullible uncle. I shouldn’t let down my guard.

[99%...completed.]

“It was a perfectly acceptable and polite conversation, Commander James.” Dr. Issac threw up his hands in exasperation. “You always think so lowly of me. Am I the type to trouble a child?”

James set down the stack of papers in his hand and gave Issac a pointed look out of the corner of his eyes. Issac coughed lightly and looked away, suddenly finding interest in the new decorations in the room.

“The place looks much livelier compared to my last visit, much less like an empty prison cell. I’m assuming this is all thanks to young David?”

David straightened at the mention of his name. He had been silently watching the exchange, hoping it remained that way. Too bad his luck had never been that good. “Yes, Dr. Issac. It was one of the tasks assigned by Mr. Sam.”

“Oh? You’ve met my student, Sam. He’s an intelligent young fellow, isn’t he? He knew this block of stone here wouldn’t refuse your efforts. Years of persuasion could’t budge him, but you didn’t even need to ask.”

“Come with me, Dr. Issac. I need your help with that project, if you don’t mind?” James had finished gathering what he needed. “David, you are free to leave once you finish verifying the accounts. Treat yourself to a good meal.”

David nodded as he took the coins. Is this an allowance? It felt…nice.

Dr. Issac rose reluctantly from his seat to follow. “It was nice meeting you, young David. We shall have a deeper conversation the next time we meet. You simply must show me your talents for reading files upside down for one.” His laugh became muffled as the door closed, but it echoed in David’s ear.

Oh no, he had been distracted by the return of O7. His cheeks flushed at the amateur mistake. Be more careful, he reminded himself once more.

O7?

[I am here.]

Can you see what is going on around me?

[I do not have permission to access your senses in the physical realm.]

Never mind. I was hoping you could take a look at someone, but it’s fine. I was preoccupied before, but what was the thing that was…‘loafing’?

[The task has been completed. Your reward has been accepted. Please take a look at your earliest convenience.]

David glanced around the room and locked eyes with Sam, who had entered earlier when he was preoccupied with O7. They both instantly diverted their eyes. The timing…awkward.

David checked the desk in front of him, relieved the document wasn't upside down this time. At least he could pretend he was absorbed in his work. Although Sam didn't trigger his warning bells, it was still better to remain cautious. One mistake is a lesson, but multiple is a fool who won’t live long.

His workspace was just a small desk and a set of cabinets in his uncle’s office. It didn’t take long to organize. “Have a pleasant day, Mr. Sam. I will be leaving early with the Commander’s permission.”

Sam nodded in acknowledgement. “Good work.”

-

“Your food, sir.”

David inhaled deeply, the rich aroma of the stew instantly awakening the beast in his stomach. “Thank you.” His mind cleared of thoughts as he delved into the food. Thinking too much is bad for digestion, a rule he followed without fail. Everything else could wait in line.

While his mind stayed disciplined, his eyes roamed in its place. This spot retained the familiar decor he remembered from his last visit, despite changing owners recently. From the outdated gas lamps above his head down to the scuffed wood under his feet, everything remained the same.

“David, friend! It’s been forever. How have you been?”

David coughed, almost choking on his food. Of course, the new owner of the place would be here. Despite expecting him, the sudden intrusion into his mealtime routine still threw him off.

“Slow down, my friend. I wouldn’t want to send a customer to the hospital so soon after taking over the place. My dad will personally send me off.” A young man about David’s age sat down at the table. His soft brown eyes complemented his features well, and he always looked younger than his age.

Taking a large gulp of water, David cleared his throat. “Devin, it’s been a while. Is he still around?”

“My dad? No, he’s retired and spends most of his time with mom at the retirement house he bought a while back before all this economic nonsense. Speaking of, how are you doing? If you ever need a job, your old friend is now a business owner.”

David smiled at the confident expression on Devin’s face. “I thought you hated working here with a passion.”

“I failed out of college,” Devin shrugged, “Eh, whatever. Big Sis had always been the smart and ambitious one. I don’t care as long as I have a roof over my head and food in my stomach…”

David’s stomach tightened, suddenly not feeling so hungry. His hand clenched the metal spoon, the thin edges digging into his palm. He tried to keep his expression as calm as possible as he listened to Devin ramble on about everything he’s missed out on.

“...Oh yeah, dad said you left the city for a while to take care of family matters. Is everything alright?”

David’s face twitched as he forced a small smile. “Yes.”

“That’s all?” Devin squinted his eyes in suspicion. “Why do I feel like you’re not telling me something? You know I’m terrible at reading the room, please don’t do this to me. Just tell me.”

“Since when have you been so paranoid?”

“Since you guys all treat me like I’m stupid. I’m slow, not stupid.”

David laughed. “Alright, you’re very smart. I’m just worried about my new job.”

“Are the people there mistreating you? Just let me know, and I will teach them a lesson.” Devin patted his thin chest with confidence.

“I’ll…pass on that offer. They treat me very well.”

“If you say so. You should visit more often now that you are back. Mom asks about you often. I swear she treats you better than me, her own son. Oh, I know! We should surprise them on her birthday that’s coming up soon.”

David got up from his seat. “I’ll take the leftovers back for later. It’s been sort of hectic lately, so I can’t make any promises, but I will let you know.”

“David.” Devin got up as well. “Did something happen back then?”

David paused in his tracks. There was a suffocating tightness in his chest and a ringing in his ear. Breathe, David. It’s all in the past.

Devin continued, “Nobody will tell me anything, but I’m not stupid. I see the way dad’s face changes every time your name is mentioned.” He stopped right behind David, placing a hand on his shoulder. “You’ll tell me…if something is wrong, right?”

David turned around, letting the hand fall off his shoulder. He smiled.

“Of course.”

O7?

[I am present.]

Please.

[Confirmation received. Completion...100%]

I should get caught up on my emergency chapters instead of posting as soon as they are edited lol. At least a new story idea is coming along nicely:) Thanks for reading!

8