Chapter 34 – Memories
58 8 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Prudence and Malice had been talking outside when the others joined them. They had made plans for the next few days, things that Prudence wanted to do before her death and Malice was eager to help with that. The first thing on that list was a very specific dinner, which the two demons easily procured.

After dinner, Malice and Prudence left again. The list of things was long. Meanwhile, Kate and Lizzy took the attic.

“Amelia didn’t want to move a lot of your stuff up here and just keep your room as it was, Michael actually convinced her otherwise.”

Kate looked around the boxes, neatly stacked in one room of the large attic. “I suppose that makes things easier for us now.”

“Well, yes. But it would have been nice to be in your old room with you again.”

“Yea, that would’ve been great.” Kate opened one of the large cardboard boxes. “Still, many memories in one place is fun in a way. Oh hey, our chess set!”

Your chess set.”

“I’d rather remember it as ours. Unless you want to put it up somewhere, I will take it with me and put it in my living room.”

Lizzy smiled. “It will look good there, no doubt. Do demons play games? Maybe it will get some actual use.”

“Something with so little... well, expressiveness like chess isn’t a thing demons like to play. But we do play a lot of games, card games, board games, sword games. Friendly competition is quite the big thing in Hell.”

“Sword games?”

“Fencing and stuff like that.”

“Ah, right, Amelia had mentioned that.”

“It’s great fun, better than tennis… mainly for the sultry stares and romantic wall shoving.”

Lizzy giggled. “Why am I not surprised. That means your little transformation also healed everything from the accident?”

“That even happened a bit before I changed, but that’s a long story for another day.”

“That’s very good news.”

“So much has changed over the last few years, I’m glad I can share it with you now.”

“I do actually wonder…” Lizzy opened another box to reveal a collection of books. “What was that decision like? I know some guy tried to harass you, Amelia has told me that much, but that wasn’t why you became demon, right? Still a crazy thing to say… and see.” She put the box aside and opened another.

“The horns and tail aren’t thing you see every day?” Kate chuckled. “To actually answer your question, the decision was remarkably easy. I was shown a set of possible futures, a gift from a now good friend, and the only futures I hated were the ones I stayed human. That one wasn’t a bad future, but it just hurt to see. Even in the supposedly worst future, where I turned out to be a rather bloodthirsty revenge-driven monster, I was a demon. I might not have changed so early after being given the option if it wasn’t for the things that happened to me, like Henry or Arakiel’s attempt to kill me.”

“Wait, hold on.” Lizzy interrupted as she set another box of books aside. “Someone tried to kill you?”

“Yes, Arakiel tried to kill me to some sort of twisted revenge on a friend. Bear with me, this is a bit of a long one.”

“I’m listening.”

“There were wars between the demons and the angels a very long time ago. A friend of mine, one of the librarians, was the leader of Hell’s armies during the first two wars, and apparently she beat an angel called Arakiel during them a few times. He wanted to get his revenge on her during the third war, but she didn’t participate in that one. Somehow, he figured out that I was getting involved with the librarians and figured that killing me would hurt my friend so badly that she would seek him out and finally allow him to get his rematch. An idiotic plan, frankly. Anyway, he eventually ambushed me, severely injured another friend, injured me, and got himself killed. The friend he wanted to get revenge on, my closest demonic friend still, made it clear that she would prefer that I wouldn’t leave Hell as a human anymore, and I agreed. She nearly lost me that day and I didn’t want to hurt her by dying. Demons are immortal, fully immortal, we can never die even when our bodies become unusable, we just wake up in a new one. And I know that if I had died, she would have carried that pain with her for the rest of eternity, blaming herself for not protecting me better. So, I let her turn me into a demon.”

“That’s quite the story. I’m glad that angel didn’t kill you. Makes me think actually, you having told me about how you became a demon, knowing that Prudence will die in a few days, I wonder what I would choose.”

“I don’t know if that’s a good line of thought.” Kate grimaced. “There is much there that is tempting to tell you, that I am not allowed to. And I don’t even know if you could be a demon. Not every human can be, it needs a special mind to be ready to exist eternally. I mean, I will be here when humanity has died out and when the sun dies and eventually when this entire universe flickers out. And after that, I will still not have even scratched the true length of eternity. I was told that most humans can’t withstand that and I agree. Just look at sand mandalas, they get their meaning from being a fleeting thing, from being destroyed and not existing anymore. Mandalas hurt me. I can’t deal with that impermanence, with things being gone, I never could.”

“Hm. That makes me even more thoughtful about it. But that’s not why we went up here, is it?”

“No, it isn’t. But I want you to know that if you could be a demon, I wouldn’t hesitate to ask you to join us. Now… let’s see what we have here.” Kate opened another box. “Look, I found the wood castle we played with!”

“A good time. Want to take it with you too?”

“Unless you want it.”

“Depends, where would you put it?”

“A shelf either in my living room or the reading nook. There are important memories in this that I don’t want to just burry in a box somewhere.”

“Important memories like crying in my arms when you broke the little tower and me glueing it back together. I told you to imagine it was a crack in the wall from when the dragon attacked and the knights successfully defended their home.”

Kate rang her ringers along the crack in the castle. “Do we still have that dragon?”

“Of course. Should be with the knights in the small box under the castle.”

“Very good, wouldn’t want to leave that poor guy behind.”

“You can just take everything with you, you know.”

“Yea, but I don’t know if I can or want to keep everything. The stuff that brings back memories is important, but I’m sure there are things here I totally forgot about.”

“I suppose you want to keep all the books?”

“Absolutely! The books are… special. There is a thing about books that I haven’t really understood yet. I don’t know how it works or why, but emotions sort of cling to them. When I open a book that was read before, I can feel what the reader, or many readers, have felt. This also works when it’s my emotions from reading it in the past. Or in the case of these books: our emotions.”

“I would want to keep them safe too if I could do that. What about the plushies?”

“There isn’t a demon who doesn’t love plushies, those are coming with me too. Of course, unless there is one you want to keep.”

“You know what? Yes, I want to keep one. Remember when you were maybe five or six years old and whenever I had a bad day you gave me that bear?”

“Sir Bearington, yes. I’ll even enchant the little guy for you, so he remains as cuddly as he is forever and can never get lost.”

“Ah the perks of knowing a magic being, thank you.”

“We just need to find him.”

“He will be with the other plushies. I think it was the box on top of the one with the posters.”

“Mum kept the posters?”

Lizzy nodded. “Made sure every single one was taken off the walls without a single tear or scratch, all rolled up nicely and stored properly.”

“I might have to frame those. Or at least show them to Polly.”

“Polly?”

“Apollyon. The close demon friend I told you about earlier. I’m sure she would love seeing stuff from my childhood.”

“And I would love seeing her.”

“I’ll introduce you two when you visit my new home. Did you also save the postcard?”

“Every single one of them, including the signed one.”

“In its original frame?”

“Of course. That little notch at the bottom adds character.”

“Perfect! I need to put that on my desk. Maybe get a new postcard and go to one of those book conventions again, get the signatures from the authors I didn’t get back then.”

“You should do that as long as the authors you loved back then still live. Some of them are in their seventies now.”

“Yea… humans are so fleeting. Anyway, let’s find Sir Bearington before we worry about all that.”

2