Chapter 41 – The Funeral
44 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kate, Apollyon and Malice watched silently as the casket was lowered into the ground and the local minister held his last speech. Once everyone in attendance had thrown the traditional handful of earth onto the casket, people began to talk to each other again. Condolences were given to Walter and Euphemia, relatives who only saw each other on occasions like these exchanged basic pleasantries which eventually also found Kate and her demons. Malice had dug herself into a conversation with a man who apparently used to be Prudence’s medical practitioner of choice. Kate and Apollyon tried to not draw too much attention, but were eventually approached by Bernard, Prudence’s late husband Ernest’s brother.

“Kathrine, right?”

“Yes. Bernard, if I remember correctly. We haven’t spoken in decades.”

“We haven’t, no. And I haven’t met your friend yet.” He held out his hand for Apollyon to shake. “Bernard. I am Prudence’s brother-in-law.”

The old demon hesitated but decided to shake his hand. “Pauline. I am Kate’s… girlfriend.”

“Lovely to meet you.” He was taken aback by that. If it was because he disapproved of their relationship, no matter how fake it was, or if he simply didn’t expect them to be so open about it was something Kate didn’t bother to pry for.

“Likewise.”

“I was told you belong to the same rather secretive society that the doctor came from who gave Prudence a few good last days. I’m glad she got at least that much. I visited her in the hospital after her stroke…” He shook his head. “She deserved better in life.”

“I did not speak to her outside of Euphemia’s recent birthday and even then we only engaged in small talk. She seemed to desire a chance to remedy her regrets in life.”

Kate nodded in agreement. “And in many aspects she got that chance. Who knows if she would have even decided to engage with life as best she could if she never had that stroke.” She paused. “But I don’t want to prescribe meaning to such a tragedy. She merely made the best she could of it.”

Bernard nodded as well. “From what I heard, she really did do the best with what she was given. I will have to talk to that doctor of yours, thank her as well. Mal was her name, right?”

Kate looked at Apollyon for confirmation, who promptly answered. “Yes. You should intercept her the moment she is no longer engaged in conversation with the other doctor. She was requested to be at Prudence’s home after the funeral and tea. I recommend you do not squander any potential chances, like with most of us, you are unlikely to ever run into her again after this day.”

“Of course. I just wanted to express my thanks to Kathrine for re-engaging her interest in books. She even sent me one of the novels my brother gifted her, accompanied by a wonderful letter. It is a good way to remember them both and their shared love of stories and fairytales.”

Kate smiled. “She told me that she regretted not getting involved with my love of the same when I was a child. I will receive most of her books, if you want I will make sure some go your way as well.”

Bernard took a moment to think. “There is one I would love to see again and keep on my shelf. I don’t remember the exact name but it is a big book, a collection of fairytales with illustrations. Just make sure you put a note with it that you are just loaning me it. I’m not the youngest and both my children don’t have any interest in books. And it sounds like you would give them a good home. You are a librarian from what I have heard, librarians know to value them more than most.”

“Of course, I will put a note in it.”

“Thank you. I should get going and see if I can catch Mal.”

“Before you go.” Apollyon interrupted. “I want to know one thing. I have never known Prudence’s husband, your brother. I want to know if they were happy together.”

He nodded. “For over fifty years he was head over heels for her. I hope I am half the loving husband he was. Yes, they were happy.”

“Good. I shall keep you no longer. It was good to meet you, Bernard.”

“Likewise, Pauline. I shall see you around, maybe we can have a few more words later.”

“Possibly.”

“Thanks for coming by anyway.” Kate shook his hand.

“Alright, talk to you later. And if we don’t, hope to see you again soon.” With that, he made his way over to Malice who had just finished her talk with the doctor.

 

Walter’s son Dave approached the two disguised demons on their way to the café that Walter had rented for the reception after the funeral.

“Hey Kate. Pauline. I’m glad you both came.”

“Hey. Yea, sorry about missing the church part.”

“It’s fine. Dad told me you wouldn't attend that. He’s been a bit weird about you in general recently.”

“Oh?”

“Yea, I caught him talking to mum about you guys being possessed by demons and that granny sold her soul for those last days she actually got to do stuff. Far as I overheard right now she just got some experimental treatment.” Dave shook his head. “Dad was always a religious nutcase, but this is almost going too far.”

“The accusing us of being possessed thing?”

“Yes…”

Apollyon looked at Dave with a cocky smile. “I don’t know, I certainly seem in possession of myself.”

The human chuckled and shook his head. “Thanks for lightening the mood. I don’t believe in this demon stuff, but I have to admit that you are a bit of a strange person, no offense.”

“None taken. I do not care much for what Walter thinks of us, unless he acts on it. Based on my previous observation, devout Christians tend to act rather… irrationally when faced with their imagined enemy.”

“That is one hell of a diplomatic way to put it.”

“I can at least appreciate their certainty of reward after death. I don’t know if he believed that Prudence would enter Heaven or Hell, but the minister seemed to predict a rather prosperous afterlife.”

“Oh, dad is certain she went to hell, especially with granny being a non-believer and that selling her soul to the demons bit.”

“I am uncertain how he feels about the fate he images for her. I wouldn’t wish what he believes Hell to be on my own mothers.”

“Mothers? Plural?”

“Yes.”

“Can you elaborate?”

“I can, but I will not.”

“Okay, sorry.”

“Do not apologize. Talking about them would open a sizable can of worms, as the locals here say.”

“I see… Well, what do you think? Heaven or hell for Prudence? If you even think any of that exists.”

“Our image of the afterlife deviates significantly from the christian model. I believe she will have a pleasant existence.”

“I hope so too.”

“You liked her, didn’t you? More than you liked your father.”

“Absolutely! She wasn’t the perfect grandmother by any means, but whenever she let that stern façade drop, especially when she got involved in playing with us when we were younger, she was amazing. I have such fond memories of making up stories with our toys with her. But then she would also scold us for not sitting properly at the table and not eating every last bit of broccoli. I miss her. Even her overcooked vegetables…”

“My condolences. I have interacted only briefly with her, but she seemed regretful about many things.”

“She was, wasn’t she? At least in the end. I’m glad whatever your doctor did gave her a little time to remedy some of those regrets. I can only hope for the same chance in the end.”

“Wouldn’t it be better to avoid such regrets in the first place?”

“Hm… I suppose so.”

Kate smiled at Dave. “I am sure if Prudence was still here, she would scold you for not learning that lesson from her. I got lucky that I got the chance to learn this lesson early. Don’t let the regrets pile up and if you think you might regret something later, act accordingly now. That’s what we all should take away from Prudence’s last days.”

“You say that like it’s easy.”

“It really isn’t. But what’s the alternative? Hoping you get a miracle in the end as well? No, we live here and now and it’s up to us to make something of that life.”

“I can’t disagree with that.”

“And it would make Prudence proud.”

“Yes, it would.” He nodded solemnly.

1