Luck in the chapel 2
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The boy hesitated in terror, but just then the villagers approached Ylre and tried to grab him again. However, Ylre didn't let himself go and simply shook them off. He kicked the innkeeper hard in the stomach, sending him to the ground...he punched several other guys in the neck, and when he gained some energy, he punched another in the face. He heard the sledge crack. The guys fell to the ground, Ylre shook his wrist as he had the guy's blood on his skin and glared at the man in white.

"Does your highest know what you're up to?" Ylre asked, kicking away the boy who had tried to get to Rue in the meantime. He stood in front of the sleeping Infey and gave the boy a hostile glare.

The man was silent for a moment as if recovering from the unexpected realization, before he smiled softly, "Everybody out!" he raised his voice, causing the villagers to run out of the chapel in a second, before he spoke again, "Are you one of us?" he asked.

"Definitely not," Ylre said.

"The lowest aren't allowed to leave Infey. The highest...I know all of them...you must be middle class," the guy deduced, "you're with us."

"You bring me down to your level one more time and I'll kill you even before you tell me who sent you," Ylre said.

"Sent?" the guy didn't understand.

"Yes, who sent you for us? Who else knows we're here?" Ylre asked.

The man blinked confused, "I think you don't understand something, I have no idea who you are. I ordered the Lacrisans to be brought in," he clarified.

Ylre hesitated, "Too much of a coincidence, don't you think?"

"I mean," the guy said amusedly, "unpleasant coincidences happen to unlucky people...who ever saw them happening to an Infey?" he laughed, "I've never seen an Infey with more bad luck than luck. Your highest doesn't give you enough of it?" he deduced.

Ylre smiled softly, though his expression was more frightening than amused. He glanced at Rue, about whom the claim of unlucky coincidences was right, and shifted his gaze to the man again, "Do you know who he is?" He nodded behind himself.

Infey looked at the black-haired youth and shook his head, "I don't know all the second-rates in my category…I only know the highest ones," he said.

Ylre smirked, "Ignorant brat."

"What did you call me...I'm a hundred years old, over hundred!" he shouted.

Ylre chuckled, "You're at least another century away from knowing all the highest...ignorant brat," he repeated, but before the man could explode, he asked, "Why are you kidnapping people?"

,,Why not, you bastard? It is the best way to get luck...the more luck, the more satisfied the highest. You know they are impatient. When you improve yourself, they don't care how you did it," he said.

"Luck?" Ylre raised his eyebrows and laughed, "An Infey stealing people's luck." he didn't believe.

It wasn't impossible, but it was definitely not common. Ylre couldn't imagine the lows he would have to stoop to in order to steal the luck of ordinary people. The Infey were born as servants of luck, the highest being the source itself. Their guardians received a portion of it from them, linking their luck together. Although it was up to the supreme how much luck he would give to the servant, just having a connection to the source itself elevated all Infey above ordinary humans.

Moreover, their state of luck depended on the will of the owner, the highest. Therefore, ordinary people couldn't take it from them without permission.

However, it still happened that Infey helped himself and stole people's luck...with his sword.

The sword that the guard had was mainly used to protect the highest. It was a tool that was able to move luck around. The more luck Infey took with it, the stronger he became...which was quite a priority since no one wanted a weak guardian. But if the highest really wanted to, he could easily give more luck to his guardian, since most supremes wouldn't allow their guards to harm people.

Ylre hadn't killed many people in his life, but given his level of luck, he didn't need to either. However, some were apparently more greedy than they should be. And some of the highest probably didn't care.

Anyway, Ylre didn't expect to ever meet someone like that.

"And?" the man didn't understand what Ylre found strange about his ways.

"So today's generation doesn't know that how much luck you have depends purely on your highest? Even if you rob all the people in the world, if your highest wants, he will take everything from you. If he wanted you to get more of it, he would give you luck." Ylre laughed.

"My highest gave me his luck," he frowned.

"You should be satisfied with it, not steal more from ordinary people," Ylre explained, "who is your highest anyway, why aren't you with him?" Ylre asked.

"Not you business," the guy said.

"So no one important," Ylre stated.

A remark that would have pissed off any Infey made the man yell, "Crey! My highest is Crey! Call it off now, you bitch!"

"Crey," Ylre laughed, "I remember, he never has time for his guards." he knew.

,,Shut up! That's not true!" he got angry.

"It's, when I started, he had another by his side, but not even two centuries have passed, where did he go? Has he stopped enjoying him? If I were you, I'll make sure you don't end up like that." Ylre smiled.

The man gave him a murderous look, and when Ylre laughed again, he angrily pulled out a golden sword from behind his back, "Shut up! Where is your highest? I don't see him here either!" he shouted.

Ylre smiled softly and slowly reached behind his back where he felt his own sword. He pulled it out in a second and took a step forward. It was considerably larger than his opponent's sword, and at first glance it was clear who had the upper hand.

 "You ignorant brat wouldn't know...even if I told you his name," he remarked.

Infey was annoyed by the sentence, so without hesitation he charged at Ylre with his sword. Ylre dodged and simply blocked the ensuing lunge. Although this Infey before him was indeed young, his stupidity was beyond that of the greatest morons Ylre had encountered in the past three centuries.

All Infey knew that hierarchy came first. Ylre was sure any other guard would recognize him immediately. The fact that this Infey had no idea who he was, that he didn't recognize Rue, and that he was walking around the world as a member of the church and killing people for his own luck was all so comical that Ylre didn't even feel sorry that he will make one of the highest stay without his guard.

That's why when the man ran at him, when he chased after him, Ylre took a step back and in the subsequent movement thrust his sword into the young man's chest. He didn't give him a chance to recover and with a stroke of the sword he rolled him against the wall, against which he slammed him with the blade.

The man gasped in surprise, blood spattering Ylre's cheeks. As he moved his sword deeper and pierced him completely, Infey parted his lips in confusion, as if he didn't realize when he got to this position.

"When you meet Luck," Ylre said, "tell it that Rue still believes, still waits...when you say that, it might take pity on you." he declared, drawing his sword sharply and stabbing lower.

"Aagh!" Infey spat out more blood, "Aghh...Rue?" he looked confused at the ground beside him where the sleeping Infey lay, "Sinner...Rue..." he rasped before Ylre stabbed him again, letting the blade soak up Infey's luck.

"If you recognized him, you wouldn't have ended up like this today, thank your ignorance," Ylre said and after looking at Infey's expression for a moment, he pulled the blade out of him.

The man fell limp to the ground. Ylre stared at him for a moment before his body turned to yellow dust. Each Infey was merely a creature of luck to keep the world going. Some more important than others, but without luck, basically nothing.

Ylre sighed deeply and walked over to Rue on the ground. He slowly leaned down and lightly caressed his face as if he wasn't sure what would happen to him if he wasn't with him today. Without luck, without the usual abilities that he should have as the highest. Ylre was really thankful that the one they met today wasn't the actual guardian of luck that had first scared him.

However, whether it was his own luck or something else, he was going to make sure that from now on he wouldn't let his guard down even for a second...because Rue with his luck were always in danger...just like today.

0