Frogs and Crowns
36 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

  The sound of a twig snapping and underbrush being disturbed followed by loud voices and clomping horse hooves filled the woods as a band of knights followed behind their leader. They had no clue where they were going but where Jax went, they followed. It was assumed that Jax was on another “quest” or “scouting trip” which basically meant she was tired of her parents trying to force her to marry some bland milquetoast or overly pompous peacock who called himself a prince. 

“Why on earth,“ she thought to herself, “would I marry some idiot who can’t ride or fight as well as I can and who will want me in dresses” She thought of the last time she wore a dress. It was for her younger sister’s wedding and because her parents demanded that she “look like a presentable princess for the rest of the noble houses” even though none of them expected it. 

Jax dutifully wore the dress and answered to the name Jacqueline but it was painfully evident to anyone with eyes that while the dress was custom-made and expertly crafted it wasn’t a good fit. Princess Margitte was lovely in her bridal gown. Other women were radiant in their gowns. Jax couldn’t wait to turn hers into a formal tunic for a future gathering and envied her closest friends for their comfort and ease. Jax played the part of Princess Jacqueline but was more than ready to end the charade by the end of the night. 

The following weeks made her regret ever agreeing to wear the dress. It started with the dress, and then it was hair and makeup and jewelry. The only thing Jax got to keep was her boots. There was no point in wearing dainty heels she couldn’t walk in. She kicked herself for not seeing the ulterior motive. Her parents were presenting her as a marriage object that night as well. Jax felt sick to her stomach at the thought of being one of their pawns. After word got out about the eligible princess a string of suitors came to make introductions. Jax hated every second of it. She thought of running away or going on a sailing expedition to keep her away for a few years. She thought of joining a temple sisterhood, that would take away the pressure to marry but would come with divine responsibilities and who wants that? 

The steadily moving band of bodies and noise came to a whinnying halt. Jax held up her hand to still and quiet the men and the horses. A small woman with elfin pointed features appeared in the path. The Dowager Queen of Hagfell, mother to the most mediocre son of them all. Prince Boland was not unkind or unattractive but he was boring. He was one of the suitors her parents hoped would take interest in her in farce of a dress. Jax politely greeted the neighboring queen. 

“Spare it,” spat the queen. “You ungrateful cow. Your whole family fancies yourselves too good for any other family. I’m surprised you haven’t married one of your cousins or brothers.” Jax was stunned into silence. Her family may have been haughty but she wasn’t aware of any intrafamilial marriages. She did have one distant cousin who she could have been tempted to marry, but he was always sickly and she was sure he would look better in any dress than she ever would, but on his good days, he was a great riding companion. 

“Then what’s your business or please step aside,” Jax finally spoke. 

“You conceited spoiled shrew!” shrieked Queen Willis. “This should teach you a lesson” 

Jax saw a pouf of grey and heard her men gasp as the tiny queen disappeared. 

Jax had been turned into a frog and none of the men with her knew how to break the spell. Jax tried to talk to them but only croaks and ribbits came out. Eventually, she gave up and hopped away. In time she learned to like being a frog. There were no dresses, no one to marry, her parents thought she was off somewhere in a huff, and her most loyal man, Gaybe, stayed near to protect any body of water she happened to inhabit. 

 

🐸

Nandy suppressed a grimace and donned a fake smile as her mother’s sister, Aunt Mildred, smoothed her hair, pinned the tails of her two long braids into a bun, and affixed glittering hair pins throughout her hair. 

“There,” cooed Aunt Mildred with a smile. She had transformed Nandy from her sister’s roughspun daughter into a girl who had the makings to be a lady. Ever since Aunt Mildred married a wealthy but low ranking noble it was decided that Nandy would live with her and be trained in the ways of nobility. 

Nandy looked in the mirror and smiled genuinely. Yes she missed her home and her mother but here she was given nicer clothes to wear, her hair had never been more beautiful, and other than the guilt at not completely embodying the ideals Aunt Mildred had for her, Nandy was happy if a little lonely without her younger sisters. Most days she was too busy with lessons and beauty treatments and the occasional outing to be too sad about missing them.

However, there were days when Nandy longed to be back with her family. Nandy felt particularly homesick one day while Aunt Mildred was away. With no one around to fuss at her for having too many sweets, Nandy nibbled at a tart and considered her options. She considered running away. She’d pen a letter expressing her deepest gratitude to her Uncle and Aunt and explain that she was too deeply rooted in the soil of her hometown and unfit for life so far removed from her first memories. She would apologize to her mother for failing to do what she could to lift the means of the family. Ideally, she’d return home and slip back into her life at the dairy but she could never face her mother after being such a disappointment. Then she’d go to a temple and join a religious order and work to atone for being so selfish and ungrateful and for disappointing her entire family. 

At least that’s what she told herself she’d do and what would happen as a result. She let out a deep sigh lying on the grass by the big pond used to keep her uncle’s golden fish. There were seven in the pond in different shades of gold to orange that now ignored her presence or swam to her happily for treats. She was idly watching the fish and handing them bits of carrot when a frog hopped along the warm stone walkway. Nandy laughed. 

“I suppose you want some too,” she teased and placed a bit on the stones and laughed. “Next time, I will have worms.” The frog held still. Nandy sighed. “I’m so bored I’m talking to frogs,” she said in the learned accent of nobility before slipping to her familial accent. “Promise you won’t tell if I talk like me or if I mess up when I practice talking like Aunt Mildred.” Nandy could have sworn the frog nodded. With a smile she continued to talk to the frog about her Aunt and her mother and how Aunt Mildred had taken a trip to shop for dresses for the upcoming ball season.

Hours had passed before she knew it. Her stomach grumbled and Nandy was sure it had startled the frog. She apologized for the noise and for monopolizing the conversation and gave the frog a kiss on the head.  During Aunt Mildred’s absence, Nandy took every chance to wear her old clothes, dig up a worm or catch a fly, and sneak to talk to her “pet” frog. 

One day she held the frog in her palms as she practiced her dance steps. 

“The shame of it is that you are a much better dancer than any of those stuffy boys. Too bad I can’t just take you to the ball,” she giggled. “I’d get you a little suit made and a tiny crown and plush purple cushion with one of the lilypads on it. You could sit on my shoulder and we could dance all night and you wouldn’t step on my shoes or the train of my dress. I’ve always wanted a pet frog. My siblings always squished them. But they aren’t here now,” she lit up. It was a fun thought but she knew she could never give the frog the life it has outside. “But you’d miss the sun and fish and fresh air. I could never keep you trapped inside,” she said as her eyes gazed at the horizon in the direction of her mother. Nandy gave the frog another kiss before letting it hop out of her hands with a small splash into the pond.

On the night of the ball Nandy snuck out of the manor to the pond. Her time practicing her speech and dancing had pleased Aunt Mildred. Now in her pale blue dress and pearl crown she looked purely angelic. 

“I wanted to come show you how I looked before I went in! Wish me luck!” She bent to kiss her favorite frog, and yes she could tell them apart, when her crown slipped into the water. A swear word only used by the roughest back home came from her lips. Nandy was on the verge of tears when the frog jumped into the water and resurfaced with the pearl crown. Nandy gasped. She slowly put the ornament back in place and began to cry and kiss the frog. 

“Thank you so much! Thank you sweet frog. I owe you my life,” she kissed the frog once more and lifted her skirts to rush back to the house for final inspections before being allowed to enter the ball. 

🐸

Jax crouched behind a bush. If the situation hadn’t been so ridiculous she would have been more embarrassed. Gaybe, who had never left her side appeared with clothes for her. Jax quickly dressed herself. 

“Think she’ll like me as a human?” Jax said to Gaybe. 

“Do you think she has the same er…predilection as you?”  Jax shrugged before sitting on the stone wall of the pond where she sat so many afternoons listening to Nandy talk about her day, practice conversation, and give her opinion on things. 

 

Jax waited and waited and as hoped at the end of the night a shimmering pale blue dress moved closer and closer. Nandy stopped short of the pond. She was startled but didn’t seem scared. 

“Oh hello, how are you enjoying the ball?” she asked, her voice was in the trained high pitched register of noble women. Jax didn’t like the sound of it but was impressed at how well Nandy could maintain it. 

“I never made it inside. I’ve been out here the whole time. Have you had fun?” Jax spoke and was obviously nobility without the added formality. Nandy relaxed. 

“Lucky, the pond is the best part of this place. Do you like frogs?” Jax smiled and nodded. “Great, I have a pet frog, well, it’s a wild one but it seems to like me. I need to thank it again.” 

“For what?”

“I dropped my crown tonight and it got it for me. I’d have had to go in the pond and then explain to Aunt Mildred why I was all wet or have one of the servants do it but they are busy and chide me more than Aunt Mildred.” Nandy stopped. “It also helped me practice my dancing.”

“Really?” Nandy nodded. 

 

Jax stepped in front of Nandy taking the position of the lead in a dance. Nandy easily slipped into position and they danced. Nandy giggled. 

“It’s a shame you didn’t make it in. You’re a rather good dancer. Almost as good as my frog.” 

“Oh, have I stepped on your feet or dress, My Lady?”  

“No.” Jax held her a little closer before leading her around in a dizzying dance before spinning and dipping her. 

“Could your frog friend do that?” 

“Now that I think of it, maybe. I never thought a frog could retrieve items before tonight so maybe.” 

“I would love to show you my water garden,” Jax whispered. “It’s lovely and you can speak in your real voice and eat tarts and I wouldn’t tell anyone. If you like it, I can get golden fish for you like these.” 

 

Nandy gasped. Her face contorted with fear. Jax wasn't sure what she was thinking but she panicked trying to think of how to calm her. 

“I’m the frog,” she said quickly. “A witch queen turned me into a frog because I didn’t want to marry her dolt of a son. You talked to me about your home, with your parents and your dairy and about your aunt who’s making you into a lady. You bring me worms and I ate the flies that kept trying to land on your tarts. You went to kiss me today and your crown fell into the pond. I’d have gone with you but I don’t think I’d fit on your shoulder now, but a purple cushion with a lilypad on it does sound nice. Could you make it for me?” 

“You are playing a cruel trick on me.”

“No, Nandy, I’m not. I promise. I know it doesn’t sound believable. How can I prove it to you?” 

 

The proving was a long series of questions as Nandy asked for things only her frog friend would know and Jax provided the answers and her own thoughts on the matters since she was able to now. After a while Nandy nodded. 

“Tell me about your water garden,” she begged holding onto Jax’s arm. 

 

Jax told Nandy about the water garden, the library, the jousting yard, the dairy, and the dances. She introduced Nandy to Gaybe and her guardsmen. She presented Nandy to her parents. Nandy became Jax’s wife and princess. She married Jax in the middle of the water garden, holding a bouquet of lilypads blossoms.

2