There and Back Again
32 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The party stands in front of the large mirror.

The party stands in front of the large mirror

"Now, then..." Lizard Priest observes the mirror. "What's rather curious... is this."

Priestess steps up to the object. "Could this be an object of worship?"

"I don't think we should touch it so carelessly..."

"I agree, but we must investigate it."

Owl just blankly looks towards the mirror. "What is it."

"it's like a large mirror." Elf mutters to him.

"Oh..."

Priestess touches the mirror and the surface starts to ripple. Goblin Slayer moves in front of Priestess.

"Get ready." Slayer orders.

Suddenly the mirror glows and shows a desert like location, with a goblin camp. Human bones are seen right one the other side of the mirror.

"Goblins?" Slayer questions.

Owl takes out his short sword as his feather flaps shoot up.

Some goblins seem to be brewing something using makeshift tools.

"What could this be?" Priestess questions.

"I believe this is the goblins' home." Lizard Priest suggests.

Elf points to a part of the mirror, where a boat is. "Look over there! That's the boat we saw the other day." The mirror goes dark. "Maybe that's how the goblins are getting here."

Dwarf puts a hand on his chin. "So this must be an ancient artifact capable of producing a Gate. A magical mirror that can invoke lost spells... I can't even imagine how valuable this is."

"So someone's been summoning the goblins with this..."

"..then giving them weapons and having them live down here."

Lizard Priest looks over to the dead Beholder. "And having that creature protect the mirror."

"What shall we do, Goblin Slayer? Owl?" Priestess asks.

Slayer grabs a nearby cloth and looks at the symbol on it.

Slayer grabs a nearby cloth and looks at the symbol on it

"So it was goblins." Slayer states.

A growl echoes through the sewers. Owl hums as his head turns towards the entrance.

"I'm sure that explosion shook the entire place." Lizard Priest says.

Owl's feather flaps move up and down separately, a few times. The sounds of many running footsteps reach his ears.

"If this is where the goblins are entering and exiting, we can't overlook it." Lizard Priest says.

"So they're going to come reclaim it." Dwarf points out.

"Oh, come on!" Elf complains, and she falls to the ground. "Give us a break already!"

"Goblin Slayer..." Priestess mutters.

Slayer looks up to the ceiling and spots a large chandelier. Then he glances at the mirror beside him.

"We don't have much time." Owl informs as he turns his body to everyone. "We must come up with a plan now."

"Don't worry." Slayer looks at Priestess. "There's no problem."

Priestess smiles.

There and Back Again

The party starts setting up defenses, made from the damaged wood from around the room. Barricades to hide behind and other things.

A roar of the Goblin Champion echoes through the area.

 Elf grabs an arrow from her quiver, but notices her hand is shaking.

"You got this?" Owl's voice is heard beside her.

Elf looks over to see Owl turned to her, his left feather flap up as his head slightly tilts. She turns to him with a smile. "Of course I can. Worry about yourself. Don't get spears pierced into you like you did last time."

Owl nods as he grabs a wooden spear off the ground next to him, where several other wooden spears are. "Of course, I don't plan on it."

"Goblin Slayer, the preparations are complete." Lizard Priest informs him.

"Though it's sort of improvised..." Dwarf wipes dust off his hands.

"That's plenty." Goblin Slayer states. "How are things over there?

Priestess holds a plate full of charcoal. "Yes, I'm ready."

"Good. How many spells do we have left?"

"Um... I have one left."

"Save it. There'll be a proper time to use it."

Priestess nods. "Got it."

Owl speaks up. "I have four miracles and still three spells left."

"Good, try to save at least one for an emergency."

"As per usual."

"I have two left." Lizard Priest informs. "If I don't summon the dragontooth warrior again, it'll be a total of three, but I doubt you'd like for me to save that."

"Correct." Slayer responds. "Give it a shield and have it protect the girl."

"Understood. Would you like me to attend to the mirror?"

"Yes."

Lizard Priest throws several fangs on the ground and summons a dragontooth warrior. 

Elf climbs up on a table and sits on it. Owl stands next to her as he sharpens a large piece of wood into a spear.

"I probably have about two more lest myself." Dwarf informs.

"Save them." Slayer orders. "They'll be our trump card."

Dwarf chuckles and pats his stomach. "Then I guess I'll assist you until it's time to use them."

"We're pretty lucky..." Elf states. "We somehow have four spell casters."

"Huh, I guess even long-ears has it in her not to be bratty when it comes down to it."

"How rude! I'm never bratty! Tell him, Vorbatmai."

Owl stops what he's doing for a few seconds. "No comment."

Dwarf gives a hearty laugh.

Elf turns to Goblin Slayer. "So, what do you want me to do?"

The footsteps of the goblin army approaches ever closer.

"Draw them in and then take them down." Slayer orders. "Lure in as many as you can."

"I feel like you're asking a bit much, but... Fine." Elf stands up on the table. "I'll do it."

Owl tosses his spear into the small stack of other spears. Then he brings his hands together. "O Supreme Lord, grant me thy strength you once bestowed upon me, to deal with these heavy foes. Saint's Reckoning!"

A golden flame travels around Owl, before floating above him and forming into a burning Halo. His white bandages suddenly glows golden.

"Wow..." Priestess says in awe.

"That's new." Elf says.

Owl nods as he looks at Elf. "It was granted upon me by the Supreme Lord recently. It's a very powerful spell."

"What does it do?"

"It's like my Boost miracle, but much more powerful. Greatly increases my magical power, and it feels like I can see with it. But I do feel kinda tired after using it."

"How long does it last?" Dwarf asks.

"As long as I have the energy for it." Owl's feather flaps shoot up. "They're here."

"Places everyone." Slayer orders.

Everyone runs behind the barricades. 

Dwarf tosses a rock up and down in his spot. "At least you won't have to aim too carefully now."

Owl holds his hand out to the small stack of Spears. "Telekinesis."

The five spears glow gold and they float up and fly right above Owl.

Elf pulls back her bow string, and lets an arrow fly down the hall. Right into the eye of a goblin.

"One." Slayer announces.

Owl throws his hand forward and all the spears fly down the halls and each one takes out a goblin.

"Six." Slayer says.

"Bread-cutter!" Dwarf shouts. "Shoot all you want! Beast to take out as many as possible!"

Slayer readies a sling. "That's the plan." He shoots a rock forward with the sling, killing a goblin. "That's seven."

Elf shoot another goblin.

"Eight."

Slayer throws another rock forward. Dwarf throws rocks up to Slayer. Owl grabs a rock off the floor and pulls his arm back, and throws it forward.

Owl's rock slams right into the face of a goblin, nearly blowing it up.

"Thirteen."

The party continues to throws rocks at the approaching army, while Elf shoots arrows. Owl tosses a couple golden spears forward, piercing several goblins with a single one.

"Their numbers are making this tough!" Elf states.

Though with how many they've killed, a lot of goblins approach them.

"Looks like we let too many through." Dwarf shouts.

"Coming from the right!" Priestess shouts.

"Leave it to me!" Elf fires an arrow.

Three from the left! Four from the right!"

"Yeah, yeah." Elf fires several arrows at once, she then moves to another position and fires more arrows.

An arrow lands next to Owl's head, and he looks at it. "Huh..."

Several goblin archers fire arrows from the back of the army. 

Elf gasps as an arrow approaches her and she brings up her arms. But Owl appears in front of her and cuts down the arrow with his short sword.

Priestess yelps as an arrow flies towards her, but the dragontooth warrior blocks it with his body.

Elf sighs in relief and runs Owl's head. "Thank you, Vorbatmai... You're head is very soft." She blushes a little as she continues to pat Owl's head.

"I don't think this is the time for that." Owl states, his halo glows brightly.

"S-Sorry!" Elf takes a couples steps back.

Over at the mirror, Lizard Priest observes it. "How in the world is this mirror attached?" He takes a deep breath. "O proud and strange brontosaurus, grant me the strength of ten thousand!"

Lizard Priests muscles grow big and he yells as he brings his weapon down onto the side of the mirror. His weapon digs into the wall and slightly dislodges the mirror.

The thundering footsteps of the gravely injured Goblin Champion approach the party.

The Goblin Champion roars.

"There's a huge one coming!" Priestess shouts.

"I'll take care of it." Slayer states. "Don't move away from the altar." He hands Dwarf his sling.

Owl holds a hand out to Slayer. "O Supreme Lord, give us the strengthen to fight off the evil in this world, with your righteous justice! BOOST!"

Slayer glows golden as he charges out from the defenses. Killing several goblins in his way. "Twenty-five! Twenty-six! Twenty-seven."

Elf reaches for her quiver, only to feel one arrow left. She grabs it and readies it to fire. She lets the arrow lose and it flies into a goblin archer's head, that was about to fire at Slayer.

"Yes!" Elf cheers. "Orchblog, I need some arrows!"

Slayer kneels down to the archer and cuts off its quiver. A goblin charges at Slayer, only for its head to be blown off by a rock.

"Pass them on!" Slayer tosses them to Dwarf.

Dwarf catches the quiver. "You got it!" He tosses them to Elf. "Here you go!"

Elf catches the quiver. "Yes."

"Look out!" Priestess yells.

A goblin runs to Dwarf, but he slams the rock filled sling, into the goblins face. A couple more charge at him, but several knives slam into their faces killing them.

Owl grabs another rock off the ground and throws it forward. "There no end to them..." He mutters.

"Ugh... You done yet, Scaly?" Dwarf shouts.

Lizard Priest continues to try and dislodge the mirror from the wall. "Just a little more..."

"I'll help you." Priestess runs over.

"I thank you."

Priestess slams then end of her staff under the mirror, and tries to wedge it off the wall with Lizard Priest.

"Slayer, just a little more time!" Owl throws another rock forward.

The Goblin Champion reaches Slayer and tries to bring his club down onto him, but Slayer rolls out of the way. The club smashes into several goblins.

"He's purposely luring it into the goblin mob." Dwarf observes.

"Jeez, you're unbelievable." Elf complains.

Owl reaches down for a rock, only to find none. He hums in displeasure and hops out from his barricade and jumps towards a few goblins. He grabs a couple knives off his chest and throws them forward.

"You better be careful, Vorbatmai!" Elf shouts.

"I usually am." Owl cuts down a couple goblins.

"Hey, long-ears, can't you shoot a few more of them?" Dwarf asks, and he slams his sling into the faces of a couple goblins.

A goblin jumps past dwarf and lunges at Elf, but she shoots it down. "Shut it!" She yells. "Get me some better arrows, then!"

Several arrows fly towards Owl, but he holds his hand out to them. "Telekinesis!" The arrows glow golden and they stop mid air, he the throws them back to their owners; hitting them in the face.

"Why don't you just throw some rocks?" Dwarf asks Elf.

"No way!" Elf shouts.

Lizard Priest and Priestess nearly have the mirror dislodged. "Just one more push!" He informs.

Lizard Priest yells and gives one more heavy push. The mirror falls to the ground and starts to tip over, but Lizard Priest and his dragontooth warrior stop it from tipping.

"Goblin Slayer!" Priestess shouts.

"Face the mirror upwards and get under it!" Slayer orders.

"Understood!" Lizard Priest acknowledges. 

The Goblin Champion stomps over to Slayer and brings its club down onto him. But he jumps back and out of the way.

Lizard priest and the dragontooth warrior get the mirror flips over.

"He's coming!" Lizard Priest shouts.

Slayer runs towards the party, with the Champion on his tail. "Shoot a big one! Upward!"

"Upward?" Dwarf questions. "You got it! Time to work, you gnomes!" Slayer stops, causing the Champion to stop. "Roll bits of sand together, and it shall become rock!"

Slayer throws the axe he's holding into the hand of the champion that's holding the club. The champions fingers are slices off, dropping the club.

"Orcblog, over here!" Elf shouts as Owl runs up next to her. She holds her hand out.

"Thanks!" Slayer grabs Elf's hand and she pulls him past the barricades. 

Slayer and Owl move under the mirror. 

"Goblin Slayer! Owl!" Priestess says.

"We need light!" Slayer orders.

"Right!" Priestess holds up her staff and starts to chant. "O merciful Earth Mother, please bless us, the wanderers in the darkness, with holy light!"

A bright lights shines out, blinding all the goblins. Everyone gathers under the mirror.

"Stone Blast!" Dwarf fires his rocks upwards. The ceiling starts to crumble down. "Spin the buckets, gnomes! Make them spin and spin and let them go! Falling Control!"

The ceiling and the large chandelier fall down, onto all the golbins and the champion.

"And that makes sixty-eight." Slayer announces.

.

.

Moonlight shines down onto the rubble of what used to be the area where the party was. Everyone crawls out from under the mirror.

Owl lets out a yawn as his halo stops fizzes out and disappears. 

"Jeez... What were you thinking, Orcblog?!" Elf nearly shouts.

"That startled me..." Priestess states.

"Startled you?! That's it!"

Priestess gives a nervous smile. "I mean... I think I'm just getting used to all this."

Elf sighs. "Jeez..."

Lizard Priest and the Dragontooth warrior set the mirror on the ground. "Good heavens... Thank goodness we had the Gate mirror right above us. We were fortunate that it absorbed most of the rubble, but it proved rather heavy." He pats his back.

"Well, you definitely did most of the work back there, Scaly." Dwarf states and he sits down. "But I almost feel bad for the ones on the other side. Maybe this is how people got around way back when, eh, Bread-cutter? Spirit-walker?"

"I'm not interested." Slayer states.

"Eh, I don't really care about history." Owl states.

"We're very lucky we weren't underneath the city." Priestess says.

"If we were under the city, I would've thought of another plan." Slayer states, and he walks over to Elf. "Hey."

"What is it?" Elf asks in an annoyed tone.

"No fire, no water, no poison, and no explosions."

Elf smiles. "Orcblog..."

"What?" 

Elf kicks Slayer down the small rubble hill their on. Priestess shouts in shock. Slayer lands with a thud.

Owl walks over to the edge of the hill and turns his head down to Slayer. "Oh, dear..."

"Goblin Slayer?" Priestess calls out.

"Vorbatmai~" Elf slides over to him.

"If you try to kick me down there, I will throw you into a lake." Owl says.

Elf smirks.

.

.

.

Sword Maiden stands in the courtyard of the temple, she lightly gasps as footsteps approach her. She glances to her side where Owl stands. 

"I'm glad you're safe." Sword Maiden smiles.

"I want to ask something of you." Owl says.

"Yes, what is it? I will be happy to give you an answer if I can."

"You know everything, don't you?" 

Sword Maiden goes silent for a moment. "Yes. You're exactly right."

"Hmmm..." Owl just hums.

"How did you figure it out?"

"I really didn't. I was going to ask everyone who was in a position to know."

"Everyone? Oh... I see. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so forthcoming, then. But I can't say I'm disappointed that you asked me first. May I ask why you suspected me?"

"There are a few reasons. That white alligator... That couldn't be a random encounter."

"So you're suggesting that it was planned?" The Sword Maiden asks.

"Yes, at least to the extent that it tried to chase us away, and it also attacked the goblins."

The Sword Maiden walks up to Owl. "That seems a bit paranoid."

"Despite how elaborate these ruins are, you have no precise maps, nor any rat-killing quests, and adventurers avoid the place entirely." Owl calmly states as he stares at Sword Maiden. "That'd be impossible without any patrols."

"You seem rather knowledgeable about adventurers."

"I'm not an adventurer though. That would mean something was guarding the place. That alligator is a familiar." Owl tilts his head. "Is it a guardian beast protecting the sewers?"

"Ironic, don't you think? To think that the messenger of the Supreme God should protect the city and the city alone."

"You should've known. Killing women, ripping out entrails on the spot, then leaving the corpse there... Those aren't things goblins do."

"Indeed." Sword Maiden starts. "They bring their prey back to their nest to toy with them. They won't kill them quickly. They were plotting something using that mirror. They are minions of the Demon Lord. The master mind... no longer exists in this world. They were disposed of in a completely different place... by the Hero. But..." 

The Sword Maiden grows worried. "But if the goblins were to attack, I would just break down in tears. I had heard about them moving under the city. I also knew that the sect was plotting their revenge against me. I would have been able to endure that." She shakes her head. "But... Who could I have asked? The hero known as the Sword Maiden, asking for protection from mere goblins? No one would believe me..." 

The Sword Maiden's hands start to shake. "What do you plan to do with me?"

"Nothing." Owl states.

The Sword Maiden gasps.

"The Lord hasn't said anything about you. Nor are you a goblin." Owl slightly turns away and tilts his head up to the stars.

"Is that why you're not going to ask why?"

Owl turns his head towards the Sword Maiden. "If you want to tell me, I'll listen."

"I wanted someone to understand."

A soft breeze blows as Owl turns to the Sword Maiden.

The Sword Maiden then whispers. "How scared, how hard... how painful and terrifying... Something so horrible could happen in this world. There are creatures in this world that could commit such atrocities. I just wanted people to understand that... But in the end, no one did. You may have that Gate mirror, if you'd like." She puts a hand on Owl's chest. "You must understand... Of all people, you must understand..."

"We got rid of it." Owl informs. 

"What? That was an ancient relic, a priceless treasure worth thousands..."

"There's no guarantee that the other goblins won't learn how to use it. We encased the mirror in concrete and sank it in the canal. It'll make a good bed for the alligator."

The Sword Maiden smiles. "You never cease to amaze me... I daresay you might be unstoppable."

"Maybe." A smile forms on Owl's face.

"May I ask you something, as well?"

"I'll do my best to give you an answer."

"Has something change since you started slaying the goblins?"

Owl tilts his head in confusion. "Something?"

The Sword Maiden turns away and walks a few steps. "If the Hero is able to slay the Demon Lord, I'm sure the world will be saved." She turns her head up to the two moons in the sky. "But if the fifteen-year-old girl who was attacked by goblins is still looking for salvation, no one would even notice. No matter how many goblins are slain, nothing... Nothing changes."

"So what? I think that's fine. You did say you went through something horrible."

The Sword Maiden nods. "Yes."

"I saw it happen, felt it... from start to finish."

The Sword Maiden turns to Owl. "Then-"

"I may not know exactly how you feel, but I can get a really good feeling."

"So, are you not going to save me?"

"I can..." Owl turns away. "But, I am going to try my best. So if any more goblins appear, call for me or Slayer. I'll eradicate them for you."

The Sword Maiden gasps and falls to her knees as she drops her weapon. "Even... Even in my dreams?"

Owl turns to the Sword Maiden and kneels down to her. He reaches into his armor and pulls out a large dream catcher, with many feathers attached to it. "Yeah." His feather flaps move up, though it's only the small feathers as all his large ones are missing.

"You will come?"

Owl grabs the Sword Maiden's hands and gives her the dream catcher, he then smiles. "Yes, because I am what gives the goblins nightmares."

Owl stands up and walks away.

The Sword Maiden holds the dream catcher close to her heart. "I-I..." Tears fall down her cheeks. "I cherish you... You really are like a Blind Saint."

Inside Priestess and Slayer are waiting, and they hear footsteps. 

Owl stands a few meters away. "It's done."

Priestess bows to Owl. "Thank you for reporting back to her."

Owl turns to Slayer. "It was as we thought."

"I see..." Slayer responds.

.

.

.

The next morning the party is on their way back home.

Elf stretches and lets out a moan. "Man, that was fun."

"You were the one crying like a baby after the goblins surrounded you." Dwarf states. "You're one to talk."

"Oh, come on. We survived and won." Elf holds up a large bag of coins. "We even got paid."

"I cannot help but feel that the Gate mirror went to waste, though." Lizard Priest states. "But we gathered valuable information, destroyed a heresy, and did many valorous deeds. I must say that I am overall satisfied with out work."

Dwarf holds up his bag of coins. "I've got no complaints as long as I get to eat something delicious with this money."

"All you dwarves care about is food." Elf complains.

Priestess smiles, then she glances over to the sleeping Owl and Goblin Slayer. The carriage shakes a few times, and a feather falls from the canary. Which Goblin Slayer is holding the cage.

Priestess grabs the small feather from within the cage, and puts it on Slayer's helmet. 

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f36333630566e77553656767344673d3d2d313430343435383635332e313739663939396539653364303566623931323934313737393833312e706e67

Priestess smiles. "Good work, Goblin Slayer." She turns to Owl and lightly pats his head. "You too, Owl."

Slayer looks up suddenly. "When we get back..."

"Jeez... If you're awake, just say so."

"I just woke up."

"I can't tell because you always have that helmet on."

"I see."

Slayer grabs a water skin and slightly lifts up his helmet, so he can drink. "When we get back, there's something I want to try."

"Something you want to try?" Priestess questions.

"Ice treats."

"Ice treats?" Lizard Priest questions, he gets excited. "Could I join you in tasting this ice treat you speak of?"

"If you want some, sure." Slayer replies. "It's made with milk."

"Oh, sweet nectar!"

Lizard Priest's tail slams onto the carriage, shaking it slightly. The carriage driver looks back in worry.

"Oh, s-sorry about that!" Priestess apologizes to the carriage driver.

Owl suddenly starts to whine. "Why is everyone so loud... I'm trying to sleep..."

"Sorry, Owl!"

"Come now, Bread-cutter." Dwarf starts. "How could you not rely on this dwarf with matters involving food?"

"Should I?" Slayer asks.

Dwarf crosses his arms. "Of course!"

"Then I guess I'll rely on you."

Owl stretches. "I'm hungry, where the food."

"We're nearly back to town, so not much longer." Priestess informs.

Owl makes an unhappy bird sound.

"So, how are you going to make it?" Dwarf asks about the Ice Treat.

Slayer makes a churning motion with his hands. "Apparently, you go like this."

Lizard Priest speaks up. "Sir Goblin Slayer, if you need to spin something, I believe something that uses a pedal to spin the object would be most effective."

"I see. You have a point."

"Goblin Slayer, I can have some, too, right?" Priestess asks.

"Sure."

"What are we talking about?" Owl asks.

"Ice treats." Slayer informs.

"Ohhhhh... I want some."

"Okay." Slayer then turns to Elf. Who just looks away. "What about you?"

"I don't know." Elf replies.

"You have to try it, it's really good!" Owl says with enthusiasm. 

"Okay, I guess I'll try some then."

"Don't kick me if it doesn't turn out right." Slayer says.

"Jeez, okay, fine!" Elf nearly shouts. "I won't kick you! I just don't want Owl to throw me in the lake again."

"I did warn you." Owl speaks up.

"I didn't think you'd actually do it!"

"I always make good on my threats."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12-10-2023

3991 words

0