A Gathering of Adventurers
27 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cow Girl hums whiles she cooks breakfast.

A Gathering of Adventurers

She takes a sip of the soup, and hums in delight. She then hears movement behind her and spots Slayer and Owl. Owl has a serious look on his face.

"Good morning!" Cow Girl smiles. "Just one sec. Breakfast is almost ready."

"Run." Slayer suddenly says.

Cow Girl grows confused. "Huh? Why? What's wrong? Where did that come from?"

"There were tracks. Goblins."

"But you two can defeat them, right?"

Owl shakes his head. "We can't."

Cow Girl grows scared.

"Even if there were a hundred of them inside a cave, we could win." Slayer states. "No matter what, I'd win. But... There were at least ten sets of scout footprints. This horde definitely has a leader. A hob... A shaman... No, judging from their numbers, it must be... The king of goblins, the Goblin Lord."

Owl speaks up. "They're going to attack tonight or tomorrow night. We don't have time to ask any other countries or lords for help. A horde of more than a hundred goblins will attack this place at once."

"A goblin... horde..." Cow Girl mutters, she grows even more scared. Thinking about what happened to her village all those years ago. "Why... would they attack here?"

"They probably want to make this place their stronghold, so that they can attack the town." Slayer informs. 

"We're not platinum-ranked adventurers..." Owl states, and he rubs the back of his slightly shaking hand. "We're not heroes..." he takes a deep breath. "We don't have enough people to face more than a hundred monsters in an open field."

"We lack the strength." Slayer continues. "We can't do it."

"And that's why you're telling me to run?" Cow Girl quietly asks.

"Yes."

"And I I go now, there'll be enough time?"

"Yes."

Cow Girl walks forward and stares at her two friends for a few seconds. "Okay."

"Have you decided?" Owl asks.

Cow Girl nods. "Yeah." She takes a deep breath and lets it out. "I'm sorry. I'm not going to run. Because I know you both are going to stay behind." Owl frowns and stays silent like Slayer. "See? I knew it. You two always go silent when you don't know what to do." She smiles at Slayer. "You've always been that way."

Owl starts to rub his hand harder.

"They won't just kill you." Slayer informs.

"Yeah, I can imagine." Cow Girl responds.

"I was watching..."

"Yes."

"Don't think that you'll survive. You might live, but you'll be dead inside."

The final moments of Owl's sight plays in his head. "Please, you need to run."

"I told you two, I won't!" Cow Girl curls her hands into fists. Tears start to form in her eyes. "Because... I don't want to go through that a second time." She puts a hand on Slayer's chest. "You'll both lose your home again..."

Owl turns his head away as he grips a hand close to his chest.

"And..." Cow Girl continues. "You know... Even if we run, if we lose our cows, sheep, and other livestock, it'd be..." She gains a small smile and looks up at Slayer. "You know... um..."

"I see." Slayer responds.

"Yeah. I'm really sorry. I know I'm being selfish here..." Cow Girl gives a sad smile.

"...Don't make that face."

Tear fall down Cow Girl's face.

Slayer turns away. "We'll do everything we can."

Cow Girl covers her eyes. "Okay."

Slayer walks off, but Owl remains for a few seconds.

"Do... prepare and stay safe." Owl says. "I... Slayer and I will not let them take our home."

"Thank you..." Cow Girl whispers through her hands.

Owl follows after Slayer, leaving Cow Girl to cry.

Owl steps outside beside Slayer, and he takes a deep breath.

"Let's go." Owl says.

"Right."

The two begin to head off.

"Hey." Uncle calls out from the side and the two stop. "At least say goodbye."

"I'm sorry." Slayer starts. "I..."

"She's a good girl. She grew up to be a good girl. So don't make her cry."

"I'll do my best." Slayer gives a bow to Uncle, before walking off.

"Stay safe, Uncle." Owl says before following Slayer.

.

.

.

Slayer and Owl enter the guild. The two walk straight up to Spearman.

"Goblin Slayer. Owl." Spearman turns to the two. "Wow, you're still alive, Slayer. You need something?"

Elf, Lizard Priest and Dwarf watch from the second floor.

"I apologize, but hear me out." Slayer starts. "We have a request."

"The Goblin Slayer and Blind Saint have a request?" Someone asks in surprise.

"Aren't they solo adventurers?" Another asks.

"Actually, it seems they've formed a party with a few people lately." Another informs.

"Really?" Someone asks.

"A horde of goblins is coming to a farm on the outskirts of town." Owl informs. "They'll probably attack tonight. I don't know how many there are."

"Man, I knew it'd be goblins." Someone scoffs.

"But goblins being in hordes is normal." Another says.

"Judging by the footprints left by the scouts, they have a Goblin Lord." Slayer informs. "Which means there's at least a hundred."

Spearman gasps.

"A hundred?!" Someone nearly shouts in question.

People start to murmur about.

"A hundred goblins?!"

"Seriously?"

"No way."

"What the hell?"

"What's going on?"

Owls' feather flaps move up.

"A lord?" Rookie Warrior questions, and he looks to Cleric.

"No idea." Cleric responds.

"Lords are a mutated class of goblins that specialize in leadership." Slayer informs. "They can be considered the top rank of goblins."

"The top?" Someone questions.

"And the horse that it's leading will be here soon." Owl informs. "There's no time. Slayer and I could handle them in a cave, but we can't handle them alone, out in the open."

Slayer and Owl then bow. "We'd like your help. Please." They asks at the same time.

People glance at each other.

"What should we do?"

"You're asking me?"

"Goblins, huh?"

"They should just handle them themselves."

"I'm definitely out."

"Me too. They're gross."

Owl grips the sides of his pants. On the upper levels Elf grows angry.

Spearman stands up and goes in front of the two. "Hey." Owl and Slayer stop bowing and look to him. "I think you've got the wrong idea about something." He then speaks loudly. "This is an adventurers' guild, and we're adventurers. We're not obligated to listen to requests. You need to put up a quest, which means a reward. Right?" he glances at people around him.

Owl is taken aback as his jaw slightly drops.

People start to agree with Spearman, but his partner just closes her eyes and doesn't respond.

"What the hell?!" Elf shouts as people yell about. She goes to jump down there, but Lizard Priest grabs her.

"Long-ears, if you go out right now, it's just going to complicate things." Dwarf states.

Lizard Priest then speaks. "I understand how you feel, but please wait a moment."

Elf struggles against Lizard Priests hold. "Let me go!

Guild Girl gasps and runs off to the back.

"Yes." Slayer responds to Spearman. "You're right."

"Okay, then, tell us." Spearman starts. "How much are you going to pay us for dealing with a hundred goblins?"

"Everything." Owl states in a serious tone.

"Huh?" Spearman then gasps in shock, and everyone goes quiet.

Owl continues with a serious tone. "Everything we own is the reward.

"What do you mean by that?"

"All of our belongings. Everything within our discretion. Our equipment, all of our assets, knowledge, time, and..." Owl takes a deep breath.

"Your life?" 

"Yes... Our lives, as well."

"And what if I tell you to go die?" Spearman asks.

"We can't do that." Owl informs.

"What?"

"There's someone who might cry if either I or Slayer die. We were told that we can't make them cry. So, our lives isn't within our discretion."

Spearman just stares at Owl in shock. Before he sighs. "I seriously have no idea what either of you are thinking, but I can tell you're serious about this."

"Yes. I'm very serious." Owl states.

Spearman rubs his head. "God damn it..." He then puts a hand on Owl's head. "I don't need your life, you dumbass!" He heads back to his table. "Just buy me a drink later. come on, that's basically market price. A silver-ranked adventurer is saying that he'll slay some goblins for you. Be thankful, client."

A smile forms on Owl's face. "Yes. We're sorry." He and Slayer bow again.

"Thank you." Slayer says.

Spearman waves his hand at the two. "Hey, cut it out. Thank me after we're done slaying those things."

Elf hops down from the second floor. "Me, too! I'm going to slay some goblins, too!" She points at Owl and Slayer. "But only if you'll come with us again!" She puts her hands on her hip. "I'll take you two on a real adventure next time!"

Owl smiles. "Okay."

Dwarf heads down the stairs. "You two need to buy me more than one drink. I'm going to need a whole barrel."

"Alright." Slayer agrees. "I'll get you one."

"You mind if I tag along on this adventure of yours, too, long-ears?"

"Of course!" Elf agrees. "We're a party!"

Lizard Priest follows behind Dwarf. "Which would mean that I must accompany you, as well. Very well. This is a request from a friend. But if I were to ask for a reward..."

"Cheese?" Owl chirps.

"Yes, and if possible..."

"Ice crème?" Owl tilts his head.

Lizard Priest chuckles. "Yes, they are truly nectar of the gods!"

Slayer then speaks. "They don't belong to me, but they're both made at the farm."

"Then we must punish those foul creatures that come from below."

"That makes six." Spearman says.

"No, seven..." Witch stands up. "Inflammarae. Though we might actually have eight..."

"Everyone!" Guild Girl runs to the front of the guild. "The Guild... The Guild is offering a quest, too! There is now a reward for one gold coin for every goblin you slay!" Everyone gasps in shock. "This is your big chance!"

People begin to talk amongst themselves.

"Seriously?" 

"One gold coin for every goblin slain?"

"You're okay with this, right?" Guild Girl colleague asks the guild manager.

It's information from a silver-ranked adventurers. I'm sure it'll be fine." The manager responds. "Not to mention... It's hard to say no when they're that passionate about it."

Heavy Warrior stands up from his seat. "Tch. Guess I don't have a choice."

"You're going?" Female Knight asks.

"I don't care for the Goblin Slayer, Owl not too bad, but there's a reward involved."

"Really, can't you be more honest? Why don't you just tell them that this is all because they're the ones who slew the goblins that appeared in your hometown?"

Heavy Warrior gasps. "Shut up! They don't need to know that! I just want the gold coins for slaying those goblins!"

Female Knight stands up and smiles. "Well, I'm trying to become a Paladin myself. If someone needs my help, I can't say no."

Their male rookie looks to his Rhea partner. "Well, if Bro and Sis are going, I guess I am, too."

Another rookie steps up. "You're right."

The female Rhea smiles. "Guess we'll have to go."

Rookie Warrior turns to Cleric. "Hey."

"What?" Cleric questions.

"I haven't slain any goblins yet."

"Well, we heard that it was dangerous."

"But I think I should start."

"Yeah... They did help us out, too."

People continue to give excuses to come and help Slayer and Owl.

"I became an adventurer the same day he did, so I guess this is some kind of fate."

"It'd be weird if the two guys who only talk about goblins just disappeared one day."

"Can't go losing our Blind Saint can we?"

"Yeah, they're the guild's most popular product. Everyone talks about him."

"Gotta help the Blind Slayer, I guess."

A large smile forms on Owl's face as his feather flaps shoot up.

"They're annoying when they're here, but it'd be lonely if they're were gone."

"Owl helped my daughter get over her fears of Goblins, so I guess I owe him one."

"Honestly... I've never heard of such a strange quest."

Guild Girl smiles at all the people volunteering. 

"We're not comrades or friends, but we are adventurers!"

Everyone holds up their weapons to the sky. "Leave it to us adventurers!"

Slayer looks over to Guild Girl, and she gives him a big smile.

Priestess walks up to the two. "This is wonderful."

"Yeah." Owl says with a smile.

"Of course, I'll be coming along, too."

Slayer nods. "Yeah."

.

.

.

Adventurers surround the farm as they all prepare for the goblin onslaught.  Moonlight and torches are they're only source of light.

"Hey!" Someone calls out a few people run over with their weapons at the ready.

Laughs and many footsteps echo out from the forest. Goblin make their way out of the forest and towards the farm.

"Here they come."

But suddenly they hold up several large shields with Adventurers strung up on them. All the goblins start to laugh.

Few people start to sweat and shake as the goblins continue their approach. 

But a fine red mist starts to form around the first wave of approaching goblins and they all passes out and fall onto the ground.

Dwarf holds a hand out. "Stupor."

"Sleep." Witch gasps.

"Sleep, you goblins! Now!"

Several adventures climb off the ground and run towards the sleeping goblins.

"Don't worry about the goblins!" Someone shouts. "Secure the shields!"

A few of the goblins that were out of range of the mist, step back in fear. But regain their scenes as the adventurers grab hold of the shields that contain adventurers stung to them. 

More goblins pour out of the forest and charge towards the farm.

"Hurry! Fall back! Fall back!"

Goblin Archers set up and get ready to fire, only to be counter sniped by archers set up on the farm roof.

"Honestly, those are your shields?" Elf, glowing white, scoffs as she readies another arrow. The dream catcher attached to the bottom of her bow, sways. "How low can you get?"

Arrows fly into the approaching horde.

"That's the last of the shields!" Someone shouts.

"I've taken care of all the spellcasters I can see!" Elf shouts.

"Alright!"

Someone holds up a lantern and shakes it.

Lanterns behind the farm light up, as many other adventurers get of the ground from hiding.

"Alright, here we go!" Spearman shouts. "Time to make some gold, boys! Get them!"

The adventurers give a battle cry and charge towards the goblin hoard.

The goblins start to panic as they all get cut down one by one.

Deep in the forest several groups of goblins try flaking the farm. A few laugh as they mimic crying humans, not noting several of their friends disappear into the shadows.

A goblin stops and scratches its back, only for a clawed hand to appear out of the shadows and grab its head. The goblin starts to scream in pain as the many other goblins stop and look back, only to see the one goblin's head explode. 

They all shout around and back away in fear. A burning golden halo lights up in the shadows. Owl steps out of the shadows, a large frown adorning his face. 

His bandage glows gold as his halo burns brightly. Several goblins laugh and charge at Owl, only to be cut in half by a golden spear.

Owl cracks his neck as he readies the two golden spears in his hands. 

"Lots of little bugs have walked into my territory..." Owl holds up a spear towards the goblins. "Bugs are to be exterminated. Carabunculus... Crescunt..." A large fireball forms on the end of his spear. "Iacta!"

The goblins scream as the fireball flies from Owl's spear and engulfs the remaining ones. The ones that did escape the flames, are swiftly cut down by Owl.

Blood splatters onto Owl's armor as he crushes the head of a goblin under his boot.

Suddenly a hobgoblin charges out from the tree behind Owl, with its club held high. But its head explodes into a gory mess as Owl throws a spear behind him and into the hob's face.

"Telekinesis." Owl flicks his hand back and the spear flies right back to it.

Suddenly a high pitched ring echoes through the forest and Owl's feather flaps shoot up, as he looks towards the source of the rining.

"So he found it..." Owl smiles. "Good, I'm coming Slayer."

Owl goes to step off in a run, only to twist his body to the side and deflect a throwing knife. Owl looks towards where the knife came from.

"Come out!" Owl shouts.

A figure wearing a black robe, with its hood up, jumps down from the tree canopy. Two short swords are attached to its hip. A pair of yellow eyes glare at Owl.

Owl takes a step back as the figure lowers its hood, revealing it to be a goblin. Several knives shine from under the goblins robe.

'Shit!' Owl sweats as he grits his teeth. 'A Goblin Assassin...' Owl readies his spears. 'This just got a whole lot more difficult.'

Owl and the Goblin Assassin stare each other down. Waiting for the other to make the first move.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12-12-2023

2672 words

1