Chapter 4
111 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Make sure to drop a heart if you enjoy!

 

“So let me get this straight. You overused your power to the point that every time you tried to use it your body zapped itself. Then you wake up, naked as hell and hanging from a big tree. You pass out again, and then you wake up to some cat-people looking at you like a zoo animal, and then you get brought to some big chief and, like a dumbass, say “I don’t know” when he asks you how you got there. So, understandably, they try to feed you to some rancor-like monster they have who knows where, and then you teleport back here.” He asked with a straight face.

 

Cain grimaced, “Yep, that's pretty spot on” He said tiredly.

 

Jordan rubbed his eyes and looked at the ceiling, “What the fuck.”

 

“Yep.” Cain muttered.

 

“Are you able to teleport away from them, or are you just fucked if you go back?” He asked.

 

“I’m just fucked if I go back, I can’t change the spot I arrive at when I swap worlds.” He said, disappointed. He had no idea how he was going to fix the situation with the tiger clan. The second he teleported there he imagined he’d just get skewered, and even if he didn't he still had no way to get out of the swamp. He didn’t even entertain the idea of swimming out, who knows what kind of horrors were in that hell hole. “I don't know what to do.” He muttered.

 

“Well… what if you brought them food?” Jordan asked.

 

Cain blinked, “Food?” he said doubtfully.

 

Jordan nodded, “Yeah, my mother always said the key to someone's heart was through their stomach.” 

 

Cain stared at him.

 

-.-.-

 

“Hey, can I get fifty shack burgers?” Cain asked.

 

The shake shack employee looked at him flatly, “Fifty shack burgers?” He double checked.

 

“Yeah” Cain said with a grimace.

 

“Sure thing.” The employee muttered, “In the future though please call an order like this in, it’s going to be awhile before all of them are ready.” He said.

 

Cain just nodded.

 

1 ½ hours later.

 

Holding two large bags full of burgers, Cain stood in his room in preparation. 

 

“Ok, so the second anything remotely dangerous happens your teleporting back right?” Jordan asked nervously.

 

The blonde just nodded, “Yeah, no way i'm sticking around long enough to get stabbed” he said. Jordan nodded and just stared at him. Taking a deep breath Cain tried to hype himself up. He was going into a dangerous situation with almost no information so there was a high chance he could get injured. He was confident enough in his ability that he could escape death though. Closing his eyes he mentally commanded, ‘I want to be in the forest!’

 

With a pop he opened his eyes to find himself back on the very high platform, the scenery a bit darker now due to the later hour. Immediately he noticed several tiger clan members staring at him in shock, and just as several guards grabbed their spears he held his hands in the air, “WAIT! I BRING A PEACE OFFERING! I HAVE FOOD!” He shouted, holding up a burger. The guards froze and sniffed the air, and he could have sworn he saw one of them drool a little.

 

They quickly regained their focus though and surrounded him, spears pointed in his direction. ‘Shit! Do I teleport now?’ He thought, staring at the pointy stone spears nervously. Right as he was about to leave a man wearing an intricate necklace stepped forward and scowled at him, “You have some nerve coming here again, human. Why did you return?” He asked sternly.

 

Cain forced his muscles to relax and held out a burger to the man, seeing him stare at it in interest. “Well, I figured I needed to make amends for how rudely I intruded on your lands.” He said amicably, although inside he was still a bit peeved at how they just kidnapped him. “So, I brought some of the best foods my home has to offer in hopes that you will take it as an apology gift,” he said.

 

The dark skinned man stared at him doubtfully, “You possess the ability to teleport.” He stated, “From what I'm aware that is a rare and coveted skill among the humans, and yet instead of never returning here and carrying on with your life in peace, you decide to come back to… apologize?” he asked, skepticism plain to hear in his voice.

 

Cain laughed nervously, “...yes?” he forced out.

 

The man furrowed his brow, his tail swishing back and forth behind him, “Take a bite of that food.” he commanded.

 

Cain shrugged and took a bite, enjoying the burger. After swallowing he held it up, “See? It's good.” He muttered. He held the burger out to the man, watching his eyes light up as the scent of the burger washed over him.

 

Grabbing the burger the man looked at it suspiciously, before taking a small bite. Instantly his face brightened and his muscles relaxed, his ears twitched happily on his head as he chewed. He quickly went back for another bite and practically shoved three quarters of the burger in his mouth.

 

He looked at Cain with awe and jealousy, “This is what human nobles eat every day?! No wonder they are all as fat as a cow!” He muttered, before scarfing the rest of the burger down.

 

Cain shrugged, “I mean, it's what people eat at my home at least.” He said with a shrug.
“Do you… want another?” He asked, holding up one of the bags.

 

The beastkin quickly regained his dignity and stared at him impassively for a moment, “You are not like other humans. I heard you nobles were a prideful bunch, I never imagined one of you would apologize to someone, let alone a bunch of beastkins. Do you not hate us?” he asked.

 

Now it was Cain's turn to be confused, “Why would I hate you? I don't even know you?”

 

The man's eyes widened slightly before he let out a laugh, “A very good reason to not hate someone indeed!” He shouted, before looking at the guards that were all staring at his shake shack bag intensely. “Get the chief! Tell him that the strange human from earlier has brought a gift, also let him know Kanuk verified that it is a gift worthy of his time.” He said, and the guards reluctantly turned away from the delicious smelling food to go and get the chief.

 

Cain awkwardly looked at the man now that they were left in silence, “So… your name is Kanuk?” He asked.

 

Kanuk gave him a grin full of teeth, and Cain absently noticed that his canines were longer than a humans as well, “Indeed! I am Kanuk! Leader of the Chiefs guards! I am aware that you have already met my son and daughter!” He said boisterously.

 

Cain's eyes lit up, the pieces clicking into place “Ah! You mean Tali and Kalu?” He asked?

 

Somehow his smile seemed to get even larger, “Yes! Tali was disappointed when she heard of your fate! Speaking of names, what is yours?” he asked curiously.

 

“Uh, it's Cain, nice to meet you.” He said, holding his hand out for a hand shake, however Kanuk just stared at his hand curiously.

 

“What are you doing?” He asked.

 

Cain put his hand down with a grimace, “It’s called a hand shake and it's a common greeting in my home.”

 

Kanuk nodded as if he just got enlightened to some great secret, “I see! Then hold out your hand Cain!” He said enthusiastically, as he mimicked the motion leading to the most awkward handshake Cain has ever had, Kanuk on the other hand seemed entirely unaffected, still smiling joyfully.

 

“Kanuk.” He heard a deep voice rumble, and looking over Cain saw the chief of the Tiger clan walking over with an entourage of guards. Following behind them though he noticed a bunch of villagers trailing behind curiously, in the crowd he also noticed Tali who gave him a small wave.

 

Immediately Kanuk’s face lost some of its carefreeness as he lowered his head in deference to the Chief. “Chief Tian!” He saluted, “The human, Cain, has brought us the gift of food in hopes of making amends for trespassing on our sacred land!” he said, unknowingly causing Cain to flinch ‘SACRED LAND!?’ He thought in shock, ‘No wonder they were so pissed!’

 

The huge man turned his gaze to the human, studying him. “Well? Where is this food?” He asked.

 

Cain opened the first bag and pulled out a couple boxes full of burgers, “Here, these are called cheese burgers and they are made from cow meat, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and bread.” He said, opening a box and handing it to the chief. He also handed a couple more out to the guards, and pretended not to notice Kanuk sneakily reach into the bag and grab another.

 

The Chief sniffed the burger, his ears twitching slightly at the scent. Taking a bite the man froze, and Cain finally saw his impassive mask crack slightly, a small smile crawling up his face as he chewed gracefully. The guards on the other hand were not as reserved, quickly scarfing the food down like their life depended on it.

 

After finishing the burger, the Chief looked at Cain in a new light. “Human! No, Cain! You are forgiven for your crimes! I have never had food as good as this!” He said, making a lot of the villagers watching the interaction stare at the food in interest and hunger.

Cain smiled wryly at this, ‘Jordan was right, the key to anyone's heart really is through food.’

8