Chapter 11
174 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cain hands the lady at the stall a copper coin and in return she hands him a roasted fish with a stick stabbed into it. He smiles at the kind Tiger clan woman and walks away, taking a bite of the deboned fish. ‘Eh’ he thinks with a shrug, not surprised that the food was bland.

He had wanted to try the local food, which seemed to mostly consist of fish and other things caught in the swamp, so he has been visiting the local food stalls. So far he’s had some bland, tough bread, a cup of some kind of fruit similar to blueberry, and now this fish. All in all the food was as he expected, with only the berry’s really tasting good. Pulling out a bottle of soy sauce he poured it over the fish before taking another bite. ‘Better’ he thought, enjoying the salty flavor mixed with the fish meat. 

He put the soy sauce back in his backpack and continued walking, passing several brothels and taverns which only seemed to get more lively as the sun set. Today really lived up to its name as the people celebrated, with drunk men and women passing him while shouting in revelry. The brothels were also very active, with several women trying to wave him over, and while he was tempted he chose not to, as he’d rather his first time not be with a prostitute.

Taking another bite of his fish he passed an alley just in time for a large man with antlers to rush past him, vomiting everywhere. Cain grimaced at the scene while the beastkin’s friends all laughed their asses off at him.

Sidestepping the man he attempted to pass, however after the deer man finished spitting the vomit from his mouth he looked up and locked eyes with Cain. ‘Shit’ Cain thought as he saw the large man's eyes widen before a scowl overtook his face.

“Ta’ fucks a ‘uman doin ‘ere!?” he shouted, his voice slurred from both a foreign accent and too much alcohol. Standing to his full height of six feet, he looked Cain up and down with hostile confusion.

The rest of his buddies, who all also had reindeer antlers, walked over as well. They all had varying degrees of suspicion and anger on their faces, and Cain counted five of them; four men and one woman. 

“The ‘ell?”

“It's a stinkin ‘uman!”

“Ya think ‘es one a those nobles? Look at ‘is ‘air!”

“Nah, ta fuck would one of em be doin ‘ere?”

Listening to the beastkin talk about him to his face he held up his hands disarmingly, “Listen, I'm not here for trouble. I was hired by Chief Tian of the tiger clan to cook the food served to the higher ups and the spirit of life.” he said calmly.

The beastkin that threw up, who Cain presumed was the ‘ringleader’, stepped up to him with a scowl, “Ya damn liar! No beastkin would hire a ‘uman for somethin so important!” he shouted, some spit flying from his mouth and landing on Cain's face.

Cain, now slightly annoyed at having to deal with a bunch of drunks, narrowed his eyes, “Well, you can take up your issues with the Chief then vomit breath!” He spit out, wiping the spit from his face.

The drunk man scowled heavily as the woman behind him snickered slightly, “‘ou you callin vomit breath ya bastard! You're just a ‘uman!” he shouted angrily.

Cain grinned, “You, ya fucking grass muncher!” he shouted at the deer man.

The man grit his teeth and grabbed Cain but the collar, “The fuck you say!” he shouted, throwing the human onto the alleyway floor.

Cain grunted in pain as he hit the ground, ‘Crap, maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut’ he thought as the beastkin surrounded him. For a moment he had forgotten how physically superior the beastkin are to humans.

Quickly getting back to his feet he debated just teleporting home, however as he was lost in his thoughts vomit guy advanced on him and socked him in the stomach, ‘Oh my god! Was I just hit by a truck!?' he thought as he wheezed in pain, he didn't even see the punch until it hit him. Cain almost crumpled to the ground but one of the deer guys held him up from behind. The physical contact with the beastkin was the only reason he didn't teleport home right away, as anyone he is touching will come with him.

The dickhead in front of him grinned, “Not so ‘igh and mighty are ya now ‘uh! Yah goddamn ‘umans are all the same! Nah’t a bit ah respect!” He said with a laugh, “Tha’s why we beastkin gotta’ beat it intah yah!” He slurred angrily.

Cain clenched his jaw in anger, “At least I don’t have to duck every time I walk through a door! Are you some kind of deer beastkin or a coat rack?! Your half of an animal that communicates by pissing on each other! How fun- ugh” interrupting Cain the beastkin punched him in the stomach again. 

The general sense of amusement he was getting from the man and his five cohorts was now gone, and they were all scowling at him now. “Fucking ape” the beastkin spat at him, “You jus’ made a ‘uge mistake.” he growled.

Before Cain could comment, vomit guy came up to him and punched him in the face, hard. The human saw stars for a moment as his brain rebooted from the hit, and when he came to he was able to see he was on the ground for a moment before he was kicked in the stomach. 

Cain felt himself vomit, but he wasn’t really aware what was happening as hit after hit landed on him. ‘I want to go back to my dor-’ “Ack!” he spat, as his attempt at teleporting was interrupted by a hit to the side of the head.

He felt another kick land on his back before another voice cut in, “Oi! What the hell are you doing!?” 

Cain groaned in pain as the bastards backed off slightly to see who was interrupting them. Looking over Cain saw a man with a huge frame that was at least eight feet tall. His hair was a rustic red and two large bull horns were coming out of his temples. 

Vomit guy stepped forward, “Nothin’ you gotta worry about! We’re just teachin this ‘uman a lesson. I ‘on’t know how he even got ‘ere!” he said.

The bull man stepped forward, “Well, I do know.” He said, causing the vomit guy to raise his eyebrows in surprise. “This human is an honored guest of Chief Tian, and provided us with food that impressed even the divine spirit! It’s because of this man that this year is going to be our most profitable in centuries and your BEATING HIM!” the man shouted, causing vomit guy to back up in surprise.

The large man lifted his arm and brought it down, punching the asswipe in the face. The man practically folded like a chair and everyone grimaced, even Cain felt himself wincing at the sound produced from his fist meeting the deer man's head. ‘Well, he’s not getting up any time soon’ the human thought as he stared at the man’s defeated form.

The bull man scoffed at the sight before turning to the rest of the drunk grass eaters, “Now get out of here before I drag all of you to the Chiefs!” He shouted, causing vomit mans ‘buddies’ to all flee without a second thought.

Cain stood on shaky legs with a grimace, “Damn!” He said with a wince, his entire body sore from the beating he just took, “You couldn't have showed up like ten seconds earlier?” He asked with a small grin.

The large man walked up to him with a grin, “Eh, you're fine.” He said in amusement, “But I'll treat ya to some ale to help with the pain as an apology.” he offered.

Cain smiled, “Deal!” He said, holding out his hand.

The man wrapped his large hand around Cain’s and shook it hard enough to almost dislocate it, “Great! The name Blu!” he said enthusiastically.

-.-.-

Cain stared at the mug in his hands apprehensively, the ‘ale’ inside looking more like a really thick red soup.

“What? You never had mead? I figured you would have tried it before, it’s a human beverage after all.” Blu said, looking at Cain.

Cain shrugged, “Mead? No. I was expecting beer.” He said.

Blu tilted his head, “Beer?” he asked.

Cain nodded at the large man, “Yeah, it’s similar to mead however it’s a lot less thick.” He said, “Remind me to get you some as thanks for saving my ass.”

Blu nodded but didn’t say anything else, so Cain brought the mug up to his mouth and took a sip of the mead. ‘Huh’ he thought. “Not bad” He grinned, “Tastes sweet!”

The bull beastkin grinned, “Of course it is, it’s made with the local carmine berries.” he said.

Cain nodded before switching the subjects, “So how did you know who I was anyways? Did Tian send you to guard me or something?” he asked.

Blu shook his head with a laugh, “Nah, I’m just friends with a lot of people in the Tiger clan so I know from them. They like to talk but nothing interesting ever happens around here so they are always excited when something new comes along.” he said.

“Ah,” Cain said in understanding, he had also noticed that a lot of the tiger clan woman were gossips “So, if you know a lot of people around here maybe you can help me out. I’m looking for a tiger clan girl named Tali, I figured she’d be around here somewhere.” 

Blu’s eyebrows raised in surprise, “Kanuk’s daughter?” he said, and Cain nodded with a grin, “Quite a catch you got there, you two together?” He asked with a sly smile.

Cain felt his face heat up slightly, “No, no, nothing like that,” He said with an embarrassed laugh, “Were just friends for now.”

The beastkin’s grin widened, “‘For now’ huh?” He asked, and Cain shrugged, not bothering to take back what he said. “She’s quite the energetic one, never quite able to sit still. I feel bad for your pelvis my friend!” He said with a laugh.

Cain grimaced with a blush, “Alright I get it” He said, only making Blu laugh harder, “So, do you know where I can find her?” He asked, hoping to change the subject.

Blu nodded and decided to let up, “Yeah, she’s most likely watching the tournament right now.” he said, “Or participating in it,” he added.

The human raised a brow, “Tournament?” He said.

Blu nodded, “Yeah, there's always three main events every year. The talent show, which is probably already over. The tournament that is happening right now, and finally there's a play put on by the hosting tribe at the end.

Cain chugged the rest of his mead, “Well, do you want to head there with me? That sounds interesting.” he said.

Blu shrugged and chugged his own ale, “Sure why not, I ain’t got anything better to do.”

 

Drop a heart if you enjoy!

6