Chapter 54-Lake of Memories Part 1
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They all readied their weapons, prepared to face whatever danger lay ahead, but after about a minute of waiting, no such thing ever came.

“Should we… go?” Sera asked but kept her guard up in case the dungeon sprung a surprise at them.

“Yeah,” Zayzal replied, lowering his spear slightly. “Might as well. Who knows? This could be our reward.”

There wasn’t anything left after they completed this section of the dungeon, and going back to try and find anything new was something nobody wanted. So, their only option now was to go forward.

Receiving nods from everyone, Zayzal stepped into the passageway first, followed by the other three. They slowly stepped across the hard, cement-like floors onto a patch of soft, green grass that surrounded the lake. 

As soon as they all made it through, the wall behind them closed shut with a bang.

Marcus and Fenrir jumped in surprise, only to calm down a second later, realizing it was just the door before they became worried again. 

“I… I guess we won’t be going back.” He chuckled awkwardly, but there was a hint of excitement in his eyes. 

“Yeah…” Sera muttered, walking over to the wall. She gave it a few hard pushes, but it didn’t budge at all, forcing her to give up. 

“Seems like we’re close to the end,” Zayzal said, making his way toward the lake while using his spear as a walking stick. “So, either this room is where the final boss is, or it’ll happen soon.”

“So, the dungeon is basically telling us to complete it or die trying,” Sera grumbled as she kicked up a chunk of dirt. 

“Wasn’t that always the case?” Zayzal asked back, to which Sera nodded. 

“Yeah, but now it’s forcing us. With the other dungeons, we at least had the opportunity to leave if we wanted to.”

“Hmmm…” Zayzal took special note of that, but since there was nothing he could do about that now, he just logged it in his mind and moved on.

The group approached the lake, the serene water reflecting the clear sky above. Zayzal knelt by the water's edge, dipping his fingers in. He immediately noticed that the mana in the air was denser here, almost tangible, and it seemed to be emanating from the lake itself.

“Guys, this lake... it’s not ordinary. The mana is incredibly dense here,” Zayzal said, his voice tinged with curiosity.

Marcus and Sera joined him, each touching the water in turn. As they did, a ripple of energy pulsed through them, making their skin tingle with power.

“Feels like we could use this to get stronger,” Marcus remarked, a sense of awe in his voice. He didn’t know it before, but seeing Zayzal and Sera fight with such strength and ease made him desire that same power as well. 

‘I don’t want to be left behind, either.’ He thought, eager to find out how he could become like them.

“But how do we cross it?” Sera pondered, gazing across the vast expanse of water. “It looks too calm. I don’t trust it.”

Zayzal stood up, considering their options. “We might have to swim across, but stay alert. This place is part of the dungeon, after all.”

Without hesitation, he stripped down to his underwear, revealing his toned olive skin that was littered with small scars from the battles that he’s faced so far. 

Sera wasn’t bothered by the sight and did the same. Except she just stripped down to an undershirt, bra, and a pair of linen underwear that went down to her thigh.

Marcus wasn’t sure what to make of the scene and quickly averted his eyes before hesitantly taking off his shirt. However, Zayzal gave him a look that said, ‘You might want to take off your pants.’ He could only oblige.

With their clothes stored away in their packs, they all stood at the water's edge with everything on their backs except for their weapons, which they held.

“Before we start swimming across, possibly facing any unknown dangers, I’d like to take advantage of this opportunity,” Zayzal said as he turned to face Marcus. “Get in.” He ordered.

“Huh?” Marcus almost looked around, wondering if he was talking to someone else, but stopped the urge. “Me?” He pointed at himself. “Why?”

“I’m going to help you get stronger.” 

After Zayzal said that, Marcus hopped in the water without hesitation, creating a small splash.

Sera and Zayzal chuckled while shaking their heads. The latter walked toward the edge of the water and got in alongside him, standing behind Marcus as he put a hand on his head.

“Alright, now close your eyes and try to calm yourself. I’ll give you a minute before we get started, as I don’t want to cause any damage to your mind.” He said, then glanced over and gave Sera a look. “Defend us as I help him.”

Sera nodded and grasped her axe and shield, glaring at the water with the eyes of a hawk.

Marcus took a deep breath, closed his eyes, and tried to steady his racing heart.

“Focus on your breathing,” Zayzal instructed in a calm, steady voice. “Feel the mana around you.”

Marcus took several deep breaths, trying to center himself amidst the unusual setting. The dense mana surrounding the lake felt almost palpable against his skin, a sensation he had never experienced before.

"Good, now try to feel the mana. It's like a river around us, flowing and ever-present," Zayzal continued his voice a calming presence in Marcus's mind.

Sera, standing guard, kept her eyes fixed on the still surface of the lake, her grip on her axe and shield firm. The tranquility of the water seemed deceptive, and she was ready for any sign of disturbance.

As Marcus focused, he began to sense the mana around him. It was an odd feeling, like becoming aware of a sense he never knew he had. The energy of the lake seemed to pulse in rhythm with his own heartbeat.

“Can you feel it?” Zayzal asked, sensing the change in Marcus.

“Yeah, it’s... strange. Like something's flowing through me,” Marcus replied, his voice filled with wonder.

“That's mana. Now, try to draw it into you, gently. Imagine it merging with your own energy.”

Marcus concentrated, envisioning the mana around him being absorbed into his body. He felt a warmth spreading through him, energizing and invigorating.

Meanwhile, Sera's attention was momentarily drawn to the water lapping gently at the shore. She noticed subtle ripples forming, not caused by them. Her instincts kicked in, and she tightened her grip on her weapons.

“Guys, we might have company soon,” she warned, her voice low but urgent.

Zayzal opened his eyes, alert, but didn’t move from his position. “Don’t worry about us, Sera. Handle it. We’re almost there.”

Sera nodded, shifting into a defensive stance as shapes began to emerge from the water. Her mana and weapon were primed, ready to defend them at a moment’s notice.

Meanwhile, Zayzal sent mana into his eyes, activating his [Pathfinder] talent. Inside Marcus’s head, he saw a wriggling blue orb that represented his telepathy talent. From it, he saw countless other little illusory pathways directing him to the edges of his mind. 

Almost like the way to move forward was to map out neural pathways to explore their mind.

Taking in a deep breath of his own, Zayzal sent a stream of mana into Marcus’s body, illuminating his [Telepathy] talent along with the pathways.

“Marcus, can you sense your talent?” Zayzal asked, his voice a guiding beacon in the stillness.

Marcus focused inward and tried to visualize the blue orb by following the warm sensation entering his mind. “I... I think so,” he muttered, his voice laced with concentration.

“Good,” Zayzal encouraged. “Now, let’s start mapping. Imagine this orb as the center of your mental landscape. We’re going to explore the edges of this space, push the boundaries. Just follow my lead and let the mana guide you.”

Marcus focused intently, the sensation of Zayzal’s mana acting as a guide through the uncharted territory of his mind. The process was unlike anything he had ever experienced – a journey through the depths of his consciousness.

“Imagine each pathway as a possibility, a representation of your potential that lies dormant within you,” Zayzal instructed softly, his hand steady on Marcus’s head. “Then, send mana into each one of them. I’ll help illuminate them.”

Marcus visualized the pathways, each one glowing brighter as Zayzal’s mana touched them. Some paths seemed more natural, while others were so faint that he would’ve never found them without Zayzal’s help. 

He directed the mana from the water into his body, channeling it to his talent, where he distributed it to each pathway. They lit up one by one, helping him create a map of his mind.

Meanwhile, Sera remained vigilant, her eyes scanning the lake’s surface. The ripples grew more frequent, and soon, shadowy figures emerged from the water, heading towards them. With a grunt, she swung her axe, dissipating the first figure that came within reach. Her shield glowed and was ready to deflect any magical attack.

“Keep going, Zayzal. I’ve got this,” she called out, her focus unwavering as she fended off the figures.

Zayzal nodded, his concentration on Marcus. “You’re doing great, Marcus. I can see the connections forming. Let’s strengthen them.”

Marcus felt a surge of energy as Zayzal’s mana infused the pathways. It was overwhelming but exhilarating. He could feel his mind expanding and growing stronger.

“I feel it... it’s like my mind is opening up,” Marcus said, a mixture of awe and excitement in his voice.

“Now, harness that feeling and keep going. Fill up those pathways as much as possible until you’re forced to stop,” Zayzal urged.

Marcus did as instructed, focusing on the blue orb at the center of his mental landscape. He felt it pulsate with energy, resonating with the newly strengthened pathways. Slowly, he began to sense the minds of those around him – Sera’s determined focus, Zayzal’s calm guidance, even Fenrir’s animalistic instincts.

“It’s working! I can... I can somewhat sense what you’re feeling,” Marcus exclaimed, his eyes still closed but gleaming with the power of his enhanced talent.

“That’s it, Marcus! You’ve taken the first step!” Zayzal exclaimed with a hint of pride in his voice.

At the lakeshore, Sera continued to battle the shadowy figures. Her movements were fluid and precise, a dance of steel and determination. With each figure she dispatched, another seemed to take its place, but she remained strong, fighting them off without much issue.

“Alright, Marcus, we need to wrap this up. Sera needs our help,” Zayzal said, gradually withdrawing his mana.

Marcus opened his eyes, the world coming back into focus. He felt different – more aware, more connected.

Together, Zayzal and Marcus stood up, ready to join the fray. Marcus, now empowered with his enhanced talent, reached out with his mind, sensing the intentions of the shadowy figures and predicting their movements.

With this new insight, the trio fought off the figures with renewed vigor. Marcus directed his mental energy toward the figures, locating their position along with Fenrir and making them easier targets for Zayzal and Sera. One by one, the shadowy figures dissipated until the lake’s surface was calm once again.

“Now… protect us as I help Sera, Marcus,” Zayzal said after taking a moment to catch his breath.

“...”

1