Chapter 63-Crystal Birds
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zayzal’s truck sped down the Serbian motorway as he looked for a place to stop. Since they had barely escaped an encounter with a massive bird-like creature, he wasn’t too keen on staying out in the open like this anymore.

Suddenly, a shadow loomed over the truck, casting a brief moment of darkness before disappearing. Then it happened again, but Zayzal didn’t think too much of it as he was focused on driving and couldn’t be bothered with random clouds. 

However, this happened repeatedly, causing the ones directly affected by the change in light to open their eyes.

Leo squinted upwards, trying to identify the source. His eyes widened as he spotted three large crystal birds circling above them. "Guys, get ready for battle!" he shouted, his voice urgent.

Zayzal glanced at the rearview mirror, seeing Leo’s head tilted up with a serious expression. He had a bad feeling about this. "...What is it?"

"Crystal birds! Three of them!" Leo yelled, pointing skyward.

Just as Leo finished his warning, one of the birds dived towards them. It tucked its wings in and shot like a bullet in their direction. "Left, Zayzal! Go left!" Leo directed urgently. 

Zayzal swerved to the left just in time as the bird crashed onto the road next to them, sending shards of crystal and concrete scattering in all directions. Leo and Jasmine took cover in the truck as tons of rock and debris peppered the car. 

"Stopping the car!" Zayzal announced, pulling over to the side of the road. He quickly killed the engine and jumped out, ready for battle. Since the birds were already locked in on their position, there was no point in trying to run. They may as well face them head-on.

Marcus and Sera followed suit with their weapons drawn. They formed a defensive circle around Zayzal as their eyes tracked the movements of the aerial predators.

Leo and Jasmine wanted to join the fray, but Zayzal held up a hand. "Stay back for now. Let us handle this."

They both saw the resolve in his eyes and hesitantly nodded before taking comfort in the bed of the truck, doing the best they could to hide from the birds. 

‘Although I hate it, this is for the best. Jasmine and I are in no condition to help right now. ‘ Leo thought as he glanced at the shivering girl next to him. He silently put an arm over her shoulder and helped keep her out of sight.

The crystal birds circled above, screeching and squawking as if to say, “How dare they face us?!”.

“I don’t think they like us very much,” Marcus said as his [Beast Tamer] talent passively worked to understand what the birds were saying.

“The feeling’s mutual.” Sera grinned, raising her axe in the air and giving them the middle finger.

"Any ideas on how to take these down?" Marcus asked, scanning the sky.

"Target them when they dive. It's our best shot," Zayzal suggested.

“A bit risky, don’t you think?” Sera asked, but contrary to her words, her smile widened.

“What? You want to fly up there and fight them in the air?” Zayzal quipped back, causing the two to roll their eyes. 

Meanwhile, Leo was starting to wonder what was wrong with them and why they were so relaxed. ‘...I think I joined a group of crazy people.’ He thought but remained hidden.

While they were talking, the birds swooped down one after another, trying to pick them off before taking flight and doing it all over again. However, Zayzal and his team dodged and weaved, looking for weaknesses.

Another one came barreling down, but this time they knew they couldn’t dodge as it was simply too fast. Sera raised her shield, deflected the swooping attack, and sent it crashing to the side. The impact sent a jarring shock through her arms, but she held her ground. "They're fast!"

Marcus rolled to avoid the razor-sharp talons that came his way when the bird tumbled on the ground. He threw a dagger, but it merely bounced off the bird's crystalline feathers.

Meanwhile, Zayzal was observing, always keeping an eye on them and looking for areas they subconsciously protected. He thrust his spear upward as one bird dived towards him. The tip grazed the creature’s side, leaving a small crack in its crystal armor. "They can be hurt, but it's not easy!"

The birds soon regrouped, circling higher. They seemed to be reassessing their strategy, giving the group a small break.

"Focus on their underbellies when they dive. They always protect that spot whenever an attack comes that way. My guess is that’s their weak point!" Zayzal called out.

The birds dived again, but this time they were more aggressive. Instead of smashing into the ground, they flared their wings just before they hit the concrete and hovered above them in an attempt to snatch them up with their talons. Zayzal, Sera, and Marcus coordinated their efforts, dodging and countering in unison.

Sera took a defensive stance, using her shield to block and distract the birds, allowing Zayzal and Marcus to strike.

Marcus launched a series of well-aimed daggers, managing to embed one into a bird's underbelly. The creature screeched in pain, veering off course. He then proceeded to chase after it with Attila’s sword.

Zayzal’s eyes lit up, and he lunged forward, striking the injured bird squarely in its vulnerable spot on its belly. The bird let out a final cry before crashing to the ground, shattering into countless crystal fragments.

"One down!" Marcus shouted with a wide smile.

The remaining two birds saw their companion die so easily and became more cautious. They kept their distance and decided to analyze the situation.

"We need to lure them in closer," Zayzal said, eyeing the circling predators.

Sera nodded, readying her shield. "I'll act as bait. Get ready to strike when they come for me."

As Sera positioned herself in the open, the two remaining crystal birds took the bait. They circled above, analyzing her stance, and then one of them dived, its talons aimed directly at her.

"Here it comes!" Sera braced herself.

Zayzal and Marcus flanked her on either side, weapons ready for a counterattack. As the bird descended, Sera deflected its talons with her shield, staggering slightly from the impact but managing to stay upright.

"Now!" Zayzal shouted.

Marcus lunged forward and slashed at the bird's exposed underbelly. The blade tore through its glassy flesh, leaving a deep gash. The bird screeched in pain and flapped its wings frantically, trying to regain altitude.

Zayzal jumped from the other side and thrust his spear towards the bird's wounded belly. With a powerful lunge, the spear pierced through, shattering part of the crystalline structure. The bird let out a final shriek and plummeted to the ground, exploding into thousands of tiny shards.

"Two down, one to go!" Marcus called out, panting slightly from the exertion.

The last bird circled warily, now much more hesitant after witnessing the fate of its companions. Its eyes darted around, wondering if it should just leave, but when it thought of how tasty the large prey below it might taste, it focused in on them. But, it still wasn’t willing to take the risk.

Glancing off in the distance while flapping its wings, it looked like it really wanted to go search for food somewhere else.

"We can't let it escape. It might bring back more," Zayzal said, watching the bird carefully.

Sera nodded in agreement. "We need to finish this quickly."

The bird seemed to sense their hostility and made its decision. With sharp eyes, it let out a series of shrill cries and dived down with a speed greater than before, its body whistling in the air.

Zayzal, Sera, and Marcus readied themselves, knowing this would be the decisive moment. The bird swooped in, targeting Marcus this time.

Marcus rolled out of the way, dodging the talons by a hair's breadth. As he came up, he slashed at the bird with the sword, leaving another gash on its underside.

Sera charged, swinging her axe with all her might. With a resounding crack, the impact of the hit sent a shudder through the bird's body.

Zayzal took advantage of this moment and swept his spear with all his strength. The spearhead pierced through the bird's crystalline feathers, embedding deep into its body before it ripped across its stomach, emptying its guts.

The bird let out a pained screech, flapping its wings in a futile attempt to escape. But it was too late. With a final convulsion, it fell to the ground, shattering into thousands of crystal shards.

The group stood panting, their adrenaline still coursing through their veins. However, they all had smiles on their faces. Meanwhile, Fenrir hopped out of the car and started gathering as many crystalline shards as he could and placing them in the car.

"Is everyone okay?" Zayzal asked, scanning his companions for injuries.

"We're fine," Sera replied, though she winced slightly as she sheathed her axe.

Marcus nodded, sheathing Attila's sword. "Yeah, just a few scratches."

Leo and Jasmine, who had been watching from the safety of the truck, climbed out, their expressions a mix of relief and awe. "You guys are amazing!" Leo exclaimed.

Zayzal gave a tired smile. "Just doing what we have to do to survive."

Sera leaned against the truck, catching her breath. "Let's get moving. We need to find a safe place to rest and figure out the best way out of Serbia."

Leo nodded and jumped back in the truck with Jasmine, realizing he may have gotten a bit ahead of himself.

The group gathered their belongings and climbed back into the truck. As Zayzal started the engine, he glanced at the rearview mirror, ensuring the road was clear of any more threats. He pulled the truck back onto the road, leaving behind the shattered remains of the crystal birds. 

As they drove off, unknowingly, more birds had heard their brethren’s cries and were speeding over to check out the situation and assist them. Unfortunately for them, by then, Zayzal and the rest will have been long gone.

1