Chapter 40: Double date
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Under the afternoon sun, the Carrot Creek boardwalk sprawled before Becky and her companions, a wooden pathway winding its way around the edges of a former farm pond. The pond, once a focal point of rural life, was now nestled amidst a light industrial complex, a transformation that had not diminished its tranquil charm entirely. Tall grasses swayed gently in the breeze, and the distant hum of machinery provided an unusual harmony to the natural surroundings.

Colin had proposed the location, although he openly acknowledged it was a feeble imitation of the esteemed Salmon Resort boardwalk. Its reed-lined banks, the vibrant mix of bird species, and the refreshing, pristine water were unparalleled there. Yet, he confessed, it was the only workable choice considering their limited time constraints.

Becky, undeterred, brimmed with energy, fueled by Sophia's contagious enthusiasm for adventure. With a lively spark in her eyes, she took charge, the boardwalk creaked beneath her steps as Colin hurried to match her pace.

While they led the way, Becky engaged Colin in conversation, eager to uncover the details of his life and passions.

"So, Colin, tell me more about yourself. What do you do when you're not guiding tourists like myself?"

"School was and is still a big part of my life." Colin started, "My mother made sure of that. She was strict, you know! I wasn't exactly a model student in junior high, but my mother kept pushing and pushing me. Eventually when I reached junior year, something clicked. I loved commerce and business studies. When I graduated, I ended up with an A grade average thanks to those subjects."

Becky smiled. "It's great that your mother's encouragement paid off."

"You are right, it's easy to see that now but me and my mom were fighting almost everyday. Plus there were a lot of other things going on at the time. It's a wonder I made it through."

Colin looked wistful before he turned his head towards Becky.

"What about you, Becky? What was school like for you?"

"Chemistry and biology was my thing in high school." she replied. "I've always wanted to become a vet ever since an elementary school field trip to a local farm. I remember asking a vet I met during the trip what I needed to do to become like her. Her words were etched in my memory: 'A grade average in senior year, chemistry, biology, and get used to waking up early and long days out in the cold!'"

"Sounds just like working at the deli." he quipped. Becky responded with an empathetic laugh.

"As much as I love working at the deli, it's just a pit stop on my journey to getting that degree," he confessed, his eyes gleaming with determination. "I've had tantalizing glimpses of fantastic opportunities in Minneapolis, but the thing is, when I come back to Millerton, it's like this wave of calm and fulfillment washes over me. I thrive in the laid-back, unhurried vibe of regional hospitality. And, well, I've got my reasons to stay close to home. My mom, she's got this unbreakable bond with Millerton."

Approaching a massive puddle that blocked their path, Colin took a quick run up, aiming to leap over it. However, his jump fell short, and he ended up splashing water everywhere. Becky swiftly sidestepped, narrowly escaping the splash zone, and burst into laughter at his clumsy attempt. Colin, his face flushed with embarrassment, apologized profusely. He extended his hand, his way of making up for his mishap, helping Becky cross a narrower section of the puddle. Although she could have easily cleared it herself, she graciously accepted his hand, appreciating the gesture.

As they continued their way around the pond, they could hear the laughter of playfulness from Dan and Sophia as they faced the same water obstacle. Returning to their conversation, Becky approached a more delicate topic.

"Colin," she began tentatively, "Is your family in Millerton? You mentioned wanting to be close to your mother."

Colin's voice carried a sense of openness as he spoke about his family. "My parents divorced when I was in elementary school," he said, his tone tinged with acceptance, "I haven't seen my father in quite a while. He moved to Toronto, Canada, where I heard he has a new family."

Becky nodded, her understanding gaze locking with Colin's. He pressed on, his voice unwavering.

"My older sister's there too, raising a baby boy on her own. I live with my mother here in Millerton. She works as a florist and does the occasional event planning. It's actually where I first got exposed to the hotel business."

Becky's attentive nature put Colin at ease, allowing him to open up further. "I have dreams of running a small hotel of my own someday," he confessed, a hint of excitement in his voice. "I know it won't be easy, juggling studies and work, but I believe it's the right step for me."

"That's incredible Colin, I really hope you get the chance one day." Becky smiled understandingly, her eyes reflecting a shared struggle. "It can be a real challenge," she admitted. "There are days when I come back from work totally exhausted and done with life. Then there's still a pile of assignments and revision that stands between me and a good night's sleep. Sometimes, I question my own sanity."

"It's comforting to hear I'm not the only one who is insane." They shared a smile, "Sometimes I feel like the odd one out. It's not just because of my obvious cultural difference, but my workmates at the deli, while generally friendly and supportive, don't always understand my focus on study."

"I can imagine how that might feel, but you've got a big dream and no one else is going to chase it for you."

Colin nodded in agreement, it felt good just to be understood for once. Curiosity sparked in Colin's eyes as he turned the conversation back towards Becky.

"I must admit, I'm incredibly impressed by your achievement of gaining admission to such a prestigious university. What's it like studying there?"

Becky's eyes danced with excitement as she began sharing the details of her veterinary studies in California. "The teachers are very experienced. They are not just wonderful veterinarians, but they are also excellent mentors. The focus on practical experience, getting hands on with animals has made a world of difference. It's a demanding curriculum with so much theory and class work to cover on top of the clinical work, but Colin, I would not trade it for anything in the world."

Her radiant smile and unwavering positivity fascinated Colin; he was utterly captivated, hanging on to every word she shared about her studies in California.

Their stroll around Carrot Creek concluded in just under an hour. Becky, with her relentless energy, had set a blistering pace, determined to pack as many activities as possible into their day.

As the group, now reassembled in Dan's pickup truck, ventured toward their next adventure. Becky's energetic spirit hadn't wavered; if anything, it burned brighter, a beacon guiding them toward their next adventure.

From the front seat next Dan, Sophia leaned over to share their next destination with the group. Becky had previously expressed a desire to go bowling, an activity Sophia had promised but now regretfully admitted was actually unavailable in Millerton. Still, Sophia assured them that she had a delightful alternative in mind.

As they drove to the next destination, Sophia was still wearing the remnants of a mischievous smile. She had used their trailing position during the walk to delve into the intricate details of Dan's history with Becky. Now, her eyes gleamed with curiosity and subtle amusement as she kept stealing glances at Becky in the rearview mirror.

They soon reached the Millerton Lawn Bowling Club, where a charming log cabin clubhouse greeted them, operating on an honesty system for play. Becky, a newcomer to lawn bowls, was enchanted by the straightforwardness of the setup, she happily put a five dollar note into a donation box which covered their fee.

The group divided into teams based on their hometown, with Dan and Becky on one side and Colin and Sophia on the other. Dan had assured Becky that he was an old hand at lawn bowls, Becky cheekily commenting that given his old age she wasn't the least surprised.

Their initial attempts at bowling were comically inept, the oddly weighted bowls proving to be quite the challenge. Laughter rang out as they fumbled through the game, with even the regular players nearby joining in on the amusement. Eventually, with some guidance from their more experienced neighbors on the greens, the four friends found their footing.

Becky and Dan, in particular, discovered their rhythm, triumphing with a resounding 24 to 2 victory over Sophia and Colin. The losing pair were engaged in a stream of continuous, playful banter. Their amicable disputes reverberated across the green. Colin, in a sequence of unintentional moves, succeeded in displacing several of Sophia's victorious bowls, unintentionally gifting their jubilant opponents an unexpected bonus.

As the twilight deepened, they wrapped up their game, their faces flushed with laughter and the satisfaction of a good time. Darkness had begun to settle upon Millerton as they made their way back to Dan's pickup truck. With their hearts light and spirits high, they arrived at their final stop, the Bison Brewery nestled at the end of a tree-lined cul-de-sac, not far from the deli where Dan and Colin worked.

 

0