Chapter 51: Tangled Wires
26 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kenzo lay in bed, a tangle of sheets pooled around his waist, his gaze fixed on the ceiling. A faint light filtered through the windows of his loft, illuminating the cracks and peeling paint of the walls around him. Dust motes danced lazily in the air, drifting through shafts of sunlight.

His thoughts meandered, recalling the events of the previous day. His talk with the Dusk Tillers' leader revealed little, and whatever plan Virgil had brewing, it was only going to end one way—lots of killing. It always came to that in the end.

That complicated things.

His gaze drifted over to the woman sleeping beside him.

Kasumi.

The morning light cast her in a soft glow, highlighting the contours of her athletic form beneath the thin sheet. Her hair, usually so precise and controlled, was a wild cascade across the pillow. Her body was nestled against his, the warmth radiating off of her skin. Her bare chest rose and fell steadily, and her breathing was slow and regular.

In sleep, her features softened. The hard edges of her daytime persona were replaced by a gentler version—a mask she only ever showed in the early hours of dawn. Kenzo's gaze followed the curve of her body, taking in every detail, every scar, and tattoo etched into her ivory skin.

Memories of the previous night flooded his mind, and a smile spread across his face. It was like this every time they ended up in bed together, a tangled mess of limbs and lust.

He reached for her, tracing the outline of her cheek with his calloused thumb. Her skin was smooth beneath his touch. His fingers brushed the edge of her lips, tracing their curve. Kasumi shifted in her sleep, unconsciously moving closer to him.

He allowed his hand to trail lower, along the line of her jaw, and down the column of her neck. His hand rested lightly on the rise of her collarbone, barely touching her skin.

She stirred, her eyes fluttering open. She gazed at him sleepily.

"Mmm, you're awake," Kasumi murmured, leaning into his touch. Her voice, husky with sleep, had a sultry note that sent a pleasant shiver running down his spine unrelated to the drug that bore its name.

"Just admiring the view." Kenzo leaned in, planting a soft kiss on her forehead. She pressed herself against him, her lips finding his. The kiss was languid at first, but deepened as he responded, his tongue teasing hers.

Kasumi pulled away after a while, her eyelids heavy.

She stretched languidly, the motion causing the sheets to slip, revealing the swell of her breasts and the contours of her toned body. She sank back into the pillows with a sigh, her leg sliding over his, trapping him between her thighs.

Kenzo swallowed hard, taking a moment to compose himself.

"Did you enjoy last night?" Kasumi purred, her fingers trailing absently over his chest. Her nails left marks on his skin, leaving faint red lines in their wake.

"Yeah." He smiled at her. "I enjoyed it. A lot."

"Good. I'm glad. It was fun." Kasumi hummed softly, snuggling closer to him. "Want to go again?"

His reply caught in his throat as he felt the press of her breasts against him. He cleared his throat and forced a chuckle. "Ahem, ah, maybe later, okay? I'm kind of tired after last night."

"That's a shame. I was hoping we could take a shower and have round two together." Kasumi pouted, tracing a line down his abdomen with a slender finger. "Wash your back. Soap your chest. Rub your—"

Kenzo silenced her with a kiss, his tongue plunging deep into her mouth. He teased her, drawing out a moan from her throat. After a few moments, he broke off. "You're dangerous. If you keep that up, I won't be able to resist."

She gave him a coy smile, tilting her head to the side. "Is that a bad thing?"

"For me, yeah. I'd like to enjoy this for longer. Let's take things slowly today. Is that okay?"

Kasumi nuzzled his neck, nodding her agreement. "Mhm, I don't mind. As long as you promise we'll pick this back up tonight."

"I promise," Kenzo replied, kissing her forehead once more. "Tonight. Definitely."

A comfortable silence settled between them as they basked in the peace of the early morning. The scent of jasmine from her skin filled the room, mixing with the musk of their rut from the night before. They lay there for a while, enjoying the quiet intimacy, their bodies intertwined.

After a time, Kasumi eventually pulled away, propping herself up on an elbow as she regarded him thoughtfully. "What's wrong, Kenzo? You're usually not this quiet unless you've got a lot on your mind."

"I've been doing some thinking, that's all. Nothing serious." Kenzo brushed a stray strand of hair away from her face, tucking it behind her ear. "Say, can I ask you a question?"

Kasumi tilted her head. "What is it?"

Now came the hard part.

He knew for a while now that Kasumi was the enigmatic leader of the Neon Vipers, Cobra. Yet she hadn't shared that with him. They both held secrets from each other, but this particular detail of hers was particularly troublesome. It wasn't because she was part of a gang, but rather, the fact that she was part of the gang that was distributing Shiver.

There was a certain code to this lifestyle. A sort of unwritten rule among gangsters and other unsavory types. Never get involved with something that would cause a large part of the populace harm. Drugs were a dirty business, but the ones that caused people to turn into savage beasts even worse.

Even now, despite his displeasure, Kenzo tolerated Kasumi and her group's activities in the slums. It wasn't in his nature to meddle with others' business. That wasn't the kind of life he wished to lead—but that was becoming increasingly difficult to abide by. Especially if she planned to keep selling Shiver.

He needed to tread carefully here, otherwise one of them could end up dead. It'd be better to bring it up indirectly. Getting a straight answer out of her was unlikely, but maybe he could coax one out of her.

"So, the slums are getting worse," Kenzo ventured with a casual tone. "There's a new drug circulating around these parts. Ever heard of Shiver?"

Kasumi's eyes narrowed slightly, a flicker of something dark passing through them. "Can't say I have. Is it causing a lot of trouble?"

"Yeah, but it's not just the usual kind. A lot of people start berserk rampages after they use it. One guy even tried to kill his girlfriend. And the worst thing about it is that they can't control themselves. They're just as violent as any animal. Not to mention the addiction rate is insane." Kenzo studied her reaction, noting how she stiffened the slightest bit upon hearing the specifics.

Definitely knows something.

"Seems like a stupid way to get high to me," Kasumi remarked, her tone nonchalant. She traced her finger over his chest idly, avoiding his gaze. "But it's just another symptom of the rot that's been eating away at this place for generations, right?"

Kenzo nodded, following her lead and keeping his demeanor relaxed. "Yeah, I agree. It's bad business, that's for sure. Too dangerous for us. A drug that induces mindless violence is just asking for trouble." He paused for a beat, measuring his next words. "Selling a drug like that would be foolish, especially when enough people catch wind of what it does. Unless the payoff is worth the potential risk, I suppose."

Kasumi blinked, a puzzled frown tugging at her lips. She locked eyes with him. "Huh? What are you getting at, Kenzo? I'm not sure if I follow."

This woman...is she trying to play dumb? Or is she testing me?

Kenzo smirked, deciding to roll the dice and push her further. "Shiver is making a lot of people paranoid and angry. A drug that causes people to act crazy puts everyone around them at risk. So, imagine a situation where that happens in the slums, a place where a good portion of the population already walks around armed, and gang violence is commonplace. Whoever brought that drug here is either incredibly stupid, or they've got an ulterior motive."

He stopped to let the implications sink in, gauging her expression closely.

Kasumi returned his stare with a cool, even gaze, her face impassive. "Interesting theory you've cooked up, Kenzo. What do you think it means? Any idea on who's responsible for spreading that stuff?"

She shifted, sitting up and pulling the sheets around her. The action was casual, yet deliberate—a barrier between them.

Kenzo met her gaze evenly, letting the silence stretch a beat longer before he answered. "Honestly? I have a guess or two, but I've also been trying to figure out why they would do such a thing. But those ideas only lead to more questions." He shrugged. "Guess I can't figure out why someone would go to all that trouble. A better question would be: who would benefit most from having a bunch of addicts committing acts of senseless violence?"

He paused, taking note of the subtle tension in Kasumi's shoulders, the guarded look in her eyes. She said nothing, waiting for him to continue.

Kenzo exhaled, shaking his head.

No sense in dragging this out further. The point's already made. Time to drop the hammer.

He leveled a hard stare at her, the warmth in his tone fading away. "Something tells me you already know the answer to that question, Kasumi. Every wire tells a tale. And yours is screaming at me right now, Cobra."

Her expression darkened instantly, the mood between them shifting in the blink of an eye. Kasumi's eyes hardened, her jaw set. "How long have you known, Kenzo?"

"Doesn't matter, does it?" Kenzo sighed, holding his palms up in a placating gesture. "I've known for a while. I didn't say anything because I assumed you had a good reason. I figured you would tell me sooner or later. Guess I overestimated you."

"If you know who I am, then you should understand why I couldn't tell you." Kasumi's tone turned harsh. Her eyes flashed dangerously, but she didn't move to attack him. "I have my own goals, and my methods aren't exactly savory. The less you know, the safer you are."

Kenzo chuckled, running his fingers through his hair as he sat upright, matching her pose. "Safe? Your concerns about my safety seem a little misplaced. I don't need your protection, Kasumi. I've managed fine all by myself for years. I'm just a musician who sometimes picks a fight with street thugs for fun."

He grinned wryly. "I'm a lot tougher than I look."

Kasumi shot him a pointed glare. "Fine, then. What would you have done if I told you? Would you try to stop me? Because I don't take kindly to people who try to get in my way."

The threat hung in the air for a long moment.

Kenzo met her steely gaze with a casual shrug and a grin. "Stop you? Why? I never cared if you were in a gang or not. You're still the same Kasumi I've grown fond of, just with a different name." He arched an eyebrow. "That, and the fact that you're a big fucking deal in the gang world doesn't faze me. Actually, the opposite. The more notorious, the better, as far as I'm concerned. Shows I've got good taste in women."

He ended his reply with a playful wink.

Kasumi stared at him in disbelief, her anger seeming to drain away in an instant. Her brows furrowed as she gaped at him, searching for the right words to respond to his unexpected response. "You...I mean, what?" she sputtered.

Kenzo burst out laughing. "Hahaha, you really thought I'd care that you're Cobra?" He gestured around them, encompassing the entire room. "We live in the slums, where every other person has some sort of affiliation with a gang or has a family member in one. The reason why you think I would care is because you've only lived here for a few years. You weren't born here like I was. So, I'll let you in on a secret."

He leaned forward, causing her to tense, her body poised to spring away as if expecting a sudden blow. He patted her on the shoulder and said, "The average Slumshine wouldn't bat an eye. We're all outlaws anyway. Living on the fringes of the Metropolis, surviving day to day. Having the infamous leader of the Neon Vipers in a relationship with me only makes me cooler—as long as your group doesn't step out of line, of course."

The confusion melted off her face, replaced by a smirk. "Tch. Cocky bastard."

"If by 'cocky,' you mean 'tells it like it is,' then yes, I am quite cocky." Kenzo's voice became serious as he regarded her, his expression grave. "But listen to me, Kasumi. Shiver. Is. Dangerous. It's going to cause problems in the slums, and you're smart enough to realize what will happen if things spiral out of control. If I were you, I'd pull the plug on that deal immediately. That shit is just plain bad business, and I'd hate to see you get burned by it."

She pondered his advice in silence.

When she finally spoke, her voice was cold and measured, but there was a hint of weariness in her tone. "Believe me, I know what it's like to walk a tightrope of death on a daily basis, Kenzo. I didn't become the leader of the Neon Vipers by playing nice with others. I took what I wanted and left a trail of corpses in my wake."

She closed her eyes, sighing softly. "Shiver is a necessary evil. It's the price we have to pay in order to keep our group afloat. Besides, you still haven't answered my original question. Are you planning to stand in my way, Kenzo?"

He raised an eyebrow. "What can I do? Write a diss track about it? Rap about how the Neon Vipers suck ass? I'm a musician, not a vigilante. I fight with songs, not guns. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem fighting your guys in a street brawl, but gang warfare isn't my style."

She watched him closely, her eyes glittering with a strange intensity. "Then we're on the same page. Just a musician and a gangster sharing a bed. Nothing else."

"As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing wrong with that." Kenzo draped an arm around her shoulder, pulling her close. He planted a gentle kiss on her temple. "I never once asked you to give up everything. Just to be honest with me. And for you to be careful with that shit."

Kasumi grunted in reply. She curled into him, resting her head on his chest, her body relaxing a bit.

The atmosphere between them changed, the tension evaporating away like mist. The room grew warm, and they found themselves falling into a companionable silence. There was nothing more to discuss.

Eventually, Kenzo decided to break the quiet. He kissed the top of Kasumi's head and said, "Anyway, since that's over with, how about that shower you mentioned earlier?"

She peered up at him through her lashes, her eyes dancing with amusement. "I thought you were tired, Kenzo? Where's all this energy coming from?"

Kenzo smirked at her, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "It's amazing what a revelation can do to a man. My body's wide awake now, ready to perform at peak capacity. Plus, we have the whole morning to ourselves, and I'd like to make the most of it before you leave."

"Well, then. Since you've taken such an interest in my well-being, I can't disappoint you. Allow me to demonstrate the Neon Viper's hospitality. The benefits are quite substantial, as you can imagine."

Kasumi tossed the sheets aside and stood, the rest of her naked form exposed to the morning light. She glanced back at him over her shoulder, her expression turning cool and collected. "But one last thing about Shiver, Kenzo. If I were you, I'd stay out of my business. There's a storm coming, and you don't want to get caught up in it. Just leave me to handle things on my end, okay? That way, neither of us has to worry about the other getting hurt."

Before Kenzo could muster a reply, she sauntered into the bathroom, a sway to her hips as she walked.

He let his gaze roam appreciatively over her body, taking in the curves of her hips, the muscles of her legs, and the gentle slope of her backside. She paused in the doorway, glancing over her shoulder. Their eyes met.

Without a word, she disappeared into the bathroom, leaving him alone in bed with his thoughts.

Inwardly, he frowned at her words. Kasumi might think she was being cryptic, but Kenzo understood her message perfectly.

Too late for that now. I'm already wrapped up in this bullshit, whether I like it or not. At least I have a better idea of what's happening now. I can work with that. Still, I hope you know what you're doing, Kasumi.

Minutes later, the sound of running water echoed through the loft, followed by Kasumi's sultry voice beckoning him to join her.

Kenzo snapped out of his musings and shook his head. He rose from the bed, leaving his worries behind as he ambled toward the bathroom.

Who knew when they'd share another morning like this together? Better to enjoy the moment for all it was worth.

Besides, he couldn't wait to collect on Kasumi's earlier offer.

In the distance, thunder rolled, and the sky rumbled with the promise of rain.

0