Chapter 54: Overworked
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Edith sighed, massaging the bridge of her nose as she watched the footage of Axion's meeting with the gang lieutenants. It had been a tense conversation, but the girl had managed to establish some kind of tentative truce. A win, albeit a small one.

As she reviewed the footage, she noted that Axion's gravikinesis appeared to be improving, at least in terms of its range and stability. Her TFSI reading stayed low, but her EEG readings spiked dramatically compared to her previous metrics. Maybe there was an inverse correlation between them?

If she used her gravikinesis to affect herself or objects within her vicinity, then her TFSI reading would increase while her EEG activity stayed relatively stable. However, the more she extended her reach to objects beyond her immediate sphere of influence, the lower her TFSI reading would be while her EEG activity increased.

Was the former tied to a conscious exertion of gravitons, and the latter associated with a subconscious generation of them? She still needed to dig deeper. Regardless, this was still promising progress. Now, they just needed to iron out some of the finer details...and expand Fii's arsenal of abilities.

She stepped back from the monitors, chewing on a thumbnail thoughtfully.

All that was well and good, but the real problem was the amount of Metahumans that resided within the slums.

Edith thought that the only Metahuman who resided in the slums had been Virgil.

There was no news or gossip of any roaming around causing trouble since she'd moved here over a year ago. Even experts from the Metropolis had assumed this was the case, thanks to the general lack of information.

But now...not only did she find out that a guy named Kenzo was one, but apparently, the sub-leaders of the four major gangs were all also Metahumans. Add Virgil into the mix, and that made six known Metas in the slums. Seven, if you counted Fii.

Apart from them, were there any others? How many lived hidden in the slums?

Wait—so... Virgil knew that she was clueless when she told him that Fii was the first metahuman born in the slums. Then why the hell didn't he correct her?

Rrrgh...that infuriatingly stubborn jerkface. He must've enjoyed that little moment of his...

It's as if he gets off on flaunting his knowledge while knowing more than he lets on. I'll strangle him for this, I swear.

Edith huffed and adjusted the hem of her coat, stomping around her lab in annoyance. The irony of her situation was not lost on her. Here she was, a researcher who'd dedicated her career to the pursuit of knowledge, and yet a simple gun-toting vigilante knew more than she did. The more she dwelt on this, the angrier she became.

Well, screw that. At least he still believed that Fii was a natural Metahuman, as opposed to a product of her genetic tampering. Right now, that was the only silver lining she could think of.

Helix's monotone voice drew her from her thoughts.

[Dr. Weiss, the analysis of the venom and Shiver samples is complete. As suspected, parts of their chemical compositions contain compounds that may increase the effectiveness of the metahuman serum by a small margin. However, without further research and testing, it is impossible to determine the actual efficacy of such a combination.]

"Hmm, is that so..." Edith mused, leaning against her desk and tapping her chin. "Give me a summary of the details."

Helix responded immediately.

[The venom sample contains a combination of alkaloids, peptides, and proteins in its neurotoxin. These components have the potential to increase the serum's absorption rate and cellular metabolism, potentially enhancing the transformation.]

Edith nodded, intrigued. "And the Shiver sample?"

[Similarly, the opioid compound found in the Shiver sample can improve the serum's delivery mechanism, increasing the likelihood of the genetic modifications taking root.]

"Interesting." Edith narrowed her eyes, pacing across the room. "But, combining these samples poses a risk of adverse reactions. Unless we isolate and synthesize the useful components individually, integrating the ingredients would require significant adjustments to the serum. Is there any other possibility?"

[Negative. The current data does not indicate the presence of similar compounds within the metahuman genome itself.]

Helix's sensors whirred quietly as it analyzed additional information.

[However, if we are able to analyze the Adrenomancer formula, we may gain more insight.]

"Are you referring to Salvatore's original formula?" Edith paused in her stride, crossing her arms as she considered Helix's proposal.

Ever since Virgil had brought up the topic of the Mad Chemist, she'd been unable to shake off the idea of uncovering the secret behind the Adrenomancer formula.

The implications of being able to reverse-engineer and adapt the drug for her experiments would be huge, but also dangerous. From what she'd researched, the formula contained highly unstable substances that required a complex synthesis. An unrefined mixture could potentially kill the user before any beneficial effects manifested.

Moreover, Salvatore guarded his secrets closely. Information about the specific ingredients, their quantities, and how the drug was delivered was not readily available.

On top of that, Salvatore was still active. He ran his operations from the Metropolis and owned several subsidiaries. He also had a network of black market dealers and chemists producing various drugs for distribution in the underworld. The chances of him noticing anyone attempting to replicate the Adrenomancer formula were fairly high.

But, if he was stirring up trouble in the slums, then maybe he would send more Adrenomancers to deal with the nuisance. Not to mention that Axion might come face-to-face with them. That in itself would provide an invaluable opportunity for her to acquire a sample of the drug.

"Helix, what do you suppose is the chance of Salvatore implementing a fail-safe on the Adrenomancers that get captured? I'm specifically referring to an automatic kill switch of some sort, an in-built toxin, perhaps. Or maybe a dead man's switch...something like that." Edith stopped pacing and gazed at the screen as she awaited Helix's reply.

[Probability is high. Based on the data I've analyzed from past reports, Salvatore appeared to have incorporated a "dead man's switch" within their genomes.]

The monitor shifted to display footage of Adrenomancers that had been captured by Superheroes in the past.

[These Adrenomancers suffered severe seizures before they expired, likely as a result of an agent being released within their system. Reasons for their deaths remain unclear; however, a 92% probability exists that they resulted from internal causes.]

Edith frowned at the footage, noting how each Adrenomancer experienced intense muscle convulsions before they perished.

"What about the harness that they wear? Does Salvatore install any fail-safes into the device itself? Has anything of the sort been mentioned in the reports?" She kept her eyes on the screen as she continued analyzing the video.

[Affirmative. There have been no reports of the Adrenomancer Harness being recovered intact. The mechanisms of the device, along with the chemicals used, are either destroyed or damaged beyond recognition. Furthermore, the harness cannot be removed by the user; failure to do so results in catastrophic repercussions to the subject.]

Helix's mechanical voice rang in the lab as the image switched to several images of Adrenomancers whose harnesses were detached, resulting in them bleeding profusely.

The devices were covered with numerous tubes and wires connected to the user. The metallic braces wrapped snugly around their bodies, tightly securing each component in place. The harness seemed to function like a pump or container, pumping a steady stream of chemicals into the body while monitoring the user's vital signs.

If they tried removing the harness or if the device malfunctioned, their bodies would experience massive cardiovascular failure and acute neurological dysfunction. All the drugs and chemicals integrated into the harness acted as a failsafe. Either the device stayed intact, or the user died.

With a sigh, Edith sat in front of the computer and propped her head on her elbows.

The implication was clear: obtaining an undamaged harness, and therefore the recipe for the Adrenomancer formula, was tantamount to a pipe dream.

Salvatore wouldn't willingly let his secret fall into enemy hands; the chances of salvaging an intact harness were slim to none. And the Adrenomancers weren't known to surrender. Most chose to self-destruct rather than be apprehended. The only way to get the information she desired was to capture Salvatore himself.

Unless...unless I can convince him to share the formula voluntarily...somehow. Hmmm, just need to figure out how. Perhaps I can barter for a trade, or maybe bribe him in some way. This requires more thought.

[Is there a directive for my next actions, Dr. Weiss?] Helix inquired, awaiting instruction.

The AI's question snapped Edith from her musings as she waved her hand dismissively. "No, carry on with monitoring Fii and helping me with research. You should probably update me with any developments with those four gang leaders' movements, too. I doubt they're just sitting at home doing nothing."

[The surveillance drones have been deployed according to protocol, and the monitoring algorithm is fully operational. My network is searching for possible matches on the four targets' descriptions. There are no relevant updates regarding their movements at this time, but I will notify you of any developments. Should I continue my work on the metahuman database, Dr. Weiss?]

"Yes, I'd appreciate that, Helix. Keep up the good work," Edith muttered, rubbing her temples as a headache started to creep in. It'd been a long day, and she was exhausted. All she wanted to do was crawl into bed and sleep.

With one last glance at the screens, she pushed herself up from her chair, gathering her tablet and notes as she shuffled towards her office door.

[Sleep well, Dr. Weiss] came the AI's reply as the lights in the lab dimmed, shutting off one by one.


The clinic's door swung open, revealing Edith in her usual lab coat, disheveled and tired. Fii instinctively straightened, waiting for the doctor to address her. However, her gaze lingered on the older woman, studying her as she closed the door.

Is she okay? She doesn't look well.

Fii wasn't sure, but Edith looked paler, more haggard, and more stressed than the day before—as though she'd slept less than she usually did, and if that was the case, Fii couldn't blame her. The incident in the slums had been stressful for Fii; she couldn't imagine how nerve-racking it'd been for Edith to watch and listen from afar.

"Hey Edith," she said softly, watching the older woman enter the examination room.

"Hey," Edith grumbled, wiping a sleeve across her forehead. She set the tablet down and collapsed into her swivel chair, rubbing her temples and closing her eyes.

Fii hopped off the hospital bed, padding over to her. "Can I get you some water? Coffee?" She rested a hand gently on Edith's shoulder, hesitating for a moment before squeezing gently. "You look like you could use some."

Edith leaned into the touch, a ghost of a smile gracing her lips as she opened her eyes and gave Fii a weak nod. "Actually, that sounds lovely. Thank you, Fii." She patted her arm gently, chuckling despite her exhaustion. "And yes, I'm all right, thank you. Just a bit...busy, is all. Had to juggle work and my other projects."

"Hm. Yeah, I bet," Fii murmured, raising an eyebrow.

That was an understatement.

She recalled the last time she'd seen Edith this frazzled: the day after Virgil had decided to bring Kenzo on board. Afterward, she'd been moodier, crankier, and more short-tempered. Today, she seemed like she could use a nap. An afternoon one, at that.

Fii shook her head, returning her attention to the matter at hand. "I'll go get you some coffee," she offered, turning towards the exit. "Be right back!"

"Mmm, please, and thank you. Two sugars and creamer, as usual."

Fii walked through the lobby to the adjacent lounge and filled a mug with steaming coffee from the kitchenette. She stirred in sugar and creamer and carefully carried the drink back to the exam room.

As she passed by the reception counter, she saw Sheri and a few of the nurses sitting in the main waiting area, talking amongst themselves. The clinic wasn't particularly busy today, so most patients had already left. Sheri and the others were probably staying a little longer to catch up before finishing their shifts.

Upon entering the exam room, she found the doctor slumped back in her seat, eyes closed and breathing deeply. She'd fallen asleep.

Fii glanced between Edith and the mug of coffee, not wanting to disturb her rest. So, she gingerly set the cup on the table and hovered a hand above the doctor's shoulder.

Should I wake her? Nah, best let her rest...

Carefully, Fii lifted Edith's sleeping form and carried her to the nearby hospital bed, lowering her gently onto the sheets. She arranged her comfortably, removing her shoes and slipping a pillow beneath her head. As she tucked the blanket over her, she hesitated, brushing a strand of hair out of her eyes and studying her face.

Despite the tired circles under her eyes, Edith looked almost peaceful as she slept.

Geez, how much is she pushing herself? Poor Edith...

It took Fii a moment to realize that she hadn't spent time with her recently; between training with Virgil and Kenzo, hanging out with Quinn, and patrolling as Axion, her schedule had been packed. Plus, Edith was constantly cooped up in the lab, buried in work. They hadn't eaten together or spoken at length for a couple of months now. The only interactions they had were during Fii's biweekly checkups and in passing.

They should talk more; Edith always seemed to enjoy her company, and Fii was more than happy to help out wherever she could.

For now, though, she needed to leave her alone and let her get her much-needed rest. Fii picked up the cup of coffee from the desk and set it down on the nightstand beside the bed. She then picked up a book from her bag and made herself comfortable, opening it to her bookmark.

Fii could read for hours, but it never ceased to amaze her how quickly she could go through books these days. It hadn't taken her long to finish the story about a prince trying to escape the curse placed upon him, but she'd enjoyed every minute of it. It'd reminded her a lot about what happened in the slums, as the prince had to overcome his dark fate by rising against his circumstances. Sometimes, stories were nice because they mirrored her own. She wasn't a fan of the bitter parts, but she always relished the sweetness that followed.

Speaking of books...she almost forgot about asking Edith for pointers on how to properly teach people to read and write. That'd be a good topic to chat about next time.

0