Chapter 12: Brink of Collapse, Part 1
101 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I decided to refer to Fii as Axion whenever she is in her superhero persona from now on.

One week later…

 

Axion's sneakers scuffed the pavement as she touched down, releasing the gravitational field around herself. She rolled forward to absorb the impact, the motion having become second nature. She'd been practicing a lot, and her landing maneuvers were becoming smoother.

The last week had gone by in a blur. She'd spent hours helping the folks in the slums with daily chores. She had found ways to use her power for basic things, like lifting heavy objects, fetching items from high places, and even moving around debris. Her abilities seemed to surprise everyone she encountered, but they also earned her a few good reactions.

It wasn't flashy, but people appreciated the assistance, and she enjoyed being able to finally do something useful with her power. She hadn't managed to do anything spectacular, but the small things added up, and the days flew by quickly. She'd become a jack-of-all-trades, but she still made time to chat and play with the children, answering their questions and laughing with them.

"There she is! It's that Super again, Axion!"

The calls echoed down the narrow streets, and she turned to wave.

Axion.

It wasn't the first name she picked for herself, but Edith insisted on the name for branding purposes—whatever that meant. She thought the other names that she came up with sounded so much better, but Edith was the expert. And if Edith believed that her future as a Super hinged on the name Axion, then that was the name she'd go with.

It still took getting used to, but she was beginning to embrace her superhero identity. Axion—It felt like a new pair of shoes, snug but unfamiliar.

Today, her patrol led her to the marketplace. Stalls lined up like old friends, their makeshift roofs of tattered cloth and metal sheets offering a patchy shade. Despite their rundown appearances, the market was buzzing with activity. The distant hum of a generator, the rhythmic beat of a drum, and the chatter of bartering voices rose above the din, all sounds she'd come to associate with home.

The smell of cooked meat wafted through the air, and her stomach let out a quiet rumble.

Maybe a snack before she continued her rounds wouldn't be such a bad idea.

"Hey, robot girl, over here!" One of the vendors, a woman selling roasted vegetables, waved to her. "Robot girl! Come try our specials! They're on sale today!"

The woman held up a stick of freshly grilled corn, the smell wafting in the air. "Hot and delicious, right off the grill! It's just ten Tinks! A steal, right?"

Axion suppressed a sigh. She wasn't a robot, but she knew the nickname would stick, especially as the locals began recognizing her techsuit. Instead, she opted for a friendly smile, the LED eyes on her visor narrowing in a cheery expression. "Hello, ma'am. How are you today?"

"Can't complain." The vendor shrugged. "Business has been slow lately, but you Supers coming around has helped a lot. Would you like to buy a cob? Freshly grilled! They're delicious!" She thrust the corn forward, pushing the vegetable into Axion's personal space. "Go on, take a bite!"

Axion chuckled. The woman's sales pitch was certainly enthusiastic. "I suppose I could eat something, now that you mention it." She could use the calories after all the physical work she'd been doing.

"Great! Here, take it for three Tinks. Just because you're a Super." The woman grinned as she extended her hand, beckoning for payment.

Axion's LED eyes quirked, the expression mimicking a raised eyebrow. "Isn't that…just your normal price?" She asked, but the woman only gave her an unabashed grin.

She relented, digging out a few tin coins and dropping them into the woman's open palm. "Thanks."

"You're welcome! Come again!" the woman replied, still wearing a bright smile. "Your helmet is so cool, by the way! You look like you have robot head."

"Right..." Axion sighed inwardly, biting back the urge to correct the woman. Instead, she offered the vendor a polite nod, her mask's eyes blinking happily, before she moved to continue her patrol. "Have a good day!"

She walked further into the market, passing by a variety of stalls and shops.

"Mmm...corn. My favorite. I mean, Edith's favorite. That's why I bought it." Axion mumbled under her breath. She'd hoped nobody would be able to make out what she was saying.

She continued walking through the market, the crowd parting naturally before her. It seemed word had gotten out that a new Super had arrived in the slums, and the people had taken to calling her "Robot Girl" or "Axion" (or both).

She scanned the stalls as she walked, her gaze darting over the colorful array of fruits, vegetables, meats, and other goods on display. Vendors called out, advertising their wares, and customers haggled over prices, the clamor of the crowd rising and falling in a steady cacophony.

Axion weaved through the throng, keeping an eye out for anything unusual or suspicious. So far, everything seemed peaceful.

A pair of ClipRunners dashed past her, almost knocking her over. One of the kids apologized while the other flipped her the bird before running away, and Axion's eyes narrowed in a disapproving stare.

"Be careful! I'm a superhero, you know," she chided, but the children didn't heed her warning. "Kids," she muttered under her breath as they disappeared into the crowd.

She couldn't really blame them too much for rushing off, though. They were doing their jobs as ClipRunners, after all. Delivering messages and small packages around the slums for an extra meal or a handful of Tink was their daily hustle. She did a bit of that a couple of years ago before picking up other odd jobs.

A tune from a nearby radio caught her ear, and she found herself humming along. It was an old song, one her mom used to sing when she was little. The memory tugged at her heart, and she shook her head, pushing it away.

Not now. Focus.

"Hey, Miss Superhero, I like your suit! Can you lift this cart for me?" A gruff voice called out to Axion. "Hey, you listening?"

She turned to see a burly man in a stained apron and gloves, sweating from the heat of a food stall's propane-powered stove. Several cuts of raw meat sizzled on the grill, and the man pointed to a handcart overloaded with bags of various ingredients. "C'mere and lift that for me, eh? Be a doll, yeah?" He jerked a thumb in the direction of the cart. "Prolly you can lift it easy-peasy."

Axion studied the cart for a moment before approaching. "Why? Doesn't this thing have wheels?" she asked, pointing at the wheels. "It should be easier to roll than carry. No?"

The man grunted, stabbing at a strip of meat. "They flat, you dolt. Dunno when I can get 'em fixed or refloated." He jammed his thumb against his chest, adding, "I'm busy cooking, alright? Just move it and make some space for me. That's all you gotta do."

She was tempted to tell the man where to shove his attitude, but she remembered her mission—to help as many people as possible. "Where do you want the cart?"

"Over there," the man grumbled, jerking his chin over his shoulder. "Move it, please, and thanks."

She stared at the man's sweat-stained back before rolling her eyes and turning her attention back to the handcart. After activating her gravity field, she pulled the cart to where the man indicated, right next to his stall.

The man didn't bother to thank her once she finished her task, and she could only glower at the lack of acknowledgment before returning to her patrol.

After a while, she found herself nearing the outskirts of the market. The noise and activity of the crowd began to fade as the rows of stalls gave way to narrow alleys lined with shacks and old buildings. The pavement was cracked and potholed, garbage and debris lay scattered across the ground, and graffiti-covered walls rose on either side.

This was where the people of the slums lived, scraping by as best they could.

As she rounded a corner, a child darted in front of her, nearly tripping her. Axion instinctively reached out with her power, lightening her own gravity to avoid a collision. The sensation was like floating, a brief moment of weightlessness before she grounded herself again. The child, oblivious, continued on, chasing after a makeshift ball.

She blinked, her mask mimicking the action.

That was odd. She hadn't meant to use her power, but she had reacted on instinct. Was she getting better at controlling her power?

She tucked the stray thought away, resuming her stroll.

"Robot Girl! Hey, Robot Girl!"

She cringed inwardly as the chorus of children's voices reached her ears. She glanced over her shoulder and spotted the ragtag group of street urchins rushing after her. She turned, preparing herself for another onslaught of requests.

The children were hollering at the top of their lungs, their voices deafening. "Can you fly? Do you have a laser beam? Can you do a flip?" They crowded around her, tugging at her clothes, jostling each other for attention. "Can you float over the river? Can you throw us into the air?"

The ground beneath her feet trembled. It started as a faint vibration, like the distant hum of an old engine. But within moments, it grew into a violent shake, causing the very foundations of the slums to shudder. The children immediately scattered, scrambling to hide among the surrounding stalls and shacks.

The familiar sounds of the marketplace—children's laughter, vendors hawking their wares, the distant hum of a radio—were replaced by panicked cries and frightened shouts.

"Earthquake!" someone shouted.

Stalls toppled, spilling their goods onto the dirt. Vendors abandoned their merchandise, running for cover.

The vibrations intensified, and the shacks and buildings around them swayed, creaking and groaning under the pressure.

Then, as suddenly as the tremors had started, they stopped. All was still.

She exhaled slowly, releasing the breath she'd been holding.

A series of rapid, sharp cracks echoed through the marketplace, drawing the attention of the gathered crowd.

She tensed. What now?

She looked toward the direction of the noise, and her LED eyes widened in alarm. "Wha—oh no..."

An eight-story dilapidated building at the edge of the square, already showing signs of wear and tear, now had visible fractures snaking up its walls. A fine cloud of dust began to rise from its base, followed by the faint sound of cracking, like the splintering of wood. The windows on the lower floors shattered outward, sending shards of glass spraying into the square.

The building's walls started to bulge outward, the bricks and mortar straining against the force of gravity. A series of rapid, sharp cracks echoed through the marketplace, each one louder than the last.

The crowd panicked, and screams filled the air as people began to flee, stampeding over each other in their haste. "Get back! Get back!" A voice bellowed. "It's gonna collapse! Move!"

People in the vicinity scrambled to safety, scattering in all directions. Vendors abandoned their stalls, grabbing whatever they could carry and fleeing from the danger zone. Parents scooped up their children, lifting them into their arms or carrying them on their backs.

Axion's heart raced. She could see a few children near the building, staring up at the ominous sight. They looked lost, confused, and terrified.

Oh crap! Oh crap!

Without hesitation, she sprinted towards them, her gravikinesis lightening her steps, making her feel as if she was gliding over the ground.

As she neared the building, the situation worsened. The upper floors of the structure began to sag, leaning precariously over the street below. The sounds of shattering glass filled the air as windows broke under the strain, raining shards onto the ground below.

Reaching the children, she scooped up the nearest one, a young girl with wide, terrified eyes. "Hold on!" she shouted, holding the girl tightly against her chest. She tapped into her power, focusing on reducing her body's weight, allowing herself to lighten her body and the child she was carrying.

She dashed to the other two children, grabbing the closest boy, hoisting him onto her shoulders. She focused on the third, a younger boy, who clutched the hem of her jacket.

The vibrations of the building's imminent collapse reached through the soles of her shoes.

Oh, no. Not good. Not good at all!

She printed away from the building as fast as she could with the children in tow. All around her, people screamed and fled for their lives. The sounds of the building's groaning intensified, growing louder as the walls buckled under the strain.

After reaching a safe distance, she skidded to a halt, her feet slipping on the rubble beneath her. She set the children down, but her relief was short-lived as one of the boys tugged at her arm. "Help! My mom's inside!"

She whipped her head towards the boy, her LED eyes widening. "What?!"

"My mom's still inside!" The boy cried, pointing frantically at the building.

"On it!" She bolted back toward the collapsing building. "Stay put! I'm going to get her!" she yelled over her shoulder.

How many people were inside? How much time did they have left?

Panic rose in her mind. What could she do?

The remaining floors groaned ominously, the creaking of the metal support beams growing more urgent. The foundation of the building trembled, the rumbling rising to a crescendo as the upper levels threatened to come crashing down.

She gritted her teeth, summoning her courage.

It's now or never. I have to do something.

She rushed through the open entrance of the building. Inside, people shouted and pushed against each other to get out. A large chunk of the ceiling began to give way, threatening to crush a group of people below.

She leaped up to intercept the falling debris, extending her gravity field to lower its weight as she caught the concrete slab with both hands.

The falling rubble slowed as both descended, allowing the trapped individuals to scramble to safety just in time. She landed, the impact softened by the combination of her techsuit and her powers, before releasing the fallen concrete. As soon as she let go, its weight returned to normal, and the slab crashed to the floor.

Panting, she shook out her hands, and then surveyed the scene. Most people were near the exits, but several figures, their faces obscured by the dust, lingered near the back—chunks of debris from the ceiling falling in front of them.

"Crap!" Axion rushed over, extended her hands, and focused, pushing herself to increase her range, and the slabs of falling rubble slowed. People scrambled under them and escaped before she lowered the slabs to the floor with a loud bang.

"You! Out!" Axion yelled to those who remained, gesturing for them to flee the building. "Now! Everyone, outside, move!"

The stragglers wasted no time obeying her commands and headed out through the broken window or the shattered doorway. She held off the rest of the debris that was now slowly falling from the ceiling, waiting for the last person on the floor to leave the area.

From the second level, the sounds of panic rose and drew her attention. She zipped to the staircase and hurried to the higher floors, jumping between chunks of debris and dodging falling slabs.

Axion dashed up the stairwell, reducing her weight once more, and hurried to the higher floors, jumping between chunks of debris and dodging falling slabs. She checked each level, spotting only a few stragglers as she ascended.

As people streamed out, she continued her efforts, constantly adjusting her gravity field to adapt to the shifting debris. Every so often, a large chunk of masonry would break free, and she would rush to intercept it, using her powers to divert its trajectory or slow its fall.

She burst through the door on the fourth floor, racing up the stairs and through the hallway to the apartment units.

"Anyone here?! Hello!?" she called out, but her pleas fell on deaf ears.

She scanned the area but found nothing. It seemed to be empty, save for the falling pieces of plaster and metal. A section of the wall had collapsed, exposing the building's internal structure, and a large crack snaked up the ceiling, growing wider by the second.

"Is anyone there?" she tried again. Silence. Cautiously, she entered one of the apartments and glanced around, but the only movement was the occasional shift of the flooring beneath her feet. She quickly exited the unit and ran to the others, but her search yielded the same result.

Four more floors to go.

Axion proceeded to the next floor and repeated her routine: entering each apartment unit, scanning it for people, and calling out to anyone who might be hiding. With every floor she cleared, her sense of urgency grew, but so did her confidence.

More sections began to collapse, and she barely avoided being crushed by the debris. She ducked and dodged through the cascading rubble, while the smaller debris orbited her body, repelled by the gravity field she projected.

Her instincts screamed for her to get out, to save herself.

No! There are still people in here! I can't give up now. I can't!

She pressed on, reaching the sixth floor, desperately searching for stragglers. Time seemed to slow as her eyes darted around, scanning for movement amidst the chaos.

Finally, her eyes locked on a figure—a woman, curled in the fetal position, partially hidden by the wreckage. Her eyes were closed, and her face was marred by cuts and bruises. A shelf had collapsed over her lower body, trapping her in place.

"I got you!" she exclaimed. She scrambled towards the injured woman, carefully lifting the shelf off of her, setting the debris aside. "Ma'am, can you hear me? Ma'am!"

The woman didn't stir, her eyes remaining closed. She was bleeding heavily from a nasty gash on her forehead.

Axion pulled the unconscious woman out of the wreckage, sweeping her into her arms.

She scanned the room for other people.

No one left, hopefully. Time to get out.

Cradling the wounded woman, she lowered her gravity field as much as she dared for both of them.

Fastest exit.

Window.

There was one on the other side of the room. She took a step toward it, and—

The floor gave way from under her feet, and the ceiling lurched downward, bringing with it an avalanche of debris.

"Shi—"


9