Chapter 5. Gravesite
3 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Follow me!"

The nun led me through a bridge over a sewer, all cheerful, even in this gloomy weather.

I followed her, carrying all the things she gave me.

After I accepted the job, she gave me some new clothes and some new stuff. Now I had a new shirt, with a thick black coat and a hat that had a wide brim, stopping the rain from falling into my face. She also gave me some bed sheets, a bag, some clothes, a lantern, and an iron shovel.

What I didn't understand was why she was giving me the clothes and the bedding.

Was I not supposed to live in the church?

"Here we are!"

She opened her arm as she looked at the landscape before her. I peeked over her shoulder.

The place was… incredibly creepy to say the least.

Gravestones everywhere with a few mausoleums peeking out. Even if the place wasn't too big, it still gave me the creeps.

"Your task will be to dig new graves and also to dig out the old ones, freeing up space."

"Why do I have to dig out old bodies?"

"People need to pay burial fees in the city. For those who can't or do not want to pay for their loved ones, we will dig them out and burn their bodies. Which will also be your job."

I blinked several times.

Do people have to pay for burying the dead?

In the countryside, some graves were there for centuries, no way farmers paid for that long.

With just a glance I could tell that some of the crips were that or even older.

City folk are seriously rich!

The nun led me through the graveyard where there was a shack there.

It looked quite out of place.

It was small, made from stone with a wooden roof from where a chimney stood out.

"And this is… where you are staying."

After some time she opened the door and showed me.

The inside was modest, to say the least. There was a bed, a closet, and a table.

There was also a fireplace, with a cauldron placed in it.

"This is where you will be living. We won't provide meals but we will pay you 20 silver tra a week."

The city functions with tra least the common areas. An average man would earn around a gold tra per year, with 100 silver tra making a gold tra, and 10 copper tra a silver. These days not many use the currency's real name and simply use gold, silver, and copper. All things considered, I could live modestly with just that much.

"This is your first day, so I recommend walking around to get to the land. After that, we will start working. If you do not reach a certain… work ethic, I am sorry, but we will need you to leave."

"I understand. Then will do as you said."

The nun smiled and left. I sat down on the bed and looked before me.

"What was it called again? Kill window? No, it was… skill window."

As I said the words the green square showed up before me.

[

Name: Mathew

Race: Human (Hyuman)

Age: 24

Class: Awakened.

Rank: F-

Skills: [Enhanced Strength], [Manna Pathway], [Eyes of the Deceased], [Will of Life]

]

"So I wasn't hallucinating. This is real. Do all the knights have the same thing as I have?"

I tried to touch the thing, but my hands went through it.

"...Maybe not that real."

I stood up and walked to the door opening.

"How did it happen?"

I closed my eyes and tried to remember what happened to me down the servers. The feeling of fear, my escape from death, my victory over death. Then I opened my eyes.

[Congratulation]

[User managed to use a skill without assistance]

Aside from the green rectangles, everything was gray. I was back seeing the gray word. In the open door where I stood I saw an army of shadows, all looking at me.

"...You."

I point at the one in front of me.

"Do you understand what I am saying?"

The ghost tired its head.

"...if you understand me, nod."

It took a while but it nodded.

"Alright. Can I ask you to disperse a little? Like letting me see what is happening around me." i was doing a shushing notion towards them.

They do not react, they just keep looking at me.

"...this will become annoying."

I closed the door and started packing my stuff out. Once I was done, I grabbed the shovel and walked out, not making eye contact with the ghosts.

I slowly started walking through the graveyard, getting my bearings.

At first glance, I could tell that this place was badly kept. The stones were dirty with grass and weeds growing uncontrollably.

As I kept walking, I noticed that the ghosts following me started gathering around a particular mausoleum.

"Hmmm?"

Curious, I walked to the building. It was big, made from marble, with carvings of angels on it. As I looked at its doors I could see some words carved on it.

"...Still can't read."

I dusted off the writing from the dirt it had on it and as I stepped back, I looked at the carvings.

"Nop. not better."

When I was about to step away, the green rectangle appeared over the text showing the white letters over it.

[

In shadows deep, where spirits dwell,

Give me your hand, both flesh and soul's spell.

Through life's journey, hand in hand we tread,

Through death's embrace, our spirits spread.

In moments of grief, extend your hand,

In moments of grace, let strength expand.

Seeking relief, our hands entwine,

In faith and trust, our souls align.

]

"...This is the creepiest text ever."

I turned around and walked away. Whatever made the ghost gather around it, was either dangerous or troublesome and I had enough problems for now.

As I walked, I reached the stone walls that surrounded the place. The sounds of people walking and carts moving could be heard from the other side. Stopped there and looked at the gray sky, rain falling on my face.

"Well then, it is now time to figure out, what am I going to do now?"

*****

A group of heavily armored people have gathered before the entrance of a cave.

As the rain poured down, the raindrops didn't reach them, as an invisible barrier was set up over their heads, keeping them dry.

They looked happy and chipper, as they talked with each other, the sound of laughter could be heard sometimes.

All of them had red lightning either painted on their armor or wore capes that had the lightning painted on them.

Not far away from the group of armed guards was standing next to a squirming portal of blue energy, with pieces of glass-like fragments floating around it, looking corporal and non-corporal at the same time.

The portal twitched and from it a tall man wearing black armor that was decorated with red lightning stepped out, carrying a heavy battle ax.

When the group saw this they quickly stopped talking and formed into a tight military rank.

The tall man looked at them with strict eyes before he started talking.

"I am sure you all know this but for those of you who have short-term amnesia, today's subjugation target will be the monsters of the Witch Tunnels. This is a highly difficult area, and the gate opened right in front of it! If we don't clean up this place, in three days, a dungeon break will occur and as members of the Thunderbolts we can not allow it!"

In the middle of his sentence, he hit his breastplate, causing a rumbling noise.

The people there, the hunters of the Thunderbolt guild cheered, hitting their weapons together.

"So let's do what we are paid for! We are moving out! Tankers to the front with me! Casters and archers to the back! Let's burn some monsters!"

The group cheered and quickly formed a tight group, and marched inside.

The place was dark and cramped, with the sound of metal hitting itself echoing through the walls.

And the-

"ARRRGHHH!"

From the darkness of the caves, monstrous screams could be heard as a group of monsters started running toward them, claws and crude extended.

"Charge!"

Led by the bald man, the hunters charged into the group of monsters without fear, their roar of battle echoing in the tunnels.

As the voices of carnage got louder and louder deep in the cave system, where one might say the heart was, was a big chamber.

Its walls were filled with arcane symbols and images that seemed to glow in a pale red light.

Filling this chamber were a group of people, all wearing black robes and some having witch hats on.

One, holding a staff with a human skull on top of it, slowly looked at his fellow people, his movement looking sluggish and old.

"So this is it. We were so close to reaching the promised lands only for us to be killed. The gods are truly cruel, not allowing us to have a good life."

The leader sighed and tapped his staff.

"The young ones and those of you who still have hope for the future, leave now through the secret tunnels. I and the older members will keep the knights occupied."

"Great pri-"

One of the cultists wanted to speak, but he was shut down by the glance of the figure.

"This is not a matter for discussion. This religion, the church of Silence, needs to survive and spread the truth. If everyone dies here, the fallen gods will win, continuing their unjust reign over his world."

The priest took a few steps forward, facing one of the tunnel entrances from where the echoes of the fight could be heard.

"We must be brave. We must be ready. Now go! And may the silence accompany you on your journey."

Some of the members nodded and started running through the tunnel systems, leaving only a handful of cultists behind.

"Now then, my brothers. Let us embrace the silence that is awaiting us! For the world!"

*****

Coming out from one of the tunnels of the mountain range, a slender cultist was running out, their breathing was haggard and swallowed as if they ran a marathon.

As they exited the cave, they took a deep breath, letting the rain hit their face and the wind blowing at them.

"Somehow made it out."

They took a few steps, and due to exhaustion and the rain, they slipped over a rock.

As they fell, a golden ring fell off their slender finger, rolling a few inches away from them.

Immediately, when the ring left their person, several red rectangles appeared around them, displaying black letters.

[You have performed magic without a class]

[You have been marked as a heretic]

[You have performed magic without a class]

[You have performed magic without a class]

[You have performed magic without a class]

[You have performed magic without a class]

[You have performed magic without a class]

[You have performed magic wit-]

"Quiet!"

The figure ran to the ring and put it back on, making the rectangles disappear.

"Blessed be the silence."

After catching her breath, she pulled out a piece of carved wood and threw it on the ground.

When the object was inches from the ground, it exploded into a cloud of smoke, and from it an old broom appeared, floating above the ground.

Not wasting time, the figure sat on the magical device and flew away into the sky, disappearing into the rain.

*****

At an unknown place, in the darkness, in a room filled with objects from different ages, some even covered by drapes, a light shone.

It was a green light that seemed to be alive, bending and curling around objects.

Slowly, from this light, a sound could be heard.

A slow ticking.

1