12. General Assembly
91 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

SLAP

A sharp sound, followed by an intense ringing in her ears. Karla can feel her head rattled, her vision blurred. She blinks once, trying to process what is happening to her. Karla can remember that she was playing a chess game, and then….

And then what? Karla can’t remember what happened next.

“K!@!@@!”

Karla can hear someone screaming. She can barely hear it, as if she were underwater.

SLAP

There was that sharp sound of flesh being struck again. This time, there is no pain to be felt. What Karla felt instead was a heavy force pulling her by the arm. Her world spin, a warm softness embraced her body after. Only then did she wakes up from her daze.

“Karla! Are you alright?” Sarah said, tears pooling in her eyes.

“What…What happened?”

She is now sitting on the floor. Karla touched her cheek, it is warm and swollen. The room is empty, excluding three individuals... Actually, four individuals. Karla can see Anna’s figure crumpled on the floor, her long hair scattering everywhere.

“Anna!”

Karla stood up and hurried to her side. Parting her hair, Karla saw a distinct red mark on Anne’s face. Karla took a quick breath, her finger went to Anna’s neck. Karla sighs in relief after a while.

“Ugh…I’m okay Karla,” Anna murmured. But her eyes remained closed.

“What did you do?!” Karla shouted at her father.

The emperor went back to his seat before answering. He met Karla's glare with a curious glance.

“You’re finally awake.” He said, crossing his legs.

“What?!” It was not the answer she expect. She never felt this angry in her entire life.

“She tried to protect you, a valiant effort. If I had known a sudden jerk and fall will do the trick, I would’ve done that instead.”

“What are you talking about?!” Karla's tone reached a shrill quality. The emperor seemed unaffected by her prolonged rudeness.

 “What’s the last thing you remember?”

“I…huh?” Karla held her head. “I was losing the match… and then…”

“And then you used your second ability. No, it’s more accurate to say you let it consume you.”

“How…” Karla was about to ask how he know. However, she recalled the emperor reading the tablet during her agony while she was awakened.

“Chess is trivial if you use that ability. But you have to be careful with it. If you keep using it like that, you will lose your sense of self. When that happens, even your third ability can’t do anything about it”

"There is more?" Karla says, flabbergasted. There’s another ability she didn’t know?

“Looks like you don’t remember. I suppose gaining three at once must be agonizing to experience”

Karla can feel a tugging at her pants. Anna is trying to stand up. Karla went down on her knees to help. She didn’t care that the emperor was watching right now. With Sarah’s help, Karla brought Anna back to her feet. Both sisters tried to beg forgiveness from the emperor, but Karla stopped them.

“...You struck my maid” Karla glared at her father.

“She had the audacity to grab me. Be grateful I struck her with a hand instead of a sword”

‘Anna…’ Tears are forming in Karla’s eyes. To think she attacked the emperor with no hesitation. Sarah too, the both of them willing to go against imperial authority to protect her.

‘No, I need to calm down’ Karla closed her eyes, holding back tears.

Karla slowly open her eyes, any emotion disappears from it. She bent down to pick up her fallen chair, then calmly sit on it. She took a moment to collect her thoughts before speaking.

“... I assume that I’ve won the game?” Karla said, her tone calm.

“You won against peter and drawn against me. In a flashy fashion as well, your brothers are now aware you possessed some kind of ability”

“I don’t know there is such a side effect to my ability…”

Karla’s calm exterior belies the turmoil within her as she berates herself for making a colossal mistake. Karla's abilities are her daggers hidden in her sleeves. Now, one dagger had slipped out and clanked loudly on the floor. Even though she had another dagger, she showed that she was armed with one. They are on guard now. It would be hard to surprise her brothers with hidden talents.

“With that said, what kind of ability is this?” Karla asked the emperor.

“Don’t ask me about your abilities. I can’t answer that right now.”

“Why not?”

“We don’t have time. I’m sure you realize all of your abilities are extremely subtle and convoluted. It’s not something that can be explained in… three minutes,” the emperor said, with a glance at a clock on the wall.

“Why are you doing this?” Karla immediately asked.

“Because my son Lucius is a spineless coward. You are a spare piece, a Plan B, so to speak”

“I’m a Plan B? but I’m not strong like Lucius”

“Exactly, that’s what makes you a better fit. Lucius’ powers allow him to maintain his ideals easily. Ironically, it makes him weak.”

Karla is reeling from the cynical way the emperor spoke. Most people always say something positive about Lucius. The maids would gossip about how handsome and stoic he was. Ministers say how competent and fair he is. Commanders would rant about his strength and ability. Those who have something negative to say did so out of envy and fear of his ability. He is both feared and loved by his subjects. How is the emperor still unsatisfied with an heir like that?

“Are you implying that I should take the throne?” Karla said, she grip her palm tightly.

“If Lucius keeps disappointing me, then you will have to take the throne”

The emperor is serious. Karla can see it from his eyes. Karla stood up, her chair scratching the floor.

“What is this madness? I can’t possibly…”

Knock, knock, knock.

“Time. Let’s continue this later.” The emperor stood up from his chair and answer the door.

“What about Anna?” Karla said. Anna seems okay for now, but her face isn’t looking good.

“Let that other maid sort it out,” said the emperor in a dismissive tone.

Karla looked back toward Sarah and Anna. They both nodded with an encouraging smile. Karla clasp her hand in apology before following the emperor out of the room. A whole entourage of people is waiting for them outside.

Sound of footsteps echoed, almost drowning out the sound of Karla’s rapid heartbeat. Karla clutches her tie, her expression grim. Never in her wildest dreams did Karla imagine her father had such high hopes for her. The thought of ascending to the throne never once ran through her mind, not even as a child full of dreams. Karla can only see trouble and hardship if she were to take on that role.

‘It’s a good thing I was wise enough to plan an escape,’ Karla thought, thanking her 8-year-old self from two years ago

‘In a way, Klaus’ death might have been a blessing to me’ Karla smiled wryly.

They arrived at a grand and carved wooden door. Karla can see her brothers still waiting for them. They stare at Karla with piercing gazes. Karla can see suspicion, curiosity and jealousy directed at her.

She sighed, At least they didn’t know she had three abilities. Karla can only hope they didn’t take this the wrong way. The last thing she wanted was for them to think of her as a threat.

“Are you okay, sister?” Lucius asked. Karla can see that his concern is genuine.

“I’m fine. It was just a headache,” Karla assure him with a grin.

Unlike the emperor, Karla always had a favorable impression of Lucius. He’s the only one in the family who treats her with kindness. Distant kindness, sure. The same kind he offered to his servants. But Karla still appreciates it.

“A side effect of your abilities, perhaps?” Peter said mockingly.

Karla stared at him coldly. She knew Peter had no abilities. He only got three gifts at his awakening ceremony. The jealousy she saw must’ve come from him. If he wants them so bad then why did the gods decide not to give him any? Why did they give Karla three?. Karla would gladly give Peter her abilities if she can. So far, it only brought her more problems than their worth.

“Yes, it is a side effect of my ability,” Karla said.

She had enough of his mocking during that chess game. Karla can see brief flashes of yellow. Her brothers are taken by surprise. Karla smiled. She knew her brothers does not expect her to be so straightforward. Her smile did not last long. An explosion of yellow filled her vision. It was blinding to her eyes. Karla is forced to look downwards away from the blinding lights. A peek to the side revealed the source of yellow lights. It was the servants and entourage around them. That is how Karla learned that the colors she saw can be detrimental to her sight.

‘Damn, what is it with this crappy ability?’ She thought while rubbing her eyes.

 “Karla?” Asked Lucius.

“I’m fine, like I said, a side effect of my ability” Karla don’t give a damn anymore, she would be out of the country in a couple days.

The world around them lit up in a symphony of colors. Karla tried to ignore them, lest she really get a headache. She looked at a crowd of people with this ability before. Why does this relatively small amount of people overwhelmed her?

A minister urged them about the time. The people around them scrambling to their position, forming neat lines behind Karla and her family. In the commotion, the emperor bent down and whispered to her.

“It’s because you stopped using your second ability. Activate it before we enter, without it consuming you, of course,” He said in a low voice.

Karla closed her eyes. She carefully splits her mind into three; the amount she is most comfortable with. When she opens her eyes, the world as she sees it changed. It is much clearer now, as if she put on a new pair of glasses. The colors people around her emit are no longer blinding and confusing. Karla’s gaze wanders, absorbing an insane amount of information that would be enough to cripple the average person. Karla can feel her brother’s gazes on her. She doesn’t mind the scrutiny. They already know about this ability.

The commotion behind them has subsided. Behind them are lines of servants and ministers collectively referred to as the imperial court. The emperor gesture to the knights standing by the door. They immediately turned around and pushed open the grand wooden door.

The imperial family walked through the door, followed by the imperial court. Looking down at the entrance hall of the central palace, Karla can see hundreds of people looking up at them. Some are in military uniform,most are wearing fancy attire with plenty of frills, a few are in traditional tribal gowns.

These are the most important and powerful people in the empire. They run this country hand in hand with the imperial court. Karla scanned the crowd as she went down the stairs, looking for familiar faces. She can see Viscount Rivermaw and a few of her allies among them.

The imperial family sat at a raised podium in the center while the imperial court, walking behind them, went to the seats on the right of them. People in military uniform came forward and stand on the left side of the imperial family. Finally, the Senate gathered themselves in the seats facing directly at the imperial family.

The Senate, The Imperial Court, The Military and the Imperial Family. Excluding the justice and election committee, these are the four main branches of the Grevirian Empire’s government.

After confirming their assigned seats, the imperial family sat first. After a brief moment, the emperor gestured for everyone to take their seats. Grinding sounds echoed as the doors leading to the grand entrance hall were pushed closed. In front of them are clergymen dressed in plain white robes. As the doors closed, they locked it from the inside.

Each of the clergymen recited a quick prayer before thrusting their arms in the air. Together they chanted:

“Holy Barrier! Isolate! Protect!”

With every word, the clergymen wave their hands in strange gestures. Finally, they bring their hands down and clasped it in front of their chest. Karla can see balls of light coming out of their bodies. It gathered at the center of the room. The clumps of light became one, forming a small sun. Karla look up in amazement at the marvel of it, then she realized that no one in the room except for her seems to be bothered by the giant ball of light.

 ‘Could it be the same thing with that knight?’ Karla wondered. ‘If that is true, then that ball of light is mana…’

Karla watch as the giant ball of mana slowly disappear, the doors and walls around them started to shimmer like running water.

“It is to protect and maintain secrecy.” A voice to her side said.

 “Oh yeah, you’ve been here two years ago,” Karla said to Lucius.

“Are you alright?” Asked Lucius

“Like I told you, I’m fine” Karla wonders how long it’s been since they had a casual conversation before. And yet, Lucius acted as if they had just talked yesterday.

“That symptom, I experienced something like that before. It happens when I overuse my ability,” Lucius said.

Once again, Karla can see that his concern is genuine. But she had no intention of revealing more of her abilities, so she tried to ignore his concern.

“I’ll be more careful next time,” Karla said while facing away, ending the topic.

The Clergymen finished their spell and went to their assigned seat in the middle of the assembly. The assigned speaker stands and makes the first address:

“Your esteemed lordships and royalties, we once again gathered on this grand occasion to—”

“Isn’t this too early?” A gruff, masculine voice interrupted.

Karla’s gaze flickered toward the man who dare interrupted such a formal atmosphere. He is one of the few who can get away with such transgression. He is a short man, barely taller than Karla; Yet, his limbs are as wide as she is. He wore a red attire that is as wide as Karla’s bed sheet and his white mustache and beard are neatly trimmed.

“... Duke Melvar” The speaker took in a breath.

“I’m Dwarf King Melvar Address me as such!” The dwarf king demanded.

That bold request started a lot of heckling among the assembly. Melvar spat back at his opposition, starting a shouting match more suited to bars than on a formal occasion such as this. The speaker tried to take control of the situation, but the shouts and insults drowned his voice out. The speaker gave up his glance helplessly toward the emperor.

“Is the general assembly always like this?” Karla asked, she is surprised that the highest form of government in the empire acted like this.

“eh…Somewhat,” Lucius admits. “The speaker is new, he don’t know how to control the room and any pitfalls he should avoid.”

“He’s new to the job? My condolences.” Karla shook her head.

“Hahhh…Old man Melvar always makes trouble” Karla can hear her father muttered those words before he stood up.

“We are in the imperial capital here. While it’s true that you are considered king among the dwarfs, that does not apply here. To us humans and other races here in the empire, you are not a king.” The emperor said. The room immediately went silent the moment he spoke.

“Are you deaf, your majesty? I said king of dwarfs specifically for this reason”

Melvar’s insult to the crown brought another round of heckling among the assembly. The emperor raises his hands and silenced the room once more.

“Like I said, that only applies to your dukedom, which the empire viewed as a special region. Here in imperial grounds, by law… by divine right, only members of the imperial family are allowed as a monarch. So, if you wish to be called a king; you only need to put on a dress and kneel before me, begging me to make you as my bride.”

The emperor smiled wide, showing his pearly white teeth. “I might consider it if you give a good enough service”

The room exploded with laughter at the emperor’s suggestion, whistles and disgusting slurs were thrown around the room. Melvar’s face is a marvel to witness. Karla never seen a man’s face changed colors so fast. He griped the table in front of him so hard that it split in two, spilling ink and papers all over the floor.

“What the hell is this?” Karla is utterly confused.

“This is politics Karla. A battle of words, not strength. Duke Melvar is a powerful warrior and a seasoned general. But in this closed hall, that meant nothing.” Lucius seemed talkative today, a rare sight.

“I guess that’s why they put a barrier, then?” Karla asked Lucius.

“It usually never gets this bad. This only happens because the speaker is so inept”

Karla giggled. At the very least, this whole thing will not be boring.

 

If you (Like Karla) thinks that this kind of thing can't happen in real life then you'll be surprised. There is no shortage of parliamentary fight clips on youtube.

Writing this, I was mostly inspired by the British parliament and those like it. US style seems kind of boring to write so I scrapped it, but I do keep some of the ideas in mind. By my estimates, this whole thing should take around 2-3 chapters. After that ,we finally going to the arc's finale.  I'll try to keep the boring political stuff to a minimum but no promises. 

About Karla abilities, we will get a proper explanation in the future. But I guess most of you has already figured out what her second ability is. It's not especially rare in isekai stories, just never become the main highlight.

Lastly, I want to put a disclaimer that anything written here only applies to the world in the story. In no way does it reflect my real world views.

See ya next time!

6