3. Step Sisters and Questionable Allies
81 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“No! This cannot be,” Karla said as she paced around the vacant room.

During the course of the meal, they endeavored to engage in a discourse with her. Karla adhered to her own advice and refrained from speaking much, adopting an aloof demeanor that reinforced the rumors of her being antisocial.

She had left the dining room early. Her family tried to make her stay, but she pushed through, and her father didn't seem to mind.

When Karla is out, she dismisses her servants right away. She needs time to ponder what she'll do next and make the necessary arrangements in case she needs to flee the country soon. Because there's no way in hell she joins the military. Doing so would give her an actual political power, which means she will eventually be a contender for the throne. A weak one, sure, but still a political rival to watch out for.

When the winner is decided, even if she didn't actively participate in the struggle for the throne, they will still get rid of her one way or another.

No hard feelings, little sister, that's just how politics work. She can already imagine Peter saying this while he slid a dagger along her throat, or worse, sending her off to marry a man thrice her age in some desolate place.

Karla shivers, she rather takes a fruit knife to end her life right there, Anything but creepy old men, Karla thought while remembering a certain 'Ally' of hers.

“Ugh, why? Why do females also have a right to inherit the throne? Most monarchies aren't like this. I merely want a relatively secure and peaceful life!” Karla laments her fate. But she soon calmed down and began to think of countermeasures.

The primary task at hand is for her to secure her exit plan, a matter that Karla has diligently attended to over the years since she learned of Klaus's assassination.

The plan entailed a covert escape to the Krestland archipelago, situated in the inner sea. She would leverage her painstakingly acquired connections and assets to guarantee her safety and confidentiality throughout the voyage. Additionally, she had devised plans to safeguard her financial and social prosperity in the archipelago by transporting valuable movable assets such as imperial coins, gold ingots, and other tradable commodities.

She already arranges the pieces to the best of her ability, now all she needs to do is move them.

“Firstly, I need to write letters,” Karla decided. In order to move her pieces, she needs to inform them of her situation. Karla walks at a swift pace toward her chamber, where she finds two figures in front of her.

“Ow sister stop, please, don't pull my hair!”

At a secluded hallway stood two girls, one was an otherworldly beauty with platinum blond hair. Her eyes in contrast to the rest of her body were inky black and possessed a depth that makes them bewitching. The other girl is a mere child and was strikingly similar to the beautiful girl. One can tell at a glance that the two of them are sisters.

Those two are Karla stepsisters, Catherine and Nataly.

“What did you two talk about at lunch?!” Catherine yanked Nataly's hair harder, “You didn't tell anything to that girl, did you?”

“No! I didn't. You told me not to!” Nataly desperately clung to Catherine's arm.

“I can never be certain when it comes to your loudmouth. I swear it's like sewage drainage, always spewing shit!” Catherine finally lets go.

“Promptly, tell me what you talk about with her.”

“She…she told me to not worry” Nataly sobbed through her tears “that it is not my fault that-”

Catherine strikes Nataly's cheek, the sound loud enough to echo through the hallway. Karla's eyes widened in shock as Nataly crumpled to the floor. She was pondering what to do as Catherine continued tormenting Nataly by placing her heel on Nataly's hand.

“Of course it's your fault! How stupid can you be? You're the one who told that fiend, Peter. The treacherous bastard wrings me dry and then backstabs me even though I did everything he said” Catherine's voice was shrill like a whistle.

“And now you're telling me even that antisocial girl knows about it?!”

“I don't know anything, though? It seems there's a misunderstanding sister” Karla steps forward, finally decides to intervene.

Both Nataly and Catherine look at her in surprise. Catherine scowls and strides towards Karla, her demeanor betraying a readiness for conflict. The atmosphere becomes taut with tension. However, Karla remains impervious to the provocation and continues on her path to check on Nataly's injuries.

Her cheeks are swollen already, and it seems the bone on her left hand is fractured. Karla chanted a freeze spell on Nataly's hand and cheek. Because she is not a mage, even though she put considerable effort into the spell it did nothing but give a gentle coolness, similar to an ice pack.

“Hah,” Nataly sighed in relief.

Catherine was befuddled, for never before had she been so blatantly ignored. She gazed in a daze as Karla knelt before Nataly, taking several moments to collect her thoughts before finally speaking up.

“… I see, so you are following me. Seeing what I will do-”

“No, sister, I have no such intention.” Karla stood up and stepped in between Nataly and Catherine.

“Then what you are doing here?” Catherine straightens her dress, not that anything's wrong with it.

“You're not the only one that uses secluded places like this to take care of personal business,” Karla said casually.

Catherine glares at her harshly, “if you think you can threaten me-”

“I don't have anything to threaten you with,” Karla said as sincerely as possible. “I'm sorry if my actions from earlier imply otherwise.”

Karla knows she can never fully convince her sister that she meant no harm, so she went to pick up Nataly.

“Pardon me, dear sister” Karla supports Nataly as the two of them make their way through the hallway. Karla didn't glance back, but she can feel Catherine's eyes on her back, it feels like a swarm of bees, and Karla couldn't help but shiver involuntarily.

Karla escorted her sister out of the main palace. She figured it would be better to bring Nataly to the hospital at the southernmost building in the palace complex, near the barracks and training grounds used by the palace guards. The whole way, Nataly didn't utter a word, and it started to worry Karla.

“Umm, sorry Nataly,” Karla said finally, unable to bear the stiffening silence.

“For what?” Nataly glances up at her in surprise.

“Because of me, your elder sister had the wrong idea. I should've been more careful.”

“No sister, you're simply concerned about me” Nataly shook her head “and I appreciate it, from now on I will not speak a single word to anyone ever again!”

“No, no, you don't have to be mute. Just be careful around others, okay?”

“Okay!” Nataly promised, her usual smile can be seen once more.

They both arrive at the entrance of the hospital. It was a three-story building at the foot of a hill. It had many oversized windows, almost like the greenhouse used for magical plants. A woman dressed in a white robe notices the two of them; she approaches them and then bows before asking if she could help with anything. Karla decides to leave Nataly in her care, unfortunately, she can't stay because many things need her attention right now.

“Come to me if you need help,” Karla said to Nataly before leaving.

She should be fine, Karla thought, there are plenty of mages there who specialize in healing magic. An injury of that degree would only take a minute or so.

Karla shifts her focus, she really is low on time now. She dashes through the sky-way, ignoring the burning pain in her legs and chest. She makes her body lightweight when she reaches any stairs, making it easier to ascend.

Some guards glance in her direction when she comes near, even though she makes little noise other than the faint rustling of her dress. Those guards must be trained to be sensitive to magic. Karla always takes note of their faces, posts, and the time of their shift. To her, it is valuable information, since she always sneaks in and out of the palace.

“Anyone here?” Karla shouts as she enters her chambers.

“Milady! Why are you sweating so much?” Anna asks. She is preparing for the upcoming ceremony along with her sister Sarah.

"Never mind that, bring me my writing set now!" Said Karla before she collapsed onto her bed.

"If you excuse me then" Anna bows before vacating the room.

Karla took a moment to recover before speaking to Sarah who is still in the room

"In addition, call a courier. I've got some letters to deliver!"

After a brief rest Karla decides to send four letters, she reasoned if she writes more it will invite unneeded suspicion. She had some of these four men contact the needed people by themselves.

The people who will be receiving these letters are essential to Karla’s plans to smuggle herself out of the country. These four men are Earl Noblegold, Viscount Rivermaw, Harlan the Silver Wolf, and Commander Orwell.

Earl Noblegold is someone from the ministry of finance and trade, more specifically he is in charge of overseeing sales and the flow of foreign goods. Karla required his help to gain connections for her plans and move around her various assets discreetly.

It was thanks to him that Karla managed to purchase an estate in Krestland Archipelago under a fake name and put a few of her assets there for safekeeping.

Two years ago, in the winter season, Karla had a meeting with Earl Noblegold at a banquet held within his estate. Being aware that his company was responsible for importing exotic teas from the eastern continent to the empire, she made it her mission to attend. As it was a private event, Karla encountered no difficulties in attending.

At the time, it was only half a month after Brother Klaus’ assassination, so Karla was desperate to secure herself some allies.

The conversation between them progressed swimmingly, mainly due to their main topic of discussion — the esteemed Earl Noblegold's exquisite tea, which happened to caught Karla’s interest. As it turns out, Karla exhibited profound interest in acquiring the earl's prized tea product; hence they planned to meet again after the party for further discussion on a potential sale.

The sale was a success, as the earl successfully conducted business with royalty, thereby lending prestige to his company. Additionally, Karla not only obtained excellent tea but also established a connection with a distinguished merchant who held a senior position in the government.

She had gotten herself the best ally she could hope for, or so she thought at the time. You see, even at the age of eight, Karla was aware of how relations and alliances work.

Typically, there exists a mutual desire between both parties in an alliance, and the longevity of said alliance hinges on each party's ability to fulfill their respective desires. The moment one fails to do so, the alliance is liable to break. Karla learned this lesson from observing the ever-fluctuating power dynamics within the imperial court.

The problem isn’t Earl Noblegold wanting something from Karla, the problem is what he wants from her. The Earl is not interested in her gold or her position as a princess, what he wants the most is herself.

Yes, he is a man of such tastes. Karla can feel it from the way his touch will linger longer than necessary. The look in his eyes as he gazes upon her exposed neckline and that he is more willing to help Karla if they sit together on a couch.

Initially, she was bewildered, but soon found literature in the library that features such people with warped interest. Frankly speaking, she was revolted.

For a period of two years, Karla had to cultivate close relations with him despite feeling disgusted by him. She was compelled to do so due to the undeniable fact that he was her most important ally, which made it all the more difficult for her. Over time, Karla felt as though something within her had begun to break — She knew that something within her has cracked beyond recognition.

“Earl Noblegold? You want to send a letter to him, Milady?” Anna asks, clearly worried. While Karla never said anything about the earl Anna knows there is something about him that Karla hated.

“Yes, see if a servant had to do something in the city, then ask them to deliver this along the way,” Karla says as she laced the letter with her most fragrant perfume.

“Ah, some maids will be going to the city to replenish the kitchen spices stock. If I hurry now, I might be able to give it to them before they go,” says Sarah.

“Then please, and to notify them to be discreet about it” Karla entrusts Sarah the letter and then starting to write the next one

Viscount Rivermaw is the dwarf lord of Valya, a region south of the capital where the River Rust meets with the inner sea. It is also home to the largest port on the empire; it’s reasonable to say his domain represents the economic heart of the empire.

As for how Karla managed to know such an important person, one day Karla stumbled upon his daughter who was bullied by other noble children. Being a mere viscount yet having such an essential domain, Count Rivermaw might as well be a margrave. But he isn't and being a dwarf just makes him and his family more vulnerable to discrimination.

“Thank you for saving me princess,” she said after Karla chased her bullies away.

“Those people might consider themselves nobles, but they didn't act nobly at all,” Karla said promptly, choosing to not accept the gratitude.

Naturally, this is no mere coincidence; Karla already arranged this from the start. Karla was once again desperate for allies once she realized Earl's Noblegold true colors, so she had some noble kids bully Viscount Rivermaw's daughter. Then she came just in time to 'save' her.

Viscount Rivermaw was an obvious choice for an ally since he is economically powerful but doesn't possess much influence politically so he is preferable to Karla who wants to stay low.

Karla also reasoned her experience dealing with earl Noblegold might prove useful. True enough her merchant connections which she got form earl Noblegold played a vital role

The letter Karla writes right now asks for Viscount Rivermaw assistance on getting herself a reasonably sturdy and big boat to ferry her across the inner sea to the Krestland archipelago. She doesn’t specify anything else because the Viscount is used to such a request. Karla always asks him to deliver things for her to the archipelago.

In return for serving as Karla's personal errand boy, he was granted a majority share in a goldmine located in the Winter Mountain range. This valuable asset had been inherited by Karla from her deceased mother. Although some may view this compensation as excessive, Karla was immensely grateful to have gained an ally who valued her gold over any other form of payment or reward.

That squandering was worth it; since then, Viscount Rivermaw has become unwaveringly loyal to her. He thinks of Karla as a generous and kind benefactor. He accomplishes everything Karla proposes with no question asked and with the efficiency of an imperial butler.

Karla took back her initial thoughts and lamented the fact that Viscount Rivermaw retained no political power; she wished he swapped positions with that freak Earl Noblegold.

Since Viscount Rivermaw's daughter is the same age as Karla, she will most likely take part in the evening ceremony. Karla decided to give the letter to him personally.

The last two letters are a set sent to the same person. That is because Karla can't contact the other recipient directly, so she needs to ask Commander Orwell, who is one of the recipients, to deliver the letter to the other person.

That other person is Harlan The Snow Wolf, leader of a mercenary band.

As to how Karla managed to gain favors from these two men remains a story for another time.

“Milady, I'm sorry to interrupt, but you need to make preparations now if you want to be present for the ceremony.”

“I know, give this to the courier. It has an Imperial family seal, so notify him to skip the procedures and just give it straight to Commander Orwell's hands.”

Anna received the letter before she had Karla enter the wardrobe, where a dozen servants were waiting to dress her up.

 

I just realized after editing this (almost) 3000 words chapter, my pacing kinda slow.

the first arc alone probaly gonna take hundreds of pages at this pace...

Anyway, see ya this saturday!

3