CH4.3
24 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Heavenly Tribulation lvl6/9 Tier 1

 

Taking the skill out of an alchemic role was an important lesson. It sought out the traits I disliked in my targets and struck seeking balance. The more I disliked the traits, the harder the technique struck. I think it required a certain mindset to bring out its true power. Contempt seemed to be the power’s favored fuel, like charcoal for a furnace or oven. A shovel of contempt for my opponent directed the skill and gave it power. All I had to do was learn how to love myself again.

 

A panel opened in the ceiling, and I only saw the flash of scales before a hob moved in and blocked a stone spear with his shield.

 

“Stop daydreaming; you’ll get yourself killed.” The Hob looked at me through his helmet, showing the whites of his eyes. “I would hate to tell Frog you died.”

 

I gave the Hob a look over and recognized some features that Mos had.

 

“Sorry, I’ll work on that.” I lifted my hand and decided the kobold’s ability to stand after trying to kill me was offensive. My heavenly tribulation lashed out, striking the kobold’s legs and bringing the mob to its knees. The moment my lightning cut off, an ax slammed home into the kobold’s neck. I heard a sickening squelch and saw the Hob pull his weapon free. I saw the spine was half cut in two before blood gushed out of the wound.

 

Skill unlocks worked on Red logic; the goal is the get rich, the first step is to acquire rocks, and the second one was unknown. If it's possible to get to the next step with a skill my class can learn, it will appear to fill in my second step.

 

That checked out even if Red hadn’t outright told me how it worked. Skills were needed to increase a class above level 50. I had no idea what about my skills would help me break the level cap. A term I’ve found in the system pdfs I have access to. Unfortunately I had no idea how to search through all the information I had to find what I needed. There was no skill appearing to help me fill in that blank. Either I didn’t have the right class, or there was no such skill.

 

That’s why I was confused about skill shards. When the kobold my hob bodyguard killed dropped a skill shard, I had no idea what to do with it.

 

Skill Shard

Rank: E

Copper Scales

Minimum Upkeep: 10MPs

Description: Create scales made of copper from mana to protect the body.

 

It was an obscenely weak skill that could be incredibly useful for me. Drops would always be bent toward my class because I’m the only one connected to the system here. From my research on nights when all I could do was sit alone and look up information, I learned how the system created items. It tore MN particles from corpses and formed items. A portion was taken by the system for upkeep, and the rest was used to create a random item that could benefit the adventurer. Sometimes, when the MN particles were too low, it would create coins or other precious metals instead.  

 

Black Rei made me a system host. That’s why we had drops at all. A hob picked up a scimitar, a sword rumored to be wielded somewhere continents away. I only knew what it was called by the system information. It added shock damage to its slashes. While it would damage the ghosts a few levels down, it wouldn’t do much to them.

 

“I was hoping for an ax.” The Hob said.

 

“We might have to run the dungeon a few more times,” I said.

 

“That could get expensive. We only brought enough mana stones to fuel the dungeon for two repeat attempts. We have two more floors to check before the catacombs open.” Another Hob said.

 

“Where are the mana stones coming from?” I asked.

 

“A mine somewhere nearby. You would have to ask an administrator of land resources to find out. Let’s collect the books and search for any hidden treasure.” The Hob said.

 

My allies didn’t really trust me, not even Mos’s uncle. I was certain Mos was actually a spy but had no proof she was rather hands-off in information gathering. This was still better than the human town. I had food, work, money, and a cut goblin girl, so I couldn’t complain. Already, I had everything I could have wanted before my sister ate my mother.

 

“Let’s leave the searching for others. I want to take on the next room.” I said.

 

The hobs grunted but led the way to the next room. I struck the second we entered, frying the nearest kobold while the hobs took the throat out of another. Once again, I couldn’t keep the drops; they were taken by a gob running the loot back to the camp forming outside the dungeon.

 

I was sure I wouldn’t see a single book for free. I was likely Blonca would charge me to buy any skill shard or piece of gear we found. Even the coins were taken by some goblins and added to the city funds. In essence, I was shilling out resources without being paid.

 

The disease cures were free because I didn’t have the trust needed to charge them. All potions I sold to the republic were then either sold to their own soldiers or sold at outrageous prices to the burgeoning ruling class. Mos might do most of the shopping, but I have taken some walks and seen what my deal with the goblins has gotten me. 50 stars a week was nothing. While the floor only had a few coppers on it, lower floors would drop more coins with me present.

 

See Patreon or Kofi for Dinner Chapter and Bonus Content

CH5, 6, and 7

Kofi

Patreon

0