Prologue: The weaver of fate
495 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Prologue: The weaver of fate

In the serene backdrop of a breathtaking sunset, the sky is painted in red and golden hues with scarce clouds, three moons illuminate the heavens. The farthest is a pristine white orb, followed by a vibrant red moon in the middle, and nearest to the planet is a fractured blue moon.

Down on a rocky beach where the waves are hitting the shore and you can hear sea birds chirp while they are returning to their nests.

A man in his thirties, is desperately running with a sack hanging on his shoulder and hugging a vase etched with ancient symbols, towards the edge of the rocky mountain cliff along the waters. His appearance almost ethereal. His skin carries a gentle tan. His thin physique and white hair give him an otherworldly aura, and his delicate features could easily be mistaken for those of a woman. He wore a kilt-like garment, a wrapped linen skirt that extended from the waist to the knees. He wore a short-sleeved linen shirt that reached down to the hips. He is accessorized with necklace, bracelets, and rings. He has a mysterious mark etched on the back of his right arm.

Despite his desperate sprint along the rocky beach, there is no fear in his eyes. Instead, a profound calmness prevails.

Having reached the edge of the cliff, he halts abruptly, gasping for breath. After a moment of recovery, he slowly takes in the breathtaking scenery before him. Standing at the cliff's edge, he feels the cool breeze from the sea on his face. The rhythmic sound of waves hitting the rocks below and the cheerful calls of seagulls fill the air. Taking a moment to catch his breath, he soaks in the peaceful surroundings. The horizon is slowly transforming, with the sky turning shades of red as the sun begins to set.

He drops the sack on his shoulders and gathers all his strength to throw the seemingly porcelain vase etched with ancient symbols into the ocean. Unfortunately, his strength proved insufficient, and the vase fell onto the rocks at the edge of the ocean. However, the vase did not break upon impact. It bounced a bit, tumbled, and eventually descended into the ocean waters. Gradually, the vase began to float away with the currents.

After he watched the vase float away, he walked back to where he dropped his sack. From the sack, he took out some firewood. Additionally, he grabbed two chemicals and mixed them. He threw this mixture onto the firewood. When the chemicals reacted, they produced heat, which ignited the tinder, starting a fire.

He slowly extracted several cylindrical containers from his sack, opening each one to reveal scrolls stored within. He threw the scrolls into the fire and observed as they burned slowly. He then closed the empty cylindrical containers and threw them back into his sack and hung it on his right shoulder. Then, with a relaxed demeanor, he then seated himself at the cliff's edge. Humming a soothing tune, he savored both the mesmerizing scenery and the comforting warmth emanating from the fire.

Copyright © [2023] [The Rainy Imp]. All rights reserved.

He stopped his humming when he heard the sounds of approaching hoofbeats, likely belonging to animals, reached his ears from behind. Despite the approaching sounds, he remained unfazed. 

A female voice then emerged from behind him, mockingly, "Enjoying yourself, aren't you?"

He took a deep breath and exhaled through mouth, “haaaa….”.

He rose from his seated position, dusted himself off, and lifted his head. Observing eight women gracefully dismounting from their horned rides, reminiscent of horses, he took a few steps towards them in order to avoid the cliff edge for safety.

Each of the 8 women seem to be young and strong, wore donned garments, displaying distinct variations in style and ornamentation a flowing linen garment that covered the body. The fabric is light and breathable, suitable for the warm climate of the region. The dresses featured intricate patterns and designs.

The one leading this group of women has a strong and majestic presence, exuded an aura befitting a queen. Her attire, adorned with intricate details and draped elegantly, accentuated her beauty and authority. A regal headdress adorned her head. Her skin is slightly tanned with bronzed hue. Her facial expression seems cold. Her eyes are deep and intense with a shade of red, as if she wants to burn the world. She has flowing curly red hair that reached her hips. Her body is toned and fit, showcasing both strength and alluring curves. She has the same mark as the man etched on the back of her left arm. As she approached, the other women followed suit.

They came to a halt as they approached him maintaining a cautious distance.

He remained still, unmoving, as a woman from the group gracefully approached him. The woman seems to be in her thirties, appearing affluent and covetous. She wore lavish clothes which made her curves stand out. She has a beautiful face. Her expression is mocking and cynical. Her hair is green reaching down to her shoulders, and her eyes have the same captivating green Shade. She has a confident and greedy look about her.

She swiftly snatched the sack from his shoulder and returned to the group.

"Check the contents", she instructed as she passed the sack to a studious looking woman.

She nods as she received the sack to examine its contents. She has neck-length blue hair, slightly tanned but fair skin, complementing her overall appearance. She had a scholarly air about her. Her clothes are elaborate, adorned with intricate patterns and symbols, reflecting a keen interest in knowledge. Her eyes are intense with a shade of blue.

Turning to the man, the affluent woman adopted a tone of mock sympathy. "Why go through all this trouble? You can have it all – riches, women. Just come back to us. Why resist?"

"Do I need your help to gain riches in this world?", the man responded with a smile. Shifted his gaze towards the leader of the group, “As for women, I have eye on only one woman. I don't need any other."

"And she is the only one you could never have", she retorted.

Another woman with a toned, muscular and curvy physique, brown short hair and brown shaded eyes, broad shoulders and arms marked with well-defined muscles, she was dressed in a blend of ancient warrior attire, featuring a combination of leather and metal elements that highlighted her formidable presence. A longsword hung at her side, and her eyes, sharp and vigilant. Battle scars adorned her arms and face. She asked, “I've always wanted to ask you, don't you hate us? Don't you feel anger toward us?"

"Anger is like fire. It can burn your enemies, but if not controlled properly, it can hurt you and your kin”, the man replied. “As for hate, it will easily lead us astray. Only those ignorant of the truth of the world are capable of that."

"Are you calling us ignorant?" the woman clenched her fist feeing enraged.

“…”, the man did not respond, further fueling her rage.

"Says the person who betrayed his own kind", another woman retorted.

She seems to be in her 20’s with a laid-back demeanor, has brunette hair that falls lazily around her shoulders.

“…”

“OH! Since you say that you are not capable of hate, I would like to test it.” Another woman chimed in. She seems to be in her 40’s, has gray shaded eyes, dry gray hair reaching her back, with a seemingly sadistic and cruel expression on her face. While tapping her chin, “Let's see, why don't I torture your child in front of you without killing him? Let’s see for how many years you can last without hating me."

"Oh! You can try", the man retorted with a mocking smile.

"What do you mean-?" the woman frowns.

“Hey, some of the containers are empty. Where the scrolls?” the studious woman interrupted as she has finished checking the contents of the sack.

“Hmm??” the man tilted his head a little and made a face as if he didn't understand what she meant. Then, he exclaimed with an expression as if he had suddenly realized something, “Ah! I was feeling a bit cold, so I used them to make some warmth," he pointed his thumb towards the fire burning behind him.

“….”

“….”

"You bastard", enraged, the woman walked briskly towards him, her features twisted with anger and punched him in the stomach while cursing.

The impact of the punch sent the man sprawling to the ground, clutching his stomach in pain. Vomiting and coughing up blood, he struggled to regain his composure. But the woman was not satisfied. With a ferocious kick, the woman vented her frustration, hitting the man while he was still on the ground. His body convulsed with pain and he coughed more blood.

“hump”, then she returned to the group.

"Are the scrolls we're looking for here?" the affluent woman inquired with a frown.

“Yes”, the studious woman nodded in affirmation.

"Huh..., Then why did you beat him?" she asked confused.

"He burned something, and I don't know what it was. It might even be more valuable. Plus, I didn't like him being more intelligent than me", she pouted and returned to verifying the contents of the remaining scrolls.

“…..”

“…..”

“…..”

“…..”

Everyone was taken aback by her motive.

"Did you get what you needed?" the queen inquired, breaking her silence.

“Yes”, The affluent woman nodded.

"Hahaha! It seems you will be dying here then", gray haired woman mocked.

Copyright © [2023] [The Rainy Imp]. All rights reserved.

"Do you love me?" asked the queen as she walked toward the man who was attempting to sit on the ground.

“….”

"But I hate you", she continues while kneeling down in front of him.

She took a knife hanging from her waist in one hand, held his left hand on the ground, and slowly stabbed it.

“Aaargh….!”, the man screamed in pain as the knife pierced his hand.

"I hated every moment you were with me. Every time your hand touched me, I wanted to rip it apart", she continued while twisting the knife.

“Aaargh….!” he screamed in pain as blood flowed out.

"W-we... are the beginning… of a new civilization”, he spoke while gasping for air. “We can’t to guide the future generations with hate, pride, greed or prejudice”.

“Ugh! Enough with your hypocrisy”, the affluent woman dismisses.

“Hump! What has all your knowledge and intellect brought you? How are your pretty words helping you now?" the warrior woman mocks. “Listen, brat, those who are weak have no say in anything. Only the strong make the rules, only the strong make history. We, being the strong, will guide the future.”

“Do- “

"Hahahah…Hahahaha! You claim we're the beginning?" the queen laughed maniacally. She grabs his hair and declares while glaring into his eyes. "No, we are the beginning. You are just a disgusting tool for us to achieve what we want."

She removes the pierced knife from his hand, stabs him in his right shoulder.

“Aaargh….!”

She then twists it.

“Aaargh….!” Screams more intensely.

After that, she takes it back, stands up, and kicks him in the face.

“…..”

“Urgh”, blood oozes from his nose and lips.

"Hahaha! Do you know the irony of this?" Mocks the gray-haired woman with a cruel smile. "We are going to use your knowledge and intellect to bring chaos to this world, regardless of your will. Aren’t you glad?"

“Ha... ha..." he pants for air, then with great effort, he slowly stands up, exhales deeply, trying to regain composure, with focused eyes, he faced the women and spoke in a deep voice.

"Everything created is based upon ORDER. Time and space are moving in circles. All that exists is only an aspect of greater things yet to come. Time is the only judge who shall declare who the winner is.

“Everyone assumes themselves to be the strongest. But fate is the strongest of all. And-”.

With an enigmatic expression and a faint mocking smile, he declares

“I am the weaver of fate”

“….”

“….”

“….”

Woosh…. Splash

The sounds of the ocean breeze and waves resonated as the women who witnessed this, were left awestruck not knowing what to say.

After a momentary lapse, the queen regained her composure, furrowing her brows, she questioned, "Are those your final words?" while walking towards him.

“I hope you could let go of your hatred”, looking into her eyes with a loving gaze, he spoke in a tender and sweet tone, “I love you.”

With a bright smile, “and I forgive you".

“Is that so”

As she reached him, she put her hand on his shoulder, gripped her blade and stabbed him in his abdomen.

“Urgh”

She then retracted the blade and let him go.

"Wait, don't kill him!" panicked studious woman cried out as he fell to the ground.

She desperately ran to him, shaking his body, “Hey don’t die”

“Don’t die”

“What happened”, asked the affluent woman. While everyone is confused.

Without replying, she threw the scroll she is holding at her.

Confusion filled the air as the women examined the scroll, only to witness the content of the scroll evaporating, leaving it blank. The women looked at him with a horrified expression on their faces. They rushed to check the remaining scroll only to find them all blank.

"How could you do this?” consumed by fury the studious woman shook the man, demanding an explanation, “You're an intellect. You know the value of the knowledge. That was your research and life's work. How could you destroy it? Arion!"

The man, however, only responded with a serene smile.

“Hahaha…. Hahaha!” she burst into laughter while letting him go as she came to a realization while observing his expression. “No, you did not destroy it. You have other means to hide it. Hahaha. Don't think I will let it go. I will find it no matter what."

As his body laid on the ground, he turned his head to his love, casting a final glance at her against the fractured moon in the sky. A kind smile adorned his face as she was also looking at him. Behind him, the sun had finally set, initiating the night's descent. As he took his last breath, a serene expression lingered on his face.


Author's Note:

Hello everyone,

I'm excited to share my very first web novel with you! Since this is my debut, there might be a few mistakes here and there. I appreciate your understanding as I learn and grow.

Your feedback is crucial to me. If you notice any issues or have suggestions, please drop a comment. I'm eager to make this experience enjoyable for you.

I hope you have a great time diving into the story. Thank you for joining me on this adventure!

Cheers,

[The Rainy Imp]


Copyright Notice:

Title: [The Eye of Fate: Thoth’s Revelation]

Author: [The Rainy Imp]

Copyright © [2023] by [The Rainy Imp]

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

For permission requests, write to the author at [[email protected]].

8