(Vol1) 42. The Wall of Talent
56 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For as long as he can remember, Issac was alone since young, abandoned in an alley. As he lived the life of a thief and beggar, he had seen the worst atrocities of humanity. 

Nevertheless, there is light in the sea of darkness. He was fortunately enough to meet a kind man and woman willing to take him in.

That was his first encounter with genuine kindness.

Issac has three foster siblings, a sister and two brothers, he is the oldest. 

His time with the family taught him the values of humanity and true happiness. He realized the life he lived, feeding off the misery of others, was not one he wanted having experienced the worst himself. It was the wishes of his foster parents too and Issac would rather die than break it. 

In a society gleaming with human desires, no one will honestly blame Issac for indulging, but his moral conscience defines his mind. It is a rare gem in a corrupted world. 

To protect his family, he learned how to fight with a sword and worked various gigs to earn measly money. 

In the end, he decided that joining the military was the best way to secure good pay for a lowly commoner. However, his skills with the blade were average as the result of mere self-learning and fighting on the streets. 

Issac was a rock on a road. There were thousands of applicants that day. 

He was rejected. 

"Hah..." Issac sighed and left for home. On the way, he saw a man getting robbed and helped subdue the thief, albeit with some difficulty. 

By the string of luck, a commander saw the act and permitted his entry to a rather..."special" squad in his unit. 

Issac met three people in similar situations there, all of them had nothing special yet approved entry by the commander personally. Masoc needed money to support his bedridden sister and Kaden wanted to grow stronger and brave to protect someone. Aeon...well...he rarely speaks so Issac doesn't know his backstory. 

As such, their squad was referred to as the "pity squad" and looked down on by many other teams. 

...

But they have something other teams lack: Reason and conviction. 

They try to improve every day. 

They try their hardest...yet nothing seems to be improving. They start to feel the talent gap. They start to feel dejected. 

In addition, the reality was forced on Issac when the commander's son, a champion of the Akatski Tournament, was assigned as their squad's captain. 

"The Wall of Talent."

An insurmountable obstacle looms over his spirit, crushing it to pieces. 

"What was the point of working so hard?" Issac thought to himself. "Am I fated to be weak forever? No matter what I do, I cannot match up to the monsters in my generation." 

No talent, no resources, and no status. Issac was at the lowest point of his life. 

When he stared at the village before leaving, he was looking at the battle scars created within a minute by the captain. 

He gritted his teeth in anger. 

"Damn it..." He thought and sighed.

"You look like you are going to die. We can visit here some other time." his captain suddenly says. 

!

"..." 

Issac could only nod, keeping his expression away from his captain. 

He realized jealousy was eating away at him. That was not who he was, feeling anger for his captain who treated him so well. 

He jumped on his horse with many thoughts running through him. 

...

He sighed on horseback and gazed at his sword. Maybe this path is not really...right for him. 

"Do you want to become stronger?" Loi asked.

The question stings. 

"Yes sir..." Issac replied. 

The captain proceeded to ask each of the other members. 

"The seasons are changing and the expedition will begin soon. Until then, we will all be experiencing hell like never before." Loi smiled pleasantly. "If anyone lags, don't worry, I will push you forward myself."

!

The threatening smile woke Issac from his sorrow.

If the captain puts in such effort, he should return it. For now, Issac...decided to continue. 

The next few days, there was no rest, we woke up early and headed for a long morning climb and run...up the mountains behind our camp. Sir Loi got permission from his father to use the surrounding nature as training. 

The towering peaks pierced the sky as cliffs and rugged slopes spread the ominous shadow of howling winds. The sun had yet to rise and the daunting cold challenged Issac's persistence. He and his squad mates had to gauge the atmosphere with minimal vision, relying on their senses in unaccustomed ways. Issac tripped a few times while following the captain running. Somehow Issac is not surprised that the captain had a basket of boulders strapped to his back and various sandbags attached to his limbs. 

"Ugh...Damn it..." Issac picked himself up and pushed himself.

Issac's frustration clicked his tongue countless times. His unrealistic attempts to keep up with the captain proved dangerous and unhealthy mentally. 

Their route through the mountain traversed through many dangers, still, everyone overcame their fears and managed to persist until breakfast. 

Back at the camp, Issac collapsed to the floor, out of breath and full of cuts. He looked around and realised everyone was the same but none was left behind in the run. 

Finally, Issac gazed at his captain. Loi threw the basket of boulders before he fell to the ground, his limbs shivering and asking for help. 

!

...

At breakfast, everyone could barely eat with trembling arms. The day had yet to truly begin. They experienced true hell, pushing further than what they fathomed; They trained their physique to the maximum. 

One month passed. 

After some rest, Issac tried swinging his sword amidst a forest.

Although there were visible improvements to their body, Issac felt little improvements in his swordsmanship and his confidence took a lethal hit. 

...

"Haahh..." He sighed out. 

"What's wrong?" 

!

"Sir Loi?" Issac turned to find Loi behind him. "I..."

Issac plunged his sword into the ground. "I am grateful for everything you have done. Truly." He bowed at his captain. "But...I don't think...I have a talent for this." The words were difficult to say as if thorns were stabbing him with every vowel. 

...

"No, of course you do."

"There's no need for sweet words, Sir. I...know my limits."

Issac bowed at his captain, unable to look him in the eye. 

"Answer me, do you desire to become stronger? Truthfully. Or are you giving up because it is too difficult?"

"Respectfully sir, I've tried! I do want to be stronger! I need to be stronger! Only then can I change my fate! My damned life!" Issac shouts while still facing down. 

...

He was afraid of what the captain would say. Disappointment? 

He didn't want to hear it. 

...

"This isn't the Issac I know...what happened?" The captain mumbles. 

Issac didn't understand what the captain meant. In the end, the captain taps his shoulder. 

"Tomorrow, I plan to visit the Akatski Academy's Archive. I will help you find an answer there. So don't worry about the headaches and leave them to me. Just train diligently, that's all."

!!!

Issac leaped forward to Loi. "Y-You are using that opportunity for this? Why? It's such a valuable...treasure that so many experts around the kingdom crave."

The Akatski Academy's Archive is a legendary place rumoured to answer any questions one will have. Only gifted monsters are allowed in, whether it is a warrior or a scholar, participants will always change the world. That's why people pay high attention to those that enter. Contents of such mythical phenomena are also not revealed as entrées swear an oath within the vicinity. Perhaps the archive is a large library of countless pieces of knowledge. Perhaps it is an all-knowing entity that answers every problem. No one outside knows. 

"Well, I was surprised when the emperor granted me entry. I was a champion, that's all...Anyway, I will use it as I see fit." Loi said and smiled. 

Issac stood there stunned. 

"Why are you going this far? Technically, we aren't close." Issac asked. 

...

"It's my duty as your captain," Loi said.

"And...it's a debt I must return," Loi mumbled, gazing away. 

Issac was unaware it was directed at him. 

He soon found out that his captain was talking to each of the members, trying to encourage one another and fix their problems. 

It was the first time he had such a caring superior, Issac didn't know how to react. 

...

If his captain was trying so hard, maybe Issac should try...more.

9