Chapter 62: Tea for Twenty
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He was right. They were there for a while.

Tammy continued to measure and evaluate Chad, running him through a battery of tests. Lifting this, catching that, testing his reflexes, and so on. Most of them he ruined in comical fashion. Some of them he simply didn't know what to do with.

Annie watched from the sidelines with amusement. Evidently, the mad scientist doctor had no interest in her. So long as she stayed out of the way, the massage therapist could enjoy front-row seats to him getting boxes of bandages and antibiotics thrown at his face from various distances.

He was fairly certain they would have gone all night if not for dinner. After what felt like an hour, one of Gram Gram's cats came down to meow at them persistently, jerking its head upstairs in a strangely human motion. Even then, it took another ten minutes for the doctor to release him.

"Shoo. I have data to analyze." Tammy practically shoved them toward the door.

"Aren't you gonna come eat?" Chad asked. "It's dinner--"

"I don't have time to eat right now," she explained testily. "Go!"

Shrugging, he and Annie went upstairs to meet the others. As they climbed the staircase, Annie spoke up. "Well. She's a treat."

"Tell me about it," he shuddered. "I've seen some bad bedside manner, but that was... wow."

"Yeah... sorry about that." Annie ducked her head apologetically. "I didn't realize. I thought she was some normal doc. She didn't even look at your injuries!"

"Probably a good thing. She might've started dissecting me..."

They emerged into the dining room and found the others already assembled. Major Geoffries, Nick, Jerry, and Gram Gram were already seated at the large table. The rest of the soldiers and cats were scattered about the room, filling whatever space they could find given the limited space at the table.

"There you are!" Gram Gram smiled at the pair. "I hope we didn't interrupt anything."

"Just some crazy doctor running experiments on me..." Chad sighed, settling into a seat next to Nick. He belatedly realized that he hadn't actually washed up or even changed.

Whoops. Hopefully no one notices too much.

"The one command sent along?" Geoffrey nodded. "I haven't met her, but I heard she's... eccentric."

"That's puttin' it kindly," Annie muttered. "By the way, who's the blue guy?"

After a quick round of introductions, Gram Gram began passing around the food -- tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

Did it make Chad feel like he was a kid again? Of course. Did he care? Not in the slightest.

Everyone dug in gratefully, even the Major. Nick himself eyed the soup and sandwich with obvious suspicion, but upon taking a nibble, quickly devoured his portion. Most of them ended up going back for seconds. Luckily, Gram Gram had the foresight to prepare food for the small army they now housed. Based on the blissful looks of the soldiers around the room, it was well worth it.

"Would anyone like some tea?" The elderly woman stood as the meal finished.

"Yes, please." Jerry perked up. "What are you planning to brew?"

"Well, I have this wonderful herbal blend with apricots and peaches. I would brew a jasmine, but I'm afraid the caffeine will keep me up all evening..."

"I'll take some as well," Geoffries said.

After a few other choruses of agreement from around the room, the woman smiled. "Goodness. I may have to brew a few pots. Anyone else?"

Chad elbowed Nick in the side. "You like tea?"

"What is tea?" The elf frowned. "I am unfamiliar with the word. Is it similar to the soup?"

"Kind of, but worse. It's gross leaf juice. For some reason, people like it."

"It is not gross leaf juice," Jerry sighed. "It is a classy beverage that draws flavor and useful compounds out of dried herbs."

"...Right. Which are leaves," Chad pressed.

"That doesn't make it gross. Besides, this is a fruit tea anyway."

"Why would I drink that when I can just drink fruit juice? It tastes way better, you know."

Nick interrupted their arguing with a question. "Dried leaves? You consume plants for nourishment? I see that this place is abundant with them, but…"

"Uh, yeah? I mean, what did you think the food was?" Chad asked with confusion.

The elf's eyes widened. "I… didn't think about it. We cultivate only plants that are useful for medicine or other stimulating compounds at home. Killing creatures for food is far more efficient than growing plants."

"Well, not here." Chad shrugged. "Though don't get me wrong, I appreciate a good steak anyday.

As Nick considered his latest revelation, Jerry gave a shrug. "Regardless, you should try it. Tea is a wonderful thing, despite what some people think."

"I..." Nick hesitated. "I will accept whatever I am offered. I am under your care."

A few minutes later, Gram Gram made the rounds with a tray full of steaming teacups. "Here you are, sweetheart. Be careful, it's hot."

Nick gave her a deep bow, clutching the orangeish brew between long-fingered hands. Following Jerry's example, he took a careful sip before blinking in surprise. "This is... excellent. How... how can simple food and drink be this delicious?"

Jerry shot Chad a smug smile. For his part, Chad just shook his head in dismay. "Really? I thought I'd have someone on my side this time..."

"Oh, I'm glad you like it," Gram Gram called. "It's old, so it may have lost a little flavor. Why, my late husband used to bring this back from his trips to Brazil, of all places..."

Nick continued to sip in wonder as the old woman rambled on with her story. Now that their bellies were full, the conversation started up in full swing, with Chad giving his friends a recap of the Tortimer fight and talking about his new skills. Eventually, he looked over to notice the alien staring at his empty cup with disappointment.

"You want more?" Chad asked.

"...I cannot impose," Nick averted his gaze.

"Oh, yes you can." Chad leaned over and grabbed the teapot, pouring Nick a fresh cup. "Here you go. Drink up, weirdo."

"There's plenty more where that came from, as well." Jerry stood and crossed toward the kitchen's tea cabinet. "There's quite the variety."

Nick bounded to his feet, joining Jerry with excitement. It made Chad chuckle. "They're getting along well, huh?"

Annie shook her head in wonder. "I was thinkin' the same thing. Jerry does like his tea... Say, do you think your new friend knows what music is?"

"Of course," Chad scoffed. "He has to. What kind of place doesn't have music?"

"The same kind that apparently doesn't have plants or mercy?" She shrugged. "I mean, maybe I'm wrong. But it doesn't exactly seem like he's coming from the friendliest place.

Chad watched as Nick held a tea bag in one hand, then pulled a peach pit from thin air with the other. "Woah. That's a neat trick."

"What?" Annie followed his gaze. "Where'd he get that?"

"Dunno. Yo, Nick! You been picking fruit while we weren't looking?"

The elf glanced back with a grin. "One of my traits is Seed Vault. I can store the seeds of any plant I've come into contact with."

"Really? Damn, that's pretty cool!" Chad grinned. "Can you just grow a peach tree now?"

"Possibly." The kid reached down to a jar at his hip, popping the top off. The earthy aroma of fresh soil wafted out of it. Tucking the peach pit inside, Nick closed his eyes for a moment.

A green shoot popped out from the jar's mouth, quickly reaching upward and unfurling its leaves. After only a handful of seconds, he held the beginnings of a sapling in one hand.

The whole room stared at him. Nick opened his eyes, then shrank back from the attention. "I, ah... my apologies. I..."

"Dude. That's awesome."

Nick blinked. "Really?"

"Of course it is!" Jerry exclaimed. "You can just do that?!"

The alien was suddenly swarmed with questions from all sides about his skills. Major Geoffries crossed his arms in thought.

"Chadwick?"

"Hmm?"

"I seem to recall that this bunker has a greenhouse. Do you have any objection to our new friend here commandeering it?"

Shoot, he's right! That's perfect!

"Of course not!" He shot the Major a thumbs up. "Heck, he can grow stuff outside too. Maybe he can build a house!"

"...That's a fair point." Geoffries nodded. "There may be other ways to leverage those abilities of his. Though they could be dangerous, too..."

"It'll be fine," Chad waved the concern off. "Nick's a good kid. He's been nothing but awesome so far."

"You're way too trusting," Squawkers muttered. "Seriously. Has the idea of betrayal never crossed your mind?"

Chad just shrugged. Of course it has. I'm not a complete idiot. But why worry about things that could happen? Better to think about what is happening right now.

"...Hope for the best, expect the worst," Chad said. "I've got the best part down, so you gotta help me with the worst. You are the man with the plan, after all!"

"I suppose..." Squawkers seemed to roll his eyes. "Plans to thwart an assassination plot aren't really my specialty, though."

"Good thing that's not gonna happen, then!"

After a few minutes, the Major eventually pulled Nick away to show him his new space. Chad followed along, eager to see the elf's reaction.

"A green-house?" He frowned, tilting his head. "What is the purpose of a home of such a specific color?

"Well, it's not actually green," Chad explained. "It's because you grow plants in it, and plants are usually green. So greenhouse."

Nick's eyes widened. "A place for the express purpose of growing plants? Beyond just the ground outside? But why?"

"Yup!" He gave the slack-jawed youth a toothy grin. "It's usually for more finicky stuff. Not everything likes how hot it gets during summer around here. And we aren't using it, so why don't you?"

They stepped into the sterile white room, its interior aglow with growth lights. Rows upon rows of tables, tubs, and tubes with holes in them spread out before the men.

"Now, my understanding is that this equipment is all hydroponic," Major Geoffries began. "It's not the soil you may be used to. You may be able to grow things above ground, but you'll be safer from attack down here. Easier to keep an eye on, too."

Chad stepped inside to take a closer look, only to see that Nick wasn't following. He had fallen to his knees at the threshold, stupefied.

"Er, Nick buddy? You ok?"

The elf barked a laugh. "Ok? Ok? I'm... I couldn't be happier. Of all the places I could have been sent, I find myself in paradise."

For a while, the elf simply sat there dumbstruck. Chad and the Major waited, watching as his shoulders shook with laughter or sobs -- it was hard to tell. But eventually, Nick raised his head, meeting Chad's gaze steadily. In it, the arm wrestler saw a familiar sentiment reflected. Steely determination.

"I want to help you save this world."

0