Chapter 3: Forest of Death
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3: Forest of Death

Rafael stirred, opening his eyes to a harsh dawn that unfolded a disheartening scene. His camp, once teeming with life, now lay stripped of its essence. The food, bags, tent, and the very remnants of the fire that had offered solace—all gone. It was as if a malevolent force had meticulously erased every trace of his presence. The air carried an unsettling emptiness, and the silence was deafening.

Recollections of cherished camping experiences with family and friends flooded Rafael's thoughts, tinged with nostalgia. The camaraderie, the laughter, and the shared warmth around the crackling fire were now distant echoes. The void left by their absence seemed to grow with every passing moment.

With a deep sigh, Rafael began his internal inventory—a desperate assessment of what remained in this now desolate space. The pang of hunger underscored his immediate needs: food, water, and firewood. Yet, in this inhospitable realm, even the familiar landscape had turned alien.

As he gathered the remnants of his essentials—knife, ropes, and empty bottles—he marveled at their resilience amidst the vanishing world around him. Last night's hearty meal had been but a fleeting respite, and hunger clung to him relentlessly.

Determined, Rafael set out in search of sustenance, his journey guided by the trusty arrow marks he had left the day before. The forest, once a familiar companion, now harbored a sense of unpredictability. He noticed an abundance of firewood but a stark absence of other signs of life.

Amidst the desolation, an uncharted cave loomed before him—a dark maw in the heart of the wilderness.

Rafael: "This was not here yesterday."

The growl that resonated from within sent shivers down Rafael's spine, a primal instinct urging him away. The decision was made—no cave exploration, regardless of the mysteries it held.

Returning to his intended path, Rafael couldn't shake the unease that lingered. The beastly growl echoed in his consciousness, a haunting reminder of unseen dangers. The clearing, where the enigmatic all-fruit tree stood, brought a momentary reprieve. Vigilance compelled him to scan the surroundings repeatedly, ensuring the absence of the baby lionel bird.

Rafael: "Today is my lucky day, as far as luck goes."

Ascending the colossal tree, Rafael faced a surreal bounty—an arboreal haven teeming with fruits of unimaginable variety. His hands gripped as many as they could hold, and he descended, the sweet scent of the fruits wafting through the air. Munching on the gathered chowder, he marveled at their flavor and texture.

Rafael: "Umm, umm, these are really good, and gods, I was starving."

Yet, hunger was insatiable. The rhythmic pattern of gathering, eating, and hunger returning persisted. Rafael found himself immersed in the ritual of survival, driven by a force beyond his control.

The echoes of his father's camping lessons resurfaced as Rafael mimicked the triangular arrangement of firewood. The smiling face of his father, framed by gold-rimmed spectacles, appeared in his mind—a source of wisdom he had once begrudgingly received. Now, every lesson proved invaluable.

With a makeshift fire illuminating the surroundings, Rafael succumbed to sleep's embrace, enveloped by the warmth of the flames. His mother's soft voice echoed in his mind, a comforting lullaby guiding him into the ephemeral realm of dreams.

Dreamless hours passed, and Rafael awoke as the sun began its descent. Disoriented, he questioned the duration of his slumber. The world, cloaked in the dimming light, beckoned him back to the enigmatic all-fruit tree.

With each step through the encroaching darkness, Rafael retraced his path. The journey to and from the tree unfolded without incident, the forest embracing its nocturnal shroud. By the time he reached his camp, the inky veil of night had descended.

Once again, Rafael succumbed to weariness, settling on the ground near the dwindling fire. As he drifted into the realm of dreams, a guttural groan—a haunting intrusion—pierced the stillness of the night, marking the beginning of an unforeseen chapter.

In the embrace of the night, a spectral plea cut through the stillness like a knife.

Mysterious voice: “Help Me!!”

A ghostly whisper, a haunting melody in the heart of darkness, repeated its ethereal plea.

Mysterious voice: “Help me!”

Mysterious voice: “HELP ME!!”

The night unfolded with urgency, Rafael awaking with a jerk, the desperate cries resonating in the core of his being.

Mysterious voice: “HEEEELLLPPP MMMMEE!!!”

Instincts surged, prompting him to rush towards the voice. Yet, a fleeting hesitation arrested his impulsive stride—a cautious acknowledgment that mythological beasts could cloak themselves in human pleas, luring the unsuspecting into their deadly snares.

Rafael: “What should I do? What should I do? What should I do? I really, really don’t want to be someone’s midnight snack, but I also don’t want someone to die because I was too afraid to go and help.”

A symphony of caution and compassion played in Rafael's mind. Carefully, he advanced toward the voice, each step shrouded in the moonlit night, minimizing any noise that might betray his presence.

Mysterious voice: “HELP ME, PLEASE! I AM GOING TO DIE! HELP ME.”

The urgency in the voice tugged at Rafael's conscience. A silent debate unfolded—rush and risk becoming prey, or proceed with caution, preserving his own chance at survival.

Rafael's progression was agonizingly slow, a deliberate crawl toward the mysterious voice. Clutching a sturdy piece of wood, he navigated the darkness guided only by the luminescent full moon. Remarkably, his vision cut through the night, revealing the path ahead with crystalline clarity.

Reaching the source, he discovered it led to a cavern's entrance. The haunting voice echoed from within, yet the cave's depths remained concealed. Cautious patience prevailed, and Rafael chose to retreat to his camp, leaving the enigma unresolved.

Silent as a specter, he retraced his steps to the safety of his camp. Though his cautious mind found solace in prioritizing self-preservation, a nagging guilt lingered for not fully investigating the mysterious plea. Torn between safety and responsibility, Rafael wrestled with the complexities of the night.

Disturbed and restless, Rafael managed to steal moments of sleep, only to be roused by the dawn's gentle embrace. What awaited him, however, defied the boundaries of disbelief. Beside his dwindling fire, an ominous message sprawled in the soil—'SMART KID' accompanied by a colossal claw mark.

Frantically scanning the surroundings revealed no presence, leaving Rafael perplexed. Examining the immense claw print, he puzzled over the incongruity—a bear capable of spelling English.

Rafael: "This is definitely from a bear. But a bear who could spell English? What is happening here?"

Caution loomed over every step as Rafael acknowledged he was being watched, hunted even and he very much wanted to stay alive. Armed with a mere wooden stick, he began the futile task of sharpening it, aware of its futility against the looming threat.

A gnawing emptiness in his stomach spurred him into action. The depleting water and dwindling firewood reserves accentuated the urgency of his mission. Gathering resources became his purpose, a ritualistic dance through the forest: food, water, firewood, and then food once more.

Rafael: "This should be enough to last me through today."

Mindful of the dangers below, Rafael decided he would not sleep on the forest floor again. Reminiscing the lessons with his mother, he crafted a makeshift hammock, hanging above the ground as a feeble shield against the unknown. The night unfolded as a perpetual vigil, Rafael gazing at the star-strewn sky, lost in contemplation.

Rafael made his way down the tree and lit a campfire before climbing up again. He was still not tired, neither did he feel safe enough to drift off to sleep, so he laid there, blankly staring at the fire, remembering the night of the camp, when it all started, thinking about his mom, his dad and his friends. He wondered what were they doing, do they even realize he is missing and would he be able to see them again?

At the break of dawn, the inconceivable occurred. Trees crashed around him, punctuated by a guttural roar. The brown bear, colossal and menacing, emerged. Astonishingly, it spoke, the words comprehensible to Rafael.

Bear: “Run if you can, puny human."

Fear gripped Rafael's heart as the bear left an ominous proclamation in the soil, foretelling a relentless pursuit.

Rafael descended from the tree with desperate haste, fleeing the looming threat of the monstrous bear. The chase unfolded in a frenzied ballet of fear and survival. The colossal creature pursued with relentless determination, its massive claws thudding ominously behind Rafael.

A sudden, powerful swipe sent Rafael sprawling to the ground. He crawled backward, his eyes locking onto the creature's gaping maw, a cavernous expanse lined with rows of razor-sharp teeth. The bear, an embodiment of primal terror, emanated a predatory hunger.

Bear: “Run! There is no fun in killing someone who had given up.”

Rafael, got up, he couldn’t comprehend what happened, but right now he didn’t need to. Right now, he needed to run and that was what he did. He ran and ran, he could still feel the bear, right behind him and he would occasionally lunge in his direction, his massive jaws would fall a few inches behind, and he would lag behind, only to catch up again and lunge again. With every jump the beast was getting closer. Rafael wasn’t his meal; he was his plaything. The bear was enjoying his hunt.

Rafael knew he didn’t have much time. The next lunge would be the last one. It would finally catch up and then it would be all over. He felt the thump, thump and then the jump.

He knew this time it would not miss. He would finally get ahold of him and this time Rafael would die, there was no one to save him and this would be it. But he didn’t want to die, Rafael felt a burning desire inside of him to live, and as if it had sparked something within him. His heart beat raced, his vision became blurry, his breathing paced but his body went still.

Rafael: “Run run run, damn it, run.”

His body moved of its own accord, defying the desperate pleas of his mind. The spear thrust forward, piercing the bear's open maw. The beast shrieked in agony, attempting to close its jaws on the intruding weapon. Rafael felt the searing pain as teeth sank into his arm, a gruesome symbiosis of predator and prey.

In the throes of agony, Rafael clung to the spear, his resolve unyielding. The bear's eyes lost their fierce gleam, and with a deathly shudder, it collapsed, life extinguished.

Rafael, his arm mangled and bleeding, screamed in pain. As he withdrew his hand from the bear's mouth, a mystifying event unfolded— the massive creature disintegrated before his eyes.

Rafael: “What in the hell is happening now?”

The realization of his victory was overshadowed by his dire state. Blood loss overwhelmed him, and he crumpled to the forest floor, consciousness slipping away.

In a disorienting haze, Rafael awoke to an unfamiliar scene. Bound to a tree, he found himself surrounded by a group of formidable individuals. A makeshift gag stifled his attempts to communicate.

Rafael: “Ummm Ufff Umm.”

Among the group, a towering figure emerged—Jason. Blonde hair framed his stern face, a formidable presence exuding from his muscular frame.

Jason: “Sorry about the whole gag and tying, but we can’t really have you running around killing all of our prey. Who are you, how did you get here, and what are you doing here?”

Rafael: “mmmfff ummm ummmmm.”

Relief washed over Rafael as the gag vanished. Breathless, he began to recount his inexplicable journey, his encounter with Gorion, and the tumultuous events that led to the demise of the spirit bear.

Jason: “My name is Jason, I am one of the seven generals of the magical dimension of Alexandria, the rest are the company of soldiers that I am here to train.”

As Rafael absorbed the revelation, Jason’s commanding presence eased the tension. The bonds dissipated with a mere snap of Jason's fingers, and Rafael, now free, felt a glimmer of hope in this bewildering magical realm.

Jason: “You said you were brought here by a guy who promised to teach you magic? I have a pretty good idea though, but still, what was his name?”

Rafael: “Gorion.”

Jason: "Haha, I thought so. So, the old man is still kicking?"

Rafael: “You know him?”

Jason: “Know him? Almost everyone in Alexandria knows Gorion; I know him on a more personal level. I was one of his students as well.”

Rafael: “Oh!”

Gorion's reputation preceded him, casting an enigmatic aura. Jason's assurance, however, brought a semblance of reassurance to Rafael's bewildering journey.

Jason: “His methods may seem crude at most times, but the results are promising. You are in good hands, my friend.”

Around the blazing fire, conversations unfolded, forging connections between disparate lives brought together by unforeseen circumstances. A bowl of stew passed among them, a communal meal in the heart of an otherworldly forest.

Gorion: “So, I turn my back around one minute, and you are already here trying to spoil my student?”

Rafael turned, his eyes capturing the essence of the familiar, raspy voice that had guided and, at times, confounded him in the past days. Before his comprehension could catch up, a startling event transpired. Jason, seemingly propelled by an unseen force, collided face-first into a tree with bone-crushing impact.

Rafael: “ARE YOU INSANE, GORION? WHAT KIND OF A MONSTER BEHAVES LIKE THII….?”

Once more, Rafael's words were swallowed by the surreal spectacle. Jason hurtled through the air, a forceful trajectory that ended with Gorion, struggling but resilient, halting the airborne collision.

Gorion: “You have grown, Jason.”

Jason: “Oh, don’t mess with me. Just what kind of monster are you? I have spent every day in training ever since you recruited me, but I still am no closer to your power today than I was then.”

Gorion: “Haha! I am what I am, young one, and you really have grown.”

The unexpected reunion unfolded against the backdrop of a forest alive with secrets. Rafael's eyes darted between the two formidable figures, a witness to a confrontation that transcended mere physicality.

Jason: “Thank you, Gorion. It has been a long time, hasn’t it?”

Gorion: “It sure has.”

Jason: "Oh, Rafael, please be seated. I am touched by your concern, but me and Gorion always greet each other this way, to keep a measure of our strength. In all honesty, you do not need to worry about me. I am a general of Alexandria, the commander of the Army. I am not that easy to kill. Gorion, he isn’t just your everyday recruiter; he is Grand Master Gorion, meaning he is above the council he speaks of and is answerable only to the king himself.”

Rafael: “Oh! Oh, what!?”

The revelation of Gorion's elevated stature in the magical hierarchy left Rafael dumbfounded. The complexities of this magical dimension seemed to deepen with every passing moment.

Jason: “Haha, the look on your face is priceless. Gorion, would you please join us for supper?”

Gorion: “Of course, since you already have foiled my plans. By the way, what are you doing here, Jason? How are things going on the front lines?”

Jason: “Not so good, Gorion. I am here to train this squad for the battles at the front lines as well. We have lost quite a few soldiers in the last battle, and new ones are needed at the battlefront.”

Gorion: “New squad so soon? Didn’t you train one a couple of years ago?”

Jason: “Yes, they are all training squads of their own as well. The situation on the battlefront is dire, but a strange phenomenon seems to be happening. One that no one else is willing to notice. The attacks seem much more frequent, much more organized, as if somehow planned. We are losing more soldiers than ever, and the number of enemies per attack has also decreased. It seems after such a long time, the void dwellers have finally found a leader, one which possesses intelligence.”

Gorion: “Are you aware of what you are speaking, Jason? What you are saying, if you don’t have any proof of it, may be a crime as big as blasphemy. But the risk of it is too big. If your suspicions are correct, then we could be facing eminent destruction; we could be fighting a war that we have no scope of winning.”

Jason: “Hmm.”

Gorion: “The situation is dire indeed. I will try to talk to the council and see if I can get some sense into them. Give me a few days, till then, you take care of Rafael. I will travel back to Alexandria and see what I can do.”

Rafael, sensing the gravity of their discourse, silently consumed his dinner, absorbing the weight of their words. As Gorion prepared to depart on an urgent mission, Rafael found himself entrusted to Jason's care.

Gorion: “Rafael, you accompany the young general for a while. While I go and settle some urgent business till the time.”

Rafael: “Have a safe journey, old man.”

Gorion: “You are a thousand years too young to worry about me.”

Jason: “Looks like you are stuck with us for a while, my friend. Rest well, for tomorrow we go hunting.”

1