Chapter 2
174 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I was having a pleasant dream, running across the city with my friends, when a woman's voice infiltrated my consciousness. It was unimaginably beautiful and something about the voice screamed power, that the being speaking was incredibly powerful.
 
Ah, poor dear... doesn't even realize that it's in the wrong body. I'll fix that as I bring you over to this reality. This may hurt.”
 
I was confused about the being's words but before I could think about it further, a searing pain erupted throughout my body. It felt as though my every nerve was on fire and I screamed. I screamed again as the pain continued to rip through my body.
 
I could hear birdsong as I woke, and my throat felt raw. The dream had been real, then. Thinking back to what the voice had said left me confuse. A different reality? A different body?
 
My body did feel different... I opened my eyes, sitting up to examine my body and my surroundings. My long hair drifted down, now pure white, distracting me for a second. My hair was a lot longer than it used to be, it'll take awhile to get used to. My body itself was definitely different. For one thing, I had breasts. I could tell I had also lost the downstairs equipment.
 
The voice had the sense to change my clothing, too. The clothing I'm wearing was now some brand street wear that I didn't recognize and I could feel that I was wearing a bra and what I assumed to be panties. It felt weird but also right somehow. Huh. Gonna need to reflect on that.
Examining my body and the changes that had been bestowed upon me made me come upon another realization about it. The color of my skin had changed to a pure white color. Like snow or a blank sheet of white paper. That was kind of trippy.
 
Wait. The voice had said new body, but the voice had also said new reality...
 
I looked up to examine my new surroundings. It looked like a normal park, at first glance. There was a duck pond, some trees, and I saw a playground on the other side of the park, with a city beyond the limits of the park. People were milling about the park, too, but there was something strange about them.
 
Now, I knew I wasn't a huge nerd or anything but, I swear that I could recognize some elves, goblins, and even an orc or three.
 
Well, fuck me. This really is a different reality. My sister. My friends. Gone.
 
Panic started to rise in me. My heart beating faster and faster.
 
Ba-dump. Ba-dump. Ba-dump.
 
Ok. No. Calm down. Maybe they're here somewhere? Maybe I can find them. If this is another reality, then perhaps there's another version of them here that I can bond with? Grimacing, I felt slightly disgusted with myself. If they were here, and that's a big if, there's no telling if they would be the same people as back in my old world...
 
A pang of hurt, of loneliness, went through my chest as panic continued to rise. I closed my eyes, forcing myself to calm down before I had a full blown panic attack here in the park and someone came and talked to me.
 
I don't know quite how long I was there, calming myself. When I opened my eyes again, the light had changed to an early evening rather than the noon light that it had been before.
 
First thing's first, I wanna find out if my family is here. If so, then all will be good. If not.. Well, I'll have to decide what to do after. I'm sure that I can survive easily on the streets if I needed to. It wouldn't really be the first time, though it would be the first time I'd not have a place to go back to.
 
Nodding my head to myself, I stand up and brush myself off. Time to get moving. My first step is to find out where the fuck I am, which shouldn't be too hard. This world seems to be very similar to mine, so I assume that this world would have street signs telling where I am.
I started walking towards the nearest street corner, newfound purpose pushing me forward. I did my best to not stare at the unfamiliar races around me, though I found I got more than a few stares. Why? Is my new body- no, my new race, rarely seen? Is it odd to see people like me? I
will have to do some research.
 
I guess I need a to-do list. Hm.
  • Find my family and friends
  • Find information on my new race
  • Contemplate my new body.
I nodded as I created the list in my head. I'll just have to keep adding on to that as I move forward, trying to understand this new reality. Reaching the edge of the park, I pulled the gate open and stepped on to the sidewalk. My steps carried me easily towards the street corner and I can't help but feel good at the way my new body moves.
 
I got to the street corner and looked up at the sign. “I'm at the corner of Jameson and Robinson... I don't recall those ever being a street name, though. Maybe I should try to find a map? I guess I don't even really know where I am.” I muttered. Wait. Is that my voice? Soft and cute...
Don't get distracted, Ethan. Come on, focus.
 
I'll need to redo my to-do list.
  • Find out where I am.
  • Find my family and friends.
  • Find information on my new race.
  • Contemplate my new body and how I feel about it.
I think that was good. I think I could do number 4 while doing the others, though I don't think I should be splitting my attention. I'll have to do that when I have a moment of peace.
 
Where can I find more information on where I am? The internet, if it exists here. Patting my pockets, I find them empty. No phone, ID, or money, even. I sigh and can't help but feel frustrated. Ripped from my home and life, and The Great Disembodied Voice can't even be bothered to help me out in starting a new life here.
 
Fan-fucking-tastic.
 
A library, then. Asking for directions would be best... I don't want to spend hours searching for it.
 
“Hello? You're looking a bit lost. Are you alright?” A female voice from behind me asked. I turned to face the woman who the voice belonged to. A redheaded woman with green eyes, her pupils vertical slits like a cat, a light dusting of freckles across her cheeks, stood watching me.
 
She was gorgeous. “Um, actually, would you please be able to point me to the library? I'm not from around here, and am quite lost.” I asked her, politely.
 
“Ah, of course. The library isn't too far away. I can guide you there, or give you directions. My name's Quin'ta'leth, but you can just call me Quinn. What's your name?” Quinn brushed her hair from her face, and I noticed that her ears were pointed slightly. So, she's an elf then?
 
I suppose the name of Ethan is not a good one for a girl. Fuck! I didn't expect to have to think about this. I should have though. What a stupid oversight. I can beat myself up later though, I need to think about a name. Thinking quickly, I chose a name that I had always loved.
 
“My name is Kai. A guide would be very helpful.” Smiling softly and feeling embarrassed, I look down to hide the blood rushing to my face.
 
“Aw, how cute! Okay, a guide it is. Come along then, Kai. This way to the library.” She started walking away at a brisk pace. I struggled to follow, as she was much taller than me. Huh. How did I miss that?
 
It took the better part of half an hour but Quinn eventually got me to the library. She talked a lot about It was a very large building, grand in design with marble supports, looking like something out of Rome. “Chicago Public Library” was across the top of the building.
 
Phew, that's good news. I'm still in Chicago, at least. I must've made some audible noise as Quinn looked back at me.
 
“You alright?” She smiled at me and reached for my hand, but stopped herself.
 
“Yeah, yeah. Just grateful to be here. I don't know how long it would've taken to get here otherwise, I really appreciate your help.” I smiled back at her, shyly. She was so nice, but why?
 
“Since you're new in town, here”, She reached for my hand again, and grabbed it confidently this time. She brought out a sharpie and wrote a number on my hand. I memorized it as Quinn continued to speak, “This is my ark-ID. Call or message me if you have any questions or need help with anything.”
 
“That's sweet, thank you.” I waved to her as I walked up the steps to the library. She waved back and left, walking back down the road. I watched her go and then turned to the large doors.
 
I approached the doors, opened them, and marveled at the library. It was grandiose, with some sort of crystal lantern lighting the library.
 
There was tons of books on immense shelves, ladders attached to most shelves to reach the higher ones. There was a desk maybe 50 feet in front of the entrance I had walked in, with a grandmotherly looking woman sitting behind it. Her hair was in a bun and she definitely had old lady glasses and clothing. She looked up as I entered and waited to speak until I had gotten closer.
 
“How can I help you, dear changeling child? Quite rare, to see one of you so openly displaying your heritage. Be careful.”
 
I blinked, processing what the woman was saying. I was a changeling then, and she was warning me about showing my heritage... That doesn't bode well.
 
“Well, I guess if you have any books on the history of Earth and Changelings, that would be a good place to start. I've kinda lost my memory, so I want to get to know the history of where I am and who I am. Maybe it'll jump start my memory.” I say, slowly, proud of coming up with the lie on the spot.
 
She looked like she didn't believe me, but she waved her hand and a few books flew from distant shelves. Woah. Magic? Like actual, real, magic? That's incredible! I wonder how I could learn some magic.
 
“Okay dearie, did you want to check these out or just read them here in the library?” The old lady smiled and asked.
 
“I'll read them here, thank you.” My reply came quick and easy, not wanting to actually check them out with nowhere to go. The woman handed me the books and pointed to me a reading area.
11