Chapter 9: Back to Divine Sword Sect
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Once morning arrived, Luo Xue slowly woke up to the sounds of rustling leaves. In the courtyard, the willow tree by the window swayed, scattering its leaves as the gentle breeze blew. Sunlight pierced through the paper windows, casting soft shadows on the ground. The scent of medicinal herbs had dissipated overnight, leaving only traces of incense in the air. 

Luo Xue sat up, feeling drowsy. Without thinking, she reached for her sword, only to realise it wasn’t there next to the pillow. With a sigh, she pulled the blanket away and got up, making her way towards the nearby mirror.

Standing before a mirror, a basin of water, fresh towels, and clean clothes were placed neatly on the table. Without delay, Luo Xue quickly washed up and changed. Once she was done, her ribbon, which had been lazing around on her pillow, flew over and neatly tied up her hair. Her ribbon’s unexpected thoughtfulness made her chuckle.

As Luo Xue stepped out of the room, she was greeted by a maidservant patiently waiting for her. Then, with careful hands, she served Luo Xue a steaming bowl of tonic, which Luo Xue downed in a single gulp. When Luo Xue handed her the empty bowl, she asked, “Do you know where I can find Xiao Yu?”

The maidservant replied, “Answering to Miss Luo, my young lady is at Peony Courtyard. Allow this servant to lead you there.”

As Luo Xue got closer, she could faintly hear the voices of two people engaging in a heated argument — one with a low, intimidating tone, and the other with a high-pitched indignation.

“Dad, please. Give me the opportunity to become a cultivator.”

“No,” Pei Guang refused. “Are you hoping to make the whole family worried sick about you again?”

“But dad, you’re not listening to me.” Pei Yufeng continued, “Having gone through so much, I now understand just how crucial it is for me to have the strength to keep us safe. Not only that, should I become a successful cultivator, the problem of our family’s weak bloodline will be resolved by me. I can at least accomplish something for our family.”

“No. Absolutely not. Whatever you hope to achieve can only be done if you survive. It’s too dangerous and I will not risk your life.”

Pei Yufeng insisted, “Dad! I’m being completely serious. You know I can’t keep depending on you forever.”

At this point, Pei Guang had lost both his patience and interest in listening to Pei Yufeng. He turned away from her, wanting to leave, when Pei Yufeng suddenly took hold of his arm to prevent him from leaving. In a fit of anger, he threw her off, but thankfully, Luo Xue caught her in time. When he saw Luo Xue had arrived, a look of surprise crossed his face before embarrassment quickly took over. Without saying a word to them, he stormed off.

Pei Yufeng stood frozen in disbelief, unable to comprehend what had just happened. She couldn’t believe her dad, who had always cherished her, would act with such anger and dismiss her like that. On the verge of tears, she glanced at Luo Xue, determined to regain her composure. She apologised, forcing a smile that appeared graceful.

“I’m sorry for letting you witness something so unsightly.”

Luo Xue shook her head, smiling softly. “It’s fine. It isn’t your fault.”

As though her words had impacted her, Pei Yufeng burst into tears.

Pei Yufeng snivelled, “…For a long time, it has been a lingering thought in my mind, one that I hesitated to speak about. Seeing you defeat those enemies gave me the courage to pursue cultivation, as well as the determination to carve a path of my own.”

Listening to her earnest words, Luo Xue used her sleeve to dry Pei Yufeng’s tears. She asked, “If you do cultivate, what do you want to achieve after that?”

“I want to be able to take charge of my future, and support my family in ways I couldn’t before. Is that too much to ask?”

“No, your ambition is very admirable.”

Seeing Pei Yufeng’s tears stop, Luo Xue smiled. She held her hands and said, “Close your eyes, relax your nerves, and do not resist me at all. Only open them when I tell you to do so.”

“Why?” Pei Yufeng asked.

“It’s a surprise.”

Once Pei Yufeng’s eyes were closed, Luo Xue sent her spiritual energy into her body, while using her perception to explore her physique. She reached the inner depths of her body and found her spiritual roots. But sadly, it was a spiritual root of four attributes — neither good nor bad.

Before Luo Xue could withdraw her perception, she felt something stirred within the depths of Pei Yufeng’s body. She searched around and noticed the meridians were helping Pei Yufeng to absorb more than the usual amount of spiritual energy from the surroundings. This detail brought a pleasant surprise to Luo Xue.

Although Pei Yufeng has yet to learn cultivation properly, her body possessed a natural aptitude for it.

Luo Xue pondered. Perhaps Pei Yufeng indeed has the talent to become a cultivator.

“I’m done. You may open your eyes now.”

Pei Yufeng opened her eyes and saw Luo Xue smiling. Surprised, she wanted to let go, only to realise she was holding a white jade token in the shape of a sword, with the words “Divine Sword Sect” and “Luo” engraved on it.

What does this mean? Pei Yufeng felt confused, yet also hopeful.

Luo Xue said, “If you find yourself still wanting to embark on the path of cultivation, come to Divine Sword Sect and show this token in two months’ time. By using this token, you can skip all the formalities and assessments and join the sect as an outer disciple. However, whether you will be chosen by a master, that’s up to fate.”

“If you have no desire to pursue that choice, that is perfectly acceptable as well. At that time, my sect will be accepting new disciples, but only the top thirty will be chosen. If you pass all the assessments, you will join the sect as an inner disciple, or a personal disciple if you are highly favoured by a master. Regardless, both choices can help make your wish a reality.”

Hearing her explanations, Pei Yufeng was left astonished, but then she beamed. Grateful beyond words, she threw herself into an embrace, tightly holding onto Luo Xue. She was so overwhelmed by happiness that she failed to realise that not any ordinary disciple could offer such a token.

To Pei Yufeng, be it becoming an outer, inner, or personal disciple, she was determined to become a strong cultivator.

“Xiao Xue, thank you for believing in me. Thank you for giving me this chance.”

Later on, Luo Xue and Pei Yufeng went out to the city to enjoy themselves. Upon learning that his sister was going out, Pei Yuchang immediately tagged along, bringing at least three more guards to protect them. Xie Junmo wanted to join in as well, but his injuries reopened. He had no choice but to stay behind and recuperate.

Pei Yufeng eagerly dragged Luo Xue into every store imaginable, from boutiques to restaurants, pharmacies and even a weapons store.

Pei Yufeng wanted Luo Xue to experience all the exciting sights and vibrance of this city. Throughout the entire trip, Luo Xue couldn’t stop smiling. Being so engrossed in her cultivation, the thought of leisure never once came across her mind.

By the time night came, Pei Yufeng was feeling reluctant to part ways with Luo Xue.

“Must you go so soon?” Pei Yufeng clasped Luo Xue’s hands, unwilling to let go. “Can’t you stay just a little longer?”

“I’m sorry, but I can’t. I have already delayed my return just for you.”

Sniffling, Pei Yufeng released her hands. “I know. It’s sad how quickly time goes by when you’re having fun with a good friend…”

“Before you go, take this.” Pei Yufeng handed Luo Xue a blue pouch. “Inside it, you will find all the treasures my family and I wanted to give you. There’s also the dark green sword which you seemed to like so, I also bought that for you. Please accept them.”

Instantly, Luo Xue felt the weight of the pouch became as heavy as the overwhelming gratitude they had for her. Taking out the sword from the pouch, she held a blade that was as thin as a rapier, yet as sharp as a katana. No intricate carvings adorned it. Instead, it glowed with a modest, dark green hue infused with ink.

Luo Xue loved it.

Hanging the sword to her waist, Luo Xue returned the pouch to Pei Yufeng. She said, “Thank you, but this sword is good enough for me.”

Seeing her smile, Pei Yufeng also lost the will to pressure her into accepting everything. She kept the pouch, watching as Luo Xue turned to leave.

Just as Luo Xue was about to go, Pei Yufeng once again reached out and grabbed her sleeve. She asked, “Before you leave, do you want to see him?”

Contrary to Pei Yufeng’s expectations, Luo Xue had long seen through her attempts to keep her around. Patting her hair softly, Luo Xue shook her head with a smile.

“There are pressing matters that I have to return to my sect for. We shall meet again when fate allows it.”

Since Luo Xue has made her intention so clear, Pei Yufeng was left with no methods to keep her here.

Seeing Luo Xue make her way closer to the door, Pei Yufeng’s tears started to flow, and she suddenly shouted, “Xiao Xue, wait for me, you hear me? In two months’ time, I will enter your sect and have you to accompany me everywhere! Let’s study and have fun together, okay?”

Luo Xue chuckled, giving Pei Yufeng a nod before bidding her farewell. As she left, she couldn’t help wondering how her dear friend would respond once she discovered she wasn’t just a disciple of the sect, but a master instead.

After departing from the Central Dragon City, Luo Xue flew on her sword for two consecutive days before finally reaching the Divine Sword Sect. The moment she arrived at the sect’s boundary, she breathed in the fresh air before she continued directly towards her destination.

Meanwhile, on the plateau where the portal to the punishment realm was located, there were groups of outer and inner disciples standing around, gossiping in hushed voices.

Today marked the sixth day since Luo Xue declared the day of her exit from the Thousand Illusion Beast Realm, and her constant absence led everyone to assume she was dead. Despite the predictable outcome, many still visit here, not to witness Luo Xue’s feat, but to secretly admire the attractive disciples from the Flaming Flower peak.

“Master, must we waste our time waiting for some dead girl? The beasts could have devoured her body completely, leaving nothing behind.”

Yun Meixin scowled as her concentration was broken for the third time today. The constant noise around her was driving her crazy, and her patience was wearing thin. They have been coming over for several days, and it was clear to them that Luo Xue’s absence meant she was no longer alive. After all, how could a mere cultivator, at the Foundation Establishment realm, survive in an environment where the powerful beasts kill you in a single strike? Not even her master could do it with confidence.

Hua Yang kept a straight face as she reminded, “Meixin, you should keep your voice down. Sect Master will be arriving shortly, and we don’t want you to get into trouble for what you just said. He has already given an order for all those involved in the incident to come here, and this includes the people from the Unseen Ghost peak too.”

Hua Yang glanced at Sun Yi, who was standing in the far corner, wearing a similar scowling expression. He, too, felt displeased about having to spend time on this meaningless wait.

“Ugh, fine!” Yun Meixin grumbled. “After this week, we are putting an end to this. I want to focus on gaining my sword’s approval, but its stubbornness is making me feel difficult.”

Yun Meixin touched the thin silver sword at her hips, but the icy chill from the sword caused her to flinch. Little did she know, the sword didn’t like to be touched by someone unworthy.

Witnessing their interactions, Hua Yang sighed. Even after six months, she still couldn’t fathom how her disciple contracted such an unruly sword. In general, a spiritual sword that has been contracted would dutifully submit to its master. Yet, observing how the sword treats her disciple, it became obvious that this was an unusual scenario. Moreover, there was nothing she could do to help. The sword’s existence alone was more important than their lives, and any tampering with it could cause their demise.

Naturally, Hua Yang definitely wouldn’t dare to risk their lives.

As the clouds scattered into the orange-dyed sky, the mist lifted and the bells tolled, signifying the arrival of evening. Luo Bingyu, accompanied by some of the elders, had finally arrived.

At once, everyone cupped their hands, greeting Luo Bingyu.

Landing from his crane, Luo Bingyu ordered, “Inform me of the current situation now.”

In a swift manner, a group of robust cultivators, clad in white robes, responsible for investigating inside the punishment realm, approached him. They had just left the realm, and the investigation over the past several days had yielded the same results.

“Apologies to the Sect Master. We are still unsuccessful in locating Junior Xue.”

With an indifferent expression, Luo Bingyu cast a glance at the group, but the tightly clenched fists hidden in his sleeves revealed his inner turmoil. Despite knowing Luo Xue was alive, with her life tablet still intact, he couldn’t put down his worries until he saw her safe and sound. After a brief pause, he calmed down and asked, “Is that all you have to say?”

No doubt that Luo Bingyu was displeased by their answer. The group exchanged glances and lowered their heads, their bodies trembling slightly.

“…As we venture further into the forest, we notice an unusual trend. The beasts were significantly more restless, and would jump at any given opportunity to flee if they caught sight of us. Signs of violence were evident in almost every corner, and we highly suspect that there is a tremendously strong beast lurking inside.”

Luo Bingyu carefully observed the fearful expressions of the cultivators he had personally selected for the investigation, and he became baffled. Every person sent was at the very least in the Nascent Soul realm. So for them to show such fear, how terrifyingly strong must the beast be?

Perhaps somewhere between Soul Transformation and Soul Ascension, or even Ascendant realm.

Given the situation had turned dire, Luo Bingyu believed there was no longer any reason to delay. Every minute wasted is a minute he could have used to save Luo Xue. Although Luo Xue had already displayed her strong skill and reflexes, his impression of her remained largely unchanged. With the assumption she was still weak, he firmly believed that her safety must have been compromised. He couldn’t wait any longer.

“I see. I’ll just have to destroy it,” Luo Bingyu said coldly.

With a flick of his sleeve, Luo Bingyu teleported to the portal of the punishment realm. Before he could enter, Sun Yi blocked his path alongside his left-hand woman, Cai Ling.

Luo Bingyu commanded, “Get out of the way.”

“Sect Master, please reconsider your decision. It is important that we conduct a thorough investigation before you proceed impulsively,” Sun Yi said sternly.

Impulsive? Then, what about Luo Xue? Who’s going to answer to his sister if her dear disciple had just died like that?! Luo Bingyu’s enraged eyes blazed with fury, while his icy tone sent a chill down everyone’s backs.

“I’ve already listened to your nonsense and waited nearly a week. After six days without news, you, Sun Yi, have the audacity to ask me to be patient? Do you want to die?”

As a late-stage Ascendant realm cultivator, every word Luo Bingyu spoke was like knives cutting into everyone’s skins. In an instant, everyone fell to their knees, shivering as they bore his rage. While they understood his grief over losing a loved one, they were unwilling to let him, the strongest pillar of strength in their sect, to risk their life for an insignificant disciple.

Witnessing how Sun Yi’s face visibly blanched, with his mouth opening and closing, struggling to speak, Cai Ling couldn’t resist helping him, stepping up to speak. However, before she could even get a word out, Luo Bingyu interrupted her.

“Cai Ling, I expected more from you. If you continue in joining Sun Yi to stop me, then you better be prepared to die under my sword.”

With the threat hanging over her life, the remaining trace of sympathy in Cai Ling’s vanished. Even if she wanted help, she couldn’t. Not when he was much stronger than her.

Meanwhile, Hua Yang was secretly observing Luo Bingyu’s expression while she kept her head down. After Luo Ningyue’s sacrifice, it has been a long while since she had seen the sect master lose control. She was starting to ponder whether that girl would be the onset of a great change.

And a great change meant an unpredictable outcome…

A hint of uneasiness flashed in Hua Yang’s eyes.

With no objections left, Luo Bingyu could stop dawdling. Right as he was about to enter the portal, he heard a faint chuckle from behind, forcing him to pause in his step.

“Uncle Luo, don’t be so harsh. You’re going to scare them away.”

Luo Bingyu heard that familiar laughter and he turned around.

“Xue-er!”

1