Chapter 4: Thousand Illusion Beasts Realm
34 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Departing from the sect master’s peak to the portal of the punishment realm took half an hour. The quick trip was far from boring for Luo Xue, as many familiar sights gave her a feeling of nostalgia.

When she got there, many disciples were standing around, clearly awaiting her arrival. Most of them were outer disciples who had heard rumours from the inner disciples, and they were deeply curious about the looks of the person who wished to enter the punishment realm.

Standing before them was a young woman, clad in a dark green bamboo-patterned robe with a silver sword crest1A trademark accesory worn by the people exclusive to the Divine Sword Sect clipped on her shoulder. Her long, jet-black hair flowed down her back, tied with a matching green ribbon while on her arm, a blood-red bangle stood out against her fair skin. With a simple iron sword attached to her slim waist, there was no mistaking the identity of the infamous Luo Xue of the Formless Spring peak2One of the eight peaks in Divine Sword Sect.

Disregarding their inquisitive gaze, Luo Xue walked towards the four white-robed disciples3Disciples wearing white robes are under the Sect Master, Luo Bingyu, who were standing in front of the portal. Cupping her hands, she greeted them. “This disciple’s name is Luo Xue. May I be allowed to pass through?”

After scrutinising her from head to toe, one of them nodded his head, saying, “You may.”

They stepped aside, revealing the portal they were guarding. While walking past them, a person standing at the back slipped an item into her sleeve. Before she could question him, he turned away, behaving as if their exchange was meant to be a secret.

Luo Xue raised a brow and chose not to probe any further. Taking a careful look at the item, she noticed it was a jade seal with the word ‘Spring’ carved on it. Right away, she was certain that Luo Bingyu was the one who gave it to her. Laughing softly to herself, she stored the jade seal inside her red bangle and entered the swirling white portal of the Thousand Illusion Beast realm4It is one of the many realms owned by the Divine Sword Sect, which houses many powerful beasts capable of executing illusion skills. This place also serves as a punishment ground for disciples who break rules, knowing he meant well.

The Thousand Illusion Beast realm — a home to countless powerful beasts owned by the Divine Sword Sect.

In here, it was the survival of the fittest. Strong beasts dominated the weak, establishing a strict hierarchy with an iron grip. Weaker beasts must learn to submit and obey or be forced to pay with their lives!

In a split second, Luo Xue’s location changed. The air was filled with the scent of moist leaves, adding an earthy fragrance to the surroundings. Surrounded by the lush greenery, she recognised she was in a forest.

With no clear path ahead, Luo Xue drew her sword and walked forward. As rays of light pierced through the canopy, casting a glow on the forest floor, the silence grew more pronounced with each step she took, creating the illusion that the forest was devoid of life.

It was of no coincidence that Luo Xue picked this place for her punishment. In order for her to become stronger, she had to put herself in precarious situations. She wasn’t afraid of dying by their claws, but rather not having enough worthy opponents. After all, it was not often that one could encounter many powerful beasts, especially when their strength impacts their ability to reproduce.

As for how the strength of the beasts was categorised, they were divided into nine levels; Level One being the weakest and Level Nine being the strongest. Likewise, the strength of the cultivators was categorised using a separate naming system, albeit slightly complicated.

The progression of each realm of strength, from weakest to strongest, are: Qi Refining, Foundation Establishment, Core Formation, Nascent Soul, Soul Transformation, Soul Ascension, Ascendant, Demigod, and Immortal. And within each realm was further divided into early, middle, late, and peak stages.

In general, from birth, everyone would start at Qi Refining realm.

While most mortals5Individuals not associated with sects are classified as mortals were content with Qi Refining realm, cultivators like the ones in her immortal sect would strive to become stronger and live longer.

At her peak, Luo Xue's cultivation was at early-stage Demigod realm6The 8th realm of cultivation. It is considered the highest rank of power that a cultivator could reach before they ascend as immortals. Her cultivation should have disappeared with her death, but thankfully for her, not everything was gone. Her mental force had remained.

Despite not losing it, it was not yet an omnipotent skill for her to brisk through life. Since the strength behind her mental force far exceeds her current physical cultivation, this discrepancy in power would continue to injure her vitality, and in the worst-case scenario, hinder her cultivation.

Achieving equilibrium7The MC's strength is divided into two cultivations: the Body and Soul. Having high mental ability does not equate to having a high body cultivation (Specifically for MC's cultivation technique) between the two was the only way to resolve it.

So, given limited time and choice, Luo Xue must enter the punishment realm for her own benefit.

The forest remained silent as Luo Xue advanced until her foot carelessly stepped on a branch. Without warning, a dark figure bolted out of the bushes, charging towards her at full speed. Facing the rapidly approaching beast, she swung her sword towards it, but her blade only met empty air.

Immediately, Luo Xue conjured her mental force to shield her back, and a loud crash sounded dangerously near her. When she looked back, a large, black sabre-toothed tiger had made its presence.

Luo Xue’s lips curled into a bloodthirsty smile as she kept a close eye on the tiger that had tried to catch her off guard. The beasts in this place, ranging from level four to five8Nascent Soul to Soul Transformation, had a characteristic unique to this realm — the ability to create illusions. Had she been any slower, the claw would have sent her head rolling.

The black tiger’s back arched, its body tense as it warily observed her every move. The moment it leapt, two more duplicates appeared beside it.

A vicious glint flashed in her eyes as Luo Xue dodged the black tigers’ attacks. Using only her sword to kill, she prepared for the long awaited battle in this life.

Six months passed in the blink of an eye.

Throughout this time, Luo Xue never allowed herself to go easy on her training. Day or night, she would cut down beasts, one by one, as they dropped at her feet. Whenever she felt utterly exhausted, she would set up a campfire by a nearby river, where she could relax, freshen up and drink while waiting for her meat to be cooked. After satisfying her hunger, she would meditate for half an hour before wiping her sword, and sleep.

Over the course of the past six months, the beasts which initially saw Luo Xue as a weak and harmless human had changed their perception of her into that of a ruthless predator. It didn’t matter how weak or strong they thought she was; wherever she went, there would be carnage. Every beast slain would have their meat butchered, fur cut out, and cores removed. After witnessing the extent of her killing, no foolish beasts dared approach or provoke her. They would instead hide from her, praying that she would not find them.

Luo Xue stepped out of the lake, completely bare. Drops of water trickled down her slender figure, revealing the toned muscles. She cast a spell, keeping herself dry, and slipped into her dark green robes. Her hair was left untied as it fluttered along with the breeze.

At present, Luo Xue’s cultivation9body cultivation remained at early-stage Foundation Establishment realm. Her cultivation should have advanced to early-stage Nascent Soul realm, but she chose to delay it. By doing so, she was waiting to go through the lightning tribulations all at once.

Even at the expense of her own life.

She did this for a simple reason — to question the heavens’ will.

Ever since the heavens had brought her back to life, there had been unresolved questions in her mind. Pursuing cultivation was the same as pursuing immortality; it was against heavens’ will.

The heavens she understood were just. Every gain comes with a price. To gain a new life, she had to sacrifice another.

So why did it give her another chance to live?

Luo Xue sighed in frustration. Regardless of her feelings, the time had come.

Luo Xue hopped towards a smooth stone, precariously perched on the edge of a small cliff, the wind rustling through her hair. Sitting down, she gazed at the full moon before meditating with her eyes closed.

What was the purpose of this life? What did the heavens seek from her?

Luo Xue gradually separated herself from the restless thoughts and focused her mind and body to endure the upcoming lightning tribulation.

Dark clouds gathered and thunder rumbled as the beasts watched the tiny human from a distance. The moon, stars, and sky were slowly being devoured by looming clouds, leaving behind an unsettling darkness.

Without a doubt, lightning tribulation is here!

Luo Xue opened her eyes and looked up. The sky was now coloured in menacing grey while violent winds slashed her robes. The stifled air hung heavy around her, creating a sense of suffocation.

Just as she had expected, the heavens would not permit her to come back to life. The scale of this lightning tribulation would most definitely condemn her to an eternal death!

Luo Xue sat there, anticipating the lightning to strike, but as seconds, minutes, and hours passed, nothing happened.

Not even a single drop of rain fell on her.

She stood up, staring at the dark clouds blankly. What’s going on? Did the heavens not look down upon cultivators who sought to ascend as immortals? So why was she not being punished?

This lightning tribulation was her last hope of finding an answer. Strike her down and send her back — this was all she wanted!

Eventually, the clouds scattered, revealing the moon. As a bright beam of light enveloped her body, she was embraced by the soft, moonlit glow. Not only did she feel rejuvenated, her vitality also grew stronger.

Within her, a golden core was formed, with a tiny soul orbiting it. Her cultivation shot up to early-stage Nascent Soul realm, signifying that her tribulation was now complete.

Luo Xue sensed the surge of power within her, but there was no joy at the bottom of her heart. She clenched her fists, fingernails etched deep into her skin. Crimson blood seeped through the crevices of her tightly wound fingers, but she didn’t feel any pain. Hatred, madness, confusion and guilt were reflected in her eyes. Did the heavens intend for her to live longer? Why? Why make her live through this world again?!

In a daze, Luo Xue slowly crumbled to the ground, her trembling knees barely supporting her weight. While gazing at the familiar night sky, with the stars twinkling one by one, her heart burned with the desire to return home. Yet, having lived for so long, she knew it was an unattainable dream…

To go back to where she was meant to be.

Just as Luo Xue was on the verge of losing hope, her red bangle suddenly grew hot. A jade seal tumbled out, landed right on her lap. She picked it up, feeling the weight of the intricate block in her hand, and laughed.

How could she give up? There’s still one last chance!

This jade seal not only symbolised Luo Bingyu’s agreement with her, but it also presented her with a new opportunity — a completely different path from her previous life.

In this world, like any other story, there is a protagonist who is strongly favoured by the heavens. In the past, as a ‘cannon fodder’, she went against him and suffered a crushing defeat. But this time, she would instead support him.

When the protagonist grows up into a remarkable powerhouse again, what treasures would be beyond his means to offer?

And by becoming his master, she could count on him to repay her kindness. Surely the heavens would not claim back the treasures the protagonist willingly gave up, right?

Once Luo Xue set her sights on a goal, it would be impossible for her to disregard it. Standing up, she kept the jade seal in her red bangle and slipped into the darkness. With a newfound resolve, she was ready to leave this place behind.

Happy New Year 2024! Have a great year ahead!

1