Chapter 6: Kidnapped
37 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Warning: Depictions of heavy violence and cruelty. Reader’s discretion is advised.

Large wheels rolled along a smooth road. A carriage displaying an aristocrat crest was driving through the lively streets. At first glance, it looked as if the soldiers were escorting a noble during their expedition, yet in reality, they were nothing but kidnappers who were trafficking people. Inside the carriage, two young girls were tied up, their mouths forcefully bound by cloth.

Aware of the lenient treatment of the Pei family by the city guards, the kidnappers made use of her carriage. Meanwhile, the maidservant, a recognisable aide by Pei Yufeng’s side, provided cover for them.

With such an arrangement, the city guards only conducted a few rudimentary inspections and readily allowed the carriage to proceed.

As they travelled on the road for hours, the sky gradually darkened, until finally the carriage came to a stop.

Upon arriving at their destination, the kidnappers dismounted the carriage and went their separate ways, leaving a handful of people to stand guard while the rest either informed others of their return or collected their equipment.

Although they were supposed to keep watch, they were more focused on having a conversation. The two men standing next to the carriage were a prime example. They faced away from the carriage, not worried that the girls would escape.

A thin, exhausted man grumbled. “Didn’t the maid say the girl is a cultivator? I expected she would possess more valuable items, but it turns out she only has a worthless sword. If I could just remove that expensive-looking bangle she’s wearing and sell it, maybe I could earn a little more. Hmm… should I chop her hand off?”

The tall man gazed disdainfully at his money-grubber partner with contempt. “Are you an idiot? Remember, she’s still a cultivator. Judging by her young age and decently attractive appearance, she should be a young prodigy from some sect. Naturally, she would fetch a higher price if sold intact than damaged. So, don’t be greedy over short-term gains, brother.”

“Tch, such a shame. The bangle could have sold for a good amount of money, too.”

As the two men continued their conversation, their comrades returned, pushing a cart with a cage. Familiar with the situation, they turned around and hopped into the carriage, dragging the girls out. They proceeded to throw them inside and lock them in before covering the cage with a cloth and pushed it away.

With each step the men took, the lock on the cage rattled. Amidst the silent night, they hummed while passing by many pillars, navigating the familiar building with ease. After exiting a hallway, they arrived at a warehouse. They opened the doors and stepped in.

Moonlight poured into the room, illuminating multiple similar-sized cages inside. As they went deeper, rows of cages lined the area, occasionally revealing movements or faint sounds coming from within. In the end, they pushed the cage into the furthermost corner before leaving.

When the doors slammed shut and their footsteps grew distant, the once silent space suddenly burst like a bubble, causing many voices to erupt. Many people confined in their cages finally dared to breathe, as they sobbed and begged for release.

After a while, Luo Xue’s eyes fluttered open, and she slowly sat up. From the moment she was caught, she had been pretending to be unconscious, waiting for an opportunity.

Despite the pitch-black darkness, Luo Xue could still make out her surroundings due to her cultivation. Sickly, malnourished children and women huddled together in small cages, their shoulders trembling, while tear-streaked faces reflected their fears. A scent of death pervaded the air, shrouding the entire place in an eerie and dreadful atmosphere.

To her right, Pei Yufeng was unconscious, similarly restrained by chains on her hands and ankles. Without any delay, Luo Xue released her mental force, crushing their restraints into dust. Rubbing her numb wrists, she spat out the cloth that had been muffling her mouth. Finally, she felt better.

After that, Luo Xue carefully helped Pei Yufeng to sit up, causing her to lean against her. She took out the cloth from Pei Yufeng’s mouth and then provided her with a pill to swallow. Once the pill was digested, it was not long before Pei Yufeng woke up.

Pei Yufeng slowly opened her eyes to a blanket of darkness surrounding her. Before she could utter a word, the unsettling sounds of cries enveloped her, warning her that something was amiss. Right as she was about to look into it, something behind her moved, causing her heart to momentarily stop.

A chill went down her spine, and Pei Yufeng screamed!

A hand quickly covered her mouth, stifling her scream.

“Xiao Yu!”

Pei Yufeng suddenly stopped struggling as she asked, “Xiao Xue? Is that you?”

As her eyes became adjusted to the darkness, Pei Yufeng turned around and vaguely saw Luo Xue sitting behind her. Feeling much relieved, she moved away as she whispered, “Where are we?”

Luo Xue shook her head. “I don’t know, but we have been kidnapped for at least eight hours. It’s night now.”

“What? How could this happen? What’s going on?”

“Your maid…” Luo Xue continued. “She’s colluding with the kidnappers. From the deliberate carriage incident to the drugged tea, everything was carefully orchestrated by her. She never had the intention of letting you go.”

“…” Pei Yufeng’s lips trembled as she fought to maintain her calm composure, but the turmoil in her eyes gave her away. In the end, she let out a sigh. “…I had an inkling it was her, but I was hoping it wasn’t.”

Luo Xue was surprised. “You knew?”

Pei Yufeng nodded. “Ever since my first incident, I have had my suspicions. Although investigations revealed traces had been wiped clean, I couldn’t shake off the feeling that the person responsible knew my schedules very well. So, I used myself as a bait, hoping to confirm my doubts and lure out the culprit. At first, I had assumed it was you… yet who would’ve known that I was right all along? For her to be this motivated to take such drastic actions, she must have wanted something desperately.”

“Why couldn’t she have asked me for help?” Pei Yufeng muttered, her bangs hiding her downcast eyes. “Why resort to betrayal?”

Luo Xue kept silent. Some things are better left unexplained.

“I’m sorry for dragging you into this,” Pei Yufeng apologised, her voice filled with remorse.

“It’s fine,” Luo Xue said. From the moment she took action, she had anticipated this. Even though she couldn’t recall the exact details of Pei Yufeng’s kidnapping, she knew it was a crucial event that would drastically affect Pei Yufeng’s character. What Pei Yufeng didn’t know was that in the story, her maidservant had achieved even greater success, leading her to suffer an unreasonable torment.

“Will you give her a second chance?” Luo Xue asked.

Pei Yufeng stared blankly at her hands, her gaze distant, lost in sadness. “No. From the moment she betrays me, I’m no longer her friend, sister and… mistress. Her life and death shall not be a concern to me anymore.”

Her maidservant, Yanyan, practically grew up with her and shared a strong bond that was as close as family. Despite this, Yanyan still made the decision to betray her, harming her at every given opportunity. Even if Yanyan had been given another chance, their relationship would not end well.

At this moment, the doors swung open and a group of men stormed in. Each of them took a glance and wordlessly pushed one or two cages on their carts out, familiarity in their swift actions.

Knowing they were being transported to another unknown location, Pei Yufeng tightly held onto Luo Xue’s arm, her composure crumbling under her growing fear and unease.

“Don’t be afraid. I’m here.” Luo Xue pulled Pei Yufeng towards her, cradling her as she patted her back to calm her trembling body. Traces of spiritual energy secretly seeped into Pei Yufeng’s skin, comforting her.

As Luo Xue soothed Pei Yufeng, she noticed they were now in a large space, engulfed by blinding lights. The overpowering scent of cigars filled the air, mingling with the unmistakable odour of blood. Discordant chatter blended in the chaotic atmosphere as the crowd of people intermingled.

Peeking through the cloth’s gap, Luo Xue observed their cages were placed close to the back of the stage, all lined up next to each other, resembling animals trapped in cages for display.

Luo Xue narrowed her eyes. Her smile grew cold.

Just then, a figure wearing a mask made his way onto the stage and in his hand was a long leather whip with sharp barbs at its end. With every stride, the ostentatious gold accessories on his black coat jingled, drawing attention to him. When he finally stopped, a malicious smirk appeared on his face as he performed a perfunctory bow before making eye contact with the audience.

“Dear Patrons, welcome to the long-awaited black market auction! Apart from our usual lineup, our auction today will showcase our special collection. Before we begin, I would like to express my deepest gratitude to those who generously contributed to this auction. Your donations have continued to help us grow further, making it possible for us to procure more exotic products. Now, without further ado, let the auction begin. Come, bring them out!”

The crowd erupted in enthusiastic cheers.

But Pei Yufeng’s complexion turned pale, with a visible expression of astonishment. “Chu Yuanchen?!”

She gasped in disbelief as she realised the man who had just spoken was none other than him. Although she could only see his back, how could she not recognise his voice, especially when he was someone who had been relentlessly pursuing her?

“Who is he?” Luo Xue asked.

Pei Yufeng murmured, “He’s… one of my suitors. He’s supposedly a respectable, kind-hearted gentleman and one of the most eligible bachelors in Central Dragon City. But… it’s hard for me to believe that someone like him would do something like this.”

While Pei Yufeng was doubting herself, two emaciated slaves were being dragged onto the stage.

The crowd taunted them mockingly as they struggled to walk, limping with each step as spikes dug deeper into their ankles. When the slaves stood before Chu Yuanchen, they thought the painful ordeal would be over, until he suddenly struck them with his whip, causing them to fall to the ground and bleed profusely. Enduring one beating after the other, they could do nothing but helplessly beg for mercy, but their cries only served to rile the crowd up even further.

“Let us go! Let us go, please!” But Chu Yuanchen ignored them. Using his barbed whip, he cut deeper into their flesh until bones could be seen.

Noticing that one of the slaves was almost dying, Chu Yuanchen stopped, showing his dissatisfaction with a disapproval tut. He threw his whip aside, pulling the slaves by their hair, before yanking them towards the audience. He said, “These slaves possessed a high regeneration rate and have undergone training to endure a beating. If you desire an outlet for your anger, they will be the perfect slaves for your needs. Bidding for one of them begins at 80 spirit coins. Please begin.”

Yet nobody bid.

After the bell rang for the third time, signalling the end of the bid, Chu Yuanchen grabbed the frightened slaves by their faces, absorbing their flesh, skin and blood into his palms. A menacing red glow flashed in his eyes, and in an instant, the slaves, once alive, were reduced to a pile of ashes. When he flicked his sleeve, a gust of wind dispersed the remains, leaving nothing behind.

Overwhelmed with fear, Pei Yufeng’s face contorted in agony as the sensation of nausea rose in her throat. Even though she was aware of the unsavoury rumours surrounding Chu Yuanchen, she always dismissed them, believing they were baseless accusations. She never expected this perverted side to emerge from this wicked man.

Luo Xue watched Chu Yuanchen, the dangerous man who relished in sickening acts, and furrowed her brows with a hint of disgust in her eyes. Not only did he show no remorse for killing them, he also fearlessly used a demonic technique in front of everyone, with no apparent concern for any consequences.

All the more proving that he was a powerful man who slaughtered countless simply for his amusement.

Despite the gruesome scene Luo Xue had just witnessed, the situation was too dangerous for her to act recklessly. She increased the release of her mental force through her fingertips, biding her time before taking action.

After that, Chu Yuanchen instructed his subordinates to bring three more slaves onto the stage. Unlike the previous instance, the slaves appeared to be in better physical condition this time, but their wrists and neck were firmly held in place by strong steel cuffs connected by a chain between them. Following his order, they were given a blunt knife to hold, encouraging them to kill each other for freedom. Without questioning, they obediently followed and ended up in a violent confrontation until only one was left alive. True to his word, he declared the surviving slave as the winner.

Before the slave could rejoice at his newfound freedom, Chu Yuanchen’s next words instantly destroyed his happiness.

“…To commemorate this slave’s outstanding victory, bidding for him begins at 150 spirit coins! Let us begin!”

And again, nobody bid.

Although the audience were thrilled to witness the bloody battle between the slaves, no one would be foolish to invest their wealth in a slave of poor quality, even if he had demonstrated exceptional strength or healing ability. What they were here for were superior products and entertainment.

Unsurprisingly, Chu Yuanchen wasted no time to kill the slave again. With another flick of his sleeve, the ashes scattered.

Suddenly, a shrill scream echoed, causing Chu Yuanchen to freeze for a moment. Chu Yuanchen turned his attention towards the noise and noticed a girl being detained by his subordinates. Resisting their forceful grips, the girl shouted angrily at him, “Young Master!”

“You promised me! You promised me once I finished my task, you will take me as your concubine! Why did you lie?!”

Lie? Chu Yuanchen watched the crazed girl, screaming and kicking in an attire unfamiliar to him. When he noticed her plain-looking face, all of the sudden, he recognised her as the pathetic maidservant he had kicked aside after she had served her purpose. 

“Shut your mouth!”

Chu Yuanchen’s vein popped out of his forehead, fury in his voice. In a rare moment of being in a good mood, he spared her life, only to be caught off guard by her audacity to cause a commotion. Who knows what she would say if she keeps going like this?

Following his signal, his subordinates quickly gagged the girl and flung her onto the stage.

Chu Yuanchen approached her, stabbing his sharp nails into her neck with a condescending look. He lifted her up and asked, “You want me to fulfil my promise?”

The girl, wincing in suffocating pain, vigorously nodded her head.

“Then die!”

Chu Yuanchen mercilessly punctured her neck, snapping it instantly. As usual, he sucked her into his palm, leaving nothing behind but dust. Just like this, her existence was thoroughly wiped out in this world.

At this point, Pei Yufeng’s hatred towards Chu Yuanchen had reached its breaking point. With trembling shoulders, all signs of her calm bearing vanished as she desperately wished for this man’s demise right before her eyes. Although she despised her maid’s betrayal, she would never wish for her maid to meet such a tragic end. What Chu Yuanchen had been doing only made him appear more like a devil and less like a human.

“Chu Yuanchen, you’re being too much!” Pei Yufeng clenched her jaw, with tears welling up in her furious eyes. She shouted, “Stop this now while you are still ahead. Otherwise, don’t blame me for not showing you mercy!”

Upon hearing that lovely voice, Chu Yuanchen looked back. His sinister grin grew wider as he glanced at the cages behind him. Stepping over his whip on the floor, he made his way towards the girl, who had her eyes fixed on him.

“Well, well, if it isn’t Young Lady Pei. Never would I see a day where you would look so beautiful and… so pitiful.”

Pei Yufeng gripped the bars of the cage, her knuckles turning white. “Stop this or else you will regret it!”

“Regret? Why would I?” Chu Yuanchen snickered. “Ever since you made a fool out of me, I’ve been wanting to vent my anger on you! Since you won’t accept me, then why should I listen to you? Watch carefully as I kill them one by one.”

Chu Yuanchen gave a glance to his subordinates, and they unlocked the cage, allowing him to forcefully pull Pei Yufeng out. Holding her firmly from behind, he squeezed her jaw and waist, forcing her to turn her gaze forward. He ran his tongue over her ear and then sank his teeth into it.

Pei Yufeng shuddered, letting out a cry.

Satisfied by her reaction, Chu Yuanchen laughed. He ordered, “Bring out the special collection!”

Right after he uttered those words, his subordinates appeared with a bleeding, emaciated boy, his body dangling limply from a stake, blood staining the ground below.

As they pushed him to the centre of the stage under the spotlight of everyone’s eager attention, Chu Yuanchen announced, “Everyone, behold our most luxurious delicacy! An extraordinary boy whose blood possessed the ability to heal wounds, eliminate illnesses, and… enhance our cultivation level by one whole stage with no side effects. He’s a panacea that you should never overlook. Bidding for him begins at 5000 spirit coins. May the winner succeed... let’s begin!”

Instantly, the crowd erupted with excitement, their hearts pumping in anticipation. In their eyes, the boy’s blood was too precious to give up!

“5100!”

“5300!”

“6000!”

Without pause, the prices kept scaling upwards as more and more people joined. They had reached a stage where they seemed unaware of the fact that they were bargaining over the life of a human boy, not just a delicious piece of meat.

Luo Xue was almost done with her arrangement when she suddenly paused. Observing the boy from afar, she couldn’t exactly determine his identity, but when she sensed the presence of her ribbon on him, she knew it was him.

The boy who she had run into this morning.

1