3 (revised)
173 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Lan Ling, you've really angered me this time."

"Empress Xia, you of all people should know why I did what I did."

Lan Ling picked up an osmanthus cake and smiled as she observed it. Today, the empress called her for a chat over the maid incident.

"Even so, that maid was really hardworking and good to me. What should I get in return now that I've lost such a good maid?" 

It was fair to say the empress was used to Lan Ling's trick and games. She's seen and experienced them thoroughly when Lan Ling just entered the palace. She took a liking to this young girl and wanted her to bear a child as fast as she could to secure her spot as crown princess. Only a woman like Lan Ling could take the path of an empress. Empress Xia was not willing to give her title to anyone else other than to the one in front of her. 

"Alright. I'll send over the music box."

Lan Ling bit into the osmanthus cake. Its taste was extraordinary. Empress Xia really had all the good food in her palace. It was one thing she enjoyed in the empress's palace. The emperor really dotes on his empress. 

The empress happily changed the subject after receiving what she wanted. 

After their little chat, Lan Ling left to her palace. Before she could enter, a young little boy stood by the door. She greeted him with a big smile, "Crown prince, you've come."

The crown prince nodded his small head. The only time he would willingly come to her palace is if he found out she killed someone he liked or wanted to confirm something.

"Come inside and let's have a talk."

Lan Ling opened the door for the crown prince to go inside first then she followed after. She quietly eyed her servants to leave the courtyard.

In her room, she poured two cups of warm tea, one for him and one for herself. 

"Can you spare them?" 

The crown prince pleaded, knowing he would get rejected. Each time he pleaded, she wouldn't accept.

Lan Ling gently grabbed the crown prince's right hand that was on the table and crossed her fingers with his small fingers. She affectionately looked at him.

Sighing, she knew who "them" were.

"My dear baby husband, you're really too young to understand everything," Lan Ling said. 

Holing in his frustration, he responded, "Then tell me so I can understand why you're doing this. You always say I don't understand anything but you don't tell me what I don't understand. How can you keep everything to yourself and not tell me anything? Aren't we husband and wife?"

His voice was weak and powerless. It was breaking with frustration. She would never tell him anything. Everyone else does but she does not. Why? What is it that she's hiding?

"Crown prince," Lan Ling spoke, "Everything will fall in place once you're older. Even if I tell you now, you won't understand."

The young boy looked at her with sadness and betrayal. It was unbearable. She was his wife, his crown princess, yet she knew more than he did and won't say anything. 

Lan Ling sighed once more. She stood up and went to him. The crown prince stared in confusion. What was she doing now?

"I will tell you once you get older," she said. "For now, just know that I’ll love you until you find someone else to love. I'll teach you what you want to know and what you need to know as you grow and become an emperor, okay?”

She gave him a little hug and patted his back. Every time, she'll console him this way. It didn't matter whatever he thought because right now, she was his "wife" and he was her "husband". 

Tears flowed down his small face once more. He felt useless and powerless against her. The only thought he had was that he'll lose many of his people if she continued to stay by his side.

"I love you very, very much," Lan Ling said as she wiped his tears away and peck his cheek. "Everything will make sense later, okay?"

The young boy didn't respond but stopped his trail of tears. Later... Later... It was always later.

"Sleeping here tonight?" she asked.

He only nodded in response. For some reason, he felt safe and secure around her but disliked her presence. 

1