6 (revised)
147 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the misty dawn, Lan Ling headed over to what looked like an empty courtyard. She waited for a few minutes before a figure appeared.

Sitting across from her was a handsome middle-aged man. The man's appearance was extremely attractive and appealing. No eyes would want to leave him once they saw him, but because of his identity, all eyes had to look elsewhere. 

"This humble one greets your royal majesty, the emperor." 

Lan Ling got down on one knee and placed her right hand on her chest. Her eyes were crystal clear although the weather wasn't as great. She looked at the emperor with admiration and pride.

"Get up. There shouldn't be formalities between us. If any, I should be thanking you."

The emperor smiled as he brought out a go board and some black and white stones. 

"It's been a while, why don't we test your skills once more?"

Lan Ling nodded in reply. The emperor was the first person she could never see through. She could never tell what he was thinking. Yet, Empress Xia could. Maybe it was because they were husband and wife that they could understand each other so well but no one would really know if that was so.

One day, maybe won't be able to read his royal highness, the crown prince, anymore. With one look, anyone could tell they were "like father like son".

After a few words of exchanges and moves, the game was already over. The black stones had surrounded the white stones, not allowing any way out.

The emperor looked at Lan Ling proudly.

He said, "It was a good game. As expected, my loss."

The first time they played this strategy game, Lan Ling would always lose. However, she learned to turn the tables quickly. It was to be expected from the Lan Clan's genius.

"Your highness, it seems I may just need a new go partner," Lan Ling bravely said as she picked up a black stone to observe it. 

The emperor's ears perked up as if he just thought of something. 

"Why don't you play with Wei'er? I'm sure he'll catch on soon. He is my son after all."

The emperor stood up to leave. His mouth tugged upwards and his brows rested. At that moment, he seemed to be at the peak of peacefulness. 

Lan Ling beamed, "Of course. Let's see how he thinks. And maybe I'll have him become a go master so that I can have someone to compete with." 

If the emperor allowed her to do so, then she will make the crown prince a master of all masters. Inside her mind, she already has thought of ways to teach the young crown prince. 

"I'll leave everything in your care. Until then," he said as he disappeared into the mists.

~~~

In the afternoon, Chu Meirong arrived at the palace garden along with the crown prince. They were meeting for the first time in the new month. However, they weren't alone.

This time, another young lady came along with Chu Meirong. The young lady's curly hair bounced every time she puffed out her small chest and speak. This young lady was Prime Minister Chu's stepdaughter, Chu Ying Ying. 

Chu Ying Ying whispered to Chu Meirong, "Older sis, the crown princess is literally making you wait for her! She just wants to embarrass you!"

Her tone was angry yet forced. She humphed before she turned to face the crown prince with an angelic and pure look. 

Chu Meirong didn't reply. No, it was better to say that she didn't speak at all.

In the whole two and a half hours that she observed from far away, Lan Ling could tell their relationship wasn't that good. She concluded that Chu Ying Ying forcefully followed Chu Meirong here after seeing her sister return home unharmed for the past 2 years. 

The emperor said to be watchful of Chu Ying Ying. Although young, Chu Ying Ying was able to make her mother, a lowly and unfavored concubine, take the empty seat of the main wife. 

In her mind, she knew everything was all but a scheme. If this was who she was put up against, it was fine by her. Her mouth curved upwards as she set her clear eyes on her prey.

Lan Ling quickly walked over to meet the three children. 

Chu Meirong excitedly looked at Lan ling as if her savior was here while Chu Ying Ying secretly rolled her eyes. 

"I've made you all wait, but 'what' is this?" Lan Ling asked.

"She's-" 

Before Chu Meirong could introduce her sister, she was interrupted.

"I am Chu Ying Ying, daughter of the main wife," Chu Ying Ying introduced herself with a smirk.

She talked as if she was really the daughter of the main wife and her mother was really the main wife.

If Lan Ling was an outsider and didn't know anything about Chu Ying Ying, she may have bought it.

"Meirong, I don't like this 'thing'. 'It' should go back and relearn where it belongs." 

Lan Ling emphasized her dislike towards Chu Ying Ying. Chu Ying Ying was nothing in her eyes but a young lady who uses people to her advantage.

Throughout their conversation, Chu Ying Ying could only hold in her anger and let it boil up. She had to get the crown prince's attention today. It was her only chance! After meeting him, she decided only he was worthy of her.

Lan Ling continued to act like she was ignoring Chu Ying Ying's existence by only talking to Chu Meirong and the crown prince but every two or three minutes, she'll notice Chu Ying Ying's eyes secretly take glances at the crown prince who paid no attention. 

"Meirong, next time, just come by yourself. I won't bite you but that doesn't mean I won't bite others."

Chu Meirong gave a stuttered reply, "S-s-sure." 

It was no longer possible for her to come alone. Once Chu Ying Ying set her eyes on something, she'll get it no matter what. 'If Chu Ying Ying wants the crown prince,' she thought as she looked at Lan Ling, 'will she get him?'

This was the first time Chu Meirong questioned her sister's prowess. But in the end, she was still afraid Lan Ling will be harmed. She knew her sister all too well.

Chu Ying Ying bitterly glared at Chu Meirong. Once they get home, she'll have to teach her "older sister" a lesson for disobeying her.

Catching the glare, Lan Ling's face changed. "The scenery is affecting my mood. Let's change places."

The crown prince gave a questioning stare towards Lan Ling. The imperial garden was her favorite place other than empress mother's kitchen and if anyone changed anything in the imperial garden, they had to ask her first. If not, trouble would head their way.

Before she walked too far, Lan Ling smiled. "Crown prince, I met her royal majesty, Empress Xia, on the way here earlier and forgot to tell you that she would like to have chat with you today. It's best to head over right now before it's too late."

Then, she grabbed Chu Meirong by the arms and left.

Chu Ying Ying reluctantly followed them for fear of being lost in the vast palace. But before she left, she took one last glance at crown prince Wei.

0