Chapter Six: New Allies
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So William, where did you serve?" It was dead at night, yet the two stood on the balcony of her office. The fine view of the city was perfectly shown from the balcony, the bustling city lights and the high-rises of the distant business districts, it was an eye candy of modernity, that even William's jaded eyes could not help but be wondered by its sight.

But he didn't understand why Amelie asked him privately to have a talk after the meeting. What would she ask of him, he didn't know. Yet the Queen had authority. He could not simply say no, even though he preferred to simply go home and rest. Rest was good, after all. Although sometimes it sucked when the scenes would resurface in his head...

Ah, whatever. Let's just get this over with.

With a tone of distrust, he answered. "I served in the Liebnich Peninsular Campaign, Your Majesty."

Liebnich. The same place where her older brother, Adams died. The same place too, where Albert received his injuries. Whenever she read the passages that detailed the campaign, she would sometimes tear up. It sickened her greatly, all of it.

In those Gaullic fields, the Orlish Armed Forces spent three years fighting, while cut off from the main allied lines, as they bravely defended that strip of land of the Kingdom of Gaul.

Men who survived that campaign told stories of constant fighting, bombardment, lack of supplies, and most dreadful of them all - chemical warfare.

Nerve agents, mustard gas, phosgene, and many more nightmares produced by Pollos' Industrial Revolution, were used widely by both sides in Liebnich, for there were almost no civilians left after it was evacuated, which gave them the excuse to use it liberally. And thus the Peninsula and those who fought there witnessed all kinds of contamination.

But what made it worse for the Orlish side, was that Liebnich could only be supplied by sea. Those who served there, always faced shortages of CBRN gear. Tales of men with nothing but surgical or cloth masks - facing clouds of VX and Sarin were too common. Far too common for comfort, as she could only imagine how much of a nightmare its effects were based on scant few medical readings she had done about those toxins.

And to think that millions died from those gases alone. What more of the millions more veterans who were now crippled by it?

How could they have done this to them? She would ask herself this every night. Worse of all, even now that they were back home, they still treated them like disposable rats. Each day millions of Orlishmen who served suffered, as her government turned a blind eye.

It was why she understood his distrust. He had every right to be wary of her.

She pitied him. All of them.

"Did the 16th also serve in Liebnich?"

"...Yes, we all did. Though, most of my men were only from last year."

"Why?"

"I can only scarcely count on my fingers the members of the 16th who joined three years ago with me."

She paused, then looked back at him.

"Why? Where are the rest?"

The answer was obvious. Only one word came from William's mouth.

"Dead."

With a somber look, she could hardly say much too.

"I see."

William stood there for a while, unsure how to proceed. He wasn't used to this, to talk to a woman, more so Royalty. Especially one that...seemingly looked so genuinely empathetic of his misery.

"Why...did you want to talk about this?"

"It has to stop."

"What? I don't understand, Your Majesty. Stop what?"

"This! This...apathy, this, callousness, this, coldness. My mother sent you all to war, yet this is how she - no, we treat you? I've seen and heard enough."

While William would like to deny it, he couldn't help but feel moved. The Matriarchy had beyond abused them. He did not know why they - men, were treated this way. The only answer he would sometimes hear was that it was rightful retribution for the centuries that their ancestors oppressed women.

But was it fair? Was it justice, to simply turn the tables around, and make the sons pay again and again for the crimes of their fathers?

It was why the modern man would not let go of his rifle. They had enough, of paying the price - again and again, only to be tossed like used garbage.

It was why the Military, he, and his fellow brothers acted this way. The breaking point was near for them.

"Stopping this cruelty, Your Majesty is no easy task."

"And that's what I hate about it." A fire almost appeared in her eyes. "I am the Queen - yet under my watch my subjects suffer and suffer needlessly. Even my life is threatened by it. There can only be so much pain that you men can endure before you rise against the crown."

Indeed that was true. The crown, the Parliament, and the nobility, to the eyes of military men, were as much an enemy to them as those that they faced in the trenches. Perhaps even more so.

"That is why...I plan for change."

"You promised that back during your speech, yes. But, you would lose the support of the nobility, and the military, and us men are not your ally yet."

"But I could change that. To rebuild trust, it would take gargantuan efforts. I would need to do reforms. I would need to appease you all. I would need to negotiate."

"Indeed, you are right, Your Majesty."

"But, William, I cannot do that if the military is insistent on stabbing me in the back." She walked towards him. "William, no - Major William Porter, will you lend me your aid? To help me gain allies in the Army?"

He looked at him with muted shock. Was it true, or was he dreaming? This...young Queen, she seemed truly determined to do this. To bring reforms, and peace.

She was right. This wasn't simply for her self-preservation, but also for them. If the Military could not reconcile even with a reformist monarch, then the only path they would trek is a path to another war.

"Your Majesty, how can I be sure that you are on our side?"

Immediately, a document materialized in her hand. Magic, he supposed. She showed it to him, and with her signature, was a Royal Decree that approved the shipyard project.

This...was unprecedented. She was sacrificing her own reputation for their interests. Indeed, she seemed very serious.

"Are you on my side, Major William?"

"...Your Majesty, I and the 16th will now report to you directly."

Amelie smiled. It may be a small step, for he only commanded a battalion, yet everything must start from somewhere.

"I'll even bring this to my connections at the General Staff. I'll find you allies, for the good of Orland."

"You have my gratitude, Major."

+++

City of Rebenslof

Complex 12 - Orlish Navy Headquarters

Many have said that the Orlish Navy ruled the waves of Pollos, and it would not be far from the truth. Indeed, Orland was the undisputed champion of the high seas, its fleets having won war after war through its sheer doctrinal prowess and technological supremacy.

Rebenslof, a coastal city only a few kilometers away from a Halia, was its proud headquarters, and the home port of the infamous 2nd Fleet, which famously participated in the three-year campaign on the seas surrounding the Liebnich Peninsula.

Two aging aircraft carriers that made up the 2nd Fleet, the ONS Rebenslof, and the ONS Cuirassier were anchored on the port, their hulls visible from the Headquarters Building.

While old, and damaged - as the ONS Rebenslof was currently undergoing repairs for its engines, the two carriers fought through thick and thin near Liebnich and gained many awards and recognition for it.

They held a special place in the hearts of many veterans from that peninsula, as their actions kept the sea lanes open to Liebnich during the Peninsular Campaign.

The ONS Rebenslof for one, was famous for holding off the Larrisan fleet 2 years ago when they tried to cut off Liebnich from its supplies coming from the seas. During the Battle, the ONS Rebenslof and its escorts even came close to land to support ground forces with air cover and evacuate the wounded again and again.

Unfortunately, she was hit by a missile on the bridge during a naval engagement. It was only through sheer luck that its Commanding Officer - Albert Ludendorf, survived two years ago.

Even then, his eye patch showed that the scars of that battle were not gone.

"Looking over your fine ship, Commodore?" A voice said from behind Albert. He turned around to see his senior, Admiral George Halberd. Old and experienced, the two fought side by side through the Great War. While Albert ran the Rebenslof, Halberd commanded the 2nd Fleet as a whole. He also often used the Rebenslof as his flagship.

"Yeah, I wonder when her engines and propulsion would be fixed. The Cuirassier would continue her tours tomorrow, while my ship is still stuck in port."

A small chuckle.

"You're a cocky young man, the war had just ended, yet you already want to be out and about in the high seas...but I suppose that's just natural."

Albert turned away from the windows of the office to face the aging Admiral. He was sitting on his chair, shuffling papers on his desk while smoking from his pipe.

"Sir, I'd like to ask. How did the Admiralty react to the news?"

"The Halian shipyard? Oh, they were delighted by the news." He laughed heartily. "Many didn't expect any more military projects post-war, but your little sister's decision had eased their fears."

Albert made a sigh of relief. That was good news. At the very least her decision should win over some of the Admiralty. Their plan of winning over the military would be an arduous task, but such a small step was still good news.

"Worried about your little sister?"

"Yes...I am. She's in a shaky position."

"The country is in a shaky position as a whole." He let out a puff of smoke. "But I suppose since she is the Queen, she is the country."

"It's just...she's still family."

"Indeed, son. While we men are usually thrown by our families, we somehow still stay loyal and protective of them, aren't we? I saw how downtrodden you were at her funeral. I thought you hated her."

He ignored his comment about his relationship with his mother.

"Her life would be in danger if a civil war breaks." He looked at him, a sense of protectiveness in his voice. "I would not let anything happen to her, to the both of them."

A small silence.

"Civil war this, civil war that. Oh, you young men are such aggressive folks." He paused. "Even if the military stormed the Ivory Palace and took control, a junta without popular support would collapse regardless."

"Yet the Army is twitchy for it."

"Because the Army is currently led by radicals." The Admiral said, a hint of disappointment in his tone. "General Heindhöff and his lackeys have taken over the General Staff way too swiftly. He's manipulating the anger and resentment of our ground troops for their gains, I won't be surprised if he tears this nation apart."

"Where do we stand?"

"For now? The sidelines. The Air Force and the Navy is the bastion of sanity. We would not join the radicals, nor would we be some lapdog of the Queen and the nobility."

That was unsurprising, Albert thought. Both the navy and the airforce had always stayed moderate, for they saw less brutality than the army.

Unlike the Army which was usually filled with the poor, radicals, and workers as conscripts, and thus, saw more of the brutality on the ground, including the worst excesses of the matriarchal order, the navy and the airforce in comparison were of professional men who saw less of the war.

While they were men who also harbored resentment toward the Crown, they would be more amicable to compromises and peaceful reforms.

Of course, that would only be true for so long as the Crown kept such a path possible. Block the avenues for peaceful change, and the sailors, marines, and airmen of Orland would no doubt also join the ranks of the front in droves.

But thankfully, Amelie didn't appear to be interested in such an act.

"But son, the Army is still the Army. If they marched to the Capital, we would not be able to stop them."

"Then what should we do?"

"What should your little sister do? That is the question, young man." He stood up. "Even we in the Admiralty aren't rock-solid supporters of her, at least not until her promised reforms are implemented. But what of the Army?"

Indeed, winning over them would be even more difficult.

"She would need to win them over somehow if she wishes to survive." He walked towards the door. "Go check out the repair crew down there or something. They are looking for you. I'll go have some chow."

"Yes, Sir."

Albert followed him through the door, leaving the office empty.

1