The Course of Fate
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It has been nearly a week since the rise of the criminal warlord, Bloody King Heais. The propaganda circus was going at full force, painting Zora as a dangerous terrorist seeking her own benefit. Emperor Visto III had released from anonymous sources that Zora had stolen Vittivici’s Bane on top of it all. And Dean was trapped behind a desk under near constant supervision. If Pandina wasn’t watching him directly she had one of her direct underlings watching him. He couldn’t even try to speak to any superiors off the record about what was going on because of her diligence.

As he finished approving yet another case report due to its lack of errors or inaccuracies, he heard her speak again. “Detective Paddock. I require your presence.” He stood from his chair, put the forms in the appropriate box, and stepped out of his prison-like cubical to see his familiar jailer. Her tone had not stopped making him feel like she would leap on any weakness, but her usual smile and towering pressure had dimmed for the first time since he had arrived. “Your desk duty is over, at least for now. Something has happened and I require you in order to address it in full.”

He blinked in disbelief which she seemed to allow for. He said calmly, “Given what I’m hearing, I didn’t think you would want an officer formerly associated with a terrorist to help with anything.”

She nodded, “That is fantastic instinct. And just about anyone would agree. You would be a desk jockey for the rest of your life if I didn’t do this. What do we say to people who help us?” She was still playing with him, but it was like someone releasing an animal from a cage and trying to soothe them.

Playing her game for now, he spoke softly, “Thank you for giving me this chance to get back to my job properly. I take it you specifically needed a Special Detective that could be burned?”

She shook her head, “No. I needed a Special Detective and you happen to be nearly immortal so with the danger of this mission you are the most efficient choice.” He tilted his head and she elaborated, “The Falos Empire are only a pillar when the Emperor is involved. Like any large enough society and culture, there are sects, divisions, secret orders, and general traitors.” He nodded like he knew what she was talking about and she continued, “Recently I lost contact with a colleague within the empire. My contacts have drawn nothing up about it either. He is definitely capable of defending himself, but if he hasn’t contacted us then someone is up to something they shouldn’t and I need someone I can drag into the Lion’s den and save the day.”

He scoffed, “How bad could it possibly be? It isn’t like you guys operate under the orders of a tyrant or anything.”

Without reacting to his jab she stated firmly, “Last time this happened, the Emperor glassed a planet and scattered the Despoda to the stars. So I would rather we avoid anything so dramatic this time.”

Dean sighed and grumbled, “It is a tragic thing that such a horrific event happened in both times.”

She shook her head and stated, “We are simply people. Some events are inevitable and no one could stop them. The destruction of a predatory shape shifting species was an inevitable end for a culture like theirs. Not every tragedy can be averted.” She seemed to drift at the end but snapped back, “I know you have been waiting to communicate to the Ziegfried crew since you were assigned here. I’m afraid I can’t let you. If you try anything while we are on this mission, I will paralyze you with my toxin and give you a few lava baths until you cooperate.”

Dean froze at her awareness and direct nature. He said coldly, “I can’t be coerced with pain. So you will have to do better.”

She put one of her talons to his neck, “That wasn’t to hurt you. I’ve been trained on that aspect in particular. Your strong will and the insane prices you are willing to pay for what you feel is right. The lava baths will be to fry any equipment.” She leaned in very close, “We don’t have to be enemies on this mission, but we do need to cooperate with each other. I promise when the mission is done and you are back as a regular officer in the force, you can contact them all you want without any snitching or interference from me.”

He remained stoic and resolute, not shifting not moving, he stated, “Unless you can provide me a reason not to share, I will do as I please.”

“The information you share could lead to consequences that you could not even begin to understand the full effect of.”

“Then explain. Or bring them about with your own stubborn nature. G-“

She snapped, “That is no longer my name and you never knew the one who carried it. Just rumors and shadows. Don’t think your past means you know anything of this world.” She hissed, “A hypocrite as stubborn as yourself needs to learn your own lesson. Do not assume and fight. Follow and learn. Perhaps you may prevent the smaller tragedies to come.” She snapped her fingers and motioned him to follow her out the door. He slowly and quietly followed after her.

——————

The white haired girl sighed as she looked out on the beautiful scenery, her amber eyes gleaming in the rising sun, “Dawn comes. The many crops are becoming ripe.” She stood, her black lace dress flowing behind her, “Soon, all the cards will fall where they need and we shall see his reborn world.

Her brother sighed, “The morning speaks of the crimson tide that awaits them. Their destinies are tragic to the last.” He poured himself some apple juice from the crystal carafe, his broad shoulders rocking with each gulp, “No one can deny their destiny.”

She laughed, “Some are already have a better fate. His ambition is blind, but his ideals pure. This world will be reborn on the road forged by the flames of their passions. Surely you see it, Baruch.”

“I am still adjusting to seeing you smile, Muse. Perhaps it is the difference in our natures, but I have yet to see beyond the pain that awaits them on the path.” He rolled his shoulders before pouring another glass of juice. He watched his sister’s slow and elegant dance in the morning sun. He sighed, “I’ll greet our guests. Please, whether it be tragedy or cheer, try not to creep them out.” She nodded as she danced, causing him to walk to the door and open it as a bandaged leg missed the door. The red haired woman fell to the floor, embarrassed and in pain. He spoke softly, “Welcome, Daughters of Tak’Nasi. Welcome to the haven of @-layer.”

He assisted Hepta up from the floor as Ett, Kuntaret, Trinta, Cero, Zwei, and Shi entered the sanctum of their missing benefactor.

0