Fugue State
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the two traveled in Pandina’s star craft, she sighed, “You know I’ve installed countless jammers inside and outside the craft, right?” Dean continued to work with the wires in the service panel.

“I’ve noticed. You were very through, but I’m trying to take your warning seriously. So don’t worry just yet.” He spoke coldly, clearly not entertaining his usual welcoming approach. “Can you give me any information on your agent?”

She nodded, “His signal is currently coming from a civilian sector. Tetrawen stellar system. That should mean something to you.”

Dean turned in surprise. After a moment, he asked, “Isn’t that a Shuian system?” She smirked at him and he slowly put it together, “So you and your friends made a deal with the Falos to protect the system at the cost of occupation. It’s like the difference between full body paralysis and simply losing your legs.”

“Nothing so pedestrian, but functionally, you are correct.” She clarified, “My ally negotiated hard and asked for protection for the planet and to be treated as a colony but assigned legally under his independent governance. It was agreed to provided that he made a point to accomplish a ‘to-do’ list at a satisfactory rate. More is always added to it but my ally has been doing a good job seeing it done.”

Dean nodded, “A hostage situation. Show them what matters to you and they will put the most pressure there.” As they arrived at the planet, he couldn’t help it as his face grew stern. He knew this planet, mostly second hand. He never expected to see it in this state. And unlike the Tak’Nasi homeworld, he couldn’t stay on the ship to avoid the emotional burden. Pandina seemed to respect his quiet reflection. Landing the ship in a clearing in the woods that seemed to close in around them after they finished their descent. “Clever. Despite them clearly being able to identify your craft on entry-“

She shook her head, “Independent governance means back doors to the IFF docking procedures. This is an off the record landing location that only opens to our agents. Isolated enough so only a handful of people are even aware of the landing. We have to be very discreet in our work.” She finished the rest of the docking procedures, disabling the remaining security, and then lowered the docking ramp.

As the two exited the ship, a rather annoyed but familiar face glared at them, “Please tell me that you have come to talk him out of his little experiment. At least to not do it here.”

Pandina sighed, “Actually, Dr.Colt, he had gone quiet so I came to check on him.”

Dean stared in stunned disbelief at a woman who didn’t seem to recognize him at first. She eventually offered her hand, “Ah, you brought Mister Paddock. I’m glad. I’m sorry I never made it to the Cosmic Patrol. Was too busy keeping everyone healthy and safe under Falos rule. Maybe you can get the man to stop his potential war crimes.”

Dean took her hand, still too stunned to respond. Pandina asked, “What are you on about this time? What could he do that you can’t just trust him on?”

She growled, “That damned Fugue engine he is working on is having a negative effect on the planet and local wildlife! But he says he needs to do it. Won’t elaborate further.”

Dean went pale white at the thought. The Falos were trying to copy the Fugue engine? And on an inhabited planet? He could feel a chill overtake his body. This could only end one of two ways and both were unacceptable.

Sienna held out a piece of paper that Pandina took and handed to Dean. What he read on it gave Dean his first out of body experience since he first took the Geo stone. A message just for him. One that only meant something to him. An impossible truth that he couldn’t help but accept because this wouldn’t be the first time and he doubted it would be the last.

The stars shine bright
On this cold cruel night

0