Episode 3: Hunter
28 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Your mother noticed something amiss about you lately. You have been frequenting the woods a lot more than usual. As the only child, there was no one at home to help your parents other than you. So it's a normal occurrence for your parents for you to bring firewood. Except recently, you brought bigger chunks of wood from the forest. Actual wood logs. A work that is usually done by the sons and men. Your mother dissuaded you from doing so and kindly asked the neighbor for their son to help you instead. Another one of her matchmaking schemes. Ever since though, you brought more than just firewood. You also brought hunted rabbits and birds. That neighbor's son probably taught her to hunt, your mother thought.

Your father, however, is against it. He could not approve that a man would go accompany his daughter just them two alone in the woods. But it seems that ever since they did so, their family and that neighbor's family had a surplus of wood. Your parents couldn't make of what was happening but only they knew that it was good. Your father is still adamant about it. This continued for a month and a week. She can tell that you've become adept at your bow and axe by this point.

Months before your injury, your daily life consisted of helping your father in the morning in the vineyard, gathering firewood, and then returning home to your mother whom you'd help around too. These days, however, ever since you hit your head one rainy afternoon on the way home all you're doing is logging some wood and hunting animals. Your mother, Anne would sometimes look out the window while watching you walk home with wood and more hunted game with worried sighs.

Not only that, you constantly made a fuss before about the toilet, or cleaning tools for your teeth that your father had to buy expensive bamboo wood fibers for your makeshift tools. You had become sensitive to your environment. You made some for your parents and they do indeed help in getting the teeth clean, except well they're not used to your new ways yet and switched back on using cloth. Not to mention some fibers would fall off sometimes and get in the way of the brushing. Now you don't like your parents setting foot in your room with their shoes on when back then it wouldn't even matter to you. You made an effort to regularly clean your room muttering something about weird small things that the naked eye can't see crawling about. Your parents thought that for a brief moment, you had gone mad when you hit your head. Dr. Jaeger has forewarned them about this, that during your recovery process, you might act differently than you used to along with bits and pieces of your memory being lost. For your parents though your recent habits and forgetfulness got a bit worrisome.

This another afternoon yet, and you hunted more animals for food. Some of them your mother had to give away to your new friend and some other neighbors because there's just too many that'll waste and rot if not cooked immediately. You had this sparkling thing about you as you enjoyed your hunting and logging in the woods. Sometimes you'd practice just archery. Your mother was happy enough to see that you're happy and are doing well. During times like these, her worried thoughts would wash away and she'd just gently smile at you.

"What do you want for dinner today?" Your mother asked you kindly. "Hmm, I want some rabbit stew please!" You replied enthusiastically. Your mother then turned to Niklas, your hunting and logging partner recently. "Niklas, I'll serve you and your mother some portion too. Send her my best regards for me." Your mother offered Niklas feeling embarrassed. "There's no need ma'am!" He said politely, "This much game Eve hunted for me is already plenty enough!"
You intervened while drinking your water, "Mother doesn't appreciate her goodwill being rejected Niklas, it's best to just accept it." Niklas chuckled embarrassingly, "I guess, thank you for the meal, Mrs. Cromwell!" He had no choice but to accept the rabbit stew that would be cooked later.

Did Eve hunt it for him? All of it?’

Your mother thought in confusion while cooking, she didn't pay it much thought just puzzled at your hunting spree and continuous practice. 

That same growing evening as the stew has just finished cooking, your father arrived from the vineyard. He spotted Niklas on the table beside you and you're surprised to see a stark contrast to the gentle countenance you grew up with that he'd glare at Niklas for a small minute. Poor nervous Niklas just accepted the serving of the rabbit stew and left hurriedly, he didn't even get to eat dinner anymore. You bid him farewell and he gave a weak smile. He then placed his knapsack down to sit on the dining then turned to you, "Eve, I knew you were passionate about hunting and helping at home but the vineyard farmers are starting to worry that you'll end up hunting all the animals in the forest. Give it a year or two for their numbers to recover then you can hunt again." You gave a weak laugh and smile in agreement.

You gave your father a stern knowing look and he replied without even denying it, "I still don't approve of that Niklas." He said crossing arms. You placed your cup down on the table a little too loudly, "But Father, I don't even see him that way. Cmon." Your father rebutted and continued picking up his spoon, "It doesn't matter. I know men and how they think."

You won't be here for the next year or the year after that though. You thought.
You were lost in your thoughts, as you arranged and allocated your SP in the status window. The number of stats you earned in training secretly in the woods. You learned that in this past month that no one else can see them but you.

This is it you thought. Time to tell them the truth. In the time that you were here, more memories of your parents in this world surfaced. You remembered the first time you tasted the grapes that you and your father harvested. Your small hands held the grape in your fingers that looked like a tiny ruby in deep red. You picked more of the grapes carefully and tucked them in the space you made in the hem of your skirt. Your father follows you teaching you more about these vineyards, "Child, these grapes will be the lifeblood of our family. Do you see this one? Even though it has already become mature, it'll take a bit more time for the grapes to sweeten. So don't pick these ones yet. You must be patient." Words you listened eagerly that you took them like words of wisdom.

Then there's a memory of your mother when she was teaching you to read. She was patient, was kind and you enjoyed the time you got to read the old book your mother got you from the library. You remember her cooking you a delicious cheese-stuffed bread when you managed to copy the letters in the book on your own initiative. She then taught you how to write your name.
She knelt down on the wooden floorboards of your room, lying on her stomach just like you are. While you were focused on trying to write your name with unaligned strokes, rough and wide.
You can hear her chuckling at your adorable attempt. You remembered her gentle voice guiding you while she held your small hand that held the graphite pencil to write your name. At some point, you lost focus and you ended up playing with the graphite smudges on your face and your mothers'. You can still remember the memory lingering so warmly in your heart.

They deserved to know from me at the very least.’

You thought putting down your cup of warm tea with much thought and silence.

"Mother," "Father, I want to join the Survey Corps." The silence broke the noise of you and your family dining. Your mother's gentle expression darkened into one of fear and anger. This is probably the first time you've seen her get angry since you got here. "Are you out of your mind?!" Your mother said slamming the table. "No one ever survives outside the walls just a lucky few. Don't be foolish Eve! You're not joining the Scouts."

"But mother,"

"No buts! I can allow you to go hunt and log wood as much as you want, I can allow you to meet Niklas as much as you want."

"I won't allow that one though," Your father voiced that out seemingly adamant about you getting closer to Niklas.

"But I will not let you go outside these walls! Just please stay with us Eve," Your mother's voice weakened at that last sentence.

"I'm sorry mother, father." Their expressions were grim especially that of your father. "I've already submitted my application."

Your father placed down his spoon on the plate his expression grim but resolved. "Is that what you really wanted, child?"

You looked at him not expecting the question. "Yes, father." Your mother aghast continued her refusal, "Dear, you can't be possibly allowing her to join the Survey Corps are you?"
"I always knew that a day like this will come. Your grandfather told me so." Your father said turning face you once more. "My grandfather?" You asked full of curiosity you turned to your mother and at this point, she was just looking down at the table her palms on her temples.
"Yes, my father was a soldier once in the Survey Corps I always admired the valiant wings embroidered on their backs, but I loved the vineyard and your mother more than any dreams outside these walls." He said finally confiding what seemed to be feelings he kept for far too long. "Your grandfather did not dissuade me of what I dreamed to do but he also told me to do the same to my child if I had a child that ever wanted to become a soldier. He said that once, before leaving for an expedition. That's the last time I ever saw him. So I won't stop you."
He then wrapped his arms around your now crying mother, you never felt more bad ever since you died and got here.

"Just promise us you'll be careful out there and come back home." Your father added he had a somber expression about him. You could've sworn that your father was doing his best to be strong for you and your mother as he fought back his own tears. He just can't bear to watch his daughter leave them, and way too soon.

You never saw a man as broken as he, before.

"Thank you, father and mother. I swear I'll come back home." You answered standing up and wrapping your arms around your worried parents. You steeled yourself. This year is the year 839, a few years before Wall Maria falls. You swore to your life that you would become a soldier and come back to your parents to save them from imminent death.

After an emotional night with your parents, you set yourself to prepare for the journey you'll have. Then the next morning you decide to craft and tinker about some things you may find necessary in your journey soon. Just as you were trying to find ways to better your version of a simple toothbrush and your modified costrel you stumble upon Dr. Jaeger who had just left Shinganshina and is passing by your town.

"Oh, Eve child how are you feeling? Is your leg healed already?"

"Ah doctor, there's still pain but it's tolerable. No worries."  You added. "Where will you be going doctor?"

"Ah, I have a patient somewhere within Wall Rose,"

"Ah I see, please take this with you as a sign of gratitude. It's a modified costrel with replaceable filters, it's still in the testing process but please do tell me what you think about it." You say handing him your newly made costrel. He looked at the said item and was surprised to see the very thin sheets inside, covering the costrel before a mouthpiece that conveniently helps with the drinking. "Fascinating." He said as he was inspecting the costrel. "You have a bright future ahead of you Eve. I'll give you what I think about its features after my journey ends. Thank you."
He smiled as you greeted each other with goodbyes. You noticed beads of sweat on the side of his forehead. His eyes tell you he hasn't been sleeping too well either. On top of that, his lips look pale and dry too.

Is it just me or does Dr. Jaeger look like he's going to get sick?’

*

You begin your daily grind for SP in the forests, you wander around the woods. You stealthily do so as you spot an ideal prey. It's a cute rabbit its ears unaware of the danger lurking around as you extend your arms in position. Aiming for the rabbit. You are actually quite a good shot, just not sure about the bow though. You were one of the top students in your criminology class and one of your specialties is that you're a good shot. You can't wait to get a gun around in this world. As you try to relax and focus, your beautiful form adoring your features and the scar of your injury make you look like a badass. You breathe very slowly careful that the rabbit might take notice of your presence. With a swift motion, you let go of the arrow from between your fingertips.

It hit the poor rabbit. You picked it up, and you took back the arrow from the bleeding rabbit. You then put it in your basket bag.

[ ! ]

You kept on hunting a couple more birds and other animals as you gained more SP. You feel bad for these animals but, you really don't want to get eaten by a titan for being so weak either. You sighed and resigned yourself to such fate. ‘That's just how it is,’ you guess. It took you the rest of the year to further improve on the things you'll need for daily necessities. Soon, the fateful day of your departure will take place, as you venture to join the Survey Corps!

 

Year 839,

Status: (Eve)

STR: 89
AGI: 50
DEX: 39
HP: 60/60
CONCENTRATION: 40
LEADERSHIP: 29
DEF: 20

[Note: An average soldier's stats would range from 30-40 while a normal man's stats would range from 10-29. Common stat limit 100.]

1