Episode 6: The ODM gear
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

You wake up to find yourself in your dorm room. Lying in one of the bunkbeds, well your bunk bed. You are currently alone, in the summer mid-day heat. You feel a throbbing sensation on your head. You touch it for support, and you feel a bandage wrapped around your head.

Ugh.. that's just great

The last thing you remember was falling and hitting your head the second time.

I definitely failed.. what do I do now? I can't join the Survey Corps like this!

You thought to yourself.

Should I just try to monopolize the market with modern goods, help the Survey Corps funding, and send anonymous letters of warning ahead?

You smile to yourself as the thought of working badassery in the background amuses you. You fill your head with cool images of you doing all sorts of things and planning things ahead.

A wealthy merchant in day,
Then a badass hottie, that fights crime at night

Just like Batman!

That sounds plausible enough.

Just as you were amusing yourself with this "possible" other option in case you were to fail the evaluation on becoming a soldier, you heard a knock and the door opening.

"Oh Eve, you're awake!" Jina beams at you, snapping you back to reality. "She's definitely thinking something weird just now," Kate says with suspecting eyes at you as she enters the room. You gave a small laugh, "She didn't even deny it!" Kate muttered to herself, now forever changing her impression of you. "We have news for you!" Jina says interrupting Kate, "You passed but, the instructor said that you'll need to practice some more but you have to be... awake this time." Kate then interjected, "Only for five days or less though!" She then added, informing you of the situation, "You were practically given a second chance." "I passed? But I failed! I spun and fell twice!" You exclaimed, puzzled as to why you even passed.

Jina and Kate looked at each other muttering a, "Huh?" in their voices. It seems to them that you have no recollection of how you passed, that you were able to stay still in perfect balance.
Kate gave a small laugh, "Well, I don't know what to make of this but you did well." She says stifling to hold back her laughter. "Wait, what's going on?" You say confused the feeling of FOMO creeping up your back. Jina gave a small laugh as well and you started to freak out. Kate finally managed to hold back her laughter, "Well you see Eve, the Instructor's face yesterday was perfect." She says slowly erupting to a chuckle. They told you how you managed to pass the evaluation except you fell asleep doing so. "How'd you manage to do that anyway? That was quite the stunt you pulled off on the instructor. You made the entire thing look like a joke." Kate adds with a chuckle. "Well I was in deep  focus, I guess?" You say scratching the back of your head shyly. 

They don't really understand but whatever it is, that's just you being the weird you. No other explanation makes sense other than that. Kate sits down with you on your bed as she ruffles your head, you wince in pain. "Oh, sorry." She says with a small smile, "The instructor will be giving you another chance so you can pass the evaluation, awake  this time." She said with a small smile. Jina interjects, "Ah this is the schedule the instructor told me to give to you." She then hands you a piece of paper with the information detailing the place and schedule of your intended training.

"Alright, you seem to be healing just fine," Kate says as she gets up in a relaxed manner. "Alright, let's go?" She adds going out of the door first and Jina follows her urging you to get up and get ready immediately.

*

Koen Wittman has been an instructor in the Training Corps for 4 years, ever since he lost his arm to a titan while he was defending the Walls during his time in the Garrison Regiment. In his time as an instructor, this is the first time he's ever heard of anyone gaining balance in the evaluation while sleeping but only to lose it when they're awake. He may not have made a notable reputation but he is dedicated as a teacher, just as he is dedicated in spotting talents.

Cromwell certainly did not slack off on her physical and tactical training. Not only that, she excels in hand-to-hand combat training. She has unique tactical combat skills that the military can adapt to in the future. The only downside I've ever seen is that I often caught her slacking off or not listening to lectures and orientation but despite that, she can answer whatever question that is asked of her. If I hadn't known any better I would've thought she received formal military training before her enlistment in the Training Corps.

He rubbed his temple with his hand in frustration. He could fail this Cromwell cadet immediately, but he has this nagging feeling that this cadet has a talent worth honing at the very least. He has to submit a report of the evaluation for this week. So, he could hold off submitting the evaluation he has for at least 5 more days.

Koen heaved a frustrated sigh, "Damn. Let's hope my superiors won't scold me for this and hear me with reasonable heads on their shoulders." He says as he sent word to tell you that you have but five days to get the evaluation right.

He flipped some papers to check and wondered if he should include you to practice sessions with other notable cadets this year round. Maybe you could learn a thing or two from your senior cadets.

*

You, Jina, and Kate arrive at the training grounds on the set schedule you were sent with. You notice, that there are many senior cadets scheduled in the training ground. Not only that, you notice that they were also pretty skilled too! You suddenly notice them looking at you like a lost puppy in the jungle. You were quite intimidated by their presence. You wondered and checked the piece of paper you have containing the order and schedule of your training. There's nothing wrong with it, you're at the right time. You begin to wonder if there's anything wrong with the schedule. Maybe a mix-up? You don't know. "There's nothing wrong with the schedule though, we arrived at the right time," Jina said looking at the paper in your hands. "Maybe a mix-up? It's possible right?" Kate interjected. They were also thinking and feeling the same. Then the three of you noticed Koen Wittman approached you three. His eyes still gave off that intimidating look. "Cromwell, get in the formation." He then turns to look at the other two, "Don't you have any other duties?" "Y-yes sir! We just accompanied Eve here as she had just recovered." Kate said in their defense Jina nodded in agreement."Alright, you two are dismissed." Wittman said then Kate and Jina saluted before walking away and mouthing you a whisper, "Good luck!".


Aww these two!

You mouthed a "Thank you" back, while you were tagging along with Koen Wittman to the other senior cadets. "Attention!" Wittman snapped the senior cadets back to their formation. You noticed the difference in discipline the senior cadets have. It certainly looks a lot better to see them in sync in their formation like this. "This is Cadet, Eve Cromwell. She'll be partly joining you on certain schedules during your training. Please welcome her and teach her the things you were already taught." He said then he turned to a certain cadet. "William Keys," to which the said cadet responded with a salute, "I'll be assigning Cromwell to your training squad." The instructor added. "Yes sir!" William replied. The instructor motioned you to go into formation with a pat on your back. You do as you're ordered.

You follow intently on the training your seniors are doing. At times the William guy will give you pointers on what to do on the training but since you've received formal training in your past life before, you pick up these things much quicker. "Instructor Wittman informed me where should I be giving you more tips about,"  William interjected while you were gathering yourself for the break. "Thank you for the time." You say with an apologetic smile. "No, no. It's alright. Instructor Wittman would do this to me every now and then throwing me to teach younger cadets a thing or two here. Cadets he finds potential in." He says looking at you with a smile. You flinch but you managed to get ahold of yourself. "So you've done this before?" You ask. "Well yea just a few times." He says as he leads you to the contraption for core balance from the rudimentary basics evaluation. "Here," He says motioning you to get under the contraption. He helped you attach the wires to the belt of your waist. At first, you begin to struggle and sway like you did before but you gotta admit he does give good pointers and now you're no longer losing balance. You're perfectly in control not even stiff, struggling, or swaying. "Yay!" You exclaimed in happiness.

William widened his eyes before saying, "Well you didn't even need my help. I wonder why Instructor Wittman even brought you to train with your seniors in the first place." He says while chuckling, "You'll do good Cromwell. You have talent." Then he patted his hand on your head.
You smile. "Still, thanks. William." You say before he winds the contraption to bring you down. "I'm your senior, c'mon address me properly." He says with a small laugh this time giving you a head pat more roughly. You move his hand away in a joking manner.

"Well, I'll go on ahead now to report your progress to the Instructor," William says before bidding you farewell. You walk back to your dorm with high hopes for your future in the Survey Corps. "Cromwell, it's time for your office training. I heard Section Commander Lena has been waiting for you in her office." You saw Kate by chance in the dorm lobby as she sat resting on her back. "Really? Thanks for informing me, Kate!" You say as you immediately head off to Section Commander Lena's office. Section Commander Lena is a Survey Corps officer who's currently stationed in the city to help manage and audit the funding of the Survey Corps that comes from the taxes and sends it directly to the Survey Corps headquarters administration. You don't really mind, being assigned to the least likable regiment but, you don't like dealing with numbers especially if it's someone else's money!


Ugh.. math..

You groaned at the realization of what work you'll be doing from now on as you travel toward where Section Commander Lena is.

"Don't worry you won't be doing any of that." Section Commander Lena said curtly. "We handle sensitive numbers here regarding the funding of the entire Survey Corps, I can't let a cadet take part in big responsibilities like these." She said with a gentle smile. You had just entered her office with a weary expression and she made sure to give clarity to what you'll have to do to assist her. "At best I'll have you prepare simple forms, and have you send reports personally to the Commander." She says as she looks at you with a serene expression. She then started teaching you a thing or two regarding your daily tasks within the office. The sun had set and the moon came to grace the night with her light.  As you rode your horse on the way back, you decided to hunt animals or kill insects on your way to casually farm some SP. It's late by the time you come back. You wrote in your journal and continued on your routine. Eat, take a bath then sleep.

You look at the ceiling of the bunk bed above you. 

Just a bit more, I'll be stronger from here on.

*


As the day came to an end Section Commander Lena looked over the documents you did one last time.  After she's done checking it she placed it separately on a counter that'll be sent for tomorrow. She had heard good things about you during your time in the Training Corps. She's reminded of her younger self in you back then. Her eyes filled with serenity and wisdom watched you like a sharp eagle as the moon waned at night. She stood there, looking out the window, her dark and grey short locks framing her stern countenance quite beautifully, making her look deceptively young.

A free-spirited child.

She thought that maybe people like that weren't suited to be in the military, especially the Survey Corps. However, the line of work outside the walls is exactly what draws in free-spirited people like her and you.

The anti-expedition faction has been pressing for cutting the funding and eventual disbandment of the Survey Corps. This had been difficult for the regiment ever since. Which in turn, has pushed the Survey Corps to desperately show results in the expedition but without success in every return. She glanced at her legs and balled her fists.

If only ...

Her best bet so far was to find and hone skilled soldiers who could help the Survey Corps. That's the only solution she can find. They are terribly lacking in numbers and in skilled men who could very well help with their cause. Well, she did find a number of possible recruits and has already forwarded the information to Section Commander Erwin.

I just might add this one to the list as a follow-up.

She kept her thoughts to herself as she drank tea while looking outside the window watching as you begin to leave and return to your dorm in the Training Corps.

*

Months passed of route lecture and physical training and the awaited day came and now the phase to train your ODM gear skills. Perhaps only the lessons pertaining to the functionality, use, and drills regarding the ODM were the only class you were focused on. Finally, the day to put all that theory and physical training to application has come, and man, you are pumped!

You remember the time during your vertical maneuvering training. Well, it's essentially similar to rock climbing but with the added thrill of Instructor Wittman suddenly cutting off your lifelines. According to him, it's to test your reaction speed and adaptability in such situations and anyone who dies from that triviality will die anyway in the face of a titan anyway. You can't help but agree but come on, isn't that too harsh? You are so grateful that your hands did not sweat as much as you thought it would. Because damn you won't survive the fall and you know it. For a second then, you wondered if that girl in the dream space would heal you again the same way she did when you first got here. At some point of your spacing out, Instructor Wittman cut off your lifeline and if not for your DEX stats and your incredible leg strength, you would've definitely died. For the next few months, all you did was focus on your leg strength.

As you are now, you still felt inadequate, in everything about your skills. So you tried to do your best to increase your stats by either physical training or hunting and cleaning. As you set your gear carefully, you check if everything is secure. This time around the training finally requires the ODM gear! In the series, it's pretty much the treat and the highlight in fighting the titans. You were never been so pumped to try this baby out!


You follow the direction of your fellow cadets. You and your fellow cadets are made to march in an orderly fashion, a discipline that you've already engraved in your bones. In the training grounds are scattered titan dummies with foams on their legs and necks. You are to practice and cut the nape while performing three basic ODM drills. You held the hand grips of your equipment and decided to explore your equipment fiddling with it.


You aim, push the trigger and it shoots the anchors to the titan dummy's leg.

Hmm...

Had you decided to reel yourself immediately you would lose balance without the other anchor hooked to another surface. So you decided to pull the anchor first and then did the same process but with the two hand grips. You push the trigger and then reel yourself upwards by pushing another trigger for the gas.

You flew.

Your eyes widen at the experience.

At first, you decided to play around while maneuvering, exploring the things you could do with it before trying to immediately slice the nape. As you are already getting used to it, you try to perform a drill and then another. Just as you were onto the 3rd drill, your gas failed you and you almost fell to the ground. But because you have been training for this for nearly 8 months, plus your stats, you're able to land skillfully on the ground.

"Cromwell! Stop playing around you're wasting gas!"

"Apologies sir! Copy that sir!" You say with a shy smile.

You then returned back to your titan dummy and decided to finish performing the 3 most basic drills. The first one is to maneuver around the titan to slice the back of their feet. The second is to be able to dodge mid-air in case the titan grabs you, so you perform a dodge and then an additional spin, this is to ensure that in case you are grabbed you can still slice their fingers and escape. The last basic drill is to aim your hooks at the feet, then pull the hooks mid-air while air-boosting your engine to spin then reshoot them again to slice the neck. The most important part to successfully slicing the neck is to boost yourself while you reel yourself in. Otherwise, the cut will be too shallow and won't be effective in killing a titan.

"Cromwell is the 3rd to finish the basics! Cromwell, move to the forest training ground! This time no playing around!"

You salute, and you move to the next field in your ODM.

This field however consists of a straight route from point A to point B of the forest. With the point B being the only exit of the forest. The titan dummies are either in plain sight or will present themselves in ambush. The cadets will have to find the titan dummies themselves. The forest is large with its supplies only one for every 20 kilometers. Meaning you must be mindful of your gas consumption. There are of course officers recording how many times you resupplied.

Training Corps officers will man the titan dummies and record whoever slices the napes of these dummies, in terms of speed, slice depth, and adaptability in maneuvering.

This is it! You smile to yourself as you speed through the forest. You decided to give your best in slicing. So the moment you spot a dummy, you propel yourself towards it, and give it its worth of your STR stats. Hack them like you mean it!

Your eyes glint in your speed as you make sure to hack it to death. Venting your entire month's worth of office stress, the stress at the thought of the anti-expedition faction continuously advocating for the disbandment of the Survey Corps, their corruption, and how their doing so is contributing somehow to many many deaths. You hacked all of your resolve to the poor dummy.

Your blades shattered at the moment of impact, but you knew you sliced them deep. You quickly released your blades and replaced them with new ones in mid-air.

You did not even spare it a second glance as you released the hooks and anchored it immediately to the next dummy and hacked it all the same.

Your blades broke again but you replaced them once more.

Rinse and repeat you're getting used to this as you do more of this until you are 'ambushed' by a dummy appearing in front of you. You release and spin almost at the same time to propel yourself sideways and hook your anchors to the nape. Hacking it again with all your might. Each time you do so your blades would break.

You quickly resupplied to the nearest station thinking to yourself.

All you could think about was your reason for wanting to join the Survey Corps, your family in Wall Maria, the future that only you knew about, and the deaths of many, many good people who deserved better. Your expression darkened at this thought, and you just know that this is the reason why you have to get stronger and do better in this exercise. Because you believed that only the strong had the privilege to choose.

You spot a dummy again and you see another cadet after it, with the worth of all your AGI stat you decide to boost yourself faster towards the dummy hacking it with all your might.

You did the same to the next dummy and the one after it. At full speed you're nearly out of the forest when two dummies 'ambushed' you once more. You had no other choice but to spin and maneuver under the titan dummies and quickly hack it with all your strength.

[ ! ]

You heard a popping sound.

Just as you were going for the other one, another cadet got to it first. It doesn't matter, since you are technically still allowed to slice it. Distracted, you only managed to slice it deep enough.

After that's done, you're out of the forest. That concludes your training. 

*

Kayle was maneuvering through the forest, and at the moment he had sliced 7 titan dummies and all were perfectly sliced. He was proud of his work as he is running up for the top 10. He prided himself with speed and strength that already cut him above the rest of his peers but most importantly it's his unique skill to be able to maneuver completely out of the others' senses. A trick he was taught by his uncle who was an officer in the Survey Corps. He decided to bring his legacy to this training.

Just as Kayle spotted the dummy and anchored the hook to the dummy to take his 8th dummy he propelled himself close suddenly someone who sped faster than him hacked the titan dummy with great strength. He was surprised and stopped by breaking his momentum with spinning movements to avoid bumping into it.

That was close...

...Eh?


He was about to slice the nape when he noticed, that the dummy's 'head' was a few ways before falling off. The target where the supposed nape was is sliced clean off in half.

"What the hell?" He exclaimed to himself as he maneuvered on a nearby tree. He looked down at the officer who was watching the dummy and in charge of recording it, and he was as shocked as he was. He looked around for more dummies he could use and he just noticed that there were a few more in the forest that had its head clean off. He didn't see it earlier because there was no head protruding in the first place!

Kayle felt shivers down his spine when he wondered what kinda monster could do such a thing.
He went on and continued to just finish his training.

*

You finished your training and landed to position once more in the formation line. You notice that there are still a few people who already reached the end of the forest. There are currently five people and you're the sixth person. A person landed next to you which makes it seven people who are currently the first ones to arrive. You notice some strong-looking cadets in the formation including your friend Kate! She waves hi and smiles at you but the same can't be said to the other four as they glare at you menacingly. 

They sure are competitive huh..


You joined the formation and waited for the rest for a while. "As you have guessed, this is not just a training but also a pre-evaluation of the fruits of your effort, your talent, and most importantly your worth! To measure if you're worth the time or a fucking waste of space!" Wittman's voice echoed through all of you. "Before your graduation, there will be a post-evaluation of your performance that will ultimately decide your rank. This is also a measure of how much you've improved from here on out, and how much more can you improve in years' time! So do your best cadets!" He added.


Your officers in the field including Wittman will evaluate your today's performance. You smile satisfied because you gave your everything and it looks like the future is bright!

Just as you were walking back to your dorm, a Cadet Corps officer found you, "Oh Cromwell, right on time." He says with a grin and you can tell it's not a good thing, "We were just looking for someone to assign on stable cleaning duty." Just like that, you're luck had you assigned to stables cleaning duty. Well from Eve's memories she did use to help around at home plus including the lectures you were given in the Cadet Corps, you were able to navigate your way into cleaning the stables. You approach the stables and you do not find Morn here. You worry about what could've been her fate now. She was gifted to you by your father after all. I should probably ask the Cadet Corps officers later about this. You first led the horse into fenced fields, allowing them some breath of fresh air and snack on some grass. Just as you come back to the stables to clean the manure off. 

"Oh Cromwell," A female Cadet Corps officer runs up to you catching her breath. "I had been meaning to tell you but you were always busy, and I kept forgetting about it so I didn't get to tell you." She says as she smiles shyly at you. "The horse you brought here before, don't worry she's being taken care of!" She smiles at you. "Where is she?" You ask worried. "She's being fed just fine, and the veterinarians actually found out she had some royal breed in her so they didn't stop her when she found a mate." She giggled shyly. They just really wanted every bit of good horse breeds into the roster huh? You winced since they didn't even bother to tell you and now that it has come up to you randomly like this. "As long she's doing okay. Is she?" You ask, still worried. "She is! She's currently pregnant with the baby horse. I'll be sure to tell you once they give birth." The Cadet Corps officer said acknowledging her earlier mistake. She's just probably ordered to it, you thought so she wouldn't be the target of your ire. "As long as Morn is doing okay." You say sighing letting it slide with a smile. "I haven't gotten the chance to know your name ma'am?" You ask so you'd have someone as a reference once you look for Morn. "Ah my name is Litze Pfeiffer. Feel free to come find me if you want to check on your horse." She says with a smile.

As you watched her leave, you continued cleaning off the manure in the stables. Then you proceeded to take and replace the hay. It was an arduous work. Cleaning the stables ended up in a very non-eventful day.



Year 839

Status: (Eve)

STR: 91 (2^)
AGI: 59 (9^)
DEX: 81
HP: 60/60
CONCENTRATION: 40
LEADERSHIP:29
DEF: 20

Status: (Kate)

STR: 58
AGI: 49
DEX: 81
HP: 100/100
CONCENTRATION: 35
LEADERSHIP: 30
DEF: 88

Status: (Jina)

STR: 38
AGI: 30
DEX: 39
HP: 100/100
CONCENTRATION: 50
LEADERSHIP: 36
DEF: 28

Status: (Kayle)

STR: 61
AGI: 50
DEX: 40
HP: 100/100
CONCENTRATION: 73
LEADERSHIP: 35
DEF: 10

[Note: An average soldier's stats would range from 30-40 while a normal man's stats would range from 10-29. Common stat limit 100.]

1