Chapter 3: Growing Up
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the course of 7 years the homestead had steadily changed from desolate damage to an upstanding pride. In time for Kenan’s second birthday, tragedy had struck its drum and the rolling thunder of nature played its tune. A roaring horde of beasts ripped the countryside fleeing the fires of war.

From that moment, the family's perspective of the house they had lived in had changed to a home as they watched it be torn asunder. Once the chaos settled, they hit the ground running.

A new farm was constructed from the flames of the old. The house was fully repaired and refurbished. Lucy had fumbled into an affinity with nature, and with the help of her mother, made a sprawling garden behind it. Kenan, while wholly ignorant of his actions, had attracted animals. A few horses of unknown origins, some escaped pigs, and a couple of wild chickens. In compensation, a stable was attached to the barn while it was renovated for farm animals. A coop was also constructed at its back.

The next project was underway. Tyris had used his abilities to clear and level a plot outside of their homestead’s fence. He had also bought and carried bags of seeds to the land. His wife and brother stood next to him overlooking his work.

“Y’all ready?” He asked.

“Yup,” Ava responded.

“Born ready,” Doco mumbled.

With earth-shaking strength, Tyris stomped. In seconds the ground started to vibrate and rumble. As if something was being erupted from deep within and was climbing to the top. Cracks formed in messy lines up and down the plot, moving dirt in shallow quantities as the power from Tyris emanated a deep yellow hue.

And then without an indication of power beforehand. The tens of bags were ripped to shreds and the thousands of seeds inside of them were lifted in the air. The lines were formed and connected at an imperceptible rate as the kernels were zipped to their respective jagged pockets of earth in a dizzying display.

“Show off.” Tyris clapped his hands and the magic conducted holes were snapped shut. “Hun’.”

Ava nodded in affirmation. Her hands flowed, moving in a lackadaisical pattern. The mana that emanated from her form propelled the image of her movements to the point of confusion. LIke sunlight through glass and water. Wind whipped in sudden anger and any moisture was sucked dry. She held her hands up like she was bearing the weight of the sky. Dark clouds quickly formed and released their potential. Heavy rain coated the plot. After a few moments, the storm dissipated and Ava let go of the concentration. “All done?”

***

Lucy was an adult now. Her beauty had flourished into her own stance from the bits and pieces given to her. The black hair of her mother transmogged with the brown-reddish of her fathers into a solid honey blonde. Her eyes shone a bright blue and her smile came easy with thin lips. Her delicacy had left her in favor of calloused maturity. Years of chores with Tyris, gardening with Ava, and the husbandry she had shouldered. Her strength and fortitude had grown into that of an old oak.

“Lucy?” Her hand stopped the progress of refilling one of the feeding troughs. She swiveled her head, and a young squirrel that was curled behind her neck skittered to the top of her scalp as it too investigated the disturbance.

A boy, no more than 7 years old, was lying on top of a fat pig as it made its way towards the new feed. Kenan, her brother. He hadn’t moved past his round face of boyhood yet. Black strands of hair peeked just past his ears and he had dark gray eyes.

“Yes Kenan?” she asked while she went back to work and her mind focused towards her tasks. She had been given the responsibility of Kenan. She didn’t mind. The days with him were a bit more fun and just as much less monotonous. Not to mention she didn’t really have to expand her duties. Oddly, the animals stopped him from diving too deep into trouble.

“Why did the foxes hunt the chickens?” Kenan asked. Lucy gave him a glance. The boy had spent day after day out in the sun, but he hadn't soaked any of it in.

“Because they were hungry.” She shrugged. With a relieved sigh, the final bits of feed were packed down. Without much thought, she pulled Kenan off the pig and started her way towards the stables. Her brother obediently followed.

“Why were they hungry?”

“I assumed they hadn’t eaten anything.” As she entered the stables, she grabbed a wheelbarrow and shovel. And then went into an empty stall and got to work

“Then weren't they just surviving?”

“Yes…” She looked back and saw him looking down. Guilt on his face. “What are you trying to ask?”

“Could we have just moved them?”

“No, Ken.” Another pile of manure further filled the wheelbarrow.”They would’ve just come back. They know the land better than we do.”

“But… they just wanted to live.’

“I know. Sometimes things don't work and what we did was just the way of things.” She looked back once more. He was looking down again, no. He was looking into his shirt and fabric at his stomach writhed. “Ken? What are you holding?”

“Nothin’!” The boy jumped.

The squirrel on her neck hissed in preparation for action. She put her hands on her hips. “I am going to find out one way or another.” Kenan froze for a second. He looked at his sister, and back to the form in his shirt. And then ran.

Green energy rose out from the ground, it sped up and attached itself to the kid's collar. The faint vibrancy of mana solidified to a dark green vine with flowers blooming on the sides and its power kept Kenan from the ground. The green obelisk cracked as it moved to show its catch to Lucy.

“They didn’t want to go! They were my friends!” He sniffled as he worked his hands into his shirt and then out. “I was given him because they said they would be sad if I didn’t take him.” Kenan produced a small fox cub. Black covered its fur from the nose as it slowly turned white towards the back. While young, it had its eyes open with a full gray color.

“What a weird lookin’ fox.”

0