Chapter 33: Nightmare Lantern
34 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 33: Nightmare Lantern

[Synthis Nexus]

Knock! Knock!

"Sir, I have received the report!"

Jason's attention was immediately attracted by the sudden interruption. He quickly looked at the door of the room before tapping a button on his table.

As a result of which, releasing steam in a small quantity, the door opened. Behind the door was a young man in his twenties with brown hair.

"Come in, Deo." As he said, Jason put down the tab in his hand and picked up silver glasses with blue stripes and a square frame. Swiftly he put on the glasses.

"Did you find where those vermins are? Or at least their traces?"

While saying those words, he tapped on the corner of his glasses. These were digital glasses that allowed him to view the files and reports digitally.

"Yes, master, we found them but..."

"But?"

"Those cultists somehow managed to activate the nightmare flames even further."

"What!!!" Noticing that his master was going to have a rage outburst, Deo immediately leaped forward, pressing a button on the table and closing the door. As a student, at least he could do this much, so that his master's honorable reputation doesn't go down the drain.

"Bullshit! I joined this work because I only wanted to work from 9 to 5 and receive all the money. But then bastards like these people force me to work from 5 to 9 too!" He stood up, as his right fist connected to the table producing a booming sound.

"Godamnit! Son of a gun, motherfcking cnts, I'll go to their future graves, spit on it, and then smuggle all their organs! They'll sell for quite a sum, enough for pocket change."

Deo, the brown-haired youngster, looked at his troublesome master as his lips twitched. In front of others, his image as an honorable higher-up of Law Enforcers was set in stone, but he clearly knew this was a money-hungry cheapskate, and a lazy person who wanted to avoid all work.

Undoubtedly being a 5th Tier Chain Breaker, he was strong, and had a strong sense of justice unlike other higher-ups, but sometimes his personality would act up.

As Jason stood up, his well-toned body and hulking muscles were evident. Even at the age of sixty, most of his hairs were black with only some strands of white.

Deo looked at his innovative master, who was creating new words and blabbering some shit. In frustration, Deo could just click his tongue which, of course, didn't escape Jason's eyes. He looked at Deo, while narrowing his eyes.

"Young man, did you just click your tongue at me?"

"N-no, it must be something else."

"Hmm."

After calming down, he looked at Deo and said. "Where's it?"

Seeing that his master had become serious, Deo also adorned a serious look as he replied. "Master, it's in the 'Prison,' it has become too dangerous."

"Take me to the 'Prison' now." Jason's deep voice echoed. He strode forward from his blue desk, and grabbed a fancy-looking coat with five golden stars on each shoulder. This was his uniform and identity as a higher-up of the Law Enforcers.

"Yes, master, right away!" Jason strode out of the door. Deo followed him. People passing the interior walkways within the building looked at the Law Paladin, with awe in their eyes.

After all, he was one of the greatest and strongest Paladins out of the ten Paladins, also known as the ten knights. Just below the three masters or the three heads.

"Afternoon, Sir Paladin."

"Law Paladin, Sir."

"Paladin Chief."

Jason just returned a warm smile to the people before continuing his walk. Many of the people also greeted the Genius of Law Enforcers, Deo.

After a few more warm greetings, Jason reached the elevator and with another click, he entered it. Looking at the options to choose from, Jason stretched his left finger.

Floor 0

With five seconds, he had reached his destination. With a mechanical Ding, the sliding door of the elevator opened, showing him what lay behind it.

Floor 0. This was where the entrance to the 'Prison' was present. One of the most dangerous places within this particular subsidiary headquarters.

Both of their moods had become quite solemn as they continued their journey within the dark Floor 0, reaching a gate-like structure.

He gave a simple wave to the monitor beside the gate, as a result, another round of faint steam was released followed by the opening of the gate.

Prison... This was the so-called Prison.

Deo took a few deep breaths. Such an environment would always creep the hell out of him. It wasn't his fault; instead, it was the fault of the Keeper codenamed Wraith that protected this area.

Not saying anything, Jason strode forward. Naturally, Deo followed him, passing by many empty cages. Soon, they spotted many figures dressed in the official outfit of the Law Enforcers.

"Paladin Jason's here."

"The original wielder of the Nightmare Lantern?"

"Yeah."

Jason and Deo soon joined this group of people who had surrounded an empty-looking cage.

"Since Sir Jason's here too, now I'll remove the seal," one of the members said. Seeing that no one had objected, he walked toward the cage and disabled his ability - Concealment.

It was as if the space within the cage was messed up with, slowly revealing what was present within the cage. It was a weird lantern, with a circular switch around its bottom. This lantern looked somewhat dirty.

There was an ominous pale green fire flickering within the lantern. He then unlocked the cage but did not dare to touch the lantern. The one who brought back this lantern was already dead.

'Bunch of cunts,' Jason thought within his mind as he walked toward the cage and thrust his hand forward.

So what if the curse has grown stronger? I once fought the curse while fighting another cursed creature.

He grabbed the lantern from its handle. The crackling of the fire intensified.

The next second, illusory murmuring within his head broke out. Murmurs akin to ravings of a corrupted being that had descended into madness.

Ancient structures appeared in front of him. In front of the ancient castle was a headless knight, with a great sword in his hand. The next second, the illusion broke.

"Master, are you alright?" Deo asked with concern in his eyes as he looked at his master. Though this master of his was very troublesome, he was a great man, and some of his flaws were overlooked. He was also a great teacher too.

"Haa, I'm fine. Don't worry, you little brat." Though he felt a little light-headed, he didn't express it.

'Looks like I'll be visiting the weapon store owner again...'

 

4