Chapter 3 – Boundaries, Mia
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It has been around a year since my reincarnation. And I could finally walk. It was one of the best experiences of my life. I had no idea just how much I had missed the feeling of standing on my two feet.

 

I was currently running around the house, trying my best not to stumble and fall face flat onto the ground. Just because I could walk didn’t mean I had full control of my legs. Stopping by the hearth, I took a moment of respite, before taking off again. Practice makes perfect.

 

“Don’t run too fast, kay?” Mia said. She was preparing lunch and was currently cutting some herbs that filled the room with a weird odor that stung my eyes.

“Kay!” I continued my ‘training’. This will work, eventually.

 

Almost instantly, I veered off course and bumped into a chair, falling onto my back. Fortunately, I wasn’t that fast, but it still hurt like hell. My eyes landed on the roof, the once near-pristine roof that I had seen when I was born. It was covered in countless dark dots. Signs of decay. It hadn’t shown signs of stopping, nor had I seen Mother or Mia making any efforts to repair it.

 

“You okay?”

“Ya!”

 

A knock rang from the door. Without delay, Mia opened the door and greeted the visitors with a bow. It was the group of boys. I frowned. Every day, like clockwork, they would gather. Mia said that they were trying to be nice, but I doubted that. Because each day, without fail, they would leave in a stomping fit of rage.

 

And it seemed today was not an exception. I laid perfectly still as I listened in on their conversation. It started off with normal small talk such as “The weather’s nice!” “Are you selling, Mia?” and simple “Hey”s. But, just as I had expected, it soon spiraled downhill. “We should hang out!” “Come on, just once?” “Please, Mia?”. It was a repetitive, simple, but annoying routine that they had.

 

“My sister is an angel, you people don’t deserve her,” I grumbled, but it sounded more like gurgling.

 

“Is that your brother?” One of the boys pointed at me. “You should let us in and play with him.”

“Yea, come on, Mia. We’d love to spend some time with him.”

 

I perked my head up in alarm, but they took it as agreement. “You see, even he got excited by the idea.”

 

Mia bit her lip, as though actually contemplating the absurd idea. No! I don’t want to mingle with these imbeciles! I thought. But thankfully, Mother came to the rescue.

 

I didn’t know when she had appeared, but she was glaring at the boys with venomosity that rivaled a snake’s. One of them caught the stare and tried to mutter to the others, but when Mother’s gaze landed on him, he stiffened. Suddenly, he was so interested in the ground.

 

“Boys, what do you think you are doing?” Mother’s voice was toneless, yet still caused a shiver to run down my spine. And it wasn’t even directed at me. One particularly courageous boy spoke up. “We’re here to purchase your daughter’s wares, Madam Sterling.” But he winced when Mother’s gaze landed on him.

 

“No worries, you may purchase them when she heads to the Plaza later. I’m sure you know when she will be there.”

“But-”

“Out.” She pointed a finger.

 

The boys grumbled, but eventually left the door. Mia sighed in relief. “Thanks, Mom.” But her gaze lingered on their departing figures.

 

“Now get back to preparing lunch.” Mother said as she returned up the stairs.

“Yes, Mom,” Mia replied but didn’t get a response.

 

I frowned. This has happened many times. And each and every day, they would be let off the hook without punishment. Why? They were taking stalking to another level. I hated them. Those types of people were the worst. Those that encroach your personal space on a whim. As though you were invisible. They were true scum.

 

I looked down at my hands and sighed. I’d thought I would have at least gotten a grasp on magic by now. Maybe gain the ability to sense mana or the like. But no matter how long I spent meditating, chanting, making hand signs. Nothing, nothing at all. No results to speak of.

 

I waved my hands up in frustration, but Mia took it as a proclamation of the need for a hug instead. “You always cheer me up, Aura.” She said as she wrapped her arms around my body, and I reciprocated it. You too, Mia, you too. I thought.

 

———

 

While Mia went and continued preparing lunch, I laid on the ground. The event had snuffed out the motivation to practice my steps, so I was currently staring mindlessly at the roof. One blemish. Another. A third. I wondered if there’s a ‘How to Magic’ book I could read.

 

Alright, my next goal: Wait until my teeth grow and then beg Mother to buy me a book on magic. No, I should ask Mia to ask Mother. Mother would be more likely to listen to Mia than me. But would she even agree? She’s practically forbidden discussion on magic.

 

“Time for lunch, Aura!” Mia called, snapping me out of my thoughts. As if on cue, a mouth-watering aroma permeated the building, bringing literal drool to my lips. My body jolted upright, and I glided over to the table.

 

Footsteps rang down the stairs as Mother came to join us. Today’s meal was the usual. A Hot stew of various herbs and vegetables, skillfully mixed to bring the most flavor out of them as possible. I eagerly awaited my bowl, and the moment it was set in front of me, downed it in one go. “Sekons!” My faulty teeth managed to produce.

 

That managed to garner a laugh from Mia, but Mother’s cold, indifferent expression did not waver. I tried my best to ignore it, but it felt overwhelming, as though she was trying her best to scream ‘I’m upset’.

 

“So, how was your day?” Mia began.

“Good.”

 

Silence overtook the conversation.

 

“I see you are learning to cook well.” Mother said as she took a mouthful of soup.

“Yes. I have a great teacher.” Mia smiled.

“You flatter me.”

 

You could hear the crackling of flames.

 

“You didn’t need to be so harsh on those boys.” Mia finally broke the silence.

“Nonsense. They were harassing you.”

“It wasn’t on purpose.”

“How can you be sure about that?” She raised her voice.

 

Mia’s mouth opened, then closed. Mother’s stare bore into her, and she averted her gaze.

“Even you do not believe it.” Mother waved her hand dismissively.

 

Mia did not refute her. Mother closed her eyes, furrowed her brows, and sighed deeply. “Everyone has boundaries, Mia. You need to learn how to set them.”

1