Chapter 6: The Next Step
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After all this time, there was little chance his family hadn’t already been laid to rest, and given the manner of what had befallen them, Rohl knew there was only one place they could be, the temple of Thanatos in Elon.

Its priests and worshippers had likely performed all manner of rites and rituals so that their souls could begin the journey to the afterlife unscarred by their deaths. And whilst these rites were likely long over and his family laid to rest in consecrated ground, there was still a slim chance that Rohl could reach out to their souls before they finished their journey. There was still a chance he could say goodbye.

And even if he had missed that opportunity as well, there was no part of Rohl’s soul that could refuse going to find that out for himself. But of course, Rohl’s burning desire to see those he loved was not a desire effortlessly fulfilled, it was easily a two-to-three-day journey to the Church of Thanatos in Elmon and whilst Rohl was hardly a stranger to such long hard work, doing it in his current condition was another matter entirely.

His body was tired, drained and in poor condition, making the journey a rather daring prospect, on top of that he had no supplies, weapons or even clothes beyond what the panacea had given him. The blessing provided opportunities but without knowing what it did, it was little more than a grim solace and something best kept secret.

With some luck, there could be some travellers I could tag along with, if not fuck it. I won’t leave my family any longer than necessary, I need to see them before they begin their journey. I need to see them. When I avenge you, I hope you can rest easy and forgive me.

It was hardly a well-thought-out plan, but it was all Rohl had, either way, he would be making that journey even if that meant going alone, foraging for food and fighting barehand if need be.

Besides, even if he came across a well-armed merchant caravan, the roads were always dangerous, monster or man could claim even a well-armed traveller and besides, if there was one thing Rohl had learnt from his terrible experience, was that safety was little more than an illusion.

What do I have to lose anyhow?

With no reason to delay, Rohl slowly let his right leg fall from his bed and onto the stony floor below, once he was sure it was capable of taking his weight, he let his other leg drop before moving shakily to his feet.

Get a grip. They are dead and here I am barely able to stand. Do better for them.

The rather unfortunate thought did little to help his grieving heart or bring about any joy about being blessed, but I did at least push him to stumble forward before gripping the bedside table harshly.

After taking a second to reaffirm his stance, Rohl quickly pocketed the few possessions that had been kept for him, which given his rather unprepared state meant only his ukatar and a singular twilling.

It’s all I have for now, will they even let me go back… I,I don’t want to go back. I can't go back.

It was hardly the equipment you’d expect from someone with such an impossible goal as his, slaying a sacrilegious beast was hardly something done on a whim but with nothing to lose and no reason to stay any longer, Rohl pushed his unsteady legs away from the nightstand and slowly made his way towards the door.

How long it had been since Rohl had last stretched his muscles, he didn’t know but the walk definitely helped shake away some of the stiffness he was carrying, by the time he had hobbled to the door and leant against it, his legs were already starting to feel a little better.

Well at least all of me isn’t dead inside.

After a handful of somewhat steadier steps, Rohl finally came to the conclusion that he wasn’t actually wearing any shoes and after a slow trip back to his bedside to change that, Rohl was finally ready to leave the small bland hallway that separated his room from what appeared to be the panacea’s main chamber.

Every open door he passed revealed little more than an identical bed, nightstand and bedding with almost no difference between any of the rooms. And with none of them offering Rohl any sort of distraction as he limped down the hallway, it didn’t take him long to traverse it and emerge in the central chamber.

Just as he had anticipated, the hallway had delivered him into the temple’s centre, the statue honouring Panacea, the Goddess of Remedies was enough to confirm that belief to him. A statue of the goddess were a staple of every panacea and this one was no different. Despite Furbrough being a rather small town just off Offa’s central road, the masons had clearly not spared any expense on the statue, the goddess’s figure reached almost to the ceiling and easily dwarfed the few attendants who were praying beneath it. They had even managed to capture the goddess’s youthful appearance within the stone statues moulding.

To add to that, the crafters had even included flecks of gold within her long hair and atop the caduceus that was held proudly within the statue’s right hand. Candles of all shapes and sizes were lit at her feet with fresh flowers placed around the statue’s base. It was hardly a surprise to see such a magnificent depiction of any of the gods never mind one as revered as Panacea.

Rohl chosen of Euterpe. I am thankful for the blessing, I will surely need it, but in truth, I know very little of my goddess or even what she looks like for that matter.

After quickly shaking away such thoughts, Rohl hastily made his way past the kneeling attendants before stopping just before what he assumed to be the building’s exit.

They have been good to me. I should at least say thank you and let them know I’m leaving.

With that in mind, Rohl turned back around and moved to approach an open door that seemed to lead into a small office and possibly storage area if the cabinets crammed with bottled ingredients were anything to go by.

With narrowed strained eyes, Rohl could just about make out a few of the labelled ingredients that stood neatly stacked on the shelf just opposite the doorway.

Lavender, Coriander, wormwood and nightshade or at least night something.

They were the only names Rohl recognised out of the myriad of herbs, however, there were a few ingredients that any previously inspiring adventurer would have known, grounded mimic fangs were a common ingredient in many toothache-related remedies after all.

After quickly shaking himself from his distracted state, Rohl returned to his original reason for entering the small office, that was to inform the young-looking healer of his departure.

Do I know her?

The realisation hadn’t come immediately but after a second of thought, the memory returned to him, the young healer had been in his room at some time, whether that was during one of his brief waking moments of agony or from when he had met Healer Springwood, Rohl couldn’t be sure.

“Uh, hello.” Rohl’s somewhat mumbled words were clearly audible to the two beings in the room but despite that, no response was forthcoming. Instead, the young healer seemed far too distracted to have even realised that another presence had entered the room.

She was wearing the standard white robes that most healers wore, however, her hood contained a few streaks of blue, a feature Rohl knew was reserved for apprentices of the trade.

She must be his apprentice.

Even with Rohl’s scrutiny, the young girl still hadn’t realised his presence, the apprentices’ green eyes remained fixed on the selection of ingredients and broken jars before her. If that wasn’t already a deep enough clue of what had likely occurred, the beads of sweat that clung to her face were. To only add to the stressed appearance the healer had donned, her hands tugged nervously at the red ribbon that had been tied around her sleek blond hair.

Rohl was hardly great at deducing clues but even he could figure out the healer had likely broken a handful of jars and was now desperately attempting to separate the likely expensive ingredients.

Should I just leave her to it, it’s either her or the praying attendants. Best her.

The healer’s intense struggle continued to rage on before Rohl’s very eyes, even after several attempts to garner her attention. He faked coughed, awkwardly tapped his foot and even not so subtly fidgeted around the room but even after all that, the healer had failed to so much as glance in his direction.

Ah, screw it.

With every other option failing, Rohl finally decided to pace back towards the open door before knocking loudly upon it.

An action, Rohl soon regretted.

In a flurry of startled movements, the young nurse jumped backwards in her chair, all whilst further scattering the multitude of ingredients around her. To only add to her misfortune, the nurse’s chair collided with the drawers behind her, further sending another two jars to break upon the stone floor.

“Ah fucking, fuck, fuck. What the hell did you do that for?” the apprentice all but yelled, before quickly reeling herself back in upon noticing Rohl’s now startled appearance.

After a slow deep breath, the nurse seemed to regain her composure before taking a step towards Rohl with her arms laid gently against her stomach in what seemed to be her best impression of a relaxed comforting presence.

“I do apologise for my outburst and for my future digressions. I am not sure if Healer Springwood has told you, but I am his apprentice, Healer Lily, unfortunately, I seemed to have fallen afoul of a local trickster spirit. They do always seem to enjoy messing with the goddesses’ servants and the strict mannerisms of our order. Now, please, how can I be of help?” With that the nurse placed all her attention on Rohl, completely disregarding the mess of ingredients that surrounded her.

Uhh.

It took Rohl a second to fully comprehend what the nurse had said, as well as recover from the rather unexpected telling-off he had received. After finally recovering, Rohl quickly wiped the startled expression off his face before finally giving his reasons for being there.

“It’s fine, I was just coming to say goodbye, I think it’s time for me to leave now.”

It was almost immediately clear to Rohl that the nurse didn’t agree with his decision, the almost deathly worried expression and sorrowful eyes told him that.

“If that is your wish, I will not stop you. However, given your ordeal, I can only recommend that you stay a little while longer and take as much time as you fucking need to heal and rest.” The nurse’s reply was clearly one of caring despite the swearing. To only add to her worried aura, the nurse did appear to be looking over every ounce of Rohl, as if she was searching for any possible sign that he could drop dead.

“Thank you, but I can’t. I don’t know how much time I have before they.…”

Rohl’s words did seem to alight a spark of recognition within the young nurse.

“Of course, then at least before you go, take this.” At that, the nurse quickly swivelled around before fishing out a small jingling coin purse from one of the table’s drawers.

“A small portion of the temple’s donations, enough to get you to Elmon. Our duty of care goes beyond these walls and none of us could bear to let you and the other survivors go without at least some resources.”

With slow unsure hands, Rohl slowly reached out to take the offered coin purse, “That’s, uh very kind of you… thank you.”

The gesture was clearly one made from true heartfelt care and something that almost made Rohl tear up once again as he gently took the lifeline that had been offered to him. Just to make sure he didn’t start crying once again, Rohl turned his head away from Lily’s softly smiling face, however before he could fully process his touched feelings, a sudden realisation took over him.

Who else survived?

“Did you say, other survivors?”

“A Tarquin Gallehay and one Petire Honberry, I’m afraid they both twatted off a few days after arriving. It is believed their established blessing assisted in their recovery,” Lily answered with a small blush. The tricksters’ spirits curse, whilst subtle was clearly enough to embarrass the young nurse.

Still, Rohl paid that no mind as he contemplated the other blessed’s survival.

They could have waited; we could have at least shared our grief.

“If that is all, then I will remind you to please visit any healer should you feel your condition worsening, I’m sure both the healer and I will keep an ear out for news of your wellbeing.”

“I will and thank you. I owe you all so much.”

“It is our great pleasure.”

With that, Rohl gave the nurse one last sad smile before slowly making his way back out the office door.

0